3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

whats wrong with my baby

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2001, 07:58 PM

whats wrong with my baby

I have a problem folks. I have a 1993 SE which used to run perfect and beautifully. Lately when I'm driving, for me to actually accelerate i have to floor it all the way. if i dont, it stays at like 2500 rpms and then as soon as i floor it, it goes redline. What could be causing it to not make it want to go? Thanks in advance. Its probably something small and stupid but I'm lost. Thanks again
Old 10-07-2001, 08:53 PM
STFU n00b!

First things I would check are your throttle position sensor, and see if all your plug coils are working correctly.

problems like that on my old VG were from either non-firing spark plugs, or from a bad TPS... the VE is a different beast, but the TPS problem is still a factor. take a looksee and see what you can find.
Old 10-07-2001, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
First things I would check are your throttle position sensor, and see if all your plug coils are working correctly.

problems like that on my old VG were from either non-firing spark plugs, or from a bad TPS... the VE is a different beast, but the TPS problem is still a factor. take a looksee and see what you can find.
how hard is something like this to replace? cost? i cant drive my car because it hesitates badly. i'm going to try everything i can think of unless someone has a better idea than i do (spark plugs, fuel pump, fuel filter, MAFS).
Old 10-08-2001, 08:46 AM

Re: whats wrong with my baby

Originally posted by atulb84
I have a problem folks. I have a 1993 SE which used to run perfect and beautifully. Lately when I'm driving, for me to actually accelerate i have to floor it all the way. if i dont, it stays at like 2500 rpms and then as soon as i floor it, it goes redline. What could be causing it to not make it want to go? Thanks in advance. Its probably something small and stupid but I'm lost. Thanks again
Do you feel hesitation when u go from stop to go?
Old 10-08-2001, 08:52 AM

Re: Re: whats wrong with my baby

Originally posted by MaxSE

Do you feel hesitation when u go from stop to go?
yes. and i feel it every so often when driving at a steady speed then trying to speed up to go up a hill or change in speed limit, seems like the further down i push the pedal, the louder the intake gets(could be in my head..) but i stay at the same speed or slow down(definatly not in my head). i dont have the money to take my car to a shop, so i'm trying to diagnose and fix the problem with the help of you guys.
Old 10-08-2001, 09:19 AM

WELL

SEEMS LIKE THE TRANNY TO M. MAYBE ITS DRASTIC THOUGH - BUT IT IS COMMON IN THESE TYPE CARS.... MY TRANNY ACTED LIKE THAT FOR A COUPLE MO BEFORE IT EXPOLEDED. I COULD GET IT UP TO 70 - BUT I HAD TO TRICK AROUND WITH THE PEDAL..ALMOST USE THE THROTTLE/PETAL AS A SHIFTER FOR THE CAR. I HOPE IT IS NOT THAT DRASTIC FOR YOU - BUT A POSSIBIITY. IF THAT IS THE CASE... YOUR BEST BET IS TO LOOK HARD AND GET THE CHEAPEST / BEST REBUILT AND JUST PAY SOMEONE TO SWAP THEM OUT FOR YOU. aNYTHING ELSE WILL TAKE AN ELONGATED TIME. And please - excusse capps. I just noticed...but I am not going to go back and retype now. take care.
Old 10-08-2001, 09:22 AM

Re: WELL

Originally posted by Jupiternaus
SEEMS LIKE THE TRANNY TO M. MAYBE ITS DRASTIC THOUGH - BUT IT IS COMMON IN THESE TYPE CARS.... MY TRANNY ACTED LIKE THAT FOR A COUPLE MO BEFORE IT EXPOLEDED. I COULD GET IT UP TO 70 - BUT I HAD TO TRICK AROUND WITH THE PEDAL..ALMOST USE THE THROTTLE/PETAL AS A SHIFTER FOR THE CAR. I HOPE IT IS NOT THAT DRASTIC FOR YOU - BUT A POSSIBIITY. IF THAT IS THE CASE... YOUR BEST BET IS TO LOOK HARD AND GET THE CHEAPEST / BEST REBUILT AND JUST PAY SOMEONE TO SWAP THEM OUT FOR YOU. aNYTHING ELSE WILL TAKE AN ELONGATED TIME. And please - excusse capps. I just noticed...but I am not going to go back and retype now. take care.
i have a manual if that post was directed towards me. hopefully it wasnt directed towards me BECAUSE i have a manual, i dont have the money for a new tranny yet. i'm saving...
Old 10-08-2001, 10:00 AM

