Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

First ever Rear Mounted Turbo maxima

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 06:24 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
Neoloc: Well right now i am being slightly irresponsible with the filter. I went to home depot and bought a sheet of wire mesh. then got bunch of layers n put them together, thats my filter for now it basically will prevent large objects and lil rocks from being sucked in but not very good idea with small ****. I want to route piping to somewhere high and away from the turbo and put filter on it. hopefully this weekend ill do that.
?? Some 3-inch dryer-vent aluminum flex pipe, run into the trunk where the 3" filter can be mounted? Next to the turbo oil-scavenge pump ???
Old 01-09-2007, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by grey99max
?? Some 3-inch dryer-vent aluminum flex pipe, run into the trunk where the 3" filter can be mounted? Next to the turbo oil-scavenge pump ???
Nah, i dont wanna make such a large hole on my trunk, specially since exhaust fumes might come in while being stoped for a long time with car on. not good. What im going to do is, just bang the floor (where spare tires goes) up more so that the filter can fit there right on the turbo for now.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Turbo 3.5

You got my wheel turning so sure, I have been taking some measurements and prices and looks like do can be done fairly cheap. with the most expensive parts being the turbo, bov and waste gate.

Why do you think your a/f is around 10:1 and what do you plan to do to get it up alittle maybe around 12:1
Old 01-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Because he has the a32 maf paired to z32 injectors. That is why he is running rich.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by t6378tp
with the most expensive parts being the turbo, bov and waste gate.

Scavenge pumps are also pretty high. In the $250 to $300 range if I remember correctly.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by SonicDust187
Because he has the a32 maf paired to z32 injectors. That is why he is running rich.
He's running the A32 MAF right now, actually. His previous Z32 went bad (or was already bad, I forget what).
Originally Posted by mtcookson
Scavenge pumps are also pretty high. In the $250 to $300 range if I remember correctly.
You can get them on eBay for less than half that
Old 01-10-2007, 06:17 AM

You got my wheel turning so sure, I have been taking some measurements and prices and looks like do can be done fairly cheap. with the most expensive parts being the turbo, bov and waste gate.

Why do you think your a/f is around 10:1 and what do you plan to do to get it up alittle maybe around 12:1
Well, i actually know the a/f is rich because i have a wideband. and yea its rich because of the reason sonic said.

also, i got my scavenge pump for cheap. there are several that are used for rear mount setup. i got me a Shurflo 8000 series, for bout $120. forgot exactly how much. but not over 150
Old 01-10-2007, 06:36 AM
Turbo 3.5

do you have anymore pic's of your setup and do you think a new maf will help with your a/f or will you have to go back with the old injectors
Old 01-10-2007, 07:09 AM

i got me a Shurflo 8000 series, for bout $120. forgot exactly how much. but not over 150
WTF... now I'm mad. I searched forever for scavenge pumps at a decent price and never found any that low. Oh well... at least I didn't buy any. It would have likely changed my plans if I would have known they were that cheap though.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by mtcookson
WTF... now I'm mad. I searched forever for scavenge pumps at a decent price and never found any that low. Oh well... at least I didn't buy any. It would have likely changed my plans if I would have known they were that cheap though.
Well i searched online as well and didn't find anything for less than 180. I purchased it through someone that has the Shurflo's for cheap locally so he just bought it and shipped it to me.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:25 AM

do you have anymore pic's of your setup and do you think a new maf will help with your a/f or will you have to go back with the old injectors
well theres nothing really thats left for pics unless u want to see something specific. Its just turbo at the location of muffler, then charge pipe along the floor to the front and up into the engine bay.

The z32 maf will better measure the amount of air coming in the engine therefore being able to let the ECU provide better and more accurate corrections. z32 maf and z32 injectors paired up is what u want to have.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:46 AM

this setup is ill, when ur fully done u should b able to get in the 13s, look into a 5sp swap
Old 01-10-2007, 10:44 AM

The z32 maf will better measure the amount of air coming in the engine therefore being able to let the ECU provide better and more accurate corrections. z32 maf and z32 injectors paired up is what u want to have.
It won't measure the amount of air "better" or more accurately. It's just calibrated for a higher mass airflow (lower voltage for the same amount of air) than the A32 MAF and is a better match for the larger injectors because of that. The other option would be to scale the injectors down using a piggyback computer.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by MaxBlack97
look into a 5sp swap
I don't think that will be happening....
Old 01-10-2007, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by nismology
It won't measure the amount of air "better" or more accurately. It's just calibrated for a higher mass airflow (lower voltage for the same amount of air) than the A32 MAF and is a better match for the larger injectors because of that. The other option would be to scale the injectors down using a piggyback computer.
no matter what, u always have to try and correct people even if they are saying the same thing as you.

