3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Darned O' unreliable VE's...;-)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 11:13 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Then we can talk about purrty.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:08 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Greeny
Then we can talk about purrty.

don't make me pull pics of my VG now.

VEs and VGs are different animals. there are pros and cons to both motors.
i can admit that the VE is a better engine compared to the VG..but again both have their pros and cons.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:55 AM

Well then under that logic, the space shuttle is just as reliable as Boeing 737. Only difference is a 737 can fly cross country several times in a day opposed to months of downtime between flights to replace everything that broke during its last mission (if it didn't explode all together).

There's way too much emphasis on performance here. Both cars are slow, both are old as hell, only problem is one engine requires extensive work to keep from being an embarrassment when parked at a red light.

So what if I DELETE POSTS that would most likely start arguments? I have better things to do than have to spend my life arguing about some old *** engines, and if I post something that I think is going to make some VE fanboys poop their pants, I delete it so I don't have to write **** like this.

Anyhow, all I said here was the truth, I didn't bash anything. So chill out, smoke a cigarette, ban someone, or do whatever you do to relax. Maybe play around with that die cast model I was nice enough to send you as a bonus.

Look man, we all know your hate for the ve engine(me more than most, from all your deleted posts talking sheit about the ve) but the point pearl and i are making is the ve is just as a reliable engine as the vg, as long as you know how to diagnose and fix it's issues.

BTW, what the hell is the vg so freaking great for anyway?..virtually inaccessible timing belt, which if it breaks will destroy the engine, crappy oem injectors that fail well before a ve injector even gets broke in. , yeah, we all love replacing injectors @ $100 bucks a pop X6..Yet my first injector to go out was at over 300k(btw, the same injector was used in the vq series engine)..here, let me go on some more...75% of the vg's out there are mated to the exclusive vg crapomatic autofailic transmission. We all love to replace/rebuild these @ $1200 bucks a pop, yet the ve auto is good for well over 200k without any problems. Then lets talk about the ve vs.vg from a performance standpoint...yeah, we all know where this will go..

Then we talk about $100+ tune up costs on a vg ( plug wires $50<--if you get the cheap crap/ plugs $20/ Rotor cap $25/button $5-10) Yet the ve just needs plugs.

Filter location? c'mon dude, i am so low i can literally push a aluminum drink can on it's side around with my control arms, yet i have never dented a oil filter.

Don't start no sheit about the ve by comparing it to the vg..
Old 12-12-2008, 07:58 AM
I can has?

Originally Posted by Hectic
What are you talking about man? Everybody realizes that. And yeah, swapping engines, rebuilding or grounding VTCs every 20k miles, replacing knock sensors, coil packs, buying toyota filters and worrying that you might hit a rock and smash that horribly located filter destroying the engine is a lot to worry and think about compared to waiting until it's time to throw another timing belt on the VG.
My engine has had no major maintenance (timing CHAIN, injectors, coil packs, vtc's, etc.) for 160k miles. The only thing I've done maintenance wise is keep up with the oil, replaced spark plugs, and replaced a $25 CTS. I'm lowered on Eibach and denting my oil filter has actually never even crossed my mind, I always thought it was a great place, you can change the oil without jacking the car up which means it drains level, plus it's aiming straight down so all the oil goes into the pan instead of all over the engine. We weren't comparing apples to apples or oranges to oranges, we weren't stating pro's and con's, nothing was even said about the VG. But since you started...

My VG has had more problems than I've ever had with my VE (This is from personal experience - my family has taken care of it since new). Injector after Injector, third transmission, second timing belt, third water pump, an unknown stumbling idle condition when wet, CTS, 2nd oxygen sensor, MAF, ECU, Cap, Rotor, plugs, wires, etc. Just DUMPING money into it trying to get it to run right. I'm not saying VG's aren't a GREAT engine, but they have their own share of gremlins, and talk about ****ty oil filter placement

Old 12-12-2008, 08:07 AM
I can has?

