3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Coming back to life...ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 05:43 PM

Coming back to life...ASAP

As some of you already know my car died last year and has just been sittin in the yard so yesterday I went in to check around and make sure things were still kool and clean come to find out:

PROBLEM 1: I see mold and u can smell mildew but its not too serious yet i dont think it is in tha cracks of the seats I seen a few people use vinegar and water to get rid of it and some even say bleach(the guts is all cloth) so yeah... HOW DO I GET RID OF THAT?

PROBLEM 2: I can either buy a whole car for $500 from a family member that doesnt have the title and the tranny is gone... or I can spend $1400 for a Engine from Blue and Gold for $650 110k miles, and a tranny for $750...I... don't know what to do...My tranny wasnt really messed up but it was acting funny before the car died...

I dont want to sell the car but I think it would be the best thing to do...

OH YEAH! one more thing... How would I remove the seats?
Old 02-02-2010, 06:07 PM

Wow, I could find a working 3rd gen for less than $650.00. I paid less than $650 for a VQ35de with 65k on it. You need to check around dude.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:01 PM

$650 for an engine seems pretty high unless they're installing considering the mileage on it, granted the mileage doesn't concern me since I have 235,000 on mine but many people on the forum have paid alot less for an engine. Is your car a vg or a ve, if it's a vg and that's a used transmission I wouldn't do it, they don't have the best reputation and you never know what you get used.

Overall I think you can do better than both offers, I got my parts car for $250 with a good engine and transmission but a totaled front end. I guess the decision really depends on what's available around you (junkyards and such) and if you have the tools and skill to swap stuff yourself.

As for the seats they come out really easily, the front seats have two bolts below the seat in the front and two bolts below the seat in the back, just follow the rails the seat rests on and you'll find them (the back bolts may be under some plastic trim). For the back seat, there are two bolts that hold the bottom cushion down, they're at the bottom front corner on each side, undo them, lift the front of the seat and pull it out. The back cushion has a bolt at each of the bottom corners, and a couple bolts behind the fold out arm cushion. After these are out you have to push the seat back straight up and the retainer clips should pop out of the tray behind the seat. It might be hard to get the clips to pop out, I've always had better luck with a person on each side of the seat pushing up rather than trying it myself.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

back seat bottoms don't have bolts (not that I have ever seen).
aside from that, it is less than an hour job your first time.
I recommend a long pry bar to get the clips for the bottom cushion. put the pry bar as far in as it'll go, slide it as close to the clip as you can, grab the pry bar by the seat, pull up (functions more as a handle, than to pry).
Old 02-02-2010, 09:48 PM

as everyone said seats are easy to remove, driver and passenger have 4 bolts (rears you need to pry off the plastic cover), rear bottom cushion give a firm tug under the cushion part where you can feel some clips (mine took a sudden tug, and i ended up hitting my head on the roof hard from it ), and rear back cushion apparently screws off. the screws are visible once you take off the bottom cushion and you just take out the screws to get it off
Old 02-03-2010, 12:27 AM

This thread needs a soundtrack.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Augustus Maximus
Wow, I could find a working 3rd gen for less than $650.00. I paid less than $650 for a VQ35de with 65k on it. You need to check around dude.
Its not that many places around here... im in the country... on the coast of SC but thanks for the advice... and the engine has 110k mines on it my car dide at 260k
Old 02-03-2010, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by gfnk357
$650 for an engine seems pretty high unless they're installing considering the mileage on it, granted the mileage doesn't concern me since I have 235,000 on mine but many people on the forum have paid alot less for an engine. Is your car a vg or a ve, if it's a vg and that's a used transmission I wouldn't do it, they don't have the best reputation and you never know what you get used.

Overall I think you can do better than both offers, I got my parts car for $250 with a good engine and transmission but a totaled front end. I guess the decision really depends on what's available around you (junkyards and such) and if you have the tools and skill to swap stuff yourself.

As for the seats they come out really easily, the front seats have two bolts below the seat in the front and two bolts below the seat in the back, just follow the rails the seat rests on and you'll find them (the back bolts may be under some plastic trim). For the back seat, there are two bolts that hold the bottom cushion down, they're at the bottom front corner on each side, undo them, lift the front of the seat and pull it out. The back cushion has a bolt at each of the bottom corners, and a couple bolts behind the fold out arm cushion. After these are out you have to push the seat back straight up and the retainer clips should pop out of the tray behind the seat. It might be hard to get the clips to pop out, I've always had better luck with a person on each side of the seat pushing up rather than trying it myself.

Its a 92 GXE VE died @ 260k and im ready to get it back on the road ASAP the engine that's for $650 has 110k miles on it... and yeah the tranny would be used too but mine wasn't really messed up just first gear was kinda off took a while to shift but it did...

