Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Turbo Specialties VQ30 turbo kit review

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Doctor D I presume???

Originally Posted by fawad
Hello,
Hey Doc this is the newbie again, sorry to bother you. I was wondering about the kit so is it okay to buy the kit without the turbo or not. Everything else works out or not like piping and all that other stuff. I'm still looking forward to your finished project can't wait.
You can buy the kit without the turbo, Turbospecialties built this kit using my car year. It is OK,.. one of the reasons I have been sponsored is to upgrade the kit when they sell it to customers.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:28 PM

Hello,
I have 1998 Maxima SE. I'm asking for your opinion Doc well everything will be good if I were to go with a GT3071R with that flange from that website. Will the piping work, like the feed pipes, down pipes, etc. What exactly should I ask for when ordering that flange. Can I go bigger injectors like 550cc instead of using the kits fuel system. Not trying to be a major pain but I'm just asking as much as I can. Do I need a bigger intercooler or the one with the kit would work. Do you have to replace the radiator or can stock will work.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do some research FAWAD. Everything can't be handed to you. From the sounds of it, you're not ready to even think about boosting your vehicle.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:46 AM
Turbo 3.5

Hello,
I have 1998 Maxima SE. I'm asking for your opinion Doc well everything will be good if I were to go with a GT3071R with that flange from that website. Will the piping work, like the feed pipes, down pipes, etc. What exactly should I ask for when ordering that flange. Can I go bigger injectors like 550cc instead of using the kits fuel system. Not trying to be a major pain but I'm just asking as much as I can. Do I need a bigger intercooler or the one with the kit would work. Do you have to replace the radiator or can stock will work.
start from the beginning and ready the thread most of your question will be answered
Old 12-03-2007, 11:18 AM

There are a lot of newer threads that can help you fawad. Please take some time and look and you will find out most of what you are looking for.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:32 AM

Hello,
I appreciate it you guys. I know being too needy here. I read this whole thread from the begining till end. Just have to start somehwere I guess. But my apologies, I'll ask more question, just afraid of getting stuck in the middle of it.
Thanks .
Old 12-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Turbo 3.5

Hello,
I appreciate it you guys. I know being too needy here. I read this whole thread from the begining till end. Just have to start somehwere I guess. But my apologies, I'll ask more question, just afraid of getting stuck in the middle of it.
Thanks .

I do not think asking questions is the problem, it's just that most of the questions your asking can be answered in the same thread your posting them in. just read the stickies and the thread then ask the questions cause if you do not understand whats going on some of the answers mayl not make sense either
Old 12-03-2007, 12:52 PM

Thanks !
Old 12-03-2007, 01:31 PM

Off topic but Doc, you're location is just Nasty!!!
Old 12-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Doctor D I presume???

Originally Posted by 00SEMAX19
Off topic but Doc, you're location is just Nasty!!!
LOLz thought you all might enjoy my home!!!

Fawad, you won't get stuck,.. If read this thread I stated if you buy the kit and run into problems, don't hesitate to ask me for help!!! I can walk you or anyone through since I have already done it. this is one of those things you can only jump in with both feet or dont jump at all, Unfortunately there is no middle ground.

Let me ask you this, what's the biggest roadblock that's stopping you?
Old 12-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Banned

Hello,
no one has test fitted the larger turbo. so no. no one sknows if it will it...it "Should" fit.

the piping will work as you are just getting a bigger turbo. however it should be noted that the piping supplied in the kit is on the small size. it looks like it was made for a smaller engine...

you can still use the injector "hack" fuel delivery system they give you. however it certainly does not guarantee correct amounts of fuel into each cylinder and it will cause damage over the course of it's use. the proper way to do it would be larger injectors in the stock place and rip out their crap fuel delivery unit...also the more you boost using their method of fuel delivery the larger risk of damage to occur will rise. also larger injectors mean some sort of fuel/engine management system in place.

personally i think the kit wasn't made for this engine. Small pipes, a small *** turbo. your better off with a 3.5 swap before you do this. cheaper, more hp, and less risk.

Last edited by Torgus; 12-03-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:03 PM
Doctor D I presume???

Originally Posted by Torgus
no one has test fitted the larger turbo. so no. no one sknows if it will it...it "Should" fit.

the piping will work as you are just getting a bigger turbo. however it should be noted that the piping supplied in the kit is on the small size. it looks like it was made for a smaller engine...

you can still use the injector "hack" fuel delivery system they give you. however it certainly does not guarantee correct amounts of fuel into each cylinder and it will cause damage over the course of it's use. the proper way to do it would be larger injectors in the stock place and rip out there crap fuel delivery unit...also the more you boost using their method of fuel delivery the larger risk of damage to occur will rise. also larger injectors mean some sort of fuel/engine management system in place.

personally i think the kit wasn't made for this engine. Small pipes, a small *** turbo. your better off with a 3.5 swap before you do this. cheaper, more hp, and less risk.
Umm I think you need to get your facts straight before posting your opinions this fuel delivery system. 1. where are you getting your information? 2. Where's your facts backing it up? I want proof that this is so called crap.

