Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

First ever Rear Mounted Turbo maxima

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 05:06 PM

First ever Rear Mounted Turbo maxima

Well I have kept this project a bit secretive. 95blkmax, s0ber, and I (did most of the work lol), set out on a quest to prove or disprove that a rear mount turbo will not be efficient on a maxima....

We have disproved this notion. buahahhahahhh.
__________________________________________________ ______
now to the fact:

Before I list everything i did, this project was meant to work on a small budget of around $1,700.

I selected a T04B (.60ar compressor, .69ar turbine) since thats what 95blkmax had in his garage along with his 370 injectors and oil pressure gauge. I basically cut off the muffler and had a T4 flange welded as u can see on the pics below. that took care of the exhaust piping. Now for the charge pipe, i just purchased two 7' long 2" pipes and cut it myself. cost me bout 30 bucks for them pipes. i used radiator hose for the turns (since they handle alot of heat and pressure), also used regular worm gear clamps. I ran the charge pipe along the floor pan on driver side, pipe goes passed the tranny(auto) along cross member and up to the engine bay.

The hardest part was to figure what to do about oil system for the turbo. I used a scavange pump that has been used for the same application before succesfully. The turbo gets oil from a T off the oil pressure switch location. the drain is a -8 line i belive that goes out the turbo and into the trunk into the oil pump (scavange pump can pull liquid from 2feet below), then the pump takes the oil and shoots it to the front of the car into the front valve cover (will be tapping the lower oil pan soon for better return) the pump is capable of flowing that oil to the front at around 60psi max. I used a 1/16 nitrous jet i drilled on the turbo as a restrictor so the turbo dosnt get oil pressure that the engine produces and damage the seals.

I used a 38mm Tial WG, with a 7.25psi spring and a Turbo XS RFL BOV. so far i have 370cc injectors(z32) installed. Still using stock fuel pump and stock MAF.

Now for results:
Please bare with me i do not have dyno info YET (next weekend)
Air/Fuel at WOT stays at 10.0-10.5:1 upto redline (or the autos shifts)

now for boost efficiency, as predicted I do have some lag in first gear but only till 3,000 RPM, at 3k the turbo starts spooling and shows full boost at around 3800 (which is the same RPM it showed full boost with this same turbo on another 4th gen). The WG has a 7.25psi spring and i only see about slightly over 5psi in full boost (i belive the BOV might be leaking since i have not adjusted it). Since i am automatic I keep full boost throught all the gears above that. With a properly selected turbo size, a rear mount can probably be as efficient as a front mount.

Time for pics:

Old 01-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nice work. I've been thinking about trying that setup out myself but with the turbo I got it'll probably be a little too big.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:22 PM

nice. hows it idle? and hows the efficiency?
Old 01-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Silver Tooth S2K 9k FTMFW

oh!!! now i see wat you where talking about in the 6thgen forums, about the STS turbo
Old 01-06-2007, 05:41 PM
Bacon Lover

Haha. I suspected you all along.

...and I've known about this for days I feel special

Can't wait to see what kind of numbers it will post.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:54 PM
UCF Lexus

I knew....

Congrats! There might me a Z06 in Atlanta with this coming up

Are you daily driving that? No air cleaner or...what? Have you driven in the rain?
Old 01-06-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

There is a guy here in Maine with a rear mounted turbo on his 3rd gen. Hes had it for well over a year, maybe more like 2 years. Last I knew it blew from oiling issues. I hope you dont have a problem. You may want to rotate the center section so the oil flows from top to bottom.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:32 PM

Muhahaha, das right
Old 01-06-2007, 07:37 PM
SLOW

Hah, wild. Interested to see numbers.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

Good job. U finally got done with it. Did you do the 2.0 in or 2.25in that we were talking about? I knew about this too and I feel special . Good luck!
Old 01-06-2007, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
There is a guy here in Maine with a rear mounted turbo on his 3rd gen. Hes had it for well over a year, maybe more like 2 years. Last I knew it blew from oiling issues. I hope you dont have a problem. You may want to rotate the center section so the oil flows from top to bottom.
Well we placed it like that because if the bottom was aiming straight down, the "up turn" of the return line would set it too low and it migth catch on something. This however could be using a 90* fitting to attach the line.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:48 PM

thanx all for the props. well to answer all the questions.

