3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 01:28 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by coolsun
well it was working perfectly yesterday
and today it isn't.
testing yields answers
yesterday is no indication of tomorrow
Old 04-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

well it was working perfectly yesterday
sometimes stuff fails suddenly. My automatic transmission worked for 162,000 miles. Then it randomly, suddenly, and completely failed as i was merging from I440 to US1. I coasted into the nearest parking lot (luckily i was doing 40mph at the time of the failure) and begun my 5spd swap the next morning.

more recently still, my heat worked... and all the sudden it didn't. I plan to backflush my heatercore to try and unblock it if it's indeed blocked. Otherwise i'll do some more conventional troubleshooting on it.

Basically, with cars, sometimes the only good answer is "shyte happens"
Old 04-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

-Power Steering Pump pulley misaligned-

I recently purchased a 90 Maxima ($500) The steering pump belt was missing, so while replacing it I noticed the Power Steering Pulley does not line up with the other two pulleys,this causes the belt to jump and shred.

It sticks out about a quarter of an inch further than the other two, Has anyone else had this issue? I read a couple of threads from people with the same issue but no resolution, Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

D
Old 04-14-2008, 04:41 PM

Over Drive. Comfort or Sport?

What does the Overdrive setting do?

Does anyone ever use the comfort or sport modes?

I have a '92 GXE.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:54 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by lemans3427
What does the Overdrive setting do?

Does anyone ever use the comfort or sport modes?

I have a '92 GXE.
The overdrive is 4th gear..use it.

The comfort/sport switch is useful for nothing imo.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:57 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by deebee

I recently purchased a 90 Maxima ($500) The steering pump belt was missing, so while replacing it I noticed the Power Steering Pulley does not line up with the other two pulleys,this causes the belt to jump and shred.

It sticks out about a quarter of an inch further than the other two, Has anyone else had this issue? I read a couple of threads from people with the same issue but no resolution, Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

D
Some owner prior to you may have put the an incorrect p/s guide pulley on the car. Hit up your local j-yard for a correct replacement..
Old 04-14-2008, 05:57 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Greeny
The overdrive is 4th gear..use it.

The comfort/sport switch is useful for nothing imo.
SONAR...
Old 04-15-2008, 02:58 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by internetautomar
SONAR...
I was thinking about the transmission switch
Old 04-15-2008, 06:10 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Greeny
I was thinking about the transmission switch
I figured that.
I used my Power/Comfort switch all the time when I had my VEs. mostly left it in comfort though.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:43 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by deebee

Thanks in advance

D
whoa man. if the PS belt is missing then the water pump CANNOT TURN! How long did you drive it like that? That's more concerning than the pulley issue itself. Our cars have 4 belts. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think from inner to outer it's Timing Belt (behind cover), PS/Wpump, Alternator, A/C. So none of them need to line up with each other, but they all need to line up with the crank, of course, and A/C has a tensioner and IIRC the PS has to line up with the water pump pulley.

So were you saying that the PS does not line up with the water pump and the crank?
Old 04-15-2008, 07:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
whoa man. if the PS belt is missing then the water pump CANNOT TURN! How long did you drive it like that? That's more concerning than the pulley issue itself. Our cars have 4 belts. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think from inner to outer it's Timing Belt (behind cover), PS/Wpump, Alternator, A/C. So none of them need to line up with each other, but they all need to line up with the crank, of course, and A/C has a tensioner and IIRC the PS has to line up with the water pump pulley.

So were you saying that the PS does not line up with the water pump and the crank?
Correct, as a result the car was overheating. Like I said I just bought it for 500, So I have no idea on the previous condition,the more I look through it the more things I find, so it's probably been driven that way for awhile.I drove it home that's it, It's sitting in my driveway now.