TO BE VERY CLEAR ON THISNot to bust your stones Torgus But, I have this system, 10psi. no engine/ fuel problems. Ask anyone who has ridden in my car. The reason they used this turbo t-28 is because they weren't comfortable going with a bigger turbo because of fitment.. Thats why they've asked me if they can help me go bigger. Then use the info i give them to make the kit even better.

I HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH THIS SYSTEM AND MY FUEL CURVE IS IN THE 14.1-15.2 RANGE. This fuel system is well built, delivers like a nitrous system. youre getting a steady flow of fuel with the injectors, THIS SYSTEM COMPENSATES for lean/ rich adjustments VIA A Injector PHASE CONTOLLER A(not that much different than e-manage does). Its not a Hack as you so call it. I think you just don't prefer this for your set up, which I can understand that, but dont go bashing a system you don't have any facts for to back up your opinion.

FYI they used a 2000 maxima to design the kit around, its tried and true. Ive had this kit now for almost a year, Zero problems with fuel delivery. If youre nervous about this system, A. ask, B. get a Walboro fuel pump. C. increase your injector size. If you have reservations go with choice A! You dont always need an e-manage to make a turbo system work.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Banned

#1 you made your thread about this new turbo you had installed a few months ago. i never knew you had it for a year...news to me.

#2: you know as well as i do throwing in fuel where they do is not the best way. i mean hell why not just have 1 injector instead of six...what was Nissan thinking..oh wait accurate amounts of fuel in each combustion chamber..hmm...

#3 the tubing is small. you know it. i know it. even supercharged 3.0 have bigger tubing from stillen and it makes LESS boost.

#4 how much HP are you making again after spending over 4k on this kit???

#5 you are just pissed because you paid someone $450 to install a bung in your oilpan. which should cost TOPS $50. how does it feel to get pwn3d?

Last edited by Torgus; 12-03-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by doc2278
You can buy the kit without the turbo, Turbospecialties built this kit using my car year. It is OK,.. one of the reasons I have been sponsored is to upgrade the kit when they sell it to customers.
your 1st post you said you bought it premade...now they built it using your car as a prototype?
Old 12-03-2007, 09:14 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Alright, I have said this MANY times now, GT3071R is a FRIGGN T2 frame turbo ! How many times do I have to repeat myself ?

Read the stupid stickies, and read this thread. This topic has been beaten to death here already. It sounds like you can't comprehend a simple answer that has been given to you mannny times.

I doubt you can put this all togheter yourself. If you want a turbo car, Maxima isn't the car you should be messing with. Its not a Civic or a Sentra where bolting on a turbo is just few hours away from boosting.

READ threads, research before you ask stupid questions.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:48 PM
wat

#3 the tubing is small. you know it. i know it. even supercharged 3.0 have bigger tubing from stillen and it makes LESS boost.
ZOMG less psi always means less hp right?

your 1st post you said you bought it premade...now they built it using your car as a prototype?
Its being used to make the kit better, i would guess better charge piping and exhaust piping
Old 12-03-2007, 10:08 PM

He said they were using his car year, not his car
Old 12-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Drug Money

Dang Torgus, chill out homie, you're not turbocharged so I don't think you have too much of a say in this.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:14 AM
Doctor D I presume???

#1 you made your thread about this new turbo you had installed a few months ago. i never knew you had it for a year...news to me.

#2: you know as well as i do throwing in fuel where they do is not the best way. i mean hell why not just have 1 injector instead of six...what was Nissan thinking..oh wait accurate amounts of fuel in each combustion chamber..hmm...

#4 how much HP are you making again after spending over 4k on this kit???

#5 you are just pissed because you paid someone $450 to install a bung in your oilpan. which should cost TOPS $50. how does it feel to get pwn3d?
1. read the thread
2.2 injectors compensate. no problems
3.maybe so but that can always be changed
4. didnt spend anywhere near 4k where did are you getting that # at? If you totaled the cost of kit with MY TIME BUILDING THEN, YES. Then again I didnt write myself a check for the job I did.
5. 450.00 isnt that much. never was pissed about it in the first place. 50.00 is for a shotty job. I think you got pwned my friend.

/bickering

Last edited by doc2278; 12-04-2007 at 04:20 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:15 AM
Doctor D I presume???

Originally Posted by 00SEMAX19
He said they were using his car year, not his car
correct
Old 12-04-2007, 04:17 AM
Doctor D I presume???

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
Alright, I have said this MANY times now, GT3071R is a FRIGGN T2 frame turbo ! How many times do I have to repeat myself ?

Read the stupid stickies, and read this thread. This topic has been beaten to death here already. It sounds like you can't comprehend a simple answer that has been given to you mannny times.

I doubt you can put this all togheter yourself. If you want a turbo car, Maxima isn't the car you should be messing with. Its not a Civic or a Sentra where bolting on a turbo is just few hours away from boosting.

