Nitrous Discuss dry, wet, and direct port nitrous setups. How many shots can you handle?

Something I'm thinking about doing...

Old 08-18-2011, 07:49 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by krazy6
That controller sounds pretty awesome!

Make sure you check the solenoids often though. Pulsing really beats up the solenoids.
After measuring everything again, I decided that I would use my existing NOS Cheater/NX Iceman solenoids for the 75-shot test. I can mount the three solenoids on the aluminum sheet, lying down. I ordered a 4AN-4AN 3" and 6" hose last night - these will let me spread out the solenoids a bit. I'll have the usual nitrous purge and a fuel bleeder jet installed.

While I'm waiting for hoses, I'm going to get my bunch of 15lb bottles filled and weighed and track down some more VP MS-109 fuel. Probably 10 gallons, if I can find another 5-gal can. Storing this fuel in plastic jugs is a Bad Idea. You can see the level drop in one week!

If everything works, I'll order the NX Max-3 unit and the new NX Lightning solenoids to match, then install the whole thing. I need to bring the Master Disarm switch into the cabin, and mount the Max-3 in there as well. Then maybe I'm ready to go out and play...
Old 08-19-2011, 11:42 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Last night I cleaned up my six 15lb nitrous bottles, and today I took them over to be filled up. The shop thought they might be low on nitrous, so I'll call Tuesday or Wednesday to check. I know that a couple are 1/2 full (I weighted them all) and others are empty, so this won't be cheap. At $4.75/lb, if I had to completely fill all six, that's 90 lb of nitrous, which would cost $464 with local tax. I'm guessing around 50-55 lbs for the six fills, which is closer to $285.

I also located and ordered two special adapters, (NOS 17953) from a 1/8" NPT thread to 3/16" thread with a flare jet holder, so I can T-connect this adapter to the fuel solenoid input and bleed out the air through a small jet back to the fuel return line, back to the tank. No more bubbles in the fuel.

Note: (The last two 4AN hoses have been shipped.)

Last edited by grey99max; 08-19-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:20 AM

6 bottles ? and were not talking about liquor here !

looking good so far grey !
Old 08-20-2011, 02:45 PM

You can never have too many bottles!
Old 08-20-2011, 03:25 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

You can never have too many bottles!
True - you should see the Jose Cuervo bottles I have stashed away!

That six bottles is not really very much - I run two bottles together, so the pressure doesn't drop much during a run, and I don't have to use those amp-eating bottle heater pads - two of those use 480 watts, which is 40 amps from the battery. When I was running a 175-shot on the quarter-mile, I could only get three full passes with two bottles, then they are done. You can't full more than 1/2 out of a bottle before the N2O is no longer a liquid, and you lose power.

Those six bottles are good for maybe nine 200-shot passes - so if I have a busy track schedule, I still need two more 15lb bottles. I'm looking...
Old 08-20-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by grey99max
True - you should see the Jose Cuervo bottles I have stashed away!

That six bottles is not really very much - I run two bottles together, so the pressure doesn't drop much during a run, and I don't have to use those amp-eating bottle heater pads - two of those use 480 watts, which is 40 amps from the battery. When I was running a 175-shot on the quarter-mile, I could only get three full passes with two bottles, then they are done. You can't full more than 1/2 out of a bottle before the N2O is no longer a liquid, and you lose power.

Those six bottles are good for maybe nine 200-shot passes - so if I have a busy track schedule, I still need two more 15lb bottles. I'm looking...
HAHA nice.

I hate running bottle heaters as well. Propane torch works well but is frowned upon.

So something is wrong with the diff in my trans. I think I sheared or broke a tooth off the ring gear. Once I get that fixed, it's back to drag racing the car. I want to win the all motor sport class at IFO, so I'm gonna do whatever it takes to fit some real slicks on the front of the car.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:59 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

HAHA nice.

I hate running bottle heaters as well. Propane torch works well but is frowned upon.

So something is wrong with the diff in my trans. I think I sheared or broke a tooth off the ring gear. Once I get that fixed, it's back to drag racing the car. I want to win the all motor sport class at IFO, so I'm gonna do whatever it takes to fit some real slicks on the front of the car.
I have a generator on my trailer, and use two 120 VAC Moroso heating pads to warm the bottles up to pressure. I wrap them in a thermal blanket to keep them the same temp...