But on the pulley, basically the power steering pulley is about 1/4 of an inch further towards the passenger side fender than the other pulleys(Crank,Water Pump, and Tensioner) like this

TOP DOWN

-I water pump
-I tensioner
-I crank
I power steering

Last edited by deebee; 04-15-2008 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was hoping the people that were having the same problem as I'm having are still hanging around, so that I could hear their solution to the problem.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:20 PM

does any one know where i can buy a after market Trunk Lid For my Maxima 1993. I hate the reflectors on the back
Old 04-16-2008, 01:34 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by projectviper255
does any one know where i can buy a after market Trunk Lid For my Maxima 1993. I hate the reflectors on the back

It has to be custom dude..there is nothing aftermarket for these cars in the rear light category.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by projectviper255
get some sheet metal, cut and curve to fit, and weld it in place where the reflctor used to go. there's a few people who have done this, such as goon but he's... well... he's an extreme example of basically ANYTHING you can do to a 3rd gen.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:21 AM

I was wondering if you could put 300zx calipers on my 91 SE is that possible?
Old 04-17-2008, 05:37 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by KillaKarebear
I was wondering if you could put 300zx calipers on my 91 SE is that possible?
yes it is possible, but you will need different rotors which will need to be modified.
you will also need non-stock wheels.
BTW what year 300zx are you referring to?
Old 04-17-2008, 02:37 PM

yes it is possible, but you will need different rotors which will need to be modified.
you will also need non-stock wheels.
BTW what year 300zx are you referring to?
you know what i didnt think of that well i would to pick a year with little to no modding(ha ha i wish) done and rotors are easy i i have a brake shop in walking distance of my house. so yea what year would you say i should go with?
Old 04-17-2008, 05:41 PM
sargeantcity

hey im a noobie looking for advice on swaps i have the 93 gxe and i want too swap out the intake manifolds for the ones on the 300zx no idea where to start please help!

Old 04-17-2008, 06:59 PM
mod or sell?

you know what i didnt think of that well i would to pick a year with little to no modding(ha ha i wish) done and rotors are easy i i have a brake shop in walking distance of my house. so yea what year would you say i should go with?
any caliper swap will require some level of modification.
the question is what type of mods.
do you prefer to shave 3mm off the outside diameter of a brake rotor or do you want to buy a bracket that will move the caliper to a point where you can use a stock rotor (from another car)?
Old 04-17-2008, 07:24 PM
sargeantcity

do you prefer to shave 3mm off the outside diameter of a brake rotor or do you want to buy a bracket that will move the caliper to a point where you can use a stock rotor (from another car)?
if a bracket is all u need than thats fine shaving a rotor sounds a lil more complicated

Old 04-17-2008, 07:25 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by sargeantcity
hey im a noobie looking for advice on swaps i have the 93 gxe and i want too swap out the intake manifolds for the ones on the 300zx no idea where to start please help!
what type of intake are you wanting to swap in? is it/will it be a turbo application? in short, what as a whole are you trying to accomplish? i think there were a couple(at least) different ims for the 300zx. and from what i have found, their use (and benefit) would be application specific.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:36 PM
sargeantcity

Originally Posted by benstoked
what type of intake are you wanting to swap in? is it/will it be a turbo application? in short, what as a whole are you trying to accomplish? i think there were a couple(at least) different ims for the 300zx. and from what i have found, their use (and benefit) would be application specific.
im hopin for a twin turbo setup like in 90-96 300zx but i dont thin it can happen ive got the 93 gxe vg30e

Old 04-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey guys i have a quick question what do u guys recommend on intakes? which one gives the best amount of hp and the best sounding one. im looking at some on ebay but im not sure wat to get

thanks for ya help
Old 04-17-2008, 08:26 PM
sargeantcity

dont waste ya money dependin on which max u got there almost worthless for the money better off gettin spacers for the intake manifold throw in a k&n filter and u got all the power your intake need for less than $100

