3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by DBooker_93GXE
okay, i'm hoping i can get alot of help here, it looks like i will anyway. But, here's my situation, I have a 93 GXE with 170K, i'll admit it's nothing special right now, but it is my first car. I'm 17 and debating on all of my college plans, but i want to make the max better too. I was wondering if my plans may be too much; (i've already installed new speakers all the way around and a new Alpine head unit, all myself)

-replace head unit with indash GPS (or get a very nice portable kind like Garmin or w/e)
-find some nice 17" or 18" wheels (chrome or silver paint similiar to stock color --not sure)
-two tone leather seat conversion (cream and brown)--the car is pearl--color code is defined as "satin white pearl metallic tricoat clearcoat" incase you were wondering why cream and brown)
-maybe dual exhaust or just a nice (but not retarded looking) chrome tip
-window tint
-maybe some subs like one or two 12s
-a possible digital dash conversion (IF POSSIBLE???)

are these dreams too much considering the age and mileage of my max? should i tone the plans down, add some, take away??...i'm open to all opinions, and reply to this post or PM me, either one is fine

all opinions are appreciated thanks
all this sounds cool, if the cash flow allows. one recommendation, if you want power, i have heard dual exhaust loses power(not 100% sure on this). if you mean dual tip muffler, it'd look good.

yes the digi-dash has been done, and the gauges are a simple swap.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:57 PM
mod or sell?

okay, i'm hoping i can get alot of help here, it looks like i will anyway. But, here's my situation, I have a 93 GXE with 170K, i'll admit it's nothing special right now, but it is my first car. I'm 17 and debating on all of my college plans, but i want to make the max better too. I was wondering if my plans may be too much; (i've already installed new speakers all the way around and a new Alpine head unit, all myself)

-replace head unit with indash GPS (or get a very nice portable kind like Garmin or w/e)
-find some nice 17" or 18" wheels (chrome or silver paint similiar to stock color --not sure)
-two tone leather seat conversion (cream and brown)--the car is pearl--color code is defined as "satin white pearl metallic tricoat clearcoat" incase you were wondering why cream and brown)
-maybe dual exhaust or just a nice (but not retarded looking) chrome tip
-window tint
-maybe some subs like one or two 12s
-a possible digital dash conversion (IF POSSIBLE???)

are these dreams too much considering the age and mileage of my max? should i tone the plans down, add some, take away??...i'm open to all opinions, and reply to this post or PM me, either one is fine

all opinions are appreciated thanks
my advice is to keep the car maintained, and spend your money on your college studies so that you won't have as much to pay back when you are done.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

newby with problems

I recently received a 1993 maxima with the DOHC motor, yesterday I rolled down the front driver side window and know it wont roll up the other windows wont roll down, door locks do not work, seat belts are stuck on the over the shoulder position and the sunroof wont open, all of this happend at the same time, any ideas of what it might be? I have checked the window fuse that is located next to the battery and it looks to be good, any ideas of what it might be?
Old 01-30-2008, 08:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Chupacabra1977
I recently received a 1993 maxima with the DOHC motor, yesterday I rolled down the front driver side window and know it wont roll up the other windows wont roll down, door locks do not work, seat belts are stuck on the over the shoulder position and the sunroof wont open, all of this happend at the same time, any ideas of what it might be? I have checked the window fuse that is located next to the battery and it looks to be good, any ideas of what it might be?
I would check all fuses by actually pulling it out and taking a look, not just the window's fuses. The problem you described sounds more like a fuse problem than anything else. Once you have found the fuse, and it pops again, then I would suspect a short somewhere, and those would be sob to trace. I would also check the relays. Good luck.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:06 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by disgruntled
I would check all fuses by actually pulling it out and taking a look, not just the window's fuses. The problem you described sounds more like a fuse problem than anything else. Once you have found the fuse, and it pops again, then I would suspect a short somewhere, and those would be sob to trace. I would also check the relays. Good luck.
easier way to test fuses is to put a test light to both sides (one at a time) if both sides light the light, the fuse is "good"
Old 01-30-2008, 04:03 PM

CLUTCH ADJUSTMENTS

can any body direct me on how to tighten up my clutch to where i can get a better response on my second shift. or can it be adjusted? the clutch feels good. but when i bang 2nd it just dont grab like it should or like i want it to. i know it is a stock clutch but i should be able to get a little more out of it. or can i ?
Old 01-30-2008, 04:05 PM