Originally Posted by Hectic
There's way too much emphasis on performance here. Both cars are slow, both are old as hell, only problem is one engine requires extensive work to keep from being an embarrassment when parked at a red light.
Way too much emphasis on performance? What makes you think all of us have enough money to go dump into something "fast"? What if someone can't afford a new car? Get off your high horse. If you're inferring that a timing belt + water pump job isn't equally as labor intensive as replacing VTC's you're mistaken. What does "extensive engine work" consist of?

So what if I DELETE POSTS that would most likely start arguments? I have better things to do than have to spend my life arguing about some old *** engines, and if I post something that I think is going to make some VE fanboys poop their pants, I delete it so I don't have to write **** like this.
It's not about making VE fanboys ****, there are PLENTY of people who PREFER (that's right, a preference) a VG over a VE and vice versa, and they can still manage to say what they want without sounding like a pretentious ***. If you didn't have some kind of complex in the first place you wouldn't have to try and **** people off.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:34 AM
STFU n00b!

Pearl, sounds to me like you're the one getting your Manties in a wad. everyone else is just talking.

and umm yeah. my VG and VE both have been extremely reliable. I put 60k on my VG before I totalled the car and did nothing to it but put oil in it and drive.

I put 70k on my first VE over 6 years before I blew that engine. (spun a bearing and threw a rod at 7000rpm in 4th gear on the race track....).

Since rebuilding another VE 40k miles ago, I've done nothing but put oil in it and drive. and I drive the BEJEEZUS out of that car.

the second VE still has my original injectors, which now have 265,000 miles on them. Only once have I had issues with them and that's from using cheap gas. dumped a bottle of injector cleaner in it and it's been fine ever since.

Both engines are extremely reliable, given proper regular maintenance.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:36 AM
I can has?

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Pearl, sounds to me like you're the one getting your Manties in a wad. everyone else is just talking.
I'm cool, I just don't see the point in coming into a thread to bash/troll. As far as "just saying the truth", the initial post he quoted me on was snobby for no apparent reason other than that Greeny and I liked our VE's.

All it does is make him look bitter and cranky.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm signing this thread
Old 12-13-2008, 02:11 AM

i don care if it is VG or VE...i love both motors so chill out guys....we r not here to diss any of the motors they both have their own ways to come up....

east or the west Maxima is best
Old 12-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Having owned both, I tend to refer to the VG as my workhorse. It was far less quirky as an engine, but the tranny was a ****inabox.
The VE I find requires more attention overall, but it has rewarded me with a driving experience the VG didn't and couldn't.
Whatev. I appreciate(d) them both for different reasons.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:08 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by hadman
Having owned both, I tend to refer to the VG as my workhorse. It was far less quirky as an engine, but the tranny was a ****inabox.
The VE I find requires more attention overall, but it has rewarded me with a driving experience the VG didn't and couldn't.
Whatev. I appreciate(d) them both for different reasons.
Well said But the wifes vg has been "less" of a workhorse, and more of "work on" horse I've had nothing but one issue after another since i bought the pos, i hate it. While the ole ve just keeps on running.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I'm finally just 9,000 away from catching up to Wayne's VE30DE mileage record! I cantz waitz!
Old 05-10-2010, 09:08 AM

Good Luck
Old 05-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
I'm finally just 9,000 away from catching up to Wayne's VE30DE mileage record! I cantz waitz!
how many miles do you have?

It would take me about 5-6 years to go another 9k miles.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
how many miles do you have?

It would take me about 5-6 years to go another 9k miles.
I'm at 331,080-ish, bought the Max with 286,319 back in June 2008. At the rate I'm going, I'll be at about 335k by mid June. Now this is on my 4th gen, my 3rd gen is at 196k
Old 07-02-2010, 12:11 PM

VE or VG just be happy it's not a coolant sloshing GM 3100, or a topend oil starved Chrysler 2.7, not to mention the faggy cars they come in
Old 07-02-2010, 04:37 PM

Took this on 6/24, soo mad that I missed it by 1 mile! I totally forgot about it when I had been keeping an eye on it for days! oh well, you get the point

Old 07-02-2010, 05:56 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

This thing is still going..?

just keeps ticking along like an old ve should..
Old 07-02-2010, 06:07 PM

This thing is still going..?

