Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

MEVI installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 06:27 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

MEVI installed

Put that bad boy on today. 3 hours from start to finish. Did not do the wiring since I don't have an RPM switch yet, will order it tonight. Just have it zip tied open for now. Midrange power is just awful with it open all the time, but once I hit 5K rpms it screams. I hit 87% MAF voltage on my SAFC in 2nd gear. Most I have ever hit before was round 81%. I did hit 84% a few times with just an open downpipe.

Of course, pics as always

Old 05-23-2005, 06:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Did you leave the butterflies on?
Old 05-23-2005, 07:00 PM
SLOW

are you seeing any more boost too or no?
Old 05-23-2005, 09:22 PM

The car looks like it is coming together nicely. Are you planning on upping the boost anytime soon? I am going to need forced induction on my car to keep up with you guys!
Old 05-23-2005, 09:59 PM

So when are the injectors going in? You leaking ps fluid cause it looks a little low?
Old 05-24-2005, 12:24 AM

Yhea, I left the butterfly valves on hence why it is zip tied open.

No more boost. .34-.35 bar

I did not think I would see much more peak power with the MEVI. I assume the rise in air flow % is telling me I am making more peak power. Or does peak power not correspond with AF %?

Jason- My ECU is at JWT right now, then it's 550's and a Z32 MAF. As soon as I get it back I will be running 10lbs.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:44 AM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

looks good mike. hope you get the ecu back soon.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
I did not think I would see much more peak power with the MEVI. I assume the rise in air flow % is telling me I am making more peak power. Or does peak power not correspond with AF %?
The MEVI definitely raises peak power on SCed Maximas, I guess the same holds true with TCed Maxes.

A rise in flow % does correspond to a rise in power. Gotta have more air to make more power.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:26 AM
Nissan Shift

so which one is better the mevi or the 00vi on a sc?

Old 05-24-2005, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Nissan Shift
so which one is better the mevi or the 00vi on a sc?

As far as power, the 00VI is better for any application.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
The MEVI definitely raises peak power on SCed Maximas, I guess the same holds true with TCed Maxes.

A rise in flow % does correspond to a rise in power. Gotta have more air to make more power.

So if I were to data log MAF voltage, then the peak voltage would occur at peak power not at redline? And MAF voltage would actually decrease in the higher rpms if my power were to start to fall?

On a USIM is there actually less air getting to the motor after 5.5k rpm's? I assumed that if the USIM manifold could flow X amount of air at 5.5K that it should be able to flow at least that same X amount after that, maybe not more but for sure not less. Kinda like a garden hose, depending on it's diameter it can only flow so much water. If the water pressure is turned up past it's point of peak flow capabilities it will still flow at peak, just no more.

Using MAF voltage via my SAFC, I have gained abuot 20whp. Using 260whp as 80% of total MAF voltage....but if MAF voltage is not linear then those calcualtions would be wrong.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:59 AM

....but if MAF voltage is not linear then those calcualtions would be wrong.
I believe it is not linear.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by 96sleeper
I believe it is not linear.
It is non-linear for sure, I knew that.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:41 AM
$tillenmax2k

On a USIM is there actually less air getting to the motor after 5.5k rpm's? I assumed that if the USIM manifold could flow X amount of air at 5.5K that it should be able to flow at least that same X amount after that, maybe not more but for sure not less. Kinda like a garden hose, depending on it's diameter it can only flow so much water. If the water pressure is turned up past it's point of peak flow capabilities it will still flow at peak, just no more.
It's a bit different when it comes to engines. As the volumetric efficiency drops off, not as much air can get into the engine, and the airflow decreases. The pulse waves boucing off the back of the valves are actually "pushing" air away from the heads past a certain rpm with the USIM.
I don't know what MAF you're using, but with the stock MAF i remember that it was hitting like 99% at around 5,900 rpm with the VI open. With it closed, i never saw over 87%. With the Z32 MAF, it never goes past the 70's%.