Old 04-18-2008, 06:32 AM

poor gas mile

i have been getting some poor gas mileage
i got about 100 miles on a half a tank of gas
can an o2 sensor affect the gas mileage?
cause it is still stock

it got about 112,000 miles

Last edited by coolsun; 04-18-2008 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:37 AM

well how much is the brackets? and where can i find them at? but getting rotors shaved is cheap but in i can just buy or fab up a brackets y always pay to get the rotors shaved
Old 04-18-2008, 07:04 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

i have been getting some poor gas mileage
i got about 100 miles on a half a tank of gas
can an o2 sensor affect the gas mileage?
cause it is still stock

it got about 112,000 miles
yeah, check your ECU codes. instructions in the general maintenance sticky. basically the Check Engine Light on our cars never really comes on... it just stores an error which the user must go find rather than the car actually TELLING you something is wrong.

on my car i had an o2 sensor error (was getting 15-16mpg) and it turned out one of my wires had broken. so i patched it and it's been getting increasingly good mileage since then. From the start of 2007 to two tanks ago, mileage increased from 16mpg to 29mpg combined. the o2 sensor fix in conjunction with a 5speed swap has seen me higher than 26mpg for the last 2 months since i finished the swap.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:10 AM
mod or sell?

if a bracket is all u need than thats fine shaving a rotor sounds a lil more complicated
well how much is the brackets? and where can i find them at? but getting rotors shaved is cheap but in i can just buy or fab up a brackets y always pay to get the rotors shaved
I don't sell the brackets. I believe Jeff and Matt both do. I know Jeff's kit uses a hub concentric ring for the center as well.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:47 AM

[quote=internetautomar;6360698]I don't sell the brackets. I believe Jeff and Matt both do. I know Jeff's kit uses a hub concentric ring for the center as well.[/quote

I dont know who Jeff and Matt are so of course I dont know how to contact them. If you can help me out that would be great.

thanks to everyone
Old 04-18-2008, 08:04 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

[QUOTE=KillaKarebear;6360830]
I don't sell the brackets. I believe Jeff and Matt both do. I know Jeff's kit uses a hub concentric ring for the center as well.[/quote

I dont know who Jeff and Matt are so of course I dont know how to contact them. If you can help me out that would be great.

thanks to everyone
Jeff = http://forums.maxima.org/member.php?u=114
Matt = http://forums.maxima.org/member.php?u=42
Old 04-18-2008, 08:16 AM

[quote=capedcadaver;6360929]
Thank you guys for all the help
Old 04-18-2008, 09:56 AM
sargeantcity

my official noobie post

restoration done finnally
front axles, front and rear calipers, power steering column, alternator,distributor, flex joint, master cylinder, brake system flush, all belts, sparks and wires, rotors and pads, fuel system tune up, oil, gas, and air performance filters all rust was taken care of note too all 93 gxe's beware the rust on the exhaust studs
waiting for 160000 for tranny flush and new inhibitor switch
now that thats done lets mod:
here's my current shopping list critics and copycats welcome
please tell me if anybody out there is doin somthing similair and can help out i would love some advice on my "longterm" project

engine coolant bypass 16
xetronics headlights 140
xenon hid bulbs 176
red top battery 186
pulstar plugs 150
ground wires 30
swap the rear drum brakes with the rear discs on the se model
ebc slotted rotors and yellow stuff pads 320
koni shocks and eibach pro spring kit 715
warspeed exhaust kit 550
pacesetter armorcoat headers 330
st suspension anti sway bar 320
rear parrallel link kit 375
rear strut tower brace 100
lower tie bar 65
rear sway bar links 45
IPP performance rebuild with piston, gasket, connecting rod and oil pump upgrade 2700
bore 4mm to make it 3.3l
knife edge the crankshaft 300
stage 2 head porting 700
stage 2 camshaft with spring kit
swap rebuilt tranny from 93 se
fidanza flywheel 325
ACT Clutch Kit with Xtreme Pressure Plate and Performance Organic Street Disc
torque converter
300zx manifold swap
greddy t25 turbo
boost cooler 400

