3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

max wouldn't start pt2.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 11:14 PM

max wouldn't start pt2.

I thought I had the problem solved of my car not starting,but.....Thursday it refused to start again.Alittle ether spray did nothing.Weather was to cold thurs. and Friday to do anything about it except pour in some more dry gas.
Saturday morning I pull the send line off the fuel filter,promptly get gas all over my hand,interesting.Pull the line on the filters out side,nothing at all,now it's even more interesting.
Pull the filter off and give it a good shake,out comes fuel,shake it again.Out comes fluid that resembles what you get when you have dysentery.Horrible,completely nasty.
After a quick trip to ADvancedAuto for a new filter,more ether,and a new battery(was under warranty,less than 6 months old!)she started up with the assistance of half the can of starting fluid.Then a trip up to the staion where I work,and I know there is no measurable amount of water in the tanks,filled her up with about 12 gals. of ultra.
Now she runs fine.Through this whole event I learned 2 things,how to use the ECU modes for a diagnostic check,not the fuel pump of injectors(thank god).
And most important if I get crap gas from a station never ever go back there under any circumstances.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:10 AM

Ahhh, the leasons one must learn...

That's why the only place I get my gas where I'm at is Sam's Club. One I get a discount being a member, 2 they have the cheapest priced gas around. And 3 the most important of all... They don't use ethanol at all. So there's no chance of accidently getting that crap into my system.

Also, the easiest thing to do next, is let the fuel pump run with the outlet of the fuel filter off. When you notice the gas start to come out, plug it back in. That way it takes less time to start up.

Also, just like a glow plugged diesel, Ether starting fluid is not good for the spark plugs in a gas motor. Might want to pull the spark plugs and clean them.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by fripper
...Through this whole event I learned 2 things,how to use the ECU modes for a diagnostic check,not the fuel pump of injectors(thank god).
And most important if I get crap gas from a station never ever go back there under any circumstances.

ECU is a lottery machine... If u happen to have one of those faults that the designers designed for maxima, u migth get bingo.

Filling stations tanks contain always condensed water, thats because we live on earth with humid air. Underground tanks condense less. Note: maxima's gas tank is normally not underground...

The water in the tanks is at bottom, and when in a gas station there is a tanker truck fillup, it mixes the bottom soot all around. It takes days to settle... So if u see that tanker there in that -justdoit- business, run away, take a taxi or whatever --->but DO NOT FILL. Sam or exxon cannot hlp u...
Old 02-27-2005, 09:26 AM

All gas has water of course,it's the per centage that matters.If it,s less than 7% it can be considered negligible.Unfortunately here in northern ohio we are still under epa tryanny,e-checks and all.