I think you need an automatic transmission. Built, of course... The Tulsa IFO is wild, and the KCIR is also great - if it doesn't rain.

I'm planning on going to Yello Belly 1/8 mile in Grand Prairie TX. No rules, run what-ya-brung racing, on the weirdest track in the country. You should go, just for the experience. (I hear you gotta bring a piece, though).

Actually, this would make a great Maxus 2012.....
Old 08-20-2011, 08:02 PM

I have a generator on my trailer, and use two 120 VAC Moroso heating pads to warm the bottles up to pressure. I wrap them in a thermal blanket to keep them the same temp...

I think you need an automatic transmission. Built, of course... The Tulsa IFO is wild, and the KCIR is also great - if it doesn't rain.

I'm planning on going to Yello Belly 1/8 mile in Grand Prairie TX. No rules, run what-ya-brung racing, on the weirdest track in the country. You should go, just for the experience. (I hear you gotta bring a piece, though).

Actually, this would make a great Maxus 2012.....
Those moroso heaters are pretty nice!

I don't have the money to buy a built auto. Then I'd have to get a high stall converter. I'd be in the tranny for like $4,000+
I like driving a manual, and as you have seen, I don't lose much time shifting.

I want to race at the import face off bad. I think I might have a chance at winning the all motor sport class as long as I can get some full slicks to fit.

I'm planning on going to both events even if my car isn't race ready. Even watching will be cool.
I'd go to the texas event, how far is that away?
Old 08-21-2011, 07:04 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Those moroso heaters are pretty nice!

I don't have the money to buy a built auto. Then I'd have to get a high stall converter. I'd be in the tranny for like $4,000+
I like driving a manual, and as you have seen, I don't lose much time shifting.

I want to race at the import face off bad. I think I might have a chance at winning the all motor sport class as long as I can get some full slicks to fit.

I'm planning on going to both events even if my car isn't race ready. Even watching will be cool.
I'd go to the texas event, how far is that away?
Yup, you do the manual transmission thing very well.

I was looking at the newest Jegs catalog this morning, along with my first cup of coffee, and I see that American Racing makes the AR23 wheel in 16x8 for $111.99 each. I don't see any useful 16" slicks, but Nitto makes the NT-555R Drag Radial in P245/50-R16 for a 8" rim and 25.7" diameter - and 155.99 each. These are supposed to be a very sticky DR - and legally streetable...

Yello Belly is between Dallas and Ft. Worth, just off I30. It's about 450 miles to Dallas. They say they are open every Sunday, between 2PM and 3PM. A Google map search for "Yello Belly Drag Strip TX" should locate it for you. There are also some YouTube videos out there - some very interesting...
Old 08-21-2011, 04:37 PM

Yup, you do the manual transmission thing very well.

I was looking at the newest Jegs catalog this morning, along with my first cup of coffee, and I see that American Racing makes the AR23 wheel in 16x8 for $111.99 each. I don't see any useful 16" slicks, but Nitto makes the NT-555R Drag Radial in P245/50-R16 for a 8" rim and 25.7" diameter - and 155.99 each. These are supposed to be a very sticky DR - and legally streetable...

Yello Belly is between Dallas and Ft. Worth, just off I30. It's about 450 miles to Dallas. They say they are open every Sunday, between 2PM and 3PM. A Google map search for "Yello Belly Drag Strip TX" should locate it for you. There are also some YouTube videos out there - some very interesting...
Thanks!

I really like those wheels, they may be an option. I'm getting some 5.5 gen rotors/calipers for a good price, then I'll be able to fit some 15" wheels. No more drag radials for me!

I'll check out that track. Sounds interesting! That's pretty far to travel. I might need to bum a ride if possible.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:23 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Thanks!

I really like those wheels, they may be an option. I'm getting some 5.5 gen rotors/calipers for a good price, then I'll be able to fit some 15" wheels. No more drag radials for me!

