Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

What about a screw type supercharger for the Max?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003 | 01:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What about a screw type supercharger for the Max?

I was thinking lately how a screw type supercharger may work on a Maxima. For example, I was looking closely at the model Comptech makes for the Accord and the CL-S. Here's a pic for those who haven't seen it:

http://solar.innercite.com/comptech/sc_cls6.html

It's a little complicated with the cross shaft and stuff, but the design seems realistic for the Maxima. The question is, could a system like this yield better power? There are a lot of variables here, so think a little before posting please.

What do you guys think? Anyone think a project to throw one of these on would be worthwhile?
Old 05-20-2003 | 01:16 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

I'm pretty sure it would require a hood cowl.

Question: Do all Screw-Type SC's deliver instant full boost, or are there any that deliver it similer to the Centrifugel V1/V2 Vortechs?
Old 05-20-2003 | 01:23 PM

Stillen apparently thinks a new hood is no big deal. If you get the 350Z supercharger, you need a hood.

Good question, but the idea behind using a screw type is to get the even power delivery. In most cases uneven power delivery is not desired.
Old 05-21-2003 | 06:29 AM

Re: What about a screw type supercharger for the Max?

Here's a good, concise description of the different types of superchargers: superchargers

Bottom line for the screw type SC is (taken directly from the superchargersonline site):

Screw Type Supercharging
Screw type superchargers are derived from the Roots type concept but with vast improvements for street use. Although from the out side, screw type superchargers may look a lot like Roots type superchargers, on the inside you will find a twin-screw design that compresses air unlike Roots type superchargers which pump the air into the motor. Screw type superchargers have an axial-flow design that compresses the air as it moves between the screws to create positive pressure without creating the heat that Roots type superchargers can create. The Screw type supercharger's ability to produce a dramatic increase of power from idle and through out the rest of the power curve make them a great choice for heavy vehicles, towing or commercial use.

Recommended Usage:
Street Use - Towing - Road Racing - Drag Racing

Positive Points:
1) Great Power at Low RPMs (Great for Towing)
2) Lower Discharge Temperatures (as compared to Roots)
3) Factory Fit & Appearance
4) Great Reliability

Negative Points:
1) The Power Doesn't Keep Climbing in the High RPMs (Power curve is very flat)
2) Challenging To Achieve High Boost Levels or CFMs
3) Lengthy installation times

Manufacturer Availability:
Kenne Belle - Magna Charger - Whipple
Old 05-21-2003 | 09:41 AM

That was a great site. After reading that it doesn't sound like something you would want to hook up to an Acura 3.2 engine. Possibly Comptech is just trying to gain a little bottom end and letting vtec do the work up top. A similar style supercharger seems to work well for the Grand Prix guys though. With a smaller pulley they are seeing some pretty powerful 3.8's I'm not positive, but I thought they were using roots type blowers made by Eaton. I'm also unsure of what the websites definition of high RPM is. Over 4-5k?
Old 05-21-2003 | 11:24 AM

twin screw has long been regarded as the best route of boost, like some turobs you get full boost down low as low as 2k. Aside from the massive tihngs you need to make it fit in the engine bay it would be great.
Old 05-21-2003 | 11:53 AM

Originally posted by max'n out
twin screw has long been regarded as the best route of boost, like some turobs you get full boost down low as low as 2k. Aside from the massive tihngs you need to make it fit in the engine bay it would be great.
A screw type blower will give you more boost at low rpm, but less boost and lower efficiency at high rpm compared to a centrifugal blower. For a high revving engine I think a centrifugal blower might be better, but it depends on your driving style.
Old 05-21-2003 | 12:34 PM

So can you guys define high rpm? Does that start around the 4000rpm range, or higher? If it builds to around or above 5 grand you gotta think the area under the curve might be greater than a centrifugal application. Area from shift to shift...? What about torque. Seems like the application might give you more torque than the vortech we (well, you guys) run. I would also think achieving 8 psi should be easy enough. Anyone know where I could get a look at various types of superchargers flow rates graphed over a rotational speed range?
Old 05-21-2003 | 01:43 PM

Originally posted by MAXimumHP
So can you guys define high rpm? Does that start around the 4000rpm range, or higher? If it builds to around or above 5 grand you gotta think the area under the curve might be greater than a centrifugal application. Area from shift to shift...? What about torque. Seems like the application might give you more torque than the vortech we (well, you guys) run. I would also think achieving 8 psi should be easy enough. Anyone know where I could get a look at various types of superchargers flow rates graphed over a rotational speed range?
A twin screw will give you say 7 psi at 2500rpms and it will give you that same 7 psi at the high rpm of say 6500 rpms thats why it's less effenient its not doing any more work at a high rpms load. HIgh could be any rpm above that of the given low rpms...that make sence? Tq does usally stay higher than that of a a cen (v2) do a search on like metacrawler or any search engine theres all kinds of info and it's written far better than what i write, sorry i know this stuff but i'm not good at explaining accross the net.
Old 05-21-2003 | 01:45 PM

Originally posted by MAXimumHP
I would say high rpm starts around 5 krpm. From what I have read (no personal experience) Roots and twin screw type blowers are typically run in the 4-6 psi range. Getting to 8 psi with a Roots blower is difficult and doesn't result in a significant gain due to their low thermodynamic efficiency. My understanding is that Lysholm (twin screw) blowers are much better in that regard, but still not as good as centrifugal blowers at pumping a lot of air at high rpm.
Old 05-21-2003 | 08:46 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Jackson Racing uses only Roots-type blowers and they offer kits for all kinds of high revving Hondas. Roots blowers are IDEAL for street driven car, IMO. They give you strong lowend torque and a much more useable powerband. The Grand Prix GTP, 2003 Cobra, Benz (varient of the Roots), TRD for Toyotas, etc use these blowers with excellent results. Some of these cars make good topend power too. Roots blowers are also extremely reliable.

If a Roots blower was available for the Maxima, I would be the first in line. I wish Nismo would have copied TRDs roots blower design for the Camry/Solara.

Dave
Old 05-22-2003 | 06:13 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
Jackson Racing uses only Roots-type blowers and they offer kits for all kinds of high revving Hondas. Roots blowers are IDEAL for street driven car, IMO. They give you strong lowend torque and a much more useable powerband. The Grand Prix GTP, 2003 Cobra, Benz (varient of the Roots), TRD for Toyotas, etc use these blowers with excellent results. Some of these cars make good topend power too. Roots blowers are also extremely reliable.

If a Roots blower was available for the Maxima, I would be the first in line. I wish Nismo would have copied TRDs roots blower design for the Camry/Solara.

Dave
Yeah, Roots blowers are ideal for torqueless cars like Honda fours. The VQ is not so torque-challenged, so trading low end power for more high end power where the VQ is not so stellar seems like a better situation to me, but then again I like high rpm driving.
Old 05-29-2003 | 10:19 PM

Originally posted by Dave B

Dave

A VQ with a roots-type blower would have AWESOME midrange.