jcy98maxse: Well i ended up using 2" piping, due to clearance issues. if i woulda used something wider i would scrape even more. i barely scrape now, only over huge speed bumps. I will be fixing this tomrow since the piping right below the driver seat can get closer to the car by like .5 inch.

trialt: Well it idles just like it did when i was n/a and drives the same. only difference is when you go over 3k you suddenly unleash a monster lol. I would say its very efficient.

|Bijan| : Yes it is my daily driver and my only car, I will be putting a filter on tommorow first thing, and I have also driven in the rain already with no problems. the turbo sits pretty high off the ground specially since with my suspension the rear end is pretty high (progress springs)

thanx all for the props i will keep this thread updated as much possible.

btw this BOV is crazy loud!! lol I might have to adjust it though because I think under full boost it may be leaking cuz i hear an air leaking sound from the front. i removed all the washers from the BOV which makes it more sensitive to let off. maybe the pressurized air is pushing it open a lil iv herd its common with the RFL BOV
Old 01-06-2007, 10:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have been waiting to see when your project would be finished since we talked about it. Great work. Can't wait to see the dyno numbers and see the power it makes.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:12 PM

thanx, i am just starting. its running but theres alot i have to learn about having a good turbo setup. as for butt dyno, it feels like my nitrous (75shot i had). so i maybe in the mid 200's maybe 250ish. a/f is still at around 10'ish.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:18 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I really like the simplicity of these setups. If yours proves to be reliable Im sure many will follow. Its cheap, effective, relatively simple install, and tossing it back to stock is very easy.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Nice work, post up some more pics when you clean it all up. Will be interesting to see in the long run how the non intecooled charged air effects detonation.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Turbo 3.5

so I guess thats why your were selling all your nitrous stuff, like your setup can not wait for the updates
Old 01-07-2007, 11:40 AM

Thanx all for the input. I30mike, I am planning on very very soon doing water injection with a similar scavenge pump, since i rather not do FMIC because it will add even more distance to the charge pipe. Water injection should hopefully help keep detonation down if theres any at all. I might need some advice from you guys with this whole turbo project once a while since im new to it. I just put in mobil 1 synthetic (usually use castrol gtx, when i drained it it looked like water lol, maybe the turbos heat caused it to brake down too much or something).
Old 01-07-2007, 02:52 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Alky/H20 injection FTW. I have it on my SER, works out well.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:50 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
Thanx all for the input. I30mike, I am planning on very very soon doing water injection with a similar scavenge pump, since i rather not do FMIC because it will add even more distance to the charge pipe. Water injection should hopefully help keep detonation down if theres any at all. I might need some advice from you guys with this whole turbo project once a while since im new to it. I just put in mobil 1 synthetic (usually use castrol gtx, when i drained it it looked like water lol, maybe the turbos heat caused it to brake down too much or something).

Heh - I see what you did - and it's all good...... With high power/heat engines, you need a synthetic oil. After 3 months of blasting the tracks, my Mobil1 looks the same when I drain it as the new stuff I pour in. Insurance.

Use race fuel if you race - either Sunoco 104 (blue stuff) or VP Racing Street Blaze 103 (red stuff) is formulated to eliminate detonation and preignition. Don't forget the shaved-ground plugs and voltage booster things I do - all those will directly apply to boost, and they are also Insurance.

You need to think about your tranny a bit, if you push 300 hp - a VLSD automatic and Edge torque converter will let you perform much better, and that's more Insurance! Plus then you too can lock your torque converter clutch with a switch, just like me. (and the Buick GN turbo guys).... See the nitrous forum.

I really like your "tailpipe turbo" project - I can get my exhaust built up and still use everything with a turbo in the future - except a cutout.

Good job...
Old 01-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Wild for Width

Wow, very interested in numbers/more details/durability.