I'll check out that track. Sounds interesting! That's pretty far to travel. I might need to bum a ride if possible.
Hmmm.. Road Trip! but probably much later in the fall.. too much going on now.

I Emailed NX about which solenoids to use with the Maximizer 3 controller, and I was told to use the nitrous #15300L and the gasoline 15201L solenoids.

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/produc...ing_code=email

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/produc...ing_code=email

6-nozzle jetting PDF
http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Instru..._dpjetting.pdf

I then Emailed back to ask if a gasoline solenoid is suitable for E85, and I was told to use gasoline, not alcohol, for E85.

It's important, so here's the Quote:
"No. You should use gasoline solenoids with E85.

Thanks,

Mike Abney
National Sales Manager
Nitrous Express, Inc."
Old 08-24-2011, 04:06 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

How do you tell which Sentra SE-R Spec V 6-spd has a helical diff? There are three of those in Topeka right now, for $415 to $615.

???
Old 08-24-2011, 06:18 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

How do you tell which Sentra SE-R Spec V 6-spd has a helical diff? There are three of those in Topeka right now, for $415 to $615.

???
Im not 100% sure but i think all of em are HLSD that one of the big advantages HLSD cheap.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:46 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by SurraTT
Im not 100% sure but i think all of em are HLSD that one of the big advantages HLSD cheap.
Since krazy6 is looking for one for his diff, maybe this helps! Thanks.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:29 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

progress notes

I picked up my six 15 lb nitrous bottles today. The shop put in 69.3 lbs but ran out on the last one so it's only got 7lb N20 inside - it was completely empty to start with. That leaves me with 5 full bottles. Cost $4.75/lb plus tax. Still need to weigh each one and label them with starting weight.

Today I also ordered two full 5 gallon cans of VP Racing MS109 which should be in tomorrow evening. I also have one mostly empty VP 5 gal can which I'll empty first then get filled at the same time I pick up the new cans.

I have two new batteries in the mail for my HP nc6000 notebook, so I can go datalog the ECU on Digimoto and Nissan DataScan. It's been a long time since I've done this - time to see what my ECU timing looks like under load, after all the changes...
Old 08-24-2011, 11:52 PM

???
They all have the HLSD, that's why I want one. Way more common then a 6th gen HLSD trans. Common means cheap, which is good for me.

I picked up my six 15 lb nitrous bottles today. The shop put in 69.3 lbs but ran out on the last one so it's only got 7lb N20 inside - it was completely empty to start with. That leaves me with 5 full bottles. Cost $4.75/lb plus tax. Still need to weigh each one and label them with starting weight.

Today I also ordered two full 5 gallon cans of VP Racing MS109 which should be in tomorrow evening. I also have one mostly empty VP 5 gal can which I'll empty first then get filled at the same time I pick up the new cans.

I have two new batteries in the mail for my HP nc6000 notebook, so I can go datalog the ECU on Digimoto and Nissan DataScan. It's been a long time since I've done this - time to see what my ECU timing looks like under load, after all the changes...
Nice, you are getting closer and closer.

I need to check out that datalogging stuff. I'd like to datalog my car and see what it's doing.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:43 AM

C'mon guys, you didn't ask me about 6mt's???? tch tch tch....
Old 08-25-2011, 08:08 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by aackshun
C'mon guys, you didn't ask me about 6mt's???? tch tch tch....
Ha... actually, I was thinking about krazy6 looking for one of them for a new ring gear and diff, and I looked on Car-part.com and find three of them in this town!
Old 08-25-2011, 09:04 AM

Ha... actually, I was thinking about krazy6 looking for one of them for a new ring gear and diff, and I looked on Car-part.com and find three of them in this town!
And you'd find one in Houston texas with 70k miles on it from a sentraaaaaaa....
Old 08-25-2011, 09:32 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

And you'd find one in Houston texas with 70k miles on it from a sentraaaaaaa....
One here has 58K for $615 and the $415 tranny has 98K.

What's the story on these transmissions? Are they the same transmission as 6th-gen 6spds for the Altima and Maxima? And do they all have this helical LSD installed? Or do the guts of the Sentra tranny have to be installed in the Altima/Maxima case?
Old 08-25-2011, 11:37 AM

One here has 58K for $615 and the $415 tranny has 98K.

