3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by balbes
Hey guys can u help me? When im driving sometimes the car will lose speed abruptly as if someone has hit the brakes... also in neutral when im pushing on the gas the power keeps dropping and going up even tho im keeping the acceleration steady.
auto or manual? and is it a VG (89-91 all, 92-94 GXE) or a VE (92-94 SE)?
Old 04-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Its an 89 automatic GXE i think
Old 04-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Its an 89 automatic GXE i think
are there any busted vacuum lines or loose harness connectors under the hood? and even if they aren't loose, maybe have corrosion inside them? battery cables nice and tight? intake hose clamps nice and tight?

also... how often is it happening? ie every few seconds, every few minutes, once or twice a day, once or twice a week, etc.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nothing seems busted or loose. No corrosion either. Intake hose clamps look good

Sometimes theres a problem during start up but the car starts lurching after I drive for a couple minutes.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:50 PM

Cold air intakes for 89'GXE

Kinda new to this forum but have owned my 89' 4 quite some time and I'm looking for custom fit cold air intakes. My max has about 150 thousand on
her and I believe I have her a stage 0. She's ready for some upgrades/mods
besides your basic full tune ups and I'm starting with intakes, exhaust and
replacing Sonar Suspension II with new struts/springs all round. Anyway I
wanted to know where to find some good cold air intakes, I can see there
very limited for my year. If anyone knows of any I'd really appreciate any
info you could give or any adjustments also that could produce hp, thanks
Shiloh.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by shiloh51933
Kinda new to this forum but have owned my 89' 4 quite some time and I'm looking for custom fit cold air intakes. My max has about 150 thousand on
her and I believe I have her a stage 0. She's ready for some upgrades/mods
besides your basic full tune ups and I'm starting with intakes, exhaust and
replacing Sonar Suspension II with new struts/springs all round. Anyway I
wanted to know where to find some good cold air intakes, I can see there
very limited for my year. If anyone knows of any I'd really appreciate any
info you could give or any adjustments also that could produce hp, thanks
Shiloh.
they don't make any more power at all. it's strictly for sound. all you really gotta do is buy a universal fit cone filter, and a maf adapter, and replace the stock airbox with a cone filter.

if you actually want more power, get a warpspeed ypipe (15hp). if you want to actually be able to use the horsepower you already have, rip out the automatic and replace it with a manual. engine or trim level don't make any difference in terms of doing a 5spd swap, all the bolt holes on the frame are pre-installed from the factory. you just gotta cut one hole for the clutch hydraulics, everything else bolts straight on.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:06 PM

Warpspeed, yeah this is the exact exhaust system I've been researching and
It's good to know that other Maxima Enthusiast recommend this system, good
looking. Presently I have the K&N air filter in factory air box, just wanted to
know if there was any intake mods that might work well with exhaust upgrade.
Yeah I know that manual shifters release the horsepower more effectively but
not lookin' to make that move yet, maybe later. I appreciate the response
and look foward to anymore suggestions you or anyone else might offer, Shiloh.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nothing seems busted or loose. No corrosion either. Intake hose clamps look good

Sometimes theres a problem during start up but the car starts lurching after I drive for a couple minutes.

Need help guys!
Old 04-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I changed the MAF and spark plugs. Even the CTS.... the problem is still there. I cant even drive the car because after driving for a couple minutes the car starts losing speed abruptly as if someone is hitting the brakes. Help is greatly appreciated
Old 04-24-2010, 07:41 PM

I changed the MAF and spark plugs. Even the CTS.... the problem is still there. I cant even drive the car because after driving for a couple minutes the car starts losing speed abruptly as if someone is hitting the brakes. Help is greatly appreciated
Sounds like bad distributor or distributor wiring, try looking into that area.
Atleast from how your explaining the symptoms it sounds like a distributor
problem, check it out and see what happens.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

1989 Nissan Maxima 5 Speed shifting problems

Hi I have a 1989 Nissan Maxima SE and I am having a problem with my 5 Speed
Manual Transmission when I shift gears it gets stuck and makes a little grind mostly going into second gear, Need to mention this though it happens only when i shift quickly when i need to go fast , when i drive slow and fully depress the clutch pedal and wait a couple of seconds before shifting into 2, 3 , 4 ,5 into goes into gear perfect its only when i shift gears fast.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by augnon
The rpms and power drops on my car below 25 MPH and happens at approximately 15MPH during acceleration worse when stopped completely..Sometimes it happens some times it doesn't.This is an automatic.I am leaning towards TPS or Fuel regulator maybe even computer.I've done all the standard maintenance, plugs filters etc.
The car starts fine doesn't stall or anything.