MaxBlack97: I like being auto so no 5sp for me.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:08 AM

no matter what, u always have to try and correct people even if they are saying the same thing as you.
:attention
Old 01-10-2007, 11:11 AM

Wow. Nice job on the setup. I didnt even realize it was you until halfway through the thread lol. You did say you wanted to be the first to do something. Congrats.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:11 AM

MaxBlack97: I like being auto so no 5sp for me.
same here,lol. good work very creative.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:17 AM

thanx for the props guys.

cmax, yea dude i love auto. yea 5sp you get more power to the ground, but who cares. just make the extra power with the motor to make up for the auto loss lol. At a later time i will be looking to do high stall torque converter as it will really help me with launch. maybe like a 2800 or close. the other option would be to get a smaller turbine housing, to show boost earlier, but i like this turbos setup right now and how it performs. Daily driving is as n/a. showing no boost below 3k. its perfect.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by ghostmax301
Very ture. And this is a EASY way to run a turbo on a 3.5 swapped 4th gen. Cheap and easy is probably the best part about it though..
Hmmm Good point you have there....
Old 01-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Wild for Width

Are you planning on running a muffler?
Old 01-10-2007, 12:07 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

yea 5sp you get more power to the ground, but who cares. ....
Not to interrupt, but after spraying into my automatic's locked torque converter clutch a few times, I'm not sure that's true anymore......
Old 01-10-2007, 12:38 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

i'm already on ebay ordering parts.

damn you, streetzlegend...i wanted to keep my car reliable. lol
Old 01-10-2007, 12:44 PM

fr33way: for now, im not planning on running a muffler. the sound dosnt bother me that much. is not THAT loud. sounds like a magnaflow straight thru muffler. very deep. at idle is very very quiet.

grey99: I was talking to Aaron in regards to locking the tq conv clutch, and we both were curious on how you do it on yours? did you rig up a switch to a solonoid on the clutch or something. PM me if you would like for more info, so this thread does not turn into an auto thread lol.

tavarish: you copy cat!!! lol. and who said the car cant be reliable with turbo. daily driving, im not even under boost 90% of the time. as long as you keep things properly running. like oil in the turbo, making sure oil is making it back to the engine, no leaks, make sure ur tuning is done properly. etc....
Old 01-10-2007, 01:04 PM

Where the turbo is located is a good place, its cool, away from engine heat and such. What if you mounted the turbo where the cat would have been? This is a good cool place as well, its away from the rear wheel, oil lines would be shorter, you could keep your muffler at the back. This would be the same as your setup streetz but maybe a little less lag (if any was present), but there would now be an issue on how to cool, it. . .
Old 01-10-2007, 01:05 PM
I'm needing a caw

The turbo does seem a big large for this application. Probably why you are experiencing lag down low. It seems that once the exhaust gets that far back, it loses it's velocity due to distance and cooling. This equals less exhaust gasses to run the turbine. I've noticed that rear mounted turbos typically run a size or two smaller vs kits that run them closer to the engine.

The air filter is a big concern of mine. Even if you filter the large stuff, you are still letting in massive amounts of dirt into the engine. Get it sorted asap
Old 01-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by MDeezy
What if you mounted the turbo where the cat would have been?
If/when I do this, I would like to put it there. My only concern is space. It seems like there would be no good way to mount the turbo so that you had room for everything. i.e. if you mounted it with the turbine's inlet facing the front of the car, that puts the turbo at it's widest, which might fit by itself, but then will you have room for the downpipe and for a filter to fit in the exhaust tunnel as well? If not, you have to mount it differently and then do you have room for the exhaust piping going into the turbine and how would it affect things by putting huge bends in the exhaust and charge piping right there to make it all fit?

It would certainly help with pressure drop from the sheer amount of charge piping, as well. I just don't see it being practical or even realistically possible. I guess it'll take some closer looking and experimentation!
Old 01-10-2007, 02:33 PM

MDeezy: the guys that helped me and myself thought about mounting it at the cat location but after we were done lol. I personally belive the lag i have is not too much because of the distance, but because of the size of the turbo. This turbo used to be installed on another maxima the traditional front mount way, and he also saw full boost at same rpm as i do which is about 3800. Also, if it was mounted at the cat location, it would be hard to find a location to mount the scavenge pump.