REVING KNOCKS

QUESTION? i have a 94 se 3.0 5-speed. bone stock. when i rev the engine to around 6 grand the engine starts fluttering and ticking like it is a lifter tapping. the idle floats up and down almost stalling out and eventually it will go away. its like when you float a lifter in a v8 after over reving it. is this the same thing. if so why is this engine doing so i havent even hit the rev limiter yet. when the engine is right it runs real strong. this thing is clean. no leaks or smoke. could it be a sensor like a throttle position sensor or egr valve not being able to compensate for the action of the engine. and it has a new fuel filter so thats not it.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:06 PM

TIMING ADVANCE

how can i advance my timing. is there a certain way to do it. is there a link i can go to or a thread.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:07 PM

NEW RADIO

yeah its me again. i am needing a factory radio. i have the bose stereo and am in need of a head unit. i am wanting to stay with the stock clarion unit. it has the cd on top and the tape on the bottom. does anybody have one they will sell.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:10 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Thanatos
can any body direct me on how to tighten up my clutch to where i can get a better response on my second shift. or can it be adjusted? the clutch feels good. but when i bang 2nd it just dont grab like it should or like i want it to. i know it is a stock clutch but i should be able to get a little more out of it. or can i ?
The clutch is not adjustable...If your clutch is still slipping when you "bang" into 2nd gear,then it needs to be replaced,it would be in your best interest to stop "banging" any more gears until you get it replaced.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:12 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

how can i advance my timing. is there a certain way to do it. is there a link i can go to or a thread.
use the search function,there is a thread about advancing your timing.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:13 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

yeah its me again. i am needing a factory radio. i have the bose stereo and am in need of a head unit. i am wanting to stay with the stock clarion unit. it has the cd on top and the tape on the bottom. does anybody have one they will sell.
Check the classified section of the forum,some one might have one for sale.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:29 PM

thank you for replying so fast. i am a member of another forum also and am not happy with it. i found this one yesterday and think i like it a whole lot more. there seems to be more third gens owners here on this site.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:38 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

thank you for replying so fast. i am a member of another forum also and am not happy with it. i found this one yesterday and think i like it a whole lot more. there seems to be more third gens owners here on this site.
heh..no problem...Which other maxima forum are you a member at? if you don't mind me asking.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:01 PM
mod or sell?

he's over at nissan forums also.
only people there these days is me, and whatever noob just signed up
Old 01-30-2008, 05:05 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by internetautomar
he's over at nissan forums also.
only people there these days is me, and whatever noob just signed up
Ahh..ic

I cant seem to find my log in p/w from over there..I must have used an old email addy or something.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:27 PM
mod or sell?

must be as I sent you a PM a while back on there for gits & shiggles
Old 01-31-2008, 08:17 AM

Little bit of an issue

Well I own a 90 maxima SE and I live in colorado

every time i warm up the car when it's below freezing out, the cabin smells like gas when i turn on the air? is there a quick fix for this because i park outside and there is about 3 inches of snow on the ground right now
Old 01-31-2008, 09:23 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Uberhass
Well I own a 90 maxima SE and I live in colorado

every time i warm up the car when it's below freezing out, the cabin smells like gas when i turn on the air? is there a quick fix for this because i park outside and there is about 3 inches of snow on the ground right now

One or more of your fuel rail hoses are leaking,this is a very common problem with these old hoses when it is cold out.

-->http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=247836

Click the "PICS" links in post #15
Old 01-31-2008, 09:40 AM

Thanks

Thanks for letting a noob like me know whats wrong, can i leave it like that until summer until I can fix it? or is it going to hurt my milage significantly, it will be cold and snowy until april or should i take it to a mechanic?
Old 01-31-2008, 10:09 AM
mod or sell?

find a garage and fix it ASAP. fuel can be dangerous from a fire and inhaling standpoint.
besides do you want to come to wherever smelling like gas?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks guys I will recheck all the fusses and will post again once i find an answer
Old 01-31-2008, 03:12 PM

yeh it is nissanforums. i started over with a new account a few years ago. i think in 05' under the name (slingn7,500) when i had my old 91 gxe 1.6 sentra. man i miss that car. put a rod through the block at over 8 grand.i put alot of me in that car and learned alot. there just isnt alot of traffic on that site anymore. i have never owned a Maxima before and found this 94' se with a 5-speed and had to have it. they are rare around here. i think i am the only one in and around my town. i am wanting to learn alot about them and really put it down on the v8's around here. i live in a pretty redneck area and actually owned the first tuner car around. when i put a pace setter exuast with a 5" tip on it it was like i was from another planet. i could go to jackson tn.or flourence al. and people would come up to me asking questions. i got out of the game afterwards and started messing with jeeps rockcrawlin and trails. i still have my trail rig but traded my dd for this max.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:13 PM

hey i also have had the gas smell. i am glad it was posted.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:13 PM

