Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Anybody running SC without A/C?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Broaner
I believe those are designed more for turbo's. It doesn't really make sense to have it boost acutated. Having it on a switch would be much more desireable for me.

I kinda disagree with you on this one, if you look at iansw's dyno, it looks as if power is down early in the rpm band on the 3"exhaust run compared to the 2.5"exhaust run. My ATP cuttout is sett at 5 psi(where the 2.5" exhaust is still ample and i would think after this point is where you would want it to open) and it opens very quickly from the videos i have seen(haven't installed it yet). So i think with this setup you would retain low end power as well as getting the gains in the upper RPM band. I will post a dyno with it closed and opened and we will see what the verdict is. Just throwing my thoughts out there
Old 02-20-2005, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
oh...so with an aftermarket catback system...it wouldn't be nearly as much...altough I would still wonder what it would do for a boosted max with cattman headers placed right when each bank forms the collector section...right after that...I would think you could easily get the gain of a 3" system without the noise or low-end torque loss...or maybe even more gain, as the 3" exhaust boosted maxima guys are seeing huge gains from their 3" setups on S/C'ed maximas...but are still running the stock headers which are restrictive as evidenced by the fact that the cattman headers are showing a 20whp on S/C'ed maximas with only 2.5" systems...so with the cutout it would be like coupling high flow headers with a 3" system...

Don't worry you will get to see the results in about 2-3 weeks. I have the hotshot headers, 2.87 pulley, and ATP cuttout sitting in my room and will have them installed soon and dynoed
Old 02-20-2005, 01:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you should be making some very impressive power with that setup!!!

but 3 seconds to open would be too long of a switchover I would think for it to be set to switchover according to boost...

where do they have videos of the boost actuated cutout opening? ATP's site? so if that one opens a lot faster, why would the other company have theirs open over 3 seconds....I would think that would be way too long to switchover if you have it boost actuated...you would already be at redline...by the time it finished opening up...
Old 02-20-2005, 01:24 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Okay, I agree that having a boost activated setup would be ideal for all around power. But I would certainly want some sort of overide so it doesn't open every time you go to the preset PSI. Maybe just a simple clamp/valve in the vacum line would do this.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
you should be making some very impressive power with that setup!!!

but 3 seconds to open would be too long of a switchover I would think for it to be set to switchover according to boost...

where do they have videos of the boost actuated cutout opening? ATP's site? so if that one opens a lot faster, why would the other company have theirs open over 3 seconds....I would think that would be way too long to switchover if you have it boost actuated...you would already be at redline...by the time it finished opening up...

Nah man the electric cuttout is controlled by a electric motor(thats the one that take 3 seconds to open). The one i got seems to open almost immediatley(uses a acutator which acts like a trubo wastegate) they have videos on ATP's site
Old 02-20-2005, 01:36 PM

Okay, I agree that having a boost activated setup would be ideal for all around power. But I would certainly want some sort of overide so it doesn't open every time you go to the preset PSI. Maybe just a simple clamp/valve in the vacum line would do this.

You can raise the activation point or shut it off completely using a MBC
Old 02-20-2005, 02:42 PM
2060lbs and falling...

What is an MBC? I wouldn't want to have to fiddle with some **** when I wanted to use it. I'd want to set it to the desired RPM and then have a valve which could lock vacum in the system. It wouldn't be hard. A simple surgical tube and valve would work fine and would probably be impervious to boost. You'd just have to run the line into the cabin and then back down to through the exhaust tunnel just forward of the shifter. This would allow you to put the valve somewhere within reach. I'd probably do mine down by the ECU; sticking out just a bit.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:54 PM

What is an MBC? I wouldn't want to have to fiddle with some **** when I wanted to use it. I'd want to set it to the desired RPM and then have a valve which could lock vacum in the system. It wouldn't be hard. A simple surgical tube and valve would work fine and would probably be impervious to boost. You'd just have to run the line into the cabin and then back down to through the exhaust tunnel just forward of the shifter. This would allow you to put the valve somewhere within reach. I'd probably do mine down by the ECU; sticking out just a bit.
mbc=manual boost controller. You set the **** on the mbc to the desired psi you want the VES to open at. All you would have to do is look at your RPM vs. PSI on your boost guage and set it on the mbc.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:04 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Thanks. New thought though. Having it opening somewhere in the rev band would probably only be benificial to auto's. MTs have traction problems already so retaining all that traction obliterating power isn't exactly desired. Everything after first gear will keep the cutout open. Basically, 5Spd cars don't need a variable setup. Just a switch will do fine.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:11 PM

Thanks. New thought though. Having it opening somewhere in the rev band would probably only be benificial to auto's. MTs have traction problems already so retaining all that traction obliterating power isn't exactly desired. Everything after first gear will keep the cutout open. Basically, 5Spd cars don't need a variable setup. Just a switch will do fine.

Regardless, at your shift point both setups are going to be fully open.