Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

help starting my twin turbo 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 03:08 PM

help starting my twin turbo 4th gen

i completed all fabrication a week ago and i wasnt able to get the car started because i couldnt get my laptop to correspond with my emanage. i have 555cc injectors and i believe the reason its not starting is because its running too rich because the emanage is not able to apply the correction factor for larger injectors. i just drove 2.5 hours from where my car is at to come home and grab my old injectors and before i leave (in like one hour) i hope someone can help me out. i know the emanage (emanage blue) can increase and reduce fuel by +/- 20% with its built-in dials, i tried leaning out the 555 injectors the full 20% but the car still wouldnt turn over. the only thing left i can do (as far as i know) is to throw back in my stock injectors and raise the fuel through those same dials and hope it starts. does anyone have any quick advice to help me out on the situation? ill be sitting here for another hour until i have to leave, at which point my only option will be to put the stock injectors back in and hope for the best. thanks guys, i will provide plenty of pictures when i get my car back so you can see how i got a twin turbo setup to fit.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Kevlo for President

Lower the fuel pressure and pull fuel and maf voltage at the lowest points on the map.

Old 07-13-2006, 04:02 PM

Would love to see the pics when you get your car back and dyno numbers, +1 on the first twin turbo max.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:22 PM
Proud of his GroceryGetter!!!!

Wow I havent been here in a while because my car is outta commision for a bit. Congrats on the first twin turbo setup but that was only half the challange, the other half is getting it to run fine now. Would love to see pictures and setup. As far as your problems, put the stockers back in and raise the FP.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Pay to Play

cant wait to c it!
Old 07-14-2006, 05:05 AM
KH3 by popular demand

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
Lower the fuel pressure and pull fuel and maf voltage at the lowest points on the map.

x1000 pics!!!!
Old 07-14-2006, 05:58 AM

Whatever you are doing keep up the good work. And I can't wait to see the pics. You are definantly a pioneer, and I know people will follow once you work out he kinks and such.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:22 AM
Bacon Lover

Way to keep a secret. +1 on the pics
Old 07-14-2006, 07:16 AM
Blu
the tits

in for pics....
Old 07-14-2006, 07:30 AM

in for the inspiration!! and the pics.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:57 AM

this space for rent...
Old 07-14-2006, 10:33 AM

we need pics NOW hehe
Old 07-14-2006, 11:22 AM

no offense but people are gonna be skeptical bout your claims if you dont provide pictures asap.Until then I dont believe you
Old 07-14-2006, 02:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by diymaximakid
no offense but people are gonna be skeptical bout your claims if you dont provide pictures asap.Until then I dont believe you
way to be a straight *** hole
Old 07-14-2006, 02:39 PM
Kevlo for President

Also, when trying to start a flooded engine. The FSM says to push the accel to the floor and then crank the car.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:40 PM
brotherhood of tq

when you get some pics up i will return
Old 07-14-2006, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by A Flood99
way to be a straight *** hole

yeah I guess Im an ***hole for saying my opinion.oh well i'll live on
Old 07-14-2006, 05:43 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
Also, when trying to start a flooded engine. The FSM says to push the accel to the floor and then crank the car.
Or pull the fuse to the fuel pump. But then you have to wait for the engine to die and put it back in.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:07 PM

Is it april 1st or are you for real?
Old 07-14-2006, 08:31 PM
Silver Tooth S2K 9k FTMFW

lets see some pics!!
Old 07-15-2006, 02:40 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

pics or BAN..

j/k
Old 07-16-2006, 05:01 PM
Alex_V

Awsome I cant wait to see it running! Im planning on maybe running twin turbos on my VQ when I get it in my 240. I read it all before but what turbos did you use?