What's the story on these transmissions? Are they the same transmission as 6th-gen 6spds for the Altima and Maxima? And do they all have this helical LSD installed? Or do the guts of the Sentra tranny have to be installed in the Altima/Maxima case?
The transmission is the same as the 6th gen. The difference is in the bell housing.
They all have the HLSD. The sentra tranny will bolt onto the 6th gen bellhousing.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:57 AM

Just bought a sentra tranny for $300 on car-part with 27,000 miles

Thank god for interchangability, because the damn 6th gen trannys are like $1000. lol
Old 08-25-2011, 02:16 PM

Just bought a sentra tranny for $300 on car-part with 27,000 miles

Thank god for interchangability, because the damn 6th gen trannys are like $1000. lol
Hey did I tell you that you suck?

No?

You suck.

Beats my $200 6spd hands down.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:52 PM

No?

You suck.

Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment!
Old 08-25-2011, 03:58 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

No?

You suck.

Now, boys, behave.....
Old 08-25-2011, 04:39 PM

Now, boys, behave.....
Just some friendly words being exchanged. Nothing more.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:24 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Of course.... ( kids! )

I got my 30 gallons of VP MS109 fuel delivered to my house today. I like these new guys. The cost was $7.50/gallon which is even better. I'm used to paying more than $10/gallon for the same fuel.

EDIT : Woops - Actually it cost me $15/gallon - I had a brain meltdown after sniffing the MS109 fumes, and calculated the price based on 30 gallons - and three 5 gallon cans are 15 gallons, not 30.

Last edited by grey99max; 08-26-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:43 AM

Of course.... ( kids! )

I got my 30 gallons of VP MS109 fuel delivered to my house today. I like these new guys. The cost was $7.50/gallon which is even better. I'm used to paying more than $10/gallon for the same fuel.

EDIT : Woops - Actually it cost me $15/gallon - I had a brain meltdown after sniffing the MS109 fumes, and calculated the price based on 30 gallons - and three 5 gallon cans are 15 gallons, not 30.
I was gonna say, 30 gallons must have cost a pretty penny.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:57 AM

Friendly? Nooo way!!!

Got a 1/3 of the mileage for $100 more!!! Probably no 3rd gear problems either!!!!!

I'll have to upshow you when I do the 2nd gen 6mt swap some day
Old 08-26-2011, 11:32 AM

Friendly? Nooo way!!!

Got a 1/3 of the mileage for $100 more!!! Probably no 3rd gear problems either!!!!!

I'll have to upshow you when I do the 2nd gen 6mt swap some day
Alright, I see how it is.

It better not have any 3rd gear problems lol
Old 09-05-2011, 05:12 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Today I installed a drain tap into the fuel return hose, and made up a nice cable for the NX fuel, nitrous, and purge solenoids. The new NX nitrous solenoid should be here in 1-2 days.

One hot day here, Sep. 1. The nex day it was 102*

Fuel tap -3AN - so a small jet connected to the fuel solenoid purge port will keep a small but constant amount of fuel moving through - better than a purge!

Cable for three large solenoids: (14 gauge, primary wire)

Last edited by grey99max; 09-05-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:35 PM

Coming along!
Old 09-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Turbo 3.5

the tech guy at the track is going to run away screaming when you pop your hood, lol
Old 09-06-2011, 02:15 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by t6378tp
the tech guy at the track is going to run away screaming when you pop your hood, lol
Funny !! I know - I'll cover the direct port stuff with a Honda engine cover, then stick a dummy Shark nozzle in the intake pipe, all hosed up, and he wouldn't notice a thing.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:45 PM

He's not gonna know what to look at.

Are you going to the tulsa IFO?
Old 09-08-2011, 06:45 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

He's not gonna know what to look at.

Are you going to the tulsa IFO?
Remember that ball of wires I have for the nitrous stages? That always distracts the tech guys so they don't dig deeper - even though most of them aren't connected to anything.

