Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

The New Nitto Motivos

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 07:09 PM

The New Nitto Motivos

I got a set of Nitto's new Ultra High Performance tire, the Motivo. I've been running them for about a week now and I'm liking them, so I'll put up my review for you all to check out.

When I received the tires, I was particularly impressed with the tread wear (560), traction (A), temperature (A) and load/speed (100Y) ratings. This is on an all-season tire.

Name:  Install6_26_122.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  198.3 KB

I went with the 245/45/ZR18:

Name:  Install6_26_123.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  118.2 KB

I was especially pleased with the 60,000 mile treadwear warranty on a UHP "Y" rated tire! The tread pattern is quite unique and the 3-dot wear indicators are quite novel (no more looking for a penny).

According to Motivo's description, these tires are made of a new compound that's designed to reduce rolling resistance, giving a smoother, quieter ride, and the compound - in conjunction with the tread pattern and sipes, increase grip and handling. The tread pattern is asymmetrical, which is designed to improve cornering grip and improve water displacement on the outside, and smaller blocks to improve wet traction on the inside. (here's the link to Nitto's tech description: http://www.nittotire.com/Tire/motivo#tech). The also have a built-in wear indicator which is a 3-dot pattern (eliminating the need for a penny to stick in the grooves). Here's the tread pattern (see near the top for the wear indicator):

Name:  Install6_26_125.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  163.5 KB

Here's a close-up of the wear indicator:

Name:  Install6_26_127.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  174.6 KB

Once installed, I noticed the the thicker, more robust appearance from my "old" tires (the tires I pulled off had less than 5,000 miles on them). Once I rolled away from the tire shop, the car rolled smoothly - a feeling like when you walk on highly polished marble floors. Then I took the first turn and really noticed a difference - the tires gripped so hard, I thought something wasn't installed right and almost turned around to go back! Once I got to highway speeds, I really took notice of how quiet the tires are. Next test was high-speed cornering and once again, the Motivo impressed me. Since my car has very little roll factor (it's sitting on BC coilovers, ES bushings, Stillen RSB, FSTB), the sidewall firmess is very noticeable. Here, the Motivo really stood out from my old set, as the car feels significantly firmer, making the car stable and well-planted. This is also very noticeable over bumps and potholes, where the tires do an excellent job of cushioning, yet maintain sound firmess. As far as stopping power, I haven't taken measurements to provide numbers, but my car feels like I have a BBK on it - definitely takes less pedal force to slow down or come to a stop.

I have been driving on the Motivos for about a week and have put approximately 600 miles on them, including a few trips between the coast and the desert. I must say, my honest-to-goodness impression is that the Motivo truly makes it a pleasure to drive. Through the mountain pass, they give me an utter sense of confidence when negotiating the turnpikes and winding hills. The Ventus was great, but these are on another level all together. It definitely has an edge over my old tires, which I cherished so much. I had been a die-hard fan of the Hankook Ventus for around 8 years straight, after having tried just about every brand of tire out there (Bridgestone, Firestone, Dunlop, Michellin, Pirelli, Achilles, etc). No other tire had given me the balance of performance and longevity as the Ventus, so I found it hard to believe I found something better. It was definitely an instantly noticeable difference. The Motivo has higher rated tire, yet it's in the same price range as the Ventus V4.

I have not had an opportunity to try them in winter conditions, nor have I driven them enough to comment on tread life. However, I have taken them on a couple of wet roads and they did not skip a beat.

Those of you looking to replace your tires, I definitely recommend you take a look at these.

Here's some more pics.

The full set, about to be loaded up for the trip to install them:

Name:  Install6_26_121.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  181.4 KB

Comparison with the Hankook Ventus V4ES:

Name:  Install6_26_1212.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  236.4 KB

Getting balanced:

Name:  Install6_26_1225.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  174.3 KB

They're going on!

Name:  Install6_26_129.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  180.4 KB

Name:  Install6_26_1226.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  143.1 KB

Name:  Install6_26_1227.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  122.8 KB

and ready for the first drive:

Name:  Install6_26_1229.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  186.0 KB

Here's another interesting review for anyone that's interested: http://www.daddoes.com/5249/review-nitto-motivo-all-season-tires-tire/

If any of you get them, let us know what your thoughts are. As for me, I'm really liking them!

Last edited by EuroDriver; 07-06-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:12 PM

Nice Man, they have a Wicked Thread pattrern, sure those do Very Good on Rainy Days....
Old 07-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

@EuroDriver:
I was thinking about getting these for my 08 max. Anything new to add about road noise, tread wear or how they perform on longer drives?
Old 07-30-2012, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by blkt
@EuroDriver:
I was thinking about getting these for my 08 max. Anything new to add about road noise, tread wear or how they perform on longer drives?
Well, I've been riding on them a little longer, taken a few road trips and my opinion hasn't changed. They are very quiet & comfortable on long drives. I have probably around 4-5k miles on them by now so a bit early to assess tread wear; they still look brand new.