3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

key problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2001, 10:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

When I try to open the door with the key it usually unlocks all the other doors. Now it only opens the door I stick the key in.Is there a electronical failure or is there a burnt out fuze or what? Help!
Old 07-13-2001, 10:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

could be a fuse if you're lucky
go to my page (link in sig) and goto the how-to section; in there is a pic of which fuses control what so you'll know which ones to check
I would post it here, but geocities is gay

also, it could be your door lock timer going bad. This is often seen when your locks start working intermitently. You can try to resolder it and that sometimes helps or you could buy a new one.
check out www.kalebonline.com for info about that
Old 07-13-2001, 01:16 PM

Key

Owners manual says if you turn the key once it will unlock that door. If you turn the key again it will unlock all the doors.
Try it.
Everything might be fine.
Old 07-13-2001, 04:42 PM

Re: Key

Originally posted by Plum88
Owners manual says if you turn the key once it will unlock that door. If you turn the key again it will unlock all the doors.
Try it.
Everything might be fine.
I think it's only for GXE that it works that way

SE takes one turn for all doors

or at least that's how it was for my 89GXE and 93 SE
Old 07-14-2001, 05:53 PM

definitely a fuse...
Old 07-14-2001, 10:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Fuse?

Originally posted by «§»Craig B«§»
could be a fuse if you're lucky
go to my page (link in sig) and goto the how-to section; in there is a pic of which fuses control what so you'll know which ones to check
I would post it here, but geocities is gay

also, it could be your door lock timer going bad. This is often seen when your locks start working intermitently. You can try to resolder it and that sometimes helps or you could buy a new one.
check out www.kalebonline.com for info about that

Thanks for the input. I went to your site and printed out the sheet for the fuse colors and etc. I was looking for the power unlock function, which was the light blue one you said. It said that it was on the right of the steering column....I couldn't find it. Where is it? I even got the service manual when I was at the auto store and I didn't find the location of the fuse...I guess you can tell that I'm not good with books. Help.
Old 07-15-2001, 01:04 AM

Re: Fuse?

Originally posted by krukrupah

Thanks for the input. I went to your site and printed out the sheet for the fuse colors and etc. I was looking for the power unlock function, which was the light blue one you said. It said that it was on the right of the steering column....I couldn't find it. Where is it? I even got the service manual when I was at the auto store and I didn't find the location of the fuse...I guess you can tell that I'm not good with books. Help.
I think you looked at the wrong think; that is the wire colors for putting in keyless entry and stuff like taht
there is a seperate one for fuses; all the fuses are located in the lower left part of the dash on the drivers side
there is a small panel that you can pull out to get to them
Old 07-15-2001, 08:58 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Key

I dunno, Craig.... Mine works like that. 1 turn, and that particular door unlocks (driver's or passenger's). A second turn, and all the doors unlock. Since I don't have an owner's manual, I lucked up on that one.
Old 07-15-2001, 11:12 AM

Re: Re: Key

i have a 93 SE and it takes 2 turns to open all the doors and just 1 to unlock that door

Old 07-15-2001, 12:49 PM

weird,
I guess my car is just special

I'm almost positive that mine works that way, but maybe I'm wrong then. I rarely use my key since I installed my keyless entry so maybe that's why I'm confused

sorry about the bad info; like I said before, check your fuses and if not, its probably the door lock timer
Old 07-15-2001, 08:19 PM

are all door lock timers the same all years...would i be able to use one off a gxe or older se,mine just died,all i hear is a click,click when i hit the button
Old 07-15-2001, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by 93 SE
are all door lock timers the same all years...would i be able to use one off a gxe or older se,mine just died,all i hear is a click,click when i hit the button
I'm not too sure about that
also, door lock timers only came on 91-94 I think

several people have resoldered the door lock timer (takes about 10 minutes if you know how to solder) and it has worked since
I did mine the other day (my door locks weren't working all the time and it was getting more adn more frequent) and haven't had any problems since (been about a week)
Old 07-15-2001, 09:42 PM

You are not alone!

weird,

I'm almost positive that mine works that way, but maybe I'm wrong then. I rarely use my key since I installed my keyless entry so maybe that's why I'm confused

sorry about the bad info; like I said before, check your fuses and if not, its probably the door lock timer

It takes just one turn of the key to unlock all the doors in my 91 SE.
Old 07-16-2001, 10:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Fuse?

I think you looked at the wrong think; that is the wire colors for putting in keyless entry and stuff like taht
there is a seperate one for fuses; all the fuses are located in the lower left part of the dash on the drivers side
there is a small panel that you can pull out to get to them
Which one is the one for unlocking the door. Is there a fuse for that. I can't seem to find it.
Old 07-16-2001, 10:42 AM

does your door lock button work inside,if not its probably timer like me,my key does same as yours..im gonna resoder ,hey craig,i have a rectangular computer lookin plug by lower left area by fuse box,dont know whats it for,do you have it too,im thinkin diagnostic connecter but its in wierd spot to be
Old 07-16-2001, 01:46 PM

does your door lock button work inside,if not its probably timer like me,my key does same as yours..im gonna resoder ,hey craig,i have a rectangular computer lookin plug by lower left area by fuse box,dont know whats it for,do you have it too,im thinkin diagnostic connecter but its in wierd spot to be
ya, I have that too; about 1 inch high by 3 wide or so covered by some plastic ridged thingy. It is the diag connector.

krukrupah - sorry about that. I can't find the door locks on there either. I thought it was on there. Anyway, I would just pull out each fuse one at a time and look. There are only 15 or so and the only harm might be losing your radio presets
Old 07-16-2001, 02:24 PM

weird,

Which keyless entry system do you have?

Pickwick
Old 07-16-2001, 07:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Still the fuse

The door unlock button works perfectly inside.... what can it be then? All the buttons inside work, the keyless entry buttons work. If I use the buttons outside of the car to unlock the car all the doors will unlock....but when I use the key,the door that I inserted the key is the only one that unlocks. Is my car just a screw up? Hmmm
Old 07-16-2001, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by Pickwick

Which keyless entry system do you have?

Pickwick
just a generic one I got off ebay for $40 or so
Old 07-16-2001, 09:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

keyless entry?

just a generic one I got off ebay for $40 or so
You installed a keyless entry on the Maxima? Doesn't it already come with one. Or am I talking about something different? Isn't the keyless entry the buttons outside of the car which you push to lock the doors, unlock the doors, open the trunk, etc.?
Old 07-17-2001, 06:40 AM

Re: keyless entry?

Originally posted by krukrupah

You installed a keyless entry on the Maxima? Doesn't it already come with one. Or am I talking about something different? Isn't the keyless entry the buttons outside of the car which you push to lock the doors, unlock the doors, open the trunk, etc.?
the GXE comes with the buttons on the door; the SE doesn't have anything
I installed my own and made it work with the stock alarm too
lock, unlock, arm, disarm, trunk pop and remote windshield squirters ( I push both buttons on my keychain and the squirters turn on and spray anyone to the sides of my car )
Old 07-17-2001, 12:13 PM
killamaxi

yeah

i have that same problem..