Any thoughts folks?
Old 04-26-2010, 03:05 PM

Simple 2 questions. I own a 1993 Nissan Maxima, SE. ((145 mph white gauges))

[1.] Should I be putting 91 Octane Fuel in my car?

[2.] For Oil Changes and Refilling of Oil, should I be using 5W-30 Synthetic? Because I just put 2 quarts of 10w-30 last week.

For the record if this helps.., my Maxima has 242,000 miles on it. But it still runs really good.

-A_FITZ
Old 04-26-2010, 04:27 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by A_FITZ
Simple 2 questions. I own a 1993 Nissan Maxima, SE. ((145 mph white gauges))

[1.] Should I be putting 91 Octane Fuel in my car?

[2.] For Oil Changes and Refilling of Oil, should I be using 5W-30 Synthetic? Because I just put 2 quarts of 10w-30 last week.

For the record if this helps.., my Maxima has 242,000 miles on it. But it still runs really good.

-A_FITZ
yeah, you have the VE engine in yours, so you should always use premium fuel and i think 5-w30 was the preferred weight for oil..
Old 04-27-2010, 06:42 PM

I figured it was best because it was in my Manuel. Gas today is expensive though.. : (

One other thing. I was thinking of getting this, because it seems simple, because all your replacing maybe is the needle..?

http://www.importcarpartsplus.com/maximagauges.htm

It looks really nice.., I was thinking either the Gold or Blue lighting. For someone who's never taken the dash apart in his life, would it be fairly easy for this one in particular?

-A_FITZ

If it helps, this is what my gauges look like at night.

Last edited by A_FITZ; 04-27-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

I figured it was best because it was in my Manuel. Gas today is expensive though.. : (

One other thing. I was thinking of getting this, because it seems simple, because all your replacing maybe is the needle..?

http://www.importcarpartsplus.com/maximagauges.htm

It looks really nice.., I was thinking either the Gold or Blue lighting. For someone who's never taken the dash apart in his life, would it be fairly easy for this one in particular?

-A_FITZ

If it helps, this is what my gauges look like at night.
if you wanna change the color, changing bulbs (colored LEDs) would be much easier. you run the risk of putting the needles on wonky, resulting in skewed readings, from what I have heard.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:16 AM

Well, id like to do this. Its cheap and only $80.., and it would look nice. I have NOTHING modded to my car .., its all stock and boring. Original Paint..

I want it to look cool and unique atleast SOMEwhat.., like all of these pics I was looking at in "Post your Maxima thread"

Can you guys help me out in picking some stuff out, or what i can do to deck out my car with $500 or less?

Ive never worked on my car really. But if I could get instructions i guess, I would.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:08 AM

Hey guys,

My power locks have never worked. Are they controlled by a relay or just a fuse? I hear a clicking coming from a relay next to my fuse panel when I hit the switch. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:10 AM

Any thoughts folks?
Is the 'stalling' during that speed only or is it present during a certain throttle range? As in, does it only stall when you are resting your foot on the pedal? This is usually a TPS, as it was for me.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by nickdoof
Hey guys,

My power locks have never worked. Are they controlled by a relay or just a fuse? I hear a clicking coming from a relay next to my fuse panel when I hit the switch. Thanks in advance.
might be your door lock timer
Old 04-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

pull spark plug wire, fans come on

Please note what my only question is here, the rest of this is just background. I can, have, and will do my own research on the forum or figure it out myself. Or ask if those don't work.

92 SE, manual trans. 200k+. 5 months ago lost one injector. Replaced it, with reman, 2 months later lost fuel pump, replace it with junkyard. Last week, 2, to 3 months later lost another injector, continued driving it for a couple days till i could work on it. Before I could get to it, it appeared like I lost the JY fuel pump. Same symptoms as last time. Pulled fuel hose, squirts fuel fine. Didn't check pressure. Put hose back on and it started? Once. While it was idling I decided to check again for dead cylinders. It was missing obviously from the one bad injector.

Here is the question. When I pull my spark plug wire to check for missing/low rpm, as soon as I unplug any spark plug, my electric fans turn on. As soon as I plug it back on, the fans go off. Any plug. I know my coils? are cracked and getting worse. Have they finally gone of the deep end and are messing up the electrical system?

