Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

for those looking for turbo piping

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 05:05 PM

that would require removing the bumper support.. without that, you'll have the engine sitting in your lap if you got into a front end collision.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:39 AM

i got money!
Old 11-16-2005, 12:06 AM
Turbo is too much fun!

So anything new to update? still on schedule?
Old 11-17-2005, 03:07 AM

so far still on schedule. 11 t3/t4 universal flanges have been CNC'ed, 6 sets (12) flanges for the manifold have been CNC'ed, i ran out of material so the manufacture ordered some more. and i'll cut 5 more sets of manifold flanges. i'm currently there operating the CNC machine to speed up the process (someone has to be watching it making sure the bit doesn't snap), and also making sure that the pipes fit on the welding/bending jig perfectly. there are some tight areas, one of the pipes shifted a bit because we changed the collector from one of those slip collectors into a mider cut merge collector for better flow. 5 sets of 3" v-band clamps have arrived and 5 sets of 3" v-band flanges will be arriving tomorrow.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

its so weird, why do you have to do the work?
Old 11-17-2005, 06:43 AM

Sounds good! What material is everything going to be? Stainless steel for the pipes and mild steel for the flanges?

Also, I believe that I have a T4 inlet flange, will you be able to make one of those or should I send you one. Im not too sure even if its T4, do you have any measurements so I can check, I searched google and came up with nothing. Im using a Precision GT40 turbo.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by spanishrice
good shops who do good work lag and make you wait 6 months for good product

so mingo has to go in there and do his good work on their machines to get good product out to us in time for xmas
Old 11-17-2005, 11:18 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally Posted by spanishrice
Even the owner of a Taiwanese sweatshop has to sometimes work too. O rearry?!?! ^_^
Old 11-17-2005, 11:47 AM
SLOW

Originally Posted by JeEvE
Sounds good! What material is everything going to be? Stainless steel for the pipes and mild steel for the flanges?

Also, I believe that I have a T4 inlet flange, will you be able to make one of those or should I send you one. Im not too sure even if its T4, do you have any measurements so I can check, I searched google and came up with nothing. Im using a Precision GT40 turbo.

PM me a pic I can tell you what flange it is.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:52 AM
Turbo is too much fun!

I measured my T4, its approx. 3.250" x 2.750" from the center of each holes.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Y2KevSE
Even the owner of a Taiwanese sweatshop has to sometimes work too. O rearry?!?! ^_^
that is collect i learry have to do what evel it takes to speed up the proccess

i only have the flange type for the t4 and t3. i think some of the GT series use that flange too..
Old 11-17-2005, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by mingo
that is collect i learry have to do what evel it takes to speed up the proccess

i only have the flange type for the t4 and t3. i think some of the GT series use that flange too..
I just feel bad for you. I hope you recieve most of the profit from this ordeal.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by jcy98maxse
I measured my T4, its approx. 3.250" x 2.750" from the center of each holes.
Thats the size I have so it is a T4 then. Thanks Neal for offering to look at pics of it.

Mingo, since I need the T4 flange, would it be okay if that was mailed to you and it is welded on instead of the T3/T4? Also, you said you have 3" V-Band couplers, you will also be selling these with the pipes? Just want to make sure what I need when gathering all my stuff togher.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:58 PM

the flange that was CNC'ed has two bolt patterns, it fits both turbo's. so i don't need flanges from anyone. unless you guys have some odd downpipe flange, but either way if you guys don't want to wait, you can just cut off the flange that is welded on the downpipe and reweld the one on there. but just make sure it's at least tac welded with the turbo sitting on the car to insure proper fitment.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:24 PM

any updates or news mingo?
Old 11-19-2005, 12:19 AM

i finished cutting all the flanges today, and picked up the stainless steel pipes. bought 60ft of 2" and 60ft of 2.5" and the manufacture already has 3". someone (not me) dropped the welding fixture so it got a bit bent so we have to fix that before we can bend the new pipes. (should be real fast)

the owner has a wedding to attend tomorrow so all that can be done tomorrow is the pipes can be bent. and then after that, hopefully we can get everything welded together on sunday or monday and hopefully make the tuesday deadline (i'm leaving on wednesday for turkey day).

i need to have an idea of what turbo's you guys are running so i can have a rough estimate as to what flanges to weld onto the downpipe.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:21 AM
Turbo is too much fun!

