3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 01:32 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by fulyngu
Thanks for the info! I will check it out. Can you swap the electrical connectors on the injectors to see if the power is getting to it?
And for that matter... Where does the power come from for those things? (Can you tell I know very little about cars lol)
heh, nope can't do that. they fire in sequential order. each injector fires at a different time.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:17 PM

headlight trouble

Hey everyone. I'm having trouble with my R.H. headlight. It will not work on high beam. The L.H. side will.

Here's what I've done so far:

1) checked voltage- 12V high to ground and 12V low to ground
2) 2 new bulbs. no dice.
3) swapped the working L.H. bulb over- no dice.

I have the FSM, and traced the wiring diagram out. I've got the requiste voltage to the bulb connector, but the bulb will not light up on high beam.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Struts and Sway Bar

Hey guys, this is my first time here and my name is Tom. I've been browsing the forums learning as much as I can about the struts. They've been giving me a hard time ever since I got the vehicle (about 3 years ago). I have a '94 Nissan Maxima with 128k miles. The struts would make all kinds of noises, so a friend and I went to Autozone, got the cheap struts (the ones that everyone was complaining about in the 4th gen forums), and installed them. I've had nothing but headaches ever since. I've reinstalled each strut at least once (thank God for lifetime warranty), and have had many, many problems with the struts (continually having to tighten them up, etc.). Whats worse is the noises never really went away.

This is the basic problem: when hitting bumps (slow and highway) it sounds like the struts are rattling back and forth. When I go over speed bumps or the like, I get a very hydraulic sound. I can deal with the hydraulic sound--no biggie, but the constant wobbling sound gets really annoying when going down a bumpy road or cruising on the highway.

I replaced the front passenger strut today and the spring decompressed as I was working on it. Luckily I know enough not to put my face anywhere near the springs, and the strut was laying on the ground (not in the car). So I'm fine and so is my car. Unfortunately, the strut mount crown (top hat, upper strut perch, etc.) is broken, and I have no idea where to find a new one. So that is my first question: Where can I get a new upper strut perch? It's a factory piece of equipment so autozone and the like don't carry it.

My second question is this: What kind of struts would you guys recommend? I don't race, and handling isn't of utmost concern, but I drive approx. 2,000 miles a month, mostly highway, and a quiet, comfortable ride would be nice. It would also be nice to not have to slow to 10 MPH to go over dips, but we can't have it all. I imagine there's not much need to replace the springs as I don't care much about lowering the car. But I would definitely like a nice, quiet ride that is safe and comfortable.

So that's the strut issue. Concerning the sway bar: when I took my car to the mechanic I asked him to look at my strut. They've been degrading like crazy, so I asked him if he would take a quick look to see if there may be any body problems contributing to the excessive wear. He noticed that the C-Clamp (I think that's what it's called) that covers the main bushing on my passenger side isn't even there! I have no idea why not, but I have no clamp actually holding down the bushing or the sway bar. I've looked online, but can't seem to find anything. So this is my third question: Where can I find a c-clamp to hold down the sway bar and bushing? I'd also like to replace the sway bar end links, but all the reading I've done so far on it has been in the 4th gen forum. So, where would I be able to find a sway bar end link/bushings kit for a '94 maxima? I'm pretty confident that I could replace it myself--I just have no idea what I'm looking for.

So those are basically my questions. Thank you for suffering through my long post, and double thank-you for any help you can provide. Thanks guys!
Old 04-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by destroy452
Hey everyone. I'm having trouble with my R.H. headlight. It will not work on high beam. The L.H. side will.

Here's what I've done so far:

1) checked voltage- 12V high to ground and 12V low to ground
2) 2 new bulbs. no dice.
3) swapped the working L.H. bulb over- no dice.

