1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Transmission...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004 | 11:45 AM

Transmission...

Well, to update everyone, the city is paying to fix my car...local and state laws, however, state they only have to pay the minimum required to replace the transmission with a comparable unit, and since mine was of unknown mileage, and the car has 240k on it, they settled for a local unit from a wrecking yard.

The car is now sitting at the yard, awaiting the transplant, which will take place tomorrow. Having them install the unit will provide me with an extended 90day waranty.

The city worked around my trying to get a rebuilt unit, by cutting a check for the quoted amount, to be paid to the wrecking yard in question. The deal became : "Take the car here for the repairs, or scrap the car." Therefore, the trans is being installed.

Due to the inability of me being able to purchase Redline ATF locally in time for the appointment that was made, this will simply have to wait until a fluid change is warranted. However, it will be getting a cooler at my next paycheck, and I'm having them drop in a quart of Lucas AT conditioner.

This yard has two mechanics, and this is the only job they has scheduled for tomorrow, so it's possible I may have my car back as early as tomorrow evening, if all goes well.

Thanks to all for the assistance, advice, and so forth. And to maxt2, I'm sorry the city turned this around, forcing me to back out of our deal...I would much rather have had the rebuilt unit, as I'm hoping to own this car for a long time to come...
Old 04-27-2004 | 01:21 PM
I love lamp.

Wow, that sucks they limited you like that. Hopefully though the car will be back on the road again. Good luck bro.

S
Old 04-27-2004 | 02:35 PM
I'm needing a caw

That doesn't make much sense. I know the city should only owe you a tranny that was in similar condition. BUT how are they determining a tranny that's in a junkyard is in a similar condition? Maybe the car is in there BECAUSE of the tranny!?

Is there a chance you can dig around at least find what mileage this thing had? Or pull the dipstick and see what condition the fluid is in?

Junkyard mechanics don't quite put me at ease either. Cut and hack job is what I envision. But I hope these guys do you right. But I'd have some type of small claims court procedure in the back of your mind or start thinking what you are going to do if these tranny turns out to be crap.
Old 04-27-2004 | 03:21 PM

Oh, I've got some things in mind if it turns out bad. The yard in question here, though, is very well respected for the work they do.

As for the tranny, by the time it was found, it had already been pulled from the car. Also, this yard never relies on the odometer mileage, as nothing says this tranny was the original unit, etc...

It is screwy setup, but this was the only auto-tragic available locally, and it has a warranty on it...i could have gotten a complete parts car, also, for less, but i'd still have to have the trans installed, as I don't have the equipment, space or time to do it myself.

At least they found one for me with a warranty on it.