May be a nice way for some guys to get their feet wet with lower boost setups. Radiator hoses would make me nervous as well as the turbo being exposed.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by Fr33way™
Radiator hoses would make me nervous as well as the turbo being exposed.
I've already suggested to him creating some sort of shield (i.e. a skid plate) to protect the turbo.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Wild for Width

Well then arn't you just Johnny Wrench.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:50 PM

wuts up grey99, now you know why i have been so quiet in the shift_mod threads, iv been working on this turbo thing =). I definitely will benefit from a high stall tq converter specially since i have lag in 1st gear. I just had a couple of runs with a stock srt4 with an average driver, and i am completely even with him (30mph - 100mph). front wheels side by side the whole run, which means I "may be" in the mid low 14's. but thats just speculation.

as for the turbo being exposed and using radiator hose being scary. Well radiator hoses are meant to hold liquid pressure and lots of heat, and im only at 5-6psi so there is no problem there. as for the turbo being exposed, the turbo is not exposed at all, you cant even see it if you look down, to be able to see it you gotta basically lay down on the floor and look up, thats how high up it is. its very hidden up there.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:55 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by Fr33way™
Well then arn't you just Johnny Wrench.
Google Search: Johnny Wrench
Relevant Results: 0

its very hidden up there.
Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's safe from things flying up and hitting it or you accidentally going over a big bump and bottoming out. Yes, you can try and avoid these things, but there's always those "oops" moments. It would be as simple as buying a sheet of metal, bending it, and finding a way to secure it right underneath the turbo.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tatanko
Google Search: Johnny Wrench
Relevant Results: 0

Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's safe from things flying up and hitting it or you accidentally going over a big bump and bottoming out. Yes, you can try and avoid these things, but there's always those "oops" moments. It would be as simple as buying a sheet of metal, bending it, and finding a way to secure it right underneath the turbo.
I understand the danger of stuff kicking up and hitting the turbo. So a skidplate will eventually be made (remember we started out this project not knowing if it was gonna work at all, we just put it together to find out for sure... it just so happens that it does work! lol, so now we're cleaning it up and working out all the small things).

But danger of bottoming out that turbo are slim to none. Its pretty high up- about 5" above the bottom level of the rear beam, and those custom exhaust hangers yield no movement of that whole rear section, so that turbo wont ever hit the ground unless we accidentally drop it as we unbolt it one day

BTW, another comparison result, brand new carrera S, streetz got walked away by one. That's pretty awesome! Do some tuning, adjust the leaky BOV, and drop the passenger (usually myself, nismology, or s0ber, lol) and he'd be on his *** or walkin him!
Old 01-08-2007, 02:15 PM

Thats Cool Never Seen That On A Max Befor Nice Job
Old 01-08-2007, 03:02 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

wuts up grey99, now you know why i have been so quiet in the shift_mod threads, iv been working on this turbo thing =). I definitely will benefit from a high stall tq converter specially since i have lag in 1st gear. I just had a couple of runs with a stock srt4 with an average driver, and i am completely even with him (30mph - 100mph). front wheels side by side the whole run, which means I "may be" in the mid low 14's. but thats just speculation.
I'm gonna nominate you for the "King Of The Tailpipe Turbo" award.

You'll need some tweaking of the automatic, all right. Heh - another Shift_Fast_2 user is coming up... Somebody mentioned installing a local oil supply and pump in the rear for the turbo - what do you think of that idea? It seems like that could make the installation easier and more reliable, but what do I know about turbos ??

What you really need is to launch with nitrous and cut it off when you reach boost - the best of both worlds... You must had some creative friends around, too. Any thoughts about how large of a turbo will work in the back? And how much boost you should be able to squeeze out of what you're running? With race gas and trick plugs, you shouldn't have any detonation, so I think about 30psi of boost should do you....
Old 01-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by grey99max
I'm gonna nominate you for the "King Of The Tailpipe Turbo" award.

You'll need some tweaking of the automatic, all right. Heh - another Shift_Fast_2 user is coming up... Somebody mentioned installing a local oil supply and pump in the rear for the turbo - what do you think of that idea? It seems like that could make the installation easier and more reliable, but what do I know about turbos ??

What you really need is to launch with nitrous and cut it off when you reach boost - the best of both worlds... You must had some creative friends around, too. Any thoughts about how large of a turbo will work in the back? And how much boost you should be able to squeeze out of what you're running? With race gas and trick plugs, you shouldn't have any detonation, so I think about 30psi of boost should do you....
You're gonna scare the boy
Old 01-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Turbo 3.5

damn you got me thinking now and I just posted a thread the other day about needing more power. This looks like a simple setup can't wait till I see the dyno #'s. The only thing I would change is a stand alone oil supply for the turbo like the pro-charger setup. and maybe alittle smaller turbo so boost will kick in around 3000rpms and not 3800rpm or run nitrous since a already have it with a 3500rpm cutoff

great job and good luck, question will the muffler have to go back on to pass emissions
Old 01-08-2007, 05:45 PM

muffler is only there for sound, has absolutly nothing to do with emissions, so you need not worry.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Turbo 3.5

anymore pic's
Old 01-08-2007, 06:10 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by Tatanko
You're gonna scare the boy
You know, I think he can handle it.......
Old 01-08-2007, 08:05 PM

damn nice setup.