Re: Re: WELL

Originally posted by MaDMaX024

i have a manual if that post was directed towards me. hopefully it wasnt directed towards me BECAUSE i have a manual, i dont have the money for a new tranny yet. i'm saving...
Yea i'm sorry to say it as well... but might be your tranny, my car had that same problem... with going but it was only my 1st gear that was gone... but don't take my advice.. just ask around a bit more... also try going to a transmission shop or nissan themselves and ask if they know what the problem is
Old 10-08-2001, 11:19 AM

regardless..it doesnt matter now

Yea i'm sorry to say it as well... but might be your tranny, my car had that same problem... with going but it was only my 1st gear that was gone... but don't take my advice.. just ask around a bit more... also try going to a transmission shop or nissan themselves and ask if they know what the problem is
it doesnt matter now, i tried to clean the throttle position sensor and the throttle body again, but before i did i wanted to make sure the car was still havin the same problem. i went out to start it and it wouldnt. the starter engaged, it just wouldnt fire. i'm ordering a new TPS ASAP because i stripped the contacts on mine (i scraped the metal off and i guess its just plasic of some sort under it. i dont know, it looks green and plasticy)
when i was inspecting my engine after not being able to start it, i noticed a neon green plug without anything in it. if i can snag my friends digi cam i'll post what i'm talking about.
thanks.
Old 10-08-2001, 11:42 AM

ALSO GET A MANUAL

DUDE - The engine in this hot mama is much to boot. even now a days - it was a lil ahead of its time I think..there are so many sensors, fuses everywhere for maximum and optimal performance. many sounds, etc can be heard and its a number of things. A Hayes manual cost maybe 15 max at chief, autozone , etc. hook it up and you can learn a lot in there. again. there are dozens of differnt sensros in the car - etc. I washed my car once - the engine and was so thorough it blew a fuse on top of the tranny.... cost less than a buck for that fuse..but had to pay 60 to get the test done.... after thinking it was so much more than it is... so just get a book - many answers will then come your way. and keep posting here too - even couressy nissan refers me here more than answering my questions. Ha
Old 10-08-2001, 11:58 AM

Re: ALSO GET A MANUAL

DUDE - The engine in this hot mama is much to boot. even now a days - it was a lil ahead of its time I think..there are so many sensors, fuses everywhere for maximum and optimal performance. many sounds, etc can be heard and its a number of things. A Hayes manual cost maybe 15 max at chief, autozone , etc. hook it up and you can learn a lot in there. again. there are dozens of differnt sensros in the car - etc. I washed my car once - the engine and was so thorough it blew a fuse on top of the tranny.... cost less than a buck for that fuse..but had to pay 60 to get the test done.... after thinking it was so much more than it is... so just get a book - many answers will then come your way. and keep posting here too - even couressy nissan refers me here more than answering my questions. Ha
will do when i get paid (wednesday)
Old 10-08-2001, 12:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: WELL

it sounds to me like its a slipping clutch
Old 10-08-2001, 05:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: WELL

Originally posted by spyhunter
it sounds to me like its a slipping clutch
if the clutch were slipping, the engine speed would increase, where car speed would not. in my case, neither is increasing, but after talking to tons of people, i've come to the conclusion that since its not doing anything paranormal at idle, its the tranny. now just need to figure out why its not starting..would a bad TPS cause it not to run?
Old 10-08-2001, 05:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: WELL

well, when i read what you wrote, i completely dismissed it because in my mind it didnt make any sense. well, i've talked to alot of people about it and they all seem to say its the tranny. now, if i can get the car started, i'll be able to bring it to a few shops and see what can be done in the way of a rebuild, how much should it cost me w/o the clutch/pressure plate/throwout bearing?
thanks
Old 10-08-2001, 05:48 PM