I have the FSM, and traced the wiring diagram out. I've got the requiste voltage to the bulb connector, but the bulb will not light up on high beam.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.
usually the headlight switch causes problems, due to age and lots of use. replace it, and your problem goes away(usually)
(and is it just me or is it almost always the rh light?)
Old 04-18-2008, 09:09 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by tmolloy
Hey guys, this is my first time here and my name is Tom. I've been browsing the forums learning as much as I can about the struts. They've been giving me a hard time ever since I got the vehicle (about 3 years ago). I have a '94 Nissan Maxima with 128k miles. The struts would make all kinds of noises, so a friend and I went to Autozone, got the cheap struts (the ones that everyone was complaining about in the 4th gen forums), and installed them. I've had nothing but headaches ever since. I've reinstalled each strut at least once (thank God for lifetime warranty), and have had many, many problems with the struts (continually having to tighten them up, etc.). Whats worse is the noises never really went away.

This is the basic problem: when hitting bumps (slow and highway) it sounds like the struts are rattling back and forth. When I go over speed bumps or the like, I get a very hydraulic sound. I can deal with the hydraulic sound--no biggie, but the constant wobbling sound gets really annoying when going down a bumpy road or cruising on the highway.

I replaced the front passenger strut today and the spring decompressed as I was working on it. Luckily I know enough not to put my face anywhere near the springs, and the strut was laying on the ground (not in the car). So I'm fine and so is my car. Unfortunately, the strut mount crown (top hat, upper strut perch, etc.) is broken, and I have no idea where to find a new one. So that is my first question: Where can I get a new upper strut perch? It's a factory piece of equipment so autozone and the like don't carry it.

My second question is this: What kind of struts would you guys recommend? I don't race, and handling isn't of utmost concern, but I drive approx. 2,000 miles a month, mostly highway, and a quiet, comfortable ride would be nice. It would also be nice to not have to slow to 10 MPH to go over dips, but we can't have it all. I imagine there's not much need to replace the springs as I don't care much about lowering the car. But I would definitely like a nice, quiet ride that is safe and comfortable.

So that's the strut issue. Concerning the sway bar: when I took my car to the mechanic I asked him to look at my strut. They've been degrading like crazy, so I asked him if he would take a quick look to see if there may be any body problems contributing to the excessive wear. He noticed that the C-Clamp (I think that's what it's called) that covers the main bushing on my passenger side isn't even there! I have no idea why not, but I have no clamp actually holding down the bushing or the sway bar. I've looked online, but can't seem to find anything. So this is my third question: Where can I find a c-clamp to hold down the sway bar and bushing? I'd also like to replace the sway bar end links, but all the reading I've done so far on it has been in the 4th gen forum. So, where would I be able to find a sway bar end link/bushings kit for a '94 maxima? I'm pretty confident that I could replace it myself--I just have no idea what I'm looking for.

So those are basically my questions. Thank you for suffering through my long post, and double thank-you for any help you can provide. Thanks guys!
1.)ebay and courtesy-nissan have em(ebay is cheaper, but...)
2.)for the non-racer, kyb and tokico seem to be the choice(kyb is usually thought of as a stock replacement, but the toks are just a few bucks more)
3.) if the threads are good on the car, the junkyard will have em cheap, if they even charge you for 'em (remember the bolts)
Old 04-19-2008, 01:52 PM

ecu problem

ok i have a VE auto and i want to find out the codes on the ecu
is there a special key or screw to turn it? where can i find it?
then i tried turning it with a screwdriver
and i waited and there was no light that came on
i turned both ways and waited no light...and yes the engine was on
idk whats the problem with it
or is it i need a special key?
thanks alot in advance
Old 04-19-2008, 03:02 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by coolsun
thanks alot in advance
so you see a window w/ 2 LEDs inside and a screw with a cellophane cover on it right? and that's what you've been trying to turn? if so then you should be getting lights to blink. yours is not like mine tho, b/c yours is a 2-mode system, mine is a 5-mode system. But the premise is the same.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

thanks alot in advance
perhaps it may have been because the engine was running? the engine should be off, but the key in the "run" position.
(and cape, i believe they are "3" mode systems, but its just a minor thing(y))
Old 04-19-2008, 03:36 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by benstoked
perhaps it may have been because the engine was running? the engine should be off, but the key in the "run" position.
(and cape, i believe they are "3" mode systems, but its just a minor thing(y))
o ok. Either way i've only got experience with the 5-mode system, so i don't even know how to pull codes off them thar fancy VEs.

