3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Seatbelts died

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2000, 06:05 PM
Foo90SE

Earlier today my belts were going foward and retracting normally(the shoulder belt) and well tonite they went foward and never came back. The seatbelt warning light dosnt come on on the dash either when i disconnect them from the carrier thing. Anyone got any ideas? man i hate these belts

Old 12-23-2000, 07:01 PM
Maxima Princess

Well I'm not sure what could have happened, but the seatbelts are under lifetime warranty through Nissan. I'm sure any dealer would be able to fix this for free.
Old 12-23-2000, 07:12 PM
Foo90SE

Really..hmm...sweet
if they dont start working before dealerships open again ill call em up and see about that

Old 12-23-2000, 10:16 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

The belts it self may be covered, but

I'm not too sure about the motor itself. Lets say the belts were working correctly moving back and forth, but the mechanism that engages the tention incase of a accident was shot then i think they'll replace the belts not the motor. I remember folks saying that they got their belts changed for various reasons, Sarah being one of them. What was your reasoning for changing the belt, Sarah. I do know the switch that activated the seat belt motor located in the door latch not on the B pillar where the switch for the interior light located.
Old 12-23-2000, 10:44 PM

Yeah I was gonna say take it to nissan, they'l fix it, if not, bring it here to Vancouver, WA I'll hook you up, BTW, your car is identical to mine, Im like hey look theres livie, her names Olivia..
Also..do you have shoulder pads on your seatlbelts? I have heavy nissan ones, and they cause the seat belts to stay forward like when I get out and shut the door, they'll hang forward.
Old 12-23-2000, 11:19 PM
Foo90SE

Nope i dont have any shoulder pads...although my belts have had a history of messing up kinda. sometimes when the motor would try to move the belt foward, it would be latched at the thing in the console and it would sit there binded till i released it at the emergency release.
Olivia is a cool name for a car...i havnt named mine yet..all iv decided is that its going to be female

Would come to Vancouver but im literally across the US from ya..im in Georgia

Old 12-24-2000, 04:22 PM

yeah that is a ways! name her Victoria your car looks like a victoria, then u can call her vicki, LOL, and our cars can be best friends, since they are cars are exactly the same!
U have black leather right? Have u had to replace yr tranny?
Old 12-24-2000, 04:30 PM
Foo90SE

Yep black leather(that seems to have dried out a bit..its hard hehe) and yep when i bought the car the trannie died 50 miles later...1000 bucks and 2 weeks later and lots of cuts on my hands i had a running maxima(i installed it myself to save cash)

Old 12-24-2000, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by Foo90SE
Earlier today my belts were going foward and retracting normally(the shoulder belt) and well tonite they went foward and never came back. The seatbelt warning light dosnt come on on the dash either when i disconnect them from the carrier thing. Anyone got any ideas? man i hate these belts
Ummm....I'm not sure if this relates to the 3rd generation Max but the auto seatbelts in my Stanza gave up one time about a month ago. It started to get cold and then it died at the school parking lot. Like you, no lights or anything came on. Then it worked again when I got home from classes that day.

So what I'm trying to say is...give it some time it might decide to serve you again.
Old 12-24-2000, 09:17 PM
Foo90SE

I fixed em...turns out i had a short that i caused by putting a screw in a wrong place

Old 12-24-2000, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by Foo90SE
I fixed em...turns out i had a short that i caused by putting a screw in a wrong place
That must have been a scary couple of hours for you
Old 12-25-2000, 02:42 PM
Maxima Princess

Re: The belts it self may be covered, but

Originally posted by CandiMan
I'm not too sure about the motor itself. Lets say the belts were working correctly moving back and forth, but the mechanism that engages the tention incase of a accident was shot then i think they'll replace the belts not the motor. I remember folks saying that they got their belts changed for various reasons, Sarah being one of them. What was your reasoning for changing the belt, Sarah. I do know the switch that activated the seat belt motor located in the door latch not on the B pillar where the switch for the interior light located.
I think you may have me confused with someone else Candiman?? I have never had any of my seat belts replaced before. Sorry