still trying too figure out igntion and fuel delivery upgrades

93 gxe vg30e

Last edited by sargeantcity; 04-18-2008 at 09:59 AM.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

my official noobie post

front axles, front and rear calipers, power steering column, alternator,distributor, flex joint, master cylinder, brake system flush, all belts, sparks and wires, rotors and pads, fuel system tune up, oil, gas, and air performance filters all rust was taken care of note too all 93 gxe's beware the rust on the exhaust studs
please tell me if anybody out there is doin somthing similair and can help out i would love some advice on my "longterm" project

engine coolant bypass 16
xetronics headlights 140
xenon hid bulbs 176
red top battery 186
pulstar plugs 150
ground wires 30
warspeed exhaust kit 550
lower tie bar 65
rear sway bar links 45
IPP performance rebuild with piston, gasket, connecting rod and oil pump upgrade 2700
bore 4mm to make it 3.3l
stage 2 head porting 700
fidanza flywheel 325
torque converter
300zx manifold swap
greddy t25 turbo
boost cooler 400

93 gxe vg30e
try not posting in white next time dude.... there's 2 color schemes on the site and half of us use the white/blue one.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:26 AM

Question: My car started shaking at idle and gets worse when I hit the gas.
I changed the plugs, wires and checked the distributor cap. ECU code is 55.
When I unplug either of the center cylinder plug wires (or the electrical connection to the fuel injectors on the same cylinders) the engine runs the same.
Does that mean that those two injectors are bad? Or are they just not getting power to them? What else can I do to narrow down what the problem actually is?
Also, all but one of the old plugs had oil on them... That's can't be good right?

Thanks for any advice!
Old 04-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by fulyngu
Question: My car started shaking at idle and gets worse when I hit the gas.
I changed the plugs, wires and checked the distributor cap. ECU code is 55.
When I unplug either of the center cylinder plug wires (or the electrical connection to the fuel injectors on the same cylinders) the engine runs the same.
Does that mean that those two injectors are bad? Or are they just not getting power to them? What else can I do to narrow down what the problem actually is?
Also, all but one of the old plugs had oil on them... That's can't be good right?

Thanks for any advice!
it's gonna either be bad wires/plugs or the injectors. If the cap is good, wires are good, and spark plugs are good, then test the resistance of the 2 pins on the offending cylinder's injector itself for resistance. I don't remember what it's supposed to be, but most members do. If the resistance is way way off, then it'll cause a misfire on that cylinder.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:10 PM
mod or sell?

my official noobie post[/COLOR]

engine coolant bypass 16
xetronics headlights 140
xenon hid bulbs 176
red top battery 186
pulstar plugs 150
ground wires 30
warspeed exhaust kit 550
lower tie bar 65
rear sway bar links 45
bore 4mm to make it 3.3l
stage 2 head porting 700
fidanza flywheel 325
torque converter
300zx manifold swap
greddy t25 turbo
boost cooler 400

93 gxe vg30e
there, now people can actually read it.

Why in the world do people mess around with fonts,clolors, and sizes when it is not needed.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:14 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
it's gonna either be bad wires/plugs or the injectors. If the cap is good, wires are good, and spark plugs are good, then test the resistance of the 2 pins on the offending cylinder's injector itself for resistance. I don't remember what it's supposed to be, but most members do. If the resistance is way way off, then it'll cause a misfire on that cylinder.
10--14 ohms resistance

I'd swap out for a set of new plugs, oil on them is a bad thing.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

10--14 ohms resistance

I'd swap out for a set of new plugs, oil on them is a bad thing.
i think he already did...

i've had a MAF cause stumbling when i got on the throttle beofre. Not because it was bad, but because i forgot to plug it back in. I hit the gas pedal and it stumbled... pulled a vacuum line and it flat out died.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the info! I will check it out. Can you swap the electrical connectors on the injectors to see if the power is getting to it?
And for that matter... Where does the power come from for those things? (Can you tell I know very little about cars lol)

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)