GT35R/T4, Tial 38mm WG, 3in V-band Downpipe
When do you think pics and price will be up?
Old 11-19-2005, 12:24 AM

if the owner comes in on sunday, then sunday it is. if not then monday.. i dont' know how to tig weld, but he will teach me soon, so once i get good, i might be the one welding all the pipes too (highly unlikely).
Old 11-19-2005, 12:32 AM
Turbo is too much fun!

if the owner comes in on sunday, then sunday it is. if not then monday.. i dont' know how to tig weld, but he will teach me soon, so once i get good, i might be the one welding all the pipes too (highly unlikely).
Yea if you weld them too then you'll really be the only one whose work on the this project the most as oppose just giving the manufacturer the design and having them come up with the prototype and the final piece. It feels like you just paid the manu. for the space shop, materials, equipment and very little labor. I hope you have a profitable agreement with them that they won't cost you a lot of the well deserved earnings.
Can't wait for the pics and prices.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by jcy98maxse
Yea if you weld them too then you'll really be the only one whose work on the this project the most as oppose just giving the manufacturer the design and having them come up with the prototype and the final piece. It feels like you just paid the manu. for the space shop, materials, equipment and very little labor. I hope you have a profitable agreement with them that they won't cost you a lot of the well deserved earnings.
Can't wait for the pics and prices.
originally i didn't really want to be there working on something that i have paid someone else to do. but then i figured, if i work on it or help out, things will get done sooner, and would be done to my saticfaction, i'm learing alot from the process too. unfortunately there are only two people there that know how to tig weld and that's the owner and the other guy, but there's pretty much 5 other guys that mig weld from 5am to 2pm.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:40 AM
Turbo is too much fun!

Well we're glad to see this coming to reality, just a few more days and we can finally see the final product.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:52 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

i'm learing alot from the process too.
O rearry?!?!
Old 11-20-2005, 12:58 AM
Turbo is too much fun!

Originally Posted by chilled
Can you give us a ballpark estimate on time Mingo? Im waiting to see your design before I decide if I will be going with your forward y setup, or a local shop's.
Please refer to post #300 or #336. Your question was answered then.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:34 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

Another update? Get any welding in or is it gonna be after the holiday?
Old 11-22-2005, 03:10 AM

cnc machine is leaking coolant all over the place. but the first pieces came off the jig.. keep in mind that more welds will be reduced. but this is pretty much what you guys will be getting, that's stage two right there. all IC pipes are bead rolled. because of the lack of interest in IC piping, they will be built to order unlike the exhaust pipes where i will build batches at a time.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:26 AM
I scam therefore I am

naplesmaxima aka Tommyali the scammer!'s Avatar

its a forward y pipe?

do you have apic of the intercooler?

will this piping fit stock exhaust manifolds?
Old 11-22-2005, 05:11 AM

Pipes are a forward Y-pipe and it will bolt to stock manifolds.

Mingo, do you have it setup so the wastegate dumps back into the downpipe? How will that exactly work because different turbine housings would misalign the downpipe. Is there different options with this?

Mingo, pipes are looking good. By any chance do you think you can get any higher res. pictures? Sorry to hear about CNC machine screwing up.

Didnt want to ask you this because you get asked ever other post, but do you have an estimated time where you will have feed pipes made, ready to sell? and anything on the price?
Old 11-22-2005, 06:52 AM

im scared, all the pipes look like different diameters.