Am I just missing other peoples experience with this or does someone have any suggestions? I need to pull the plugs and check for spark. I haven't done that yet. I haven't done much yet cause its rice planting time and I am working about 12 hours a day

Thanks
Old 04-28-2010, 01:00 PM

Is the 'stalling' during that speed only or is it present during a certain throttle range? As in, does it only stall when you are resting your foot on the pedal? This is usually a TPS, as it was for me.
It is not stalling more like losing power from the engine it is only a certain thottle range.I've been doing alot of reading and I found out I had the wrong type of spark plugs in the car.It sounds like a diesel or metal in a can when I accelerated.

I was using the bosch platium and not the NGK platium.I put the ngk in and it like I have a new car.Better MPG acceleration respone etc.I can't beilve it was so simple.Dam Autozone!.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:32 PM

It is not stalling more like losing power from the engine it is only a certain thottle range.I've been doing alot of reading and I found out I had the wrong type of spark plugs in the car.It sounds like a diesel or metal in a can when I accelerated.

I was using the bosch platium and not the NGK platium.I put the ngk in and it like I have a new car.Better MPG acceleration respone etc.I can't beilve it was so simple.Dam Autozone!.
Ahh cool. I always recommend NGKs for a Nissan. Well if you're still having the loss of power problem at a certain throttle range my guess would be the TPS. It may just be out of adjustment but more than likely it needs to be replaced.

I got one for 26$ from rockauto.com and it works great.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
might be your door lock timer
I didn't know I had one... Can it be replaced? Sounds like a dealer part to me, is that so?
Old 04-28-2010, 06:35 PM

I didn't know I had one... Can it be replaced? Sounds like a dealer part to me, is that so?
someone here sells them, James92SE i think it was. i need to get one from him as well, my keypad stopped working as well as my lock buttons inside
Old 04-28-2010, 07:27 PM

Hey guys,

I believe both fuse/relay, from the looks of some of your upgrades I think you
should already know but never hurts to ask . Good luck.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:59 PM
swr

Fuel injector questions 1992 gxe VG30 E

HI everyone , super glad I found this GREAT!! forum months back , I have been waiting to post a question till I had a chance to read as much as I could find in the threads I am on slow dial up so it take alot of time to naviagte searches I have been learning alot from this forum and reading for about 6 months now first post now about time I break the ice as a newbie (LOL) Wanted to thank you for the great forum Maxima.org !!! and tuitorials this one @ G:\NissaN\Nissan Maxima Fuel Injector Change Tutorial.mht on fuel injector installation is my next project !!!!! I used the timing belt change tutorial already a couple a months ago was a big help too!!!!
I have a 1992 gxe sohc 3.0 VG 30 E 136 k miles owned for 8 months recently I have found 2 bad injectors spec out # 5 cyl 40 ohms still firing and # 6 cyl 41 ohms no firing at all all others spec out at 12.5 - 13 ohms within range it seems to run better cold when it warms up gets worse prob because the resistance builds as it heats up, anyways question is how critical is the replacement of having the black dot injectors ??like my originals ??I have on replacing to the 2 new one I will do in # 5 cyl and # 6 cyl I will replace I want to get this done asap and correct as this is my only vehicle to get to work with and my bank account is well ??? LOL need to hit the lotto like many of us would like too , I have used advanced auto ( used to be discount auto ) and auto zone for some other parts I know these are bad words here , but my budget and , convenience of getting the parts the same day or 2 days keeps me sometimes buying there till I can afford better. auto zone they carry sorensens for 98.99 part # 800- 1148n includes o ring no color dot in stock I looked at one of the sorensens and the same harness connector should these be ok ?? offer 1 yr warranty were as bosh is 90 days
they would have to order bosh blue dots for 129.00 90 day warranty so not sure about harness connector is the same, plus getting out of my price range
advanced offers pythons injectors rebuilts for like 64.00 I have read bad things on rebulits here and new for 84.19 no colors dots they need to special order not sure about harness connector on those so will prob stay away from those. Seriously considering the sorensens from auto zone??? and hopefully they give the correct gaskets for the job to be complete same day any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

p/s I have more questions and input on other issues I will post soon I want to thank Matt Blem with control arm/ bushing answers and Brian which I already placed a order with last week for the new front control arms, my Max was running fine till a few days ago , was just waiting on control arm order change out and getting ready for alignment and new tires now this injector issue has become a priority thanks again for any input will try to donate the 20 .00 to become a full member when i am able