READ threads, research before you ask stupid questions.

correct, this kit does take time to put together. took me 2.5 weeks ( spare time though) to get it done.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Banned

have you gotten new dyno numbers yet at 10psi?

these are your newest right? at 8psi right?
244.3 wtq @ 4650rpm
220.3 whp @ 5100 rpm
Old 12-04-2007, 03:54 PM

Is this kit still currently available?
Old 12-04-2007, 04:12 PM
SLOW

everybody chill, lets keep the thread a discussion - whether you like the kit or not - and not a bickering session.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:17 PM
drag racing is for wussies

I'm not dissing the kit in any way, **** I have majority of its parts for my car to be installed....

My problem is with n00bs who come in here, asking same stupid questions. Its not like the info is hard to find, its all in THIS thread.

How much PSI - questions like this are absolutely absurd. More PSI = more power, it doesn't work that way.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:26 PM
Turbo 3.5

Originally Posted by aprisamotorsports
yes
Old 12-04-2007, 04:32 PM

Hello,
Hey Doc this is Fawad again replying to your post. The only thing that I'm hesitating about I know, its been mentioned alot that you can go bigger tubo and there is room to fit. Only thing I come to think of is the piping, feed pipes and etc don't know if bigger piping is required or not. I know all this is already is been discussed here. Just confused a little someone is saying this and someone is saying that. CONFUSED ! ! !. But I know you said you are willing to help, so its just matter of time I buy everything thats all.
Thankyou !
Old 12-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Doctor D I presume???

Originally Posted by aprisamotorsports
Yes it is...
Old 12-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Doctor D I presume???

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
everybody chill, lets keep the thread a discussion - whether you like the kit or not - and not a bickering session.

I said what I needed to say,... i am done with that part. I have no hard feelings. I am in hopes Torgus you dont have any either, Youre a pretty cool guy. I can respect one for putting themselves out there like you did.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:51 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

do turbo's care about the front bank being so close to the turbo and the rear bank having to travel further.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by MyownNismo
do turbo's care about the front bank being so close to the turbo and the rear bank having to travel further.
yea and no. It all passes by there so itll help make the boost.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

this kit does look tempting cause doc is a auto and I did just get a rebuilt AE auto with a stage II VB.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:09 PM

this kit does look tempting cause doc is a auto and I did just get a rebuilt AE auto with a stage II VB.
Go for it. if i was to do mine over i would really consider getting this kit.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:22 PM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Yo doc where you at??? You seem to have disappeared since you got this turbo kit installed. You kept telling tom and I that you were coming to the track, but you never showed
Old 12-12-2007, 10:23 AM

Sweet.....I had the same auto with the VB stage 2, and my SC on 9psi killed the tranny. If your aiming for like 300whp, you might have a problem.

Now I'm a 5speed with a Quaife, no problems....
Old 12-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Originally Posted by Ghase
Sweet.....I had the same auto with the VB stage 2, and my SC on 9psi killed the tranny. If your aiming for like 300whp, you might have a problem.

Now I'm a 5speed with a Quaife, no problems....
Well it's set in stone. It is my only car. I can't have really have downtime.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:59 PM

I must admit i bought this kit from turbospecialties and sent it back when i got cold feet. Seems to me that whoever buys the regular kit and installs it gets "EH" results. Although doc is auto it seems like he covered all the bases when he installed it to get the most out of his automatic set up. So much that i feel that once installed on a 5 speed vq30 they WONT see much more gains over Docs numbers, considering whatever supporting other mods they have on there.
In the end i feel the best thing to do is like blackbird is doing, to just order SOME stuff from there and make the rest yourself. If the kit was THAT GREAT instead of having 8 pages of arguements and speculations we would have 10 pages of great results and dyno sheets.

***Thanks for charging me a 10% restocking fee DOUG ADAMS.****
Old 01-06-2008, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by RacerX1320
I must admit i bought this kit from turbospecialties and sent it back when i got cold feet. Seems to me that whoever buys the regular kit and installs it gets "EH" results. Although doc is auto it seems like he covered all the bases when he installed it to get the most out of his automatic set up. So much that i feel that once installed on a 5 speed vq30 they WONT see much more gains over Docs numbers, considering whatever supporting other mods they have on there.
In the end i feel the best thing to do is like blackbird is doing, to just order SOME stuff from there and make the rest yourself. If the kit was THAT GREAT instead of having 8 pages of arguements and speculations we would have 10 pages of great results and dyno sheets.

***Thanks for charging me a 10% restocking fee DOUG ADAMS.****
well you are returning a product that you changed your mind on. Would have been different if it was damaged or something of that nature.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:49 PM

Yea i dont know any where that wouldnt charge a restock on something of that nature.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:02 PM

RacerX1320 you know its been mentioned that you can get a bigger turbo so why didn't you order that instead of sticking with a T28. All you had to do is to get a adapter plate. What other parts are you talking about making it yourself ?

Quick Reply: Turbo Specialties VQ30 turbo kit review