Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Help me with a wideband choice

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 03:26 PM
The original VQ...

Help me with a wideband choice

So ive been on the fence about selling or keeping my s/c kit ... But im still reaserching my options.

Ive been looking at widebands, and im thinking of one of these two..
I have a vafc 2 and would like to tune myself.

my ideas.

1.) the lC1 kit which is $166 shipped.

cheap, reviews say its acurate.

But I still cant see how guys actualy tune with this, I guess you somehow time your runs? with a camera maybe?

2.) is the SLC 2 from 14point7.com , alittle more money at 285 shipped
Not to many reviews on this thing
But it has a RPM pickup which must make tunning 100 times easier..
Just do a run , log and make adjustments.

Help me out guys, id love to get the cheaper LC1 kit but I want to be able to tune with ease and accuracy

Last edited by maxspeed96CT; 10-29-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:43 PM

Basically to tune with the vafc you need a wideband that logs afr vs rpms anything else is useless.

I researched widebands extensively at one point when I was going to tune my first max and I found the best bang for the buck to be the zeitronix zt-2 wideband. It taps into an rpm signal and a few more signals as well if you want and it logs afr vs rpm as well as many other things. Granted it doesnt come with a gauge (you can purchase separate) but it connects right up to a laptop and you can log your runs and tune accordingly with the afc. IMO this is the best option and very easy to use.

Last edited by 2000_MAXIMA_KING; 10-29-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:53 PM

I just took a quick look at the SLC2 and it looks to be pretty good function wise as it has what you need to tune but without much reviews and very few pics I would question quality.

Also it looks kind of cheesy especially the program and it is done by a sole person (credibility?) so there is a possibility of a glitchy program, improper functions, etc.

I would stay away to be honest unless you see it in person.

Last edited by 2000_MAXIMA_KING; 10-29-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:59 PM
KH3 by popular demand

I personally love the zeitronix, but I have the full setup so it logs egt. boost. afr, lambda (?I don't use it for anything) and it has user inputs so you can log maf voltage or they have an intake air sensor you can add, so you can log all that. The full set up is probably out of your price range but you could build up piece by piece and imo it's worth it for the information it gives. It had a peak hold button so after a quick run I check to see what psi I hit, egts, afrs, etc. The 14volt.com setup has been around for awhile, if it is in your price range give it a shot and post a review.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:02 PM
The original VQ...

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
Basically to tune with the vafc you need a wideband that logs afr vs rpms anything else is useless.

I researched widebands extensively at one point when I was going to tune my first max and I found the best bang for the buck to be the zeitronix zt-2 wideband. It taps into an rpm signal and a few more signals as well if you want and it logs afr vs rpm as well as many other things. Granted it doesnt come with a gauge (you can purchase separate) but it connects right up to a laptop and you can log your runs and tune accordingly with the afc. IMO this is the best option and very easy to use.
Ill look it up, rpm pickup would make it a hell of alot easier ...

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
I just took a quick look at the SLC2 and it looks to be pretty good function wise as it has what you need to tune but without much reviews and very few pics I would question quality.

Also it looks kind of cheesy especially the program and it is done by a sole person (credibility?) so there is a possibility of a glitchy program, improper functions, etc.

I would stay away to be honest unless you see it in person.
Ya according to the product discription it sounds perfect, but im coming up shot on reviews just coming up with sales pitches more then anything.

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
I personally love the zeitronix, but I have the full setup so it logs egt. boost. afr, lambda (?I don't use it for anything) and it has user inputs so you can log maf voltage or they have an intake air sensor you can add, so you can log all that. The full set up is probably out of your price range but you could build up piece by piece and imo it's worth it for the information it gives. It had a peak hold button so after a quick run I check to see what psi I hit, egts, afrs, etc. The 14volt.com setup has been around for awhile, if it is in your price range give it a shot and post a review.
good to hear another recommendation , going to look it up right now...
Old 10-30-2011, 06:06 PM
The original VQ...

Bump , the 14point7 slc 2 is really tempting. The lc1 is def out though...
Old 10-31-2011, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
So ive been on the fence about selling or keeping my s/c kit ... But im still reaserching my options.

Ive been looking at widebands, and im thinking of one of these two..
I have a vafc 2 and would like to tune myself.

my ideas.

1.) the lC1 kit which is $166 shipped.

cheap, reviews say its acurate.

But I still cant see how guys actualy tune with this, I guess you somehow time your runs? with a camera maybe?