Feels good to break the ice and post a question on the forum

Sincerley Scott in central florida
Old 04-28-2010, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by swr
HI everyone , super glad I found this GREAT!! forum months back , I have been waiting to post a question till I had a chance to read as much as I could find in the threads I am on slow dial up so it take alot of time to naviagte searches I have been learning alot from this forum and reading for about 6 months now first post now about time I break the ice as a newbie (LOL) Wanted to thank you for the great forum Maxima.org !!! and tuitorials this one @ G:\NissaN\Nissan Maxima Fuel Injector Change Tutorial.mht on fuel injector installation is my next project !!!!! I used the timing belt change tutorial already a couple a months ago was a big help too!!!!
I have a 1992 gxe sohc 3.0 VG 30 E 136 k miles owned for 8 months recently I have found 2 bad injectors spec out # 5 cyl 40 ohms still firing and # 6 cyl 41 ohms no firing at all all others spec out at 12.5 - 13 ohms within range it seems to run better cold when it warms up gets worse prob because the resistance builds as it heats up, anyways question is how critical is the replacement of having the black dot injectors ??like my originals ??I have on replacing to the 2 new one I will do in # 5 cyl and # 6 cyl I will replace I want to get this done asap and correct as this is my only vehicle to get to work with and my bank account is well ??? LOL need to hit the lotto like many of us would like too , I have used advanced auto ( used to be discount auto ) and auto zone for some other parts I know these are bad words here , but my budget and , convenience of getting the parts the same day or 2 days keeps me sometimes buying there till I can afford better. auto zone they carry sorensens for 98.99 part # 800- 1148n includes o ring no color dot in stock I looked at one of the sorensens and the same harness connector should these be ok ?? offer 1 yr warranty were as bosh is 90 days
they would have to order bosh blue dots for 129.00 90 day warranty so not sure about harness connector is the same, plus getting out of my price range
advanced offers pythons injectors rebuilts for like 64.00 I have read bad things on rebulits here and new for 84.19 no colors dots they need to special order not sure about harness connector on those so will prob stay away from those. Seriously considering the sorensens from auto zone??? and hopefully they give the correct gaskets for the job to be complete same day any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

p/s I have more questions and input on other issues I will post soon I want to thank Matt Blem with control arm/ bushing answers and Brian which I already placed a order with last week for the new front control arms, my Max was running fine till a few days ago , was just waiting on control arm order change out and getting ready for alignment and new tires now this injector issue has become a priority thanks again for any input will try to donate the 20 .00 to become a full member when i am able

Feels good to break the ice and post a question on the forum

Sincerley Scott in central florida
fixed, pls dont post in huge font
Old 04-29-2010, 03:19 AM

Ahh cool. I always recommend NGKs for a Nissan. Well if you're still having the loss of power problem at a certain throttle range my guess would be the TPS. It may just be out of adjustment but more than likely it needs to be replaced.

I got one for 26$ from rockauto.com and it works great.

95% of the problem is gone, it doesn't make sense to me either.The bosch plugs fit my car but when you look at the tips of the bosch and the ngk they are designed completely different.Rock auto is pretty good but I found a better deal on ebay.I got 2 rotors and 4 ceramic brake pads with free shipping for 70$ but I used rockauto for everything else.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:21 AM

someone here sells them, James92SE i think it was. i need to get one from him as well, my keypad stopped working as well as my lock buttons inside
Well im in a 92 SE, I dont have a keypad, just a switch inside next to the window switch. I honestly thought I didn't have power locks until I noticed that switch(originally thought it was window locks) I haven't had this car all that long so I do not know all the ins and outs yet.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:57 PM
swr

fixed, pls dont post in huge font

I appoligize about the huge font on my first post look forward to hearing some input on the questions about buying new injectors

thanks again

Scott
Old 04-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by swr
I appoligize about the huge font on my first post look forward to hearing some input on the questions about buying new injectors

thanks again

Scott
Python sucks. and badly. googling will show how horrible they are. for every car they "work" on.
remans suck less, but still badly, for our cars. They have a tendency to be faulty from the get-go, or quickly after.
used (junk yard) injectors are better, but still questionable
used (from a running car) are better still, depending on who says they were from a running car.
new (Inernetautomar= http://internetautosupply.com/catalog, Courtesy Parts, etc), are best.
I know it's not what you wanted to hear, sorry.

