Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Romulator/Live Edit/Jim Wolf?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 12:29 PM

Romulator/Live Edit/Jim Wolf?

Ok.. So I've got the chip in the stock ECU unsolderd and a socket installed.
Romultator Hooked up
Live edit running
But car runs very rich and the check engine light's on and fan/s run with key on. Green light on ECU does not come on.
Guessing its in fail safe mode.

Live edit sees the ECU.. so does the romultor. Maby I'm not using the correct program/engine configuration.

Who's ACTUALY done this???? anyone???????

Now, I called Jim Wolf and he says Send me 600.00 and your ECU and it'll accept the 370cc injectors and the Z30whatever MAF.
I can't read or change anything (which I don't like) and it's not matched to my combo.. it's some other bozo's combo.. WTF good does that doo me?
He says it changes it's self with a MAF car.. yea. .I agree to a point but I'd rather tune it than rely on someone else's car and skill tuning.
I mean the guy was somewhat nice but definatly wanted to do nothing but sell the product. Didn't know what a F.A.S.T. system is or DFI or the Romulator.. Just kept repeting "send us the ECU 595.00 bla bla bla"
If I ever get the Romulator working I'm going to hook eveyone up with good tuneing and chips.. this 600.00 stuff is Bull $hit!~
Ok..ok.. I'm done venting.
Scott~
Old 11-17-2004, 12:54 PM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by Boosted Maxima
Ok.. So I've got the chip in the stock ECU unsolderd and a socket installed.
Romultator Hooked up
Live edit running
But car runs very rich and the check engine light's on and fan/s run with key on. Green light on ECU does not come on.
Guessing its in fail safe mode.

Live edit sees the ECU.. so does the romultor. Maby I'm not using the correct program/engine configuration.

Who's ACTUALY done this???? anyone???????

Now, I called Jim Wolf and he says Send me 600.00 and your ECU and it'll accept the 370cc injectors and the Z30whatever MAF.
I can't read or change anything (which I don't like) and it's not matched to my combo.. it's some other bozo's combo.. WTF good does that doo me?
He says it changes it's self with a MAF car.. yea. .I agree to a point but I'd rather tune it than rely on someone else's car and skill tuning.
I mean the guy was somewhat nice but definatly wanted to do nothing but sell the product. Didn't know what a F.A.S.T. system is or DFI or the Romulator.. Just kept repeting "send us the ECU 595.00 bla bla bla"
If I ever get the Romulator working I'm going to hook eveyone up with good tuneing and chips.. this 600.00 stuff is Bull $hit!~
Ok..ok.. I'm done venting.
Scott~
Talk to Aaron92SE. He is undertaking a very similar project with his ECU. He uses the Zemulator software I believe.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:58 PM

I've done it a number of times. Did you read the stock chip? Maxima's need to have the software that was in the ecu to run. (usually) It most likely won't work to use another maxima binfile. Who told you it would it would self adjust? If there's a TT involved that's not good. Some Q's:
Do you have a copy of the stock chip on your laptop?
Do you have the correct config file for the maxima?

Do you have the bigger injectors installed?
We'll move on from there.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:14 AM

Benardd:
I downloaded a copy of Mark C's Maxbin. file. That's what it's trying to run on.
I'd proabably have to get the "Pocket Programer" to read the stock chip and transfer that info to the Romulator. (sounds right)? I can get that if I need to! Going to purchase it anyway..so now is a good time.

I have the stock Injectors in there but the 370's are on the bench. Wanted to get this up and runnning before installing because I knew if I installed the 370's and Live edit was not up and running i'd be stuck not driving it.
Anyone know who cleans and flows our style injectors?
Place in chicago couldn't do it.

I think that the laptop software all works and communicates to the Romulator fine.. didn't come up with any error codes transfering info back and forth. Didn't have much time to play so I just put the stock chip back in and it acted normal.

So all this Jim Wolf stuff isn't the only way to do it right?
Thanks guys!
Scott~
Old 11-18-2004, 05:52 AM

Send me a pic of your injectors. I have a buddy that has injector cleaning equipment. Yes you'll probably need to read the stock chip to use with Live edit. I've got a bunch of Maxima binfiles I can send over to try. Send me a copy of your config file. I'll make sure it's correct. You can also send me the chip if you want and I can read it. JWT does the exact same thing you're going to do. Sell the car rather than going to JWT. :P
Bernard
Old 11-18-2004, 06:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Could you copy my JWT ECU for 370s / z32 MAF / SC / raised to 7200RPM limiter program and compare it to the stock program and figure out what you need to chage to make your own ECU?

I am in Ohio so it is not that far from you. Dan lives in Ft Wayne, he is thinking about coming to Columbus to help me install my SC sometime, maybe you could hitch a ride? :>

EDIT: Added RPM limiter
Old 11-18-2004, 08:29 AM
SLOW

Originally Posted by Prodeje79
Could you copy my JWT ECU for 370s / z32 MAF / SC / raised to 7200RPM limiter program and compare it to the stock program and figure out what you need to chage to make your own ECU?

I am in Ohio so it is not that far from you. Dan lives in Ft Wayne, he is thinking about coming to Columbus to help me install my SC sometime, maybe you could hitch a ride? :>

EDIT: Added RPM limiter
He's got an 89 though and you've got a 95-96 ECU.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
He's got an 89 though and you've got a 95-96 ECU.
oh i c

well if you want to help research the 4th gen ECU, I am sure you could profit from it hehehe
Old 11-18-2004, 12:42 PM
No turbo, no care!

