Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

new supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 08:27 AM

new supercharger

I just bought a used supercharger from ben blanco, and have some questions. First off my car has 132000 miles on it and runs excellent. My compression in every cylinder was 200 psi. so I think compression is good. My question is if I go ahead and get the walbro high psi 255l pump so i need a regulator or what? and I've seen a lot of stuff on the fmu disc like 8:1 and the like, is this basically like a regulator? also is there any good ideas you boys can give me as far as preventive maintance--like new head gaskets, I plan on turning up the boost from 6.5 to 9psi and then eventually to 13 with an intercooler. Do i need to o-ring / get new head gaskets--copper? I'm worried about blowing a head gasket with only 6.5 lbs boost, any advice? Although my car runs perfect and I'm doing all the work my self.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: new supercharger

Originally posted by crewchief264
I just bought a used supercharger from ben blanco, and have some questions. First off my car has 132000 miles on it and runs excellent. My compression in every cylinder was 200 psi. so I think compression is good. My question is if I go ahead and get the walbro high psi 255l pump so i need a regulator or what? and I've seen a lot of stuff on the fmu disc like 8:1 and the like, is this basically like a regulator? also is there any good ideas you boys can give me as far as preventive maintance--like new head gaskets, I plan on turning up the boost from 6.5 to 9psi and then eventually to 13 with an intercooler. Do i need to o-ring / get new head gaskets--copper? I'm worried about blowing a head gasket with only 6.5 lbs boost, any advice? Although my car runs perfect and I'm doing all the work my self.
The kit you bought should have a fmu, which is placed in series with the fpr already on your car. If you get the Walbro pump you don't need the auxiliary in-line pump. So the fuel flow will go from the in tank pump to the fuel filter to the oem fpr to the fmu and back to the tank. Follow the install instructions and you'll be okay.

I don't think there's any worry with blowing a head gasket if you're below 10 psi. If you go up to 13, then maybe so, I dunno.