Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Turbo...hmmmm..interesting question....

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 08:34 PM
You will lose

Turbo...hmmmm..interesting question....

A friend of mine has a complete motor out of a 95 300Z twin turbo, and he is planning on using one of the turbos on his radical Saab Turbo as an upgrade. Would it be worthwhile to get the other turbo from him, and try to make some piping to use it on my 99 Max? I have a few things done already, and I'm very capable of making things go fast. I have heard that it is not a very strong turbo, and I'm making more power with the NOS. The question is whether or not I'd be better running a weaker turbo like this one, and keeping the nitrous and see where it can go. I have never had a turbo before, and all my friends seem to have the S/C. Are there any pre-made pipes, or kits that would be worth looking into to do this? I have 3 kids, and can't afford to drop $5k at once, but I could acquire alot of stuff over a 3-4 month period if I need. I just need to put on my new OBX FPR and get my big brake kit finished this week, before starting another project. So, should I attempt it or leave it alone? Any pointers, or tips are greatly appreciated.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:46 PM
living out of a maxima...

I think the turbo would probably be too small. If you're going to the trouble of doing a turbo you want it to be worth it.

Even supposing it was okay, a free turbo doesn't get you all that far. I don't think you can buy just the pipes from any of the companies that make turbo kits, so that would all have to be custom. Add in the wastegate, bov, couplers, intercooler, guages, any electronics, etc and it will start to add up quickly. Even with the VB mod and tranny cooler I wouldn't expect that auto to last too long either.

Basically I wouldn't suggest going the turbo route unless you've really got the funds to do it, because cutting corners anywhere would likely end up costing more in the long run.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:38 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

used turbo = more toruble and money spent in the future...plus the Z32 turbos aren't exactly creame of the crop or even worth it, for these cars a pre-fab kit seems like the only way to go, unless you can do ALL your own fabbing. I say go SC, you can pick one up for llike $2-2.5k and combined with your nitrous you should have a decent ride, not sure how your tranny will like it, VB or not.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:48 AM
You will lose

That's about what I'd thought about the whole situation with that turbo. I think I'll just scrap that idea, and keep leaning toward going up to about a 150 shot of juice, and see what it'll do. I am running the 80 dry now, but think I'll go wet for anything bigger.