I have an JWT ECU programed for 8.3:1 compression, 370cc injectors, and the z32 MAS, and turbo of course. Its an 89 ECU (CA spec, not FED), but its been programed to work in my 91 (also CA spec). According to JWT, the 89 ECU and 90-94 ECUs for the VG are slightly different. They wouldnt say how exactly, but its obviously it's just software related. You live close and could copy the chip if it helps you any.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:46 PM

I think JWT does a complete different board inside the ECU if I understand what he said over the phone. So im not sure if that'd be much help.. Appreciate the offers but I'm guessing that it won't exactly work that way.

Bernardd: The 370's are the exact same size and mounting as the stock Max injector. they feed all around the center section of the injector. If you need a pic I'll snap one in the AM for ya.
By Configure file.. is that different than the Bin file? Maby I dont even have a configure file loaded!!!? That could possibly be part of the problem!
If you want me to try the Max files you've got I'll give them a shot!
And or the configure files... UR50SLO@aol.com
Thanks again all for offering the help.. I'd be glad to give any of you help setting up the turbo fabrication part that's the fun part~! This is where it gets tricky.. Tuneing!
~Scott
Old 11-18-2004, 10:46 PM
No turbo, no care!

Originally Posted by Boosted Maxima
I think JWT does a complete different board inside the ECU if I understand what he said over the phone. So im not sure if that'd be much help.. Appreciate the offers but I'm guessing that it won't exactly way.
Actualy, they just solder in a socket for the ROM chip so it can be removed and reflashed. You can have a local shop do the soldering for you, you just need to transfer over the reflash from the JWT ECU.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:10 AM

I had a look at the Maxima binfiles I have. They are all for the vg engine and all are considerably different. I'll send you a link (Scott) to a couple of them as well as a proper config file.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:37 PM

I've already goten that far.. I've got the socket installed and the stock chip back in place! You've got to be kidding.. 600.00 gets you 20min of unsoldering and reslodering and a fricken chip.. that's Nucken futs! Alright. That's it.. I'm buying the pocket programmer and a bunch of blank chips.. I'll copy one of your guy's chips and make them for 20.00 and put a socket in the stock ecu. Then once my 150.00 from the programmer is achieved I'll fricken do it for free and send you a ECU or chip to run off of till I get it programmed.. What they are doing SUCKS~! GN guys can buy chips for 40.00.. That's at least affordable! 600.00 I'm so damn mad right now ...
I'm stopping before I start putting down a series of 4letter words.
~Scott.

Oh.. THANK YOU BERNARDD!~ and everyone...
Old 11-19-2004, 01:49 PM

so you can copy my 4th gen chip so other people can use them?
Old 11-20-2004, 10:13 AM
BUY MY CARS PLEASE!!!

insted desoldering and soldering and risking burning the **** out of your board. buy a socket and pop the prom's in and out. make sure your grounded and wearing your esd strap
Old 11-20-2004, 09:43 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Mizeree_X
Talk to Aaron92SE. He is undertaking a very similar project with his ECU. He uses the Zemulator software I believe.
That would be me! I have done a LOT of ECU work. Since the VE ECU doesn't have an EPROM to emulate to begin with, I have to go the route that the SR20DE guys do... that is, solder in a new daughterboard with two 8 bit EPROMs on it so they can burn chips. Well, instead of burning the chips, I will emulate the 8 bit EPROMs, with two 8 bit emulators.... or romulator, as you like to call it.

But, you should be able to easily emulate your EPROM, I don't get why you're having trouble. Pay close attention to what the z32 guys are doing b/c they are heavy into emulation and chip burning. Hit me up on AIM sometime or email me, I will be happy to help out anyway I can. Or you can post here so others can read the info.

:edit: Here is Ash Power's site of his Zemulator. http://ashspecz.com/ashspec/zem/zem_about.htm I bet you can go this route. It will make your tuning experience MUCH easier. And I bet this will plug right into your chip socket that you already have. Contact Ash and see you can work out.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:35 AM

I did install a socket where the stock chip was... Now the stock chip is just "plugged" back in where the socket was installed.
I went to the Zemulator site.. Looks kinda like Live Edit. I contacted the guy there on the Zem site to see if his program would work for me too. IF so it's not a bad thing to try and see which program is easier or works better for tuneing!
I'm trying some files that Bernardd Sent me monday or tuesday.
Let ya know how it go's!
Aaron.. send me some Florida heat would ya?
~Scott
Old 11-21-2004, 07:03 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Yeah, there are other programs out there. But the Zem is very easy. But that's what you're paying for. Ash made this program from scratch.

Send me some colder weather so I can race my car.

Oh yeah, Ash probably won't know anything about your ECU. I had to introduce him to the VE ECU. I bet if you send him a spare VG ECU, he will be able to get it to work and send it all back to you. It would help him if he could get his hands on a VG Maxima in his area.

As of right now, I have that daughterboard coming from Australia. Once I get that, i will ship him a spare VE ECU and that daughterboard and he will have to solder it in for me and do a little programming to his software so it can handle BOTH 8 bit emulators.