just keeps ticking along like an old ve should..
Yea the car runs surprisingly well for for the miles. I've addressed all maintenance issues up to date and so far love to drive it everyday

Here's a short video I took after installing my y pipe, some members on the 4th gen section wanted a video to see what it sounded like in real life driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxZrOK_oYWg
Old 07-02-2010, 06:09 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Yea the car runs surprisingly well for for the miles. I've addressed all maintenance issues up to date and so far love to drive it everyday

Here's a short video I took after installing my y pipe, some members on the 4th gen section wanted a video to see what it sounded like in real life driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxZrOK_oYWg
nice but i was referring to this thread still ticking along..
Old 07-02-2010, 06:11 PM

bla! lol, bet that VE would've had about 400k by now if you would've replaced a few bearings in the trans...
Old 07-02-2010, 06:16 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

bla! lol, bet that VE would've had about 400k by now if you would've replaced a few bearings in the trans...
yeah, i'm sure it would still be going now, but i was ready to move on long before the car was...

the truck is more suited to my needs...
Old 07-02-2010, 06:22 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

hectic....
Old 07-02-2010, 07:19 PM

yeah, i'm sure it would still be going now, but i was ready to move on long before the car was...

the truck is more suited to my needs...
What...you ain't got the VE no more? Shouldn't you change your name to Whitey or trucky then .
Old 07-02-2010, 07:22 PM

Old 07-03-2010, 12:26 AM

Alot of VG's that are used and problems showing up is what's up.....I doubt if anyone on here is still driving one (VG) they originally owned from day 1......I'm an owner of a VG that was owned by 1 previous owner and it's been a fun car to drive so far even though it's modded quite alot....I really believe those injectors really did evolve into the bulletproof injector of today due to the VG shortcomings....But buying a new set @ $128 ea will solve most of our issues for a longtime if you're willing too spend that kind of money on a 20 yr old car (mine's a 1990)....
Old 07-03-2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Alot of VG's that are used and problems showing up is what's up.....I doubt if anyone on here is still driving one (VG) they originally owned from day 1......I'm an owner of a VG that was owned by 1 previous owner and it's been a fun car to drive so far even though it's modded quite alot....I really believe those injectors really did evolve into the bulletproof injector of today due to the VG shortcomings....But buying a new set @ $128 ea will solve most of our issues for a longtime if you're willing too spend that kind of money on a 20 yr old car (mine's a 1990)....
I just finished converting a 1990 into a VE currently tightening her up with a few things.

Last edited by Augustus Maximus; 07-04-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Took this on 6/24, soo mad that I missed it by 1 mile! I totally forgot about it when I had been keeping an eye on it for days! oh well, you get the point

[IMG]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c42/ColombianMax/2010-06-24-202311.jpg[//IMG]
4th gen gheyness? :matt93se:
Old 07-03-2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
4th gen gheyness? :matt93se:
Pfff Civic owners definitely :matt93se:
Old 07-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Pfff Civic owners definitely :matt93se:
as soon as i have the z running that POS is g-g-g-g-g-gone!
Old 07-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
as soon as i have the z running that POS is g-g-g-g-g-gone!
OR! h22 swap. stomp the ballz off nearly any NA 3rd/4th gen, maybe all gens.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:09 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by BenStoked
... the car is in shambles mang. more problems than i can possibly list.. some related to the wreck it was in before i bought it, some developed after i got it. But either way, no FWD car is worth the amount of money I'd have to dump into this thing to get it right. At least the Z will have twice as much tq and will hold the road farther than most drivers will be brave enough to push it, so the expense is justified with it. And that's before the engine swap...

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 07-04-2010 at 01:11 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
pff I eatz h22s for breakfast and poop them out by lunch time

and yes I am kidding cuz I dont know what cars come with that
Old 07-05-2010, 02:57 AM

My Maxima: Bought it with 232,000 miles on it.

It now has 243k miles on it..and still going. With that clack or rattle but it still goes.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

pff I eatz h22s for breakfast and poop them out by lunch time

and yes I am kidding cuz I dont know what cars come with that