dude if you're having the tranny rebuilt, replace the clutch and t/o without question. its a ***** and a half to get off, you might as well do it while its off the car.
Old 10-08-2001, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by spyhunter
dude if you're having the tranny rebuilt, replace the clutch and t/o without question. its a ***** and a half to get off, you might as well do it while its off the car.
oh i am replacing it, just not with stock stuff and since i can get the clutch kit for cheaper than the shop i plan to use can, i'm supplying it.
Old 10-08-2001, 10:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If someone gets this fixed and the problem IS the transmission, let us know how the transmission is doing this/what's wrong. This is weird and I'm really curious. Thanks!
Old 10-09-2001, 06:17 AM

tranny time

Keep an eye out on ebay. there is usually always an auction going for a rebuilt guaranteed tranny for 400. anything under a grand is good..but I've never seen the auction go that high. Then pay someone 150.00 to swap them out - its a day job..but if they want the 1500.00 then they'll do it right nice for you. The reason your car doesn't start now..if you turn key and hear the starter try to start then disreguard...however if you turn the kep and nothing - as if no power...but the batterys fine - then look into the fuse that went out on my car..its on the transmission so you would not need to replace it if you swap out with a new rebuilt one... hope it helps.
Old 10-09-2001, 11:54 AM

Re: tranny time

Keep an eye out on ebay. there is usually always an auction going for a rebuilt guaranteed tranny for 400. anything under a grand is good..but I've never seen the auction go that high. Then pay someone 150.00 to swap them out - its a day job..but if they want the 1500.00 then they'll do it right nice for you. The reason your car doesn't start now..if you turn key and hear the starter try to start then disreguard...however if you turn the kep and nothing - as if no power...but the batterys fine - then look into the fuse that went out on my car..its on the transmission so you would not need to replace it if you swap out with a new rebuilt one... hope it helps.
alright, thanks for the tranny info. as far as the car starting, i turn the key and the start engages. the only thing i did was scrape the sensor side of the TPS plug. that and remove the MAF and its plug, but i didnt do anything with that except unplug, inspect and plug back in.
any help would be appreciated, especially if it doesnt involve replacing the TPS.
thanks
Old 10-09-2001, 10:28 PM

Dude it may be something simple in the tranny to be replaced, without going through the rebuild bulls***. Sounds like to me that she isnt up shifting into third . I can throw up three possibilities without consulting the manuel right know. 1) the revolution sensor (not the speed sensor). 2) the solenoid pack may be going, or could be a bad external ground on the tranny that feeds the solenoid pack. I know mine was bad (real bad) corrosion all over it. The connector I'm talking about is located all the way on the drivers side and all the way in the front corner of the tranny, you need to search that area to find this one because its a little hidden. When I found mine I was cleaning it and then I said F-this and I cut the connector and soldered it right to the tab. 3) Possibly the inhibitor switch, but I dont think its this b/c its more typical for the tranny to fall out of gear when the inhibitor switch is not set correctly, so I'm not sure but I dont think it fits what your describing.

All of these are key components of the tranny that can be replaced without removing the tranny.
Old 10-10-2001, 03:57 AM

Originally posted by eric93SE
Dude it may be something simple in the tranny to be replaced, without going through the rebuild bulls***. Sounds like to me that she isnt up shifting into third . I can throw up three possibilities without consulting the manuel right know. 1) the revolution sensor (not the speed sensor). 2) the solenoid pack may be going, or could be a bad external ground on the tranny that feeds the solenoid pack. I know mine was bad (real bad) corrosion all over it. The connector I'm talking about is located all the way on the drivers side and all the way in the front corner of the tranny, you need to search that area to find this one because its a little hidden. When I found mine I was cleaning it and then I said F-this and I cut the connector and soldered it right to the tab. 3) Possibly the inhibitor switch, but I dont think its this b/c its more typical for the tranny to fall out of gear when the inhibitor switch is not set correctly, so I'm not sure but I dont think it fits what your describing.