Jeff92: I have been thinking of putting header wrap all along the exhaust pipe, ypipe and catback all the way to the turbo. This in theory should help keep the heat inside the exhaust pipe and therefore keep the velocity moving quick without loosing it much.

as for the filter, yes i will be putting a real filter on asap instead of the wire mesh i have now.. its my top priority right now as i am getting un-filtered air into the motor. I just have to bang the trunks floor up a bit to fit the cone, but shouldnt be too much of a hassle.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:50 PM

At the cat its prety much impossible to mount due to space limitations,

HOWEVER, bet'n the floorpan and the gas tank, by where the b-pipe turns to the pass side from the center channel. RIGHT THERE at that bend is where I'll be placing mine. keep the 2.5" exhaust tubing up to the turbo, then 3" from the turbo back. Another advantage of placing it here is not only the fact that u bring the turbo a good 4ft of pipe distance closer to the motor (so the gases are a bit hotter), but also the fact you can still use a muffler
Old 01-10-2007, 05:41 PM

sick, this could prove to be a really good idea
Old 01-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Wild for Width

Damn, so two more are already in the planning phase!

Streetz- I figured you didn't really care about noise, I was just wondering if that was your desired exhuast or a temporary solution with this project.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:51 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by 95BLKMAX
HOWEVER, bet'n the floorpan and the gas tank, by where the b-pipe turns to the pass side from the center channel. RIGHT THERE at that bend is where I'll be placing mine. keep the 2.5" exhaust tubing up to the turbo, then 3" from the turbo back. Another advantage of placing it here is not only the fact that u bring the turbo a good 4ft of pipe distance closer to the motor (so the gases are a bit hotter), but also the fact you can still use a muffler
In this location?

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2.../3inchback.jpg

That's a WPS 3" exhaust....
Old 01-10-2007, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Fr33way™
Damn, so two more are already in the planning phase!

Streetz- I figured you didn't really care about noise, I was just wondering if that was your desired exhaust or a temporary solution with this project.
Well i would really prefer if it was alot more quiet, but im going to take care of everything else first, like water injection, increasing boost to 7.25psi, turning to mid 11's. and just cleaning the whole thing up a bit. after im done. then ill start doing things like putting a lil muffler on, putting header wrap on the ypipe and bpipe maybe. etc.... for now. ill just keep terrorizing my neighborhood with the loud exhaust lol.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Bacon Lover

In this location?

Doesn't look like a big enough space to me to mount the turbo and clear the suspension's travel Maybe, though...

What about right near the current location of the flex section on the y-pipe?
Old 01-10-2007, 06:14 PM

In this location?

Yes right there infront of the fuel tank. I'll have to bang up those corners of the floor pan to create some more space, but I'll make the sucker fit. Plus, Dr. Kaos (the alias I got from how much I enjoy destructive/ damaging modifications... should have seen me with the dremel, chisel and hammer while putting in the cefiros, LOL) wont mind the slight humps on the floor, he never sits in the back seat anyways
Old 01-10-2007, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tatanko
Doesn't look like a big enough space to me to mount the turbo and clear the suspension's travel Maybe, though...

I said in FRONT of the fuel tank, not next to it. The only thing that's infront of the fuel tank is the floorpan, so thats something I can work around
Old 01-10-2007, 06:23 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by Tatanko

What do you think ?? Is there room ??

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...3inchunder.jpg

Dallas at work....
Old 01-10-2007, 06:24 PM

OR, you can just put it where i put it and call it a day lol. a few feet closer to the engine is not going to make any noticeable difference and im willing to bet that.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Bacon Lover

What do you think ?? Is there room ??

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...3inchunder.jpg

Dallas at work....
Room, yes, but it doesn't look like it would be as easy to set up as I thought. Not as much room as I would like, either.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:38 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by 95BLKMAX
I said in FRONT of the fuel tank, not next to it. The only thing that's infront of the fuel tank is the floorpan, so thats something I can work around
My only complaint is that not all of us want to ruin our car's floor pans and compromise their streetability and comfort like that. There may still be enough room without bashing in the floor pan, though.

Quick Reply: First ever Rear Mounted Turbo maxima