it is highly recommended to use the same dot color as your other ones.
Donation isn't necessary for the Org to survive, anymore, since the current owners took over, but I like having an avatar
Old 04-29-2010, 08:33 PM
swr

Originally Posted by BenStoked
Python sucks. and badly. googling will show how horrible they are. for every car they "work" on.
remans suck less, but still badly, for our cars. They have a tendency to be faulty from the get-go, or quickly after.
used (junk yard) injectors are better, but still questionable
used (from a running car) are better still, depending on who says they were from a running car.
new (Inernetautomar= http://internetautosupply.com/catalog, Courtesy Parts, etc), are best.
I know it's not what you wanted to hear, sorry.

it is highly recommended to use the same dot color as your other ones.
Donation isn't necessary for the Org to survive, anymore, since the current owners took over, but I like having an avatar
Thankyou Ben stoked for your answers , I have been trying to learn as much as i can about my max and now about injectors from the org and internet before replacing the 2 needed injectors , for my motor 92 gxe vg30e I think from what I researched their were 2 types of color dots black and blue for my year and motor ? mine our black . what do the colors represent ? I am assuming diffrent spray patterns ? or diffrent harness connectors ? or both ? just curious , if money were not a critical issue for me now I would be ordering from Brian at internetautosupply were I ordered my front control arms a week ago , I will check out the local junk yard and i just saw rebuilt ones online @fuel injector warehouse they quote a 2 yr 24 k warranty but i have read b4 here rebuilts with our cars dont seem to do well ? seems tempting @ 49.00 each ., those new Sorensens ( made in usa 1 yr warrnaty ) @ the Badzone come with only 1 o ring and insulater but not the lower o ring for the fuel rail , I know I will have to get with the local dealer brian or courtesy ect.. for some o rings and specialty gaskets I e the throttle body outer and inner that the zone does not carry if I find some decent used ones , I cant believe how many aftermarket brands of injectors are out their , a pretty good local mechanic I asked said he thought wells made most of all of the injectors out there and other brands just put their names on them ? Lots to learn for me thanks for all the help just wish money wasnt a issue on which way to go with the injectors sure i am not alone

Thanks again
Old 04-29-2010, 11:09 PM

Someone please answer my question.. thanks.

-A_FITZ
Old 04-29-2010, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by swr
I think from what I researched there were 2 types of color dots black and blue for my year and motor ? mine are black . what do the colors represent ? I am assuming diffrent spray patterns ? or diffrent harness connectors ? or both ? just curious
Just spray pattern, harness connection is the same (for 89-92 Maximas). According to a pic someone took:

Source: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/2

Nissan merged the two blue and black dots into one, so no worry about which injector to pick (unless one owns a 93 or 94).
Old 04-30-2010, 07:59 AM

Someone please answer my question.. thanks.

-A_FITZ
$500 wont really do much, i think it would be best to get a Warpspeed Y pipe and a cold air intake, thats about 20hp. cosmetically, $500 wont get you much, even most bodykits are a few hundred, plus a fair amount to properly paint unless you can do it yourself.

IMO if you want to go fully cosmetic, best thing would be to get some lowering springs for $250 and some used rims for $250ish

Last edited by chrome91; 04-30-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:25 PM

Im guessing a mako paintjob for $200 is pretty ****y?
Old 04-30-2010, 07:29 PM

Im guessing a mako paintjob for $200 is pretty ****y?
with those cheap paint jobs, they just spray straight over your current paint job and it flakes and looks like **** within a year, a good paint job is $2000+. the ONLY way i would trust a cheap paint job is if you do all of the prep yourself and just let them paint, and even then i would be antsy
Old 05-01-2010, 01:39 PM
swr

thanks jbbons25 for the pic of the diffrent color dot injectors , definetly looks like the blue dots have a bigger orifice and larger spray patten have any of you had good luck with bosh ? or the brand "standard" Injectors ? not sure if they come with matching dot spray patterns after looking over their website sounds like they do a pretty good job building them to specs think they said 90 day warranty 3000 miles

thanks again

Scott

p/s maybe I should be posting these injector questions some where else ?
Old 05-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am trying to replace the air filter, and I find it hard to remove. I loosened all 4 clips but it still won't come out. Any instructions with pictures?

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)