Old 05-24-2005, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by $tillenmax2k
It's a bit different when it comes to engines. As the volumetric efficiency drops off, not as much air can get into the engine, and the airflow decreases. The pulse waves boucing off the back of the valves are actually "pushing" air away from the heads past a certain rpm with the USIM.
I don't know what MAF you're using, but with the stock MAF i remember that it was hitting like 99% at around 5,900 rpm with the VI open. With it closed, i never saw over 87%. With the Z32 MAF, it never goes past the 70's%.
Your right, I was looking at it as the manifold was the only part of the equation. Too simplistic.

I am using the stock MAF. What type of power were you making when you saw 99% voltage on the A32 MAF?

The high rpm power of a closed MEVI is worse than that of the high rpm power of a USIM
Old 05-24-2005, 10:13 AM

Let me rephrase what I said earlier.

There is no doubt that a MEVI increases the peak power of a SCed Maxima because peak power is made at high rpm, which is where the MEVI is effective. This has been verified.

A TCed Maxima, on the other hand, makes peak power at an rpm that is very dependent on the type of TC. A TC that makes peak power at mid rpm may not have an increase in peak power when a MEVI is installed, even though the power will increase at high rpm, similar to what happens with a NA Maxima.

A TC that produces peak power at high rpm where the MEVI is effective will have an increase in peak power due to the MEVI, similar to a SCed Maxima.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:35 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

do you plan on going to a dyno. that would tell for sure how much extra horses you get w/ a mevi on a t/c maxima.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by larryseibel
do you plan on going to a dyno. that would tell for sure how much extra horses you get w/ a mevi on a t/c maxima.
I probably won't dyno untill I have the JWT ECU in and the boost turned up, which won't be comparable to my last dyno.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:29 AM
3.5 in the works

Looks good Mike. Once you get the RPM switch and ECU etc on it should be much better than the USIM. Just curious though.. any reason why you didn't go with the 00VI?
Old 05-25-2005, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by DandyMax
Looks good Mike. Once you get the RPM switch and ECU etc on it should be much better than the USIM. Just curious though.. any reason why you didn't go with the 00VI?
ease of install mostly. I had an MEVI in the past and like it alot. I like the fact that it is an OEM fitting piece. If I was NA and looking for every HP possible then I may have gone with the 00VI.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:35 PM
NWP Engineering.com

ease of install mostly. I had an MEVI in the past and like it alot. I like the fact that it is an OEM fitting piece. If I was NA and looking for every HP possible then I may have gone with the 00VI.
I got the Summit Racing switch. I am satisfied with it. I have to set it to 3000 to get it to open at 4200rpm. So it's a little off. You can adjust it to get it right, but it doesn't matter for me. The Summit tech support is AWESOME too! That is the only thing that makes me, as a customer, continue to buy products from them. If you need any help installing your switch and there is nobody else to turn to, then call Summit support and ask for Gus. He's some kid that knows his stuff.

The first switch I got from Summit was defective, so I ordered a new one and returned my swtich to them. Not much hassle at all. The new one worked great. I used a 12v relay and got it working great only after Gus helped me.

But, I can touch my relay that's mounted below my seat to make sure the switch it being activated still. Once in a while, I test it at idle to see if it works and it hasn't let me down once.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
I got the Summit Racing switch. I am satisfied with it. I have to set it to 3000 to get it to open at 4200rpm. So it's a little off. You can adjust it to get it right, but it doesn't matter for me. The Summit tech support is AWESOME too! That is the only thing that makes me, as a customer, continue to buy products from them. If you need any help installing your switch and there is nobody else to turn to, then call Summit support and ask for Gus. He's some kid that knows his stuff.

The first switch I got from Summit was defective, so I ordered a new one and returned my swtich to them. Not much hassle at all. The new one worked great. I used a 12v relay and got it working great only after Gus helped me.

But, I can touch my relay that's mounted below my seat to make sure the switch it being activated still. Once in a while, I test it at idle to see if it works and it hasn't let me down once.
I know the summit works great. I had one with my previous MEVI