on a 5 mode system tho you can do something for checking your AFR with the car on and switching modes, as well as setting idle.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:42 PM

ok i will do it wit the car off now
and then whats the different modes all about
what the modes do?
Old 04-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

ok i will do it wit the car off now
and then whats the different modes all about
what the modes do?
the modes are just what you're doing basically. I dunno what is what on a 2-mode but on the 5-mode it's like this:
  1. normal
  2. rich/lean readout
  3. view codes
  4. erase codes
  5. switch monitoring
Old 04-19-2008, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
the modes are just what you're doing basically. I dunno what is what on a 2-mode but on the 5-mode it's like this:
  1. normal
  2. rich/lean readout
  3. view codes
  4. erase codes
  5. switch monitoring
what is the diagnosis mode on the VE?
how to do it?
its it the same as the VG?
counter clock wise blink then clock wise blink?
Old 04-20-2008, 09:55 AM

Uh wtf? never heard of this.... is it crap?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Super...3756.m20.l1116
Old 04-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by MaxZap
Uh wtf? never heard of this.... is it crap?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Super...3756.m20.l1116
yeah pretty much
Old 04-20-2008, 11:48 AM

Shaking

My 92 GXE shakes alot when in idle does anyone know what the probblem could be and how to fix it?
Old 04-20-2008, 03:47 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

what is the diagnosis mode on the VE?
how to do it?
its it the same as the VG?
counter clock wise blink then clock wise blink?
---->http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...4&postcount=18
Old 04-20-2008, 03:50 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by BruceM99
My 92 GXE shakes alot when in idle does anyone know what the problem could be and how to fix it?
What have you done in the tune up department? plugs?/wires?/ distributor cap?/rotor button?/etc?
Old 04-20-2008, 04:26 PM

i havent done a thing to it. from the day i bought it its has been shaking more then a normal car
Old 04-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by BruceM99
i havent done a thing to it. from the day i bought it its has been shaking more then a normal car
do the normal stuff, as greeny said: plugs, wires, distro-cap and rotor, air filter, oil change(with filter), all vacuum lines.... the list goes on, but these are the "easiest" to do.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

New here

Just bought a 92 gxe. Can anyone here tell me where I can find halos and the grille piece that has no emblem in it?
Old 04-20-2008, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Local361NYC
Just bought a 92 gxe. Can anyone here tell me where I can find halos and the grille piece that has no emblem in it?
I don't know about the halos, but you can remove the symbol from your grille from behind. Its held in by tabs, just be careful the tabs are brittle.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:03 PM

ok i tried the links the autozone one did not work though
i have the one red led one
ok it flashed 3 times slow and then 4 times fast so is that 34?
Old 04-20-2008, 06:23 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

ok i tried the links the autozone one did not work though
i have the one red led one
ok it flashed 3 times slow and then 4 times fast so is that 34?
Yes sir, that be the ve knock sensor code.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Greeny
Yes sir, that be the ve knock sensor code.
do you really have to remove the coolant pipe and fuel rails?
to get to it
Old 04-20-2008, 07:00 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

do you really have to remove the coolant pipe and fuel rails?
to get to it
Unfortunately, yes, all above must be removed to access the k/s.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:18 PM

Unfortunately, yes, all above must be removed to access the k/s.
ok thnaks
Old 04-20-2008, 07:55 PM

Dang! Bummer they don't have one of these threads in the 4th gen forum, but I guess I can ask my question here because it applies to 3rd gen SE's too as they I believe have the same exact knock sensor as the 4th gen VQ30DE.

Anyway, my car needs a new knock sensor, and I have seen quite a few knock sensors on ebay for pretty reasonable price ranges, however there seems to be two different model numbers of knock sensor and both apparently are compatible and OEM for our cars.

I see the OEM A82, or the A100.

The ebay ad for the A100 one claimed that it is an updated sensor from nissan and that dealers charge 170ish or so from it.

I was just wondering, does anyone know the differences between the A82 and the A100?
Old 04-21-2008, 05:56 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by modenaf1
Dang! Bummer they don't have one of these threads in the 4th gen forum, but I guess I can ask my question here because it applies to 3rd gen SE's too as they I believe have the same exact knock sensor as the 4th gen VQ30DE.

