Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Car gets slower after repeated downshifts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 03:23 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Car gets slower after repeated downshifts?

If you are "racing" someone or just messing around, downshifting repeatedly, one after the other, does the car get "temperarily slower"? One time last weekend, I raced my friends camaro a few times from a 40mph roll, downshifting into 2nd, and the third time it took a second to pull on him. Same goes for the highway. After a few runs, a downshift into 3rd from 70mph feels puny. Is this my supercharger/engine/clutch getting overheated? I know when I drive very conservatively and then hit it, it always pulls hard.

Is this just my "butt dyno" getting used to the speed, or is it something to do with the clutch/supercharger/engine?
Old 05-06-2003, 04:49 PM

You need to stop being so violent with your car. Stop racing people and doing fast down shifts and then flooring. If someone trys you on the street and your not ready, then yea do it that way. But if your racing friends and it’s a set race, have the car already in that gear so when you take off …all you have to do is hit the gas. You say it took a sec to pull on your friend, well maybe that’s because of the fast down shift, your clutch was probably warm, and was not grabbing.. Next time leave it in the gear so your assured your clutch is holding…

All this is just my opinion.

Now if this is the way you are doing it, then i donno.

Good luck
Old 05-06-2003, 06:13 PM
Banned

Its because you have NO torque
Old 05-06-2003, 06:48 PM
Former Sponsor

take it easy on your tranny dude and your SC belts if its a V2
Old 05-06-2003, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by matt calder
Its because you have NO torque
Old 05-06-2003, 08:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

craigy: what rpm did you downshift at? you sure you got her into the power band?

my another guess is the oil gets too hot after few run....
Old 05-07-2003, 05:34 AM

Re: Car gets slower after repeated downshifts?

I agree with your thought that you're building up heat in the blower and air pipe and losing efficiency.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:17 AM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

there is a reason you have a cool down between dyno runs
Old 05-07-2003, 10:11 AM

Maybe time to sell the SC?
Old 05-07-2003, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
Maybe time to sell the SC?
You wanna buy it Mike? It would be your 92nd one, but what the hell.

StephenMax and Confused, yes it makes sense now. Lot's of built up heat and softening of the clutch will do it I guess. Does this apply to ALL cars? (domestic V8s, import 4cyl's, ect.) I don't see why it wouldn't. I just wonder if I'm affected more becuase i'm boosted (ie supercharger overheating)

Maxi-Overdose, On the Highway, it's a 5-3 downshift at around 70mph usually. That puts me right in the meat of it all.

Does the V1/V2 blowers lose power in between shifts? First gear is an absolute beast, but whenever I shift to second, it feels like power is lost. I'm at around 3300ish when I shift into second. Maybe my butt dyno just needs re-tuning, i'm not getting enough sleep.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack

Does the V1/V2 blowers lose power in between shifts? First gear is an absolute beast, but whenever I shift to second, it feels like power is lost. I'm at around 3300ish when I shift into second. Maybe my butt dyno just needs re-tuning, i'm not getting enough sleep.
Well, sure. Your near redline in 1st, making full boost at the time you shift. Your rpms drop and so does your boost pressure. Your definitely going to feel a drop in power. The torque curve of a supercharged car is going to rise with rpm because boost pressure rises with rpm. The turbo guys have a much better situation in that regard since they can set up to make full boost at lower rpm. The other option is using nitrous to augment torque at low rpm like Mardigrasmax does.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:54 PM

Your intake air temp is increasing after several boost runs. The warmer air is what is making your car slower.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by Maximam
Your intake air temp is increasing after several boost runs. The warmer air is what is making your car slower.
True. After going WOT a few times at highway speeds, I bet it heats up to extreme temperatures in there, so that would only make sense.

StephenMax: What about that lightweight crank pulley that Delio was talking about? Would that help me build boost faster on the 1-2 shift by making the RPMs climb faster thus making my car feel and be faster?

And regarding slow runs after the car heats up, what about a n after cooler? I can get one made for around $800, but unless it makes a significant difference forget it.

I also may drop in the 3.125", that should make my RPMs climb faster. Sometimes I feel the 3.33" is plenty, and others I feel like it's not enough. I hate it that we can't control the boost like the Turbo guys do.
Old 05-08-2003, 05:41 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

What about that lightweight crank pulley that Delio was talking about? Would that help me build boost faster on the 1-2 shift by making the RPMs climb faster thus making my car feel and be faster?
Regardless of mods, boost depends on engine RPM's. Its a mechanical function. If the crank pully allowed you to climb RPM's faster while in gear in moving (which is highly debatable) then yes, you would see boost sooner because you're getting into a higher RPM range sooner.

And regarding slow runs after the car heats up, what about a n after cooler? I can get one made for around $800, but unless it makes a significant difference forget it.
I think it would make a huge difference. If you want a cheeper (although way less effective) solution, you can wrap your intake piping with header wrap to aid in keeping heat out of the pipes. Functional, but not atractive. I plan on doing this soon.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:18 PM

It would be a night and day difference!!! You will be able to boost more because the cooler air temp will allow for more boost without pre-ignition.

A non-intercooled SCd car makes rediculous amounts of intake heat. I bet you will pick up 25+hp to the wheels with a intercooler.
Old 05-11-2003, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by Maximam

It would be a night and day difference!!! You will be able to boost more because the cooler air temp will allow for more boost without pre-ignition.

A non-intercooled SCd car makes rediculous amounts of intake heat. I bet you will pick up 25+hp to the wheels with a intercooler.

Old 05-12-2003, 12:54 PM

craigy : ever considering water injection?? that thing is cheaper ($400) than an inter or after cooler.