QUESTION? i have a 94 se 3.0 5-speed. bone stock. when i rev the engine to around 6 grand the engine starts fluttering and ticking like it is a lifter tapping. the idle floats up and down almost stalling out and eventually it will go away. its like when you float a lifter in a v8 after over reving it. is this the same thing. if so why is this engine doing so i havent even hit the rev limiter yet. when the engine is right it runs real strong. this thing is clean. no leaks or smoke. could it be a sensor like a throttle position sensor or egr valve not being able to compensate for the action of the engine. and it has a new fuel filter so thats not it.
anyone got an answer to this cause i have this problem too???
Old 01-31-2008, 06:31 PM
mod or sell?

as I told him on nissanforums, I believe it is just the rev limiter being hit
Old 01-31-2008, 06:43 PM
hal3214

how hard would it b on a 91

changed clutch slave cylinder on a 91 nissan maxima 3.0 v-6 five speed stick? anyone know? and bout how much it would be?

Old 01-31-2008, 07:13 PM
mod or sell?

depends on where you are labor rates are all over the board depending on location
Old 01-31-2008, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by benstoked
all this sounds cool, if the cash flow allows. one recommendation, if you want power, i have heard dual exhaust loses power(not 100% sure on this). if you mean dual tip muffler, it'd look good.

yes the digi-dash has been done, and the gauges are a simple swap.

simple swap...is it really?? there's nothing else i'd have to replace OR modify in order to for everything to work with the digi-dash? (other sensors, the wiring set-ups, etc.)....just pull my analog dash and simply put the digi dash in and hook it up??...i just want to make sure i dont start it thinking its just nothing to it, and the next thing i know nothing on my dash works lol

and internetautomar, thats part of it too, i'm not sure exactly what i want to do with my college plans, i've been thinking about a CC for a year or two to atleast see if it'd be a fit for me , or simply b/c it'd be ALOT cheaper, that's why i came here to get opinions......you do make alot of sense though, b/c if i go to one of these crazy expensive schools i've been looking at, i doubt i'd do all or any of the stuff i asked about, unless i could get w/e i needed at a decent price and do it myself

Last edited by DBooker_93GXE; 01-31-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:25 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

simple swap...is it really?? there's nothing else i'd have to replace OR modify in order to for everything to work with the digi-dash? (other sensors, the wiring set-ups, etc.)....just pull my analog dash and simply put the digi dash in and hook it up??...i just want to make sure i dont start it thinking its just nothing to it, and the next thing i know nothing on my dash works lol
Have fun..

---> http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=402812
Old 01-31-2008, 07:59 PM
hal3214

depends on where you are labor rates are all over the board depending on location
syracuse ny

Old 01-31-2008, 08:00 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by hal3214
syracuse ny
bendover...
Old 01-31-2008, 08:13 PM
hal3214

Originally Posted by Greeny
bendover...
does the tanny have to come out or is it on firewall or on tranny???

Old 02-01-2008, 01:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

new here, question

i have 1990 auto with no reverse, wondering what to do with it. Someone said change the fluid or add some trans clean ? Its broke about 4hrs from home. Would sure appreciate any feedback. Thanks
Old 02-01-2008, 07:16 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by hal3214
does the tanny have to come out or is it on firewall or on tranny???
he was referring to the price.
your question makes no sense to me though.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

fuses

Thanks guys found the problem, and it was a fuse.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:16 AM
hal3214

he was referring to the price.
your question makes no sense to me though.

yea i no that but i still need to no if it needs to come out or if it on tranny or firewall

Old 02-01-2008, 08:47 AM
mod or sell?

it's on the transmission. the master cylinders are on the firewall.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:59 AM

Spoiler light won't light when i Brake

My rear spoiler light won't light up anymore, I've been pulled over for it (2:06am) and got a warningm, I replaced the 2 bulbs and the fuse, there is no burn marks on the wires and nothing that I can see that would cause it, yet it looks like the red plastic cover melted from the last bulb yet I had the ones that the service manual and the owners manual recomended, how could I fix this?
Old 02-01-2008, 11:21 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Uberhass
My rear spoiler light won't light up anymore, I've been pulled over for it (2:06am) and got a warningm, I replaced the 2 bulbs and the fuse, there is no burn marks on the wires and nothing that I can see that would cause it, yet it looks like the red plastic cover melted from the last bulb yet I had the ones that the service manual and the owners manual recomended, how could I fix this?
Look at the wiring along the hinge for a break.
you will probably need to use a test light to probe the wires to find the break.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)