All of these are key components of the tranny that can be replaced without removing the tranny.
i dont understand why it would be any of these things, its just hesitating when i let off the clutch in first, then sometimes between 3500rpm and 4000rpm in first and second. i havent really had a chance to see if it did it in third fourth and 5th. occasionally it will buck randomly in 4th gear just cruising at say 35mph.
time for school lata
Old 10-10-2001, 06:19 AM

RPM

READ YOUR RPM'S. WHEN THEY ARE HIGHER THAN NORMAL - ANOTHER CLUE THAT ITS A TRANNY PROBLEM. RATHER IT NEEDS TO BE REBUILT OR SOEM SENSOR IS OUT... MY CAR CUISES AT 70 AND STAYS UNDER 2500 RPMS.... THATS ABOUT NORMAL. BEFORE MINE WENT OUT - GOING 70 AND THE RPM WOULD JUST STAY AT 4000 RPM'S THE WHOLE DRIVE... CHECK IT OUT

(excusse the caps..any problems with them and I hope you can - well - just get over it.)
Old 10-10-2001, 09:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by eric93SE

Ummm, unless I'm mistaken all this gibberish is for automatic transmissions, and not MadMax's manual tranny. Disregard the advice/info as it isn't applicable.
Old 10-10-2001, 01:31 PM

i got it started. its not running good at all but no wierd smoke from the exhaust, but i did hear it coughing through the intake, and it stalled one me twice in the driveway. so i'm guessing its not the tranny. when i gave it some gas, it did exactly what it did when i start moving in first. i ordered a new throttle position sensor today, i'll install it tomorrow right after school.
any ideas for anything else? i put new bosch platinum spark plugs in before i tried starting it. i'm praying for the solution to be very simple.
thanks for all your help this far guys.
Old 10-10-2001, 02:52 PM

Re: regardless..it doesnt matter now

I had that problem last year with my Max...and I thought I was going to need a completely new trans but it turned out it was something connected to the tran or something like that...NOT HALF AS BAD! Trust me. You *might* not need a whole new tranny..could be something small too just thought I'd make you feel a liiiiiittle better..but definitely get it checked out before you break down on a hilly road (like I did, with no shoulder to pull off on to....no fun!)

~Bernadette
Old 10-11-2001, 06:37 AM

well

Thanks for the idea that I am putting fake ideas in his mind. scroll up youll see where I talk about many gizmos and sensors in this model max's engine. Unfortunately it can be the tranny sometimes...even though it is not always. But if you have the car for for an extended amount of time..many years..eventually it will be the tranny...You will not be able to know if the tranny could be it - until you get the car runnning kosher.... good luck to you and yous <max>>
Old 10-11-2001, 08:06 PM

I dont think its the tranny.

If your car has no power under 2500 rpm and power suddenly comes on after wards....then I say it must be the timing belt. If it hasnt been changed before or for a long time change it!

I had a similiar porblem with my auto, no power before 2000 rpm and then bang full power. After changing the timing belt which was totally off it was back to normal. Read my post "Just Changed the Timing Belt!"

Also check simple things such as spark plugs and it could even be a failed injector that might be contributing to the problem.
Old 10-12-2001, 03:22 AM

Originally posted by godspeed
I dont think its the tranny.

If your car has no power under 2500 rpm and power suddenly comes on after wards....then I say it must be the timing belt. If it hasnt been changed before or for a long time change it!

I had a similiar porblem with my auto, no power before 2000 rpm and then bang full power. After changing the timing belt which was totally off it was back to normal. Read my post "Just Changed the Timing Belt!"

Also check simple things such as spark plugs and it could even be a failed injector that might be contributing to the problem.
one thing i can tell you its not, is the timing belt. i dont have one. VE30DE comes with timing chain that is supposed to last the life of the car..but its one of the things i planned to have checked when i had the money. i already changed the spark plugs. also, when i turn the key to "on" without starting the car, i hear a loud bassy tone that i now know is the fuel pump. when the car wouldnt start, i didnt hear this noise. anyway, my intake is completely off and i'll put it back on tomorrow along with a new TPS, fuel filter and K&N. after that i'll try to start it, i'll update then.
thanks again for all the help.