makes me plan and scheme. . . .
Old 01-08-2007, 08:14 PM

grey99, well im not going to mess with nitrous for a long time, in fact i might even use the nitrous solenoids for water/alchy injection. I really really wanna do a seperate oil supply. Like a lil tank in the back so that the turbo will get its own supply of oil. like a dry sump system.. but i really dont kno how to set it up. Iv looked for things online about it but just dont get good info on how to build my own. i would really love to do that, if you or anyone can offer any ideas about that, please let me know.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:53 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

grey99, well im not going to mess with nitrous for a long time, in fact i might even use the nitrous solenoids for water/alchy injection. I really really wanna do a seperate oil supply. Like a lil tank in the back so that the turbo will get its own supply of oil. like a dry sump system.. but i really dont kno how to set it up. Iv looked for things online about it but just dont get good info on how to build my own. i would really love to do that, if you or anyone can offer any ideas about that, please let me know.
I don't know squat about turbos, but if you're gonna race your new beast, think about a small fuel cell and a WOT switch to control cutting in race gas when you go WOT - automatically. I don't get spraying water/alcohol when you could use 104 octane and shaved-ground plugs, and be perfectly OK with high boost. Really high boost. I ran against an Eagle talon that did have 30psi boost, and a modified 2.4L engine, and he ran in the mid and low 11s. Whupped me big-time - on street tires. He used some of the same things...

Have any specs on the turbo? like max oil pressure and the volume you need for the turbo? It would probably need a timer after shutdown, as well, to keep from toasting bearings. This would so much easier to live with than engine oil lines, I think...
Old 01-08-2007, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
I really like the simplicity of these setups. If yours proves to be reliable Im sure many will follow. Its cheap, effective, relatively simple install, and tossing it back to stock is very easy.
Very ture. And this is a EASY way to run a turbo on a 3.5 swapped 4th gen. Cheap and easy is probably the best part about it though..

I KNOW with that Rear mount turbo, you can hear it LITERALY a mile away

Im looking foward to the dyno results and of this, seems to have caught my attn..
Old 01-08-2007, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by ghostmax301
I KNOW with that Rear mount turbo, you can hear it LITERALY a mile away
There no doubt whats going on when you hear the car
Old 01-08-2007, 09:48 PM
SLOW

What are you doing for an air filter? Are you just sticking it on there or do you have some piping to move it up and away from there so you don't have to clean it every 2 days?
Old 01-09-2007, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by grey99max
I don't know squat about turbos, but if you're gonna race your new beast, think about a small fuel cell and a WOT switch to control cutting in race gas when you go WOT - automatically. I don't get spraying water/alcohol when you could use 104 octane and shaved-ground plugs, and be perfectly OK with high boost. Really high boost. I ran against an Eagle talon that did have 30psi boost, and a modified 2.4L engine, and he ran in the mid and low 11s. Whupped me big-time - on street tires. He used some of the same things...

Have any specs on the turbo? like max oil pressure and the volume you need for the turbo? It would probably need a timer after shutdown, as well, to keep from toasting bearings. This would so much easier to live with than engine oil lines, I think...
Well the turbo is a T04B, .69ar compressor and .60ar turbine, but i dont kno specs as far as how much oil its supposed to hold. I did put a restrictor in the feed line so that it will not get the engines full pressure, since this is known to cause seals to go bad due to the high pressure.

water/alcohol injection is very inexpensive compared to race gas and might be just as effective from what i have read. and simple to do.

Neoloc: Well right now i am being slightly irresponsible with the filter. I went to home depot and bought a sheet of wire mesh. then got bunch of layers n put them together, thats my filter for now it basically will prevent large objects and lil rocks from being sucked in but not very good idea with small ****. I want to route piping to somewhere high and away from the turbo and put filter on it. hopefully this weekend ill do that.

Quick Reply: First ever Rear Mounted Turbo maxima