~Alex

Old 07-16-2006, 07:16 PM

Is it me or has he not posted since the first post????
Old 07-16-2006, 08:15 PM
Kevlo for President

It's cuz you fegs whored it up

Old 07-16-2006, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by mforrest100
Is it me or has he not posted since the first post????
he may have a life
Old 07-16-2006, 08:53 PM

yeah give him time.he's trying to get his engine started and what not.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:26 PM

Try putting in a new set of spark plugs and start the car with the fuel pump fuse out, just make sure you have fuel pressure before you pull the fuse out and try cranking.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Blackwind
he may have a life

But we don't and thats why we want pics
haha
Old 07-17-2006, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by BLK2BLU
But we don't and thats why we want pics
haha
hahaha. this is true
Old 07-17-2006, 04:37 PM
I still miss the max

congrats on the finish, (you beat me to it) can't wait to see some numbers, i'm still saving for my plumbing, then i should be there too
Old 07-17-2006, 05:41 PM
UCF Lexus

stc ftw........
Old 07-18-2006, 12:45 AM

one question? sequ or independent?
Old 07-18-2006, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by densetsu
i completed all fabrication a week ago and i wasnt able to get the car started because i couldnt get my laptop to correspond with my emanage. i have 555cc injectors and i believe the reason its not starting is because its running too rich because the emanage is not able to apply the correction factor for larger injectors. i just drove 2.5 hours from where my car is at to come home and grab my old injectors and before i leave (in like one hour) i hope someone can help me out. i know the emanage (emanage blue) can increase and reduce fuel by +/- 20% with its built-in dials, i tried leaning out the 555 injectors the full 20% but the car still wouldnt turn over. the only thing left i can do (as far as i know) is to throw back in my stock injectors and raise the fuel through those same dials and hope it starts. does anyone have any quick advice to help me out on the situation? ill be sitting here for another hour until i have to leave, at which point my only option will be to put the stock injectors back in and hope for the best. thanks guys, i will provide plenty of pictures when i get my car back so you can see how i got a twin turbo setup to fit.
Do you have the right cable that came with the support tooll? Why would you need to turn up the fuel on the stock injectors just to get it to start?
Old 07-18-2006, 09:31 AM

im back, let me download the drivers for my friends camera and upload the pictures i got. they will be online shortly with explination of the situation.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:08 AM

im back, let me download the drivers for my friends camera and upload the pictures i got. they will be online shortly with explination of the situation.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Kevlo for President

Sweet. Did you get it started? Need anymore help on that?
Old 07-18-2006, 10:47 AM
Wild for Width

Really interested in these pictures.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Alex_V
I read it all before but what turbos did you use?
i used two garrett t22's off of one of my spare twin turbo 300zx motors.

Originally Posted by diymaximakid
one question? sequ or independent?
do you mean sequential or parrallel? i dont know how to classify the setup, on the z each turbo is connected to one cylinder bank and each has its own exhaust system and intake system, both with seperate intercoolers and throttle bodies. the only thing linking them (on the 300zx) is the balance tube on the upper intake manifold to keep pressure in both cylinder banks consistent. on my setup, both turbos are being fed independantly just as in the z but they share the same downpipe and their intake sides going to the throttle body merge before being read by the maf. on the z it is considered parallel because both turbos work seperately on each side but on something like a supra or rx7, the setup utilizes a smaller turbo for spool up and then a larger one after suffecient momentum has been attained. this setup is more like the parallel one but it is not 100% consistent with the description of a parallel setup because im only feeding the motor with one throttle body.

Originally Posted by Chief Brody
Do you have the right cable that came with the support tooll? Why would you need to turn up the fuel on the stock injectors just to get it to start?
no, i made the cable myself utilizing the instructions on the yahoo emanage group. so far, i cannot get that cable to work and i dont have access to a working one. i didnt need to turn up the fuel on stock injectors to get it to start, i just meant if i can actually get it to start on stock injectors then i will raise the fuel via the ***** so i can drive it home and until i can get the proper cable to use my emanage correctly with my 555's.

now that ive addressed the questions let me explain the current situation (you want to see pictures dont you )...