Looks like a 2 piece feed pipe? Downpipe like splits into 2 little pipes than back to a 3 inch pipe? Looks kinda weird.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:00 AM
I scam therefore I am

naplesmaxima aka Tommyali the scammer!'s Avatar

when is thi kit going to release and mingo are you going to install the 1st kit on your car?
Old 11-22-2005, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by stephenlc

Looks like a 2 piece feed pipe? Downpipe like splits into 2 little pipes than back to a 3 inch pipe? Looks kinda weird.
Im sure the 2 piece feed pipe is so it can be installed, it might not be able to go in as one piece. The downpipe splits into 2 small pipes because it allows for much more ground clearance.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:58 AM

cnc machine is leaking coolant all over the place. but the first pieces came off the jig.. keep in mind that more welds will be reduced. but this is pretty much what you guys will be getting, that's stage two right there. all IC pipes are bead rolled. because of the lack of interest in IC piping, they will be built to order unlike the exhaust pipes where i will build batches at a time.
Im kinda confused with the downpipe..but Im glad your finally getting there Mingo, good job.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:13 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

As far as having he piping in pieces, trust me that in the long run you will be happy it's in seperate pieces as long as the connections are good. My original piping was in seperate pieces held together with butt joints and getting the piping in place was not all that hard. I re-did the piping removing some of the butt joints. Had to remove all the piping last month to pull the tranny, and let me tell you how much of a PITA it was to do without any connections.

Question, where is the turbo supposed to be mounted with this set up? Battery location I imagine?
Old 11-22-2005, 09:28 AM

Mingo told me it would be very similair to PFI's turbo location, so yes around where the battery was located.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:31 AM

Dang Mingo they look really nice, Great job!!!! I wish this was an option when i was doing mine. I think everyone should jump on this, you are getting the hardest part handed to you, what more can you ask for.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by stephenlc

the down pipe has that two 2" split for ground clearance which equates to 4" so you wont' be losing any flow there at all. infact i think it would flow better than an oval pipe.

as far as the different sized turbo fitting. this kit was designed for flexibility, the downpipe is in two sections, the top half can be changed when you decide to switch turbos, the current set ups that has been fitted is the turbonetics to4e 3" vband downpipe flange, and the garret t3/t4 hybrid 4 bolt downpipe flange. the turbo bolts up to the second part of the feed pipe, and bolt patterns have been made so it can fit both the t3 and t4 turbos. if you have something other than what i have, you may have to fabricate just the top peice of the downpipe, but chances are, it'll fit.

realistically speaking, if everything were to be one peice, then you'de have to remove the radiator, and crossmember to install this kit, and shipping would cost way too much.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:26 PM

oh yeah, i forgot to add, the feed pipe is almost equal length, that's why i put that little u section in there. i couldn't get it to be exact equal length due to space constraints, either that or i could have made the other pipe even longer which would not help, having one pipe shorter and shooting straight into the merge collector will help "pull" the exhaust out of the other ports kind of like how X nad H pipes work on dual exhaust cars.

the wastegate dumps back into the top portion of the downpipe.

i didn't have my digicam on me so those pix were taken with my phone..

my car is currently being prepped for a 1000 mile test for this kit. (i'll have over 1000 miles by the end of the thanks giving weekend) if all checks out, then they go on sale right away on the following monday, and 10 peices will go into production right away. these peices have not been tested on the sponsored 4th gen yet, but will be shortly. i can only do so much with only me working on sponsor cars, the battery still has to be relocated on the 4th gen. both 5th gens are fully prepped and ready to go.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:57 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

Great job Mingo! The pipes are looking good. Can't wait for better resolutions pictures, I think people are thrown off by the quality of the pic rather than the actual pipes. How are the pipes going to be connected?
When you take new pics, I think you should have a separate picture for both the feedpipe and downpipe so the people who are somewhat visually impaired can figure out what pipe is what.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:11 PM

kinda did it that way so competitors can't copy it easily
for now, until everyone else starts putting it up on their sites.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:09 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

kinda did it that way so competitors can't copy it easily
for now, until everyone else starts putting it up on their sites.
Understandable but when you do that, it also makes it hard for your customers to see what they are getting. Granted you can see all the pipes separated but its hard to visually piece together which pipe goes to where and rate the product(hence thats why some of us are having questions on what is what in the pic)...
Just my .02 cent.

Its a medium you have to deal with I guess and I'm sure there will be better pictures when the final product is ready to be sold, I'm gald we were able to see the pic finally its be long overdue.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the update mingo. Are you able to release any pricing yet? Just want to see how much money I need to get together so i can buy asap.

Quick Reply: for those looking for turbo piping