2.) is the SLC 2 from 14point7.com , alittle more money at 285 shipped
Not to many reviews on this thing
But it has a RPM pickup which must make tunning 100 times easier..
Just do a run , log and make adjustments.

Help me out guys, id love to get the cheaper LC1 kit but I want to be able to tune with ease and accuracy
I have the AEM unit and i'm very satisfied with it. I believe i got it for like 170 bucks on eBay. I have it mounted pretty close to the RPM gauge and when I was street tuning i just was doing runs and tried to gawk at it and then remembering the rpm to af/r. Just having a friend drive and look at those works really well too.

Also, to not run the risk of detonation i added a bunch of fuel across the band at first so it would run rich and subtracted from there instead of doing it the other way around.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:05 PM

The AEM works well if you have an EU since you can plug the signal and log with the EU but if you have an afc its best to pay the extra little cash and get a wideband that logs so you can tune more accurately.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:35 AM

I have been using LC1 for 5+ years I believe, and now I have two, one on each bank. They are on 100% of the time and I also use them to send the ECU narrowband signal. I have only changed the sensor 2 times (50bucks at discount auto).

Initially I would tune with the Logworks software, although I didnt have RPM reading, I learned how the AF curve and eventually knew by heart at what RPM i was looking at.

Now I have it hooked up to the EU, so I can log with RPM. I recommend the lc1 based on my positive experience.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:00 AM

I used a video camera to record my AFR gauge and my VAFC during pulls then went back frame by frame and made corrections accordingly.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:08 AM
SLOW

if i were buying a wideband today i'd buy the plx dm6.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Turbo 3.5

before I got the zextronix unit I used and still have a aem unit and would have a buddy go with me and watch the gauge and rpms when I made pulls
Old 11-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Turbo 3.5

btw paid 128shipped for the aem new and 100shipped for the zextronix used
Old 11-03-2011, 04:09 PM
The original VQ...

best price im finding on the zextronix is in the $350 range.

Am i missing something?
how are you guys getting them so cheap ? lol

EDIT : Does this have a RPM pick up? I dont see anything about it in the description http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeitronix-Zt...item35b65d4146

Originally Posted by Unklejoe
I used a video camera to record my AFR gauge and my VAFC during pulls then went back frame by frame and made corrections accordingly.
As crude as this ^ sounded to me originaly , as I look at my funds for the project it doesnt seem like a bad option ...

Last edited by maxspeed96CT; 11-03-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:57 PM
KH3 by popular demand

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
best price im finding on the zextronix is in the $350 range.

Am i missing something?
how are you guys getting them so cheap ? lol

EDIT : Does this have a RPM pick up? I dont see anything about it in the description http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeitronix-Zt...item35b65d4146

As crude as this ^ sounded to me originaly , as I look at my funds for the project it doesnt seem like a bad option ...
Most wideband setups have a wire that you tap into the rpm signal. The lc1 is pretty barebone. Keep shopping for a deal or save up, the plx dm-6 looks pretty good since you don't have a true engine management that the wideband can tap into, you can see some of the logs right from the gauge.

plx dm-6 on ebay

Last edited by maxgtr2000; 11-03-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:58 AM
The original VQ...

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
Most wideband setups have a wire that you tap into the rpm signal. The lc1 is pretty barebone. Keep shopping for a deal or save up, the plx dm-6 looks pretty good since you don't have a true engine management that the wideband can tap into, you can see some of the logs right from the gauge.

plx dm-6 on ebay
Looks good , and thats in my price range. But it still doesnt say anything about RPM pickup. Though I do see RPM on the screen pic

But nothing in the description ? Do you have to purchase any additional parts?

Also does this come with some basic software or do you just do all the work on the screen ?
Old 11-04-2011, 09:40 AM

You need to go to the actual website for the devices and look them up, the ebay seller is not going to give you any real information, most don't even know what they are selling.

Plus I've never seen that zeitronix zt-3 before I was talking about the zt-2.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:37 AM
SLOW

i have the DM100 and even though it has a "graph" feature on it, it is not sufficient for "datalogging" of any sort. the graph scrolls so quickly that it's useless in that regard.

the DM6 might have a graph that persists longer, or one that you can recall and read, or something like that to make it more useful in that regard, but it might be worth checking with PLX if that is what you are intending to use it for. if the graph is just like the DM5, you will not be able to use it for any useful datalogging since the graph scrolls so fast (the graph is really just a cool looking gimmick). though you datalog from it just fine if you buy the datalog cable and software, or if you use the analog output to your analog input on your emanage, etc.