Tulsa? I'm not sure yet - I've been laid up with an upper respiratory infection, so I'm behind schedule again. Still haven't sprayed anything because the solenoids aren't installed. I took off the next week, to work on the car and also watch the start of Hot Rod Week at Heartland Park. Tuning is on Sunday and first day of competition is Monday, then to Great Bend KS, Amarillo TX, Tulsa, then back to Topeka on Friday. This event determines the faster street car in the USA! Last year was won with high 6-sec times -and the cars have to drive to each event and compete. If you go on a trailer, you're out.

If I can finish the nitrous system for a 75-shot, I'll have to load up and leave for Tulsa on Saturday (Midnight drags in Tulsa that night) then IFO on Sunday, then a 4-hour tow back to home. I dunno - I still feel like *rap....
Old 09-08-2011, 10:21 AM

Remember that ball of wires I have for the nitrous stages? That always distracts the tech guys so they don't dig deeper - even though most of them aren't connected to anything.

Tulsa? I'm not sure yet - I've been laid up with an upper respiratory infection, so I'm behind schedule again. Still haven't sprayed anything because the solenoids aren't installed. I took off the next week, to work on the car and also watch the start of Hot Rod Week at Heartland Park. Tuning is on Sunday and first day of competition is Monday, then to Great Bend KS, Amarillo TX, Tulsa, then back to Topeka on Friday. This event determines the faster street car in the USA! Last year was won with high 6-sec times -and the cars have to drive to each event and compete. If you go on a trailer, you're out.

If I can finish the nitrous system for a 75-shot, I'll have to load up and leave for Tulsa on Saturday (Midnight drags in Tulsa that night) then IFO on Sunday, then a 4-hour tow back to home. I dunno - I still feel like *rap....
Ahhh...that sucks! Hope you feel better.

Hot rod week should be pretty awesome!

I was gonna see if I could maybe catch a ride with you to tulsa. My car won't be ready by then.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:34 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

I was gonna see if I could maybe catch a ride with you to tulsa. My car won't be ready by then.
If I go - and I'll reserve a room somewhere near the track - then I'll leave on Sat around noon, and go straight down KS 75 to Tulsa. This is the shortest route I've found. It takes about 4 hours to drive while towing the trailer and car. I'm planning on leaving after IFO is finished on Sunday and drive back to Topeka that day.

Sure, you can come with me, but we would have to meet up somewhere on 75 - like maybe Beto Junction on I35 and 75 - Google-map it, and let me know what you think. That's a big truck stop. How are you at driving a tow truck with a car and trailer???
Old 09-08-2011, 01:20 PM

If I go - and I'll reserve a room somewhere near the track - then I'll leave on Sat around noon, and go straight down KS 75 to Tulsa. This is the shortest route I've found. It takes about 4 hours to drive while towing the trailer and car. I'm planning on leaving after IFO is finished on Sunday and drive back to Topeka that day.

Sure, you can come with me, but we would have to meet up somewhere on 75 - like maybe Beto Junction on I35 and 75 - Google-map it, and let me know what you think. That's a big truck stop. How are you at driving a tow truck with a car and trailer???
The maxima is my only car right now, so I'm car less.
I couldn't meet you there. For some reason I thought you would be coming down the 135, and I'm right off the freeway so it would have been convienant.

Don't worry about it though. I'll for sure be at the kansas city IFO!
Old 09-10-2011, 06:07 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Got the solenoids figured out/mounted today

I spent most of the day figuring out the best way to mount solenoids.

I just noticed that the jet holder is on backwards here - correct in next photo..

This one has both the fuel and nitrous solenoids mounted. The fuel solenoid has a fuel-bleeder jet attached to its Purge port, and the nitrous solenoid uses a NOS Cheater nitrous solenoid just to purge the nitrous line, for a HUGE purge plume - which I still have to install somewhere. The two NX solenoids are the newest Lighting series (500HP), for use with a progressive controller. I'm going to get everything working tomorrow, except route the fuel and nitrous feeds to a Shark nozzle mounted in a 3.5 UIM (for the weight) and test everything in the driveway. If it checks out, I'll hook the lines up to the direct port system and go for a drive! Heh...

Last edited by grey99max; 09-10-2011 at 06:20 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Something I'm thinking about doing...