Anyway, my car needs a new knock sensor, and I have seen quite a few knock sensors on ebay for pretty reasonable price ranges, however there seems to be two different model numbers of knock sensor and both apparently are compatible and OEM for our cars.

I see the OEM A82, or the A100.

The ebay ad for the A100 one claimed that it is an updated sensor from nissan and that dealers charge 170ish or so from it.

I was just wondering, does anyone know the differences between the A82 and the A100?
They do have one in the 4th gen forum.---> http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=389852

Yes, the VE30DE/VQ30DE knock sensor is the same part.

The best place to get a knock sensor--> http://internetautosupply.com/catalog/
Old 04-21-2008, 08:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi I have a 94 maxima and I am trying to figure out how to program the keyless entry number pad on the doors. The dealer ship wants to charge me like $100 and I can't find any info about it anywere. So if anyone can help it would be greatly apprciated.

Thanks
Old 04-21-2008, 08:39 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by kustomkoncepts
Hi I have a 94 maxima and I am trying to figure out how to program the keyless entry number pad on the doors. The dealer ship wants to charge me like $100 and I can't find any info about it anywere. So if anyone can help it would be greatly apprciated.

Thanks
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/454290/7

Welcome to the org.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:42 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by kustomkoncepts

Thanks
there's a box up under the passenger side foot area that has 3 lines of numbers printed on it. one starts with an S, one with an F,, forget the other. anyhow you take (I THINK?!) the bottom number and press CLEAR then enter that number, wait a second, enter the number you want, and it will beep at you. I'm going off memory here so if it's not right i claim ignorance but that should work.

edit: the jolly green giant beat me
Old 04-21-2008, 09:03 AM

there's a box up under the passenger side foot area that has 3 lines of numbers printed on it. one starts with an S, one with an F,, forget the other. anyhow you take (I THINK?!) the bottom number and press CLEAR then enter that number, wait a second, enter the number you want, and it will beep at you. I'm going off memory here so if it's not right i claim ignorance but that should work.

edit: the jolly green giant beat me

lol yes he did. and ive got to try that myself with my current issue.

it seems that ive made the security system angry aswell.

basically nothing turns on when i turn the key on. brakes dont work ect ect. i replaced the battery. it was working before. i could jump the car off and tons of stuff lit up so im pretty sure its the battery. i checked a bunch of fuses. all the ones i checked = good.

oh, and does anyone have a picture of the under dash gxe fuse diagram cuz mine is gone
Old 04-21-2008, 10:38 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by viperbite
lol yes he did. and ive got to try that myself with my current issue.

it seems that ive made the security system angry aswell.

basically nothing turns on when i turn the key on. brakes dont work ect ect. i replaced the battery. it was working before. i could jump the car off and tons of stuff lit up so im pretty sure its the battery. i checked a bunch of fuses. all the ones i checked = good.

oh, and does anyone have a picture of the under dash gxe fuse diagram cuz mine is gone

See if this will help, it's from 94 se, but most are the same.

BTW, which year maxima do you have?
Old 04-21-2008, 11:03 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Huh?
Old 04-21-2008, 11:58 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Huh?
see, what happened, is that the internet cut out in mid-submit, so half of the filestream reached the server and the rest was lost in the airwaves.

what i was trying to say was that my GXE's fuse locations are quite different. my fuel pump fuse, for example, is midway down the left row.

(i'm using the WiFi from next door and the signal gets crappy from time to time, like when planes are overhead... we're about 1 mile from the airport.)
Old 04-21-2008, 12:04 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

OIC..Thanks..
Old 04-21-2008, 05:23 PM

omg i love you.

thanks so much!

hahaha

says manufactured in 1990 somewhere on the car. then another place says 01/1991 so im asuiming its techincally a jan 1991 car.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by viperbite
omg i love you.

says manufactured in 1990 somewhere on the car. then another place says 01/1991 so im asuiming its techincally a jan 1991 car.
you can check your vin codes to be sure what year it is for sure
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...9&postcount=54
Old 04-21-2008, 06:04 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

this is from a 90 GXE
Old 04-21-2008, 06:58 PM

this is from a 90 GXE

horralyyyy!!! love you too !

lol!

*no homo*

ill rep yall... if mine are worth anything lirl

okay i cant rep anyone... cool

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)