i swapped out the 555's for the stock injectors and we tried to start it but it made no difference at all, it would just crank. after that, we started to second guess if the fuel system was properly connected so in an act of desperation we flipped the fuel feed and return lines thinking we were just dead wrong on them. well, we werent and they were intially hooked up correctly. we attempted to start it two or three times like that until confirming it was intially put on correctly, so we put it back the right way. this brings up my first question, can running the fuel backwards damage anything in the fuel rail?

after that incident, we made sure there was still fuel pressure and indeed, we were getting pressure, and the return was also spitting back fuel as well. i then remembered seeing a small amount of metal shavings magnetically stuck to the crank angle sensor (the one on the transmission side) so i took it off and cleaned off the shavings thinking it may not be getting a proper signal and thus my timing could be off, yet that made no difference in the sound of the motor nor in helping it to start. next, i happened to notice the absolute pressure sensor's hose was not connected so i connected that back to the map/baro solenoid. this made a slight difference in how the motor was acting, now, instead of just combusting maybe 5% of the time, i could get it to combust about 30% of the time, and sometimes it would even begine to turn over.

this is the problem; when it is cranking, rpms will go from 0 to around 100-200, sometimes 300, and when it turns over enough times to get started a little, it will start and i can let go of the key and it will hang at around 1000 rpm for maybe 5 seconds and then it will cut off on its own. i can duplicate this many times and every single time it is the same. also, the only way to get it to start like that is without giving any throttle at all, and if i let it start and i touch the throttle before it dies on its own, it will die immediatly.

now i can account for a couple of things that shouldnt be as they are but i cant see exactly how they can prevent the car from starting. firstly, the front engine mount isnt connected, the bolts are through the crossmember and the engine, but the nuts arent tightened more than with my fingers - i was thinking maybe the vibration from the motor (it does vibrate alot when its turning over and when it starts) could set off the knock sensor or something and prevent the car from function correctly but i cant see how it wouldnt start from that, even if the knock sensor was detected knock from the vibration it would just put the car in safe mode, it should still start.

second, there are two body grounds on the passenger side near the headlight, one is a solid black wire and the other is a bunch of wires crimped onto a single ground connector. i had them both connected in different locations but the single black wire was apparently not grounded well enough and the injectors would tick with the key on 'on' and the motor not being cranked. all the times i got the motor to turn over i had both of those grounds connected in the same spot - truthfully, i have no idea if it makes a difference or not if they are connected in the same spot.

third, i relocated my battery to the back using 2 gauge wire i got from home depot. i dont think this could cause that big of an issue but im going to list everything that could be preventing this car from running. for the positive end of the wire, i just crimped on a connector to the cable running to the back and connected it to the existing positive battery cable in the engine bay via the bolt and nut you use to tighten the battery cable around the terminal on the battery. the negative is grounded to some nut/bolt in the trunk behind the lining.

fourth, you guys know that big black box before the thottle body where those hoses connect? ive tried to run the car with them both before the maf, after the maf, and disconnected, i know stock they are supposed to be after the maf reading and right before the throttle body but when i made all the piping i didnt consider that and made everything for them to be connected before the maf reading. since then, ive connected that stock black box in the correct spot but it doenst seem to make much difference in terms of getting the car started.

also, i forgot to mention that ive tried to run the car both with the turbos and everything connected and also by bypassing the entire intake side and trying to run the car with just a pipe connected to the maf which is connected to that black box and those hoses and then the throttle body. im fully bewildered as to why it will not start that way, any opinions or ideas?

and here are some pictures that my friend took last night. i was going to move my car inside the garage and get pictures from underneath and a video clip of how it sounds when trying to start but being the genius i am i left the keys at home so i wasnt able to do any of that, but at least we got some pictures to prove to you guys this thing actually exists...

Old 07-18-2006, 11:36 AM

sorry if you cant see everything you would like, i didnt take them but if you have any requests of certian angles and such letg me know and ill take them next time i go there.

Old 07-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Blu
the tits

uhhh no pics of the install completed?

Quick Reply: help starting my twin turbo 4th gen