Im not worried about having it installed my dad is a mechanic so that's not and issue...all tha tools are there...

thanks for the advice..
Old 02-03-2010, 06:06 AM

I have been having a fair amount of luck finding engines/trannies looking around on craigslist, you may as well............. You can get one with lower miles off ebay for a bit less, but there are much better deals from locals, surely.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by ve30max
I have been having a fair amount of luck finding engines/trannies looking around on craigslist, you may as well............. You can get one with lower miles off ebay for a bit less, but there are much better deals from locals, surely.
Thanks man... Its just I really need to get it back on tha road ASAP I could buy one off ebay U dont know if they run on not so i dont really trust it.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:40 PM

Most of them off ebay have somewhat of a guarantee IIRC. Even still, your best bet is from a yard or local who doesn't mind parting the car out.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:21 AM

Most of them off ebay have somewhat of a guarantee IIRC. Even still, your best bet is from a yard or local who doesn't mind parting the car out.
Well that was the only local place i found and it was 110k for $650(engine only) my aunt has one that she will sell to me for $500 the whole car(tranny is done for) but the engine works(lost title) body is perfect engine is real clean i think it has 164k on it...mine died at 260k i seen one in the junkyard today that died at 310k... and i also looked on ebay and really found nothing that was just a motor they do have a 92 Gxe for $2900 only 98k on it but why pay that much.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:37 AM

You might try car-part.com. There are some on ebay, but your saying you don't need it fully built?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/89-90...Q5fAccessories
Old 02-04-2010, 01:53 PM

I tried looking on car part also when I was searching for a tranny for my 93 VG. they do have some good deals but its the shipping that bothered me. Most places there will only ship to a business address or commercial address, Not a home address! I wanted them to ship my tranny to my house, and they couldnt at the yards I spoke on the phone with. Thas one reason it took me a while to get my car back on the road!
Old 02-04-2010, 07:45 PM

i see a good bit of them that are located i even saw one that said 148 miles on it i think unless that suppose to be 148k but i see one that has 63k for $350sounds like tha one i should go for...
Old 02-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by maxinout93
I tried looking on car part also when I was searching for a tranny for my 93 VG. they do have some good deals but its the shipping that bothered me. Most places there will only ship to a business address or commercial address, Not a home address! I wanted them to ship my tranny to my house, and they couldnt at the yards I spoke on the phone with. Thas one reason it took me a while to get my car back on the road!
you may ask your local ups/usps/fedex/etc. if they have a PO "box" to send to a dock. explain the situation, and most will work with you, including options to pick up at the local hub station (typically for a fee, of course).
Old 02-05-2010, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
you may ask your local ups/usps/fedex/etc. if they have a PO "box" to send to a dock. explain the situation, and most will work with you, including options to pick up at the local hub station (typically for a fee, of course).

Thanks for the advice BenStoked! I kinda figured it was a way to get around it because I dont really trust getting a tranny for a VG Maxima shipped to a shop around here where I live. There are lots of people who have 3rd generation maximas here! The next time my tranny dies I will do what you said! That way I can get one with much lower miles.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Infam0usMax
Well that was the only local place i found and it was 110k for $650(engine only) my aunt has one that she will sell to me for $500 the whole car(tranny is done for) but the engine works(lost title) body is perfect engine is real clean i think it has 164k on it...mine died at 260k i seen one in the junkyard today that died at 310k... and i also looked on ebay and really found nothing that was just a motor they do have a 92 Gxe for $2900 only 98k on it but why pay that much.
If you live in Charleston and dont mind driving to Columbia, SC they have lots of engines at the local pull a part up here for a pretty small fee I believe. Most of the VG cars at the pull a part are there because of transmission issues. Or you could check at a Junkyard In Orangeburg, SC called C N R junk yard. I know they most likely have a VG engine.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:26 PM

If you live in Charleston and dont mind driving to Columbia, SC they have lots of engines at the local pull a part up here for a pretty small fee I believe. Most of the VG cars at the pull a part are there because of transmission issues. Or you could check at a Junkyard In Orangeburg, SC called C N R junk yard. I know they most likely have a VG engine.
Thats whats up... Do they have a website or anything? Some of my fam lives up there...and I have a lot of classmates thats at state. So if u could give me a number or something that would help a lot
Old 02-06-2010, 04:04 AM
98 SE

Have you tried Don's Car Crushing & Pick-A-Part @ 310 Royle Rd. in Ladson? Parts/Sales ph. # is 843-992-4476. I get alot of used parts there, but they are crushing some of the older Maximas.

Right next door to them is Auto Salvage Company @ 230 Royle Road. Ph . # is 843-821-1989. My experience is that they are more expensive for parts, but more than likely to have a running VG or VE engine.

Good luck.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:10 AM

Oh, I knew it was Pink Floyd...lol
Old 02-14-2010, 12:55 AM

Just found an engine for 350 and i also found some G35's for 350
Old 02-16-2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by 93SCMax
Have you tried Don's Car Crushing & Pick-A-Part @ 310 Royle Rd. in Ladson? Parts/Sales ph. # is 843-992-4476. I get alot of used parts there, but they are crushing some of the older Maximas.

Right next door to them is Auto Salvage Company @ 230 Royle Road. Ph . # is 843-821-1989. My experience is that they are more expensive for parts, but more than likely to have a running VG or VE engine.

Good luck.
Just got a deal for this guy to put my engine and tranny in all for $1900 but I dont know I also just bought some G35 Wheels and tires
Old 02-16-2010, 05:21 PM

Dang, that is steep, I wish i were closer to ya I would help you for free!
Old 02-16-2010, 05:26 PM

Dang, that is steep, I wish i were closer to ya I would help you for free!
I sure could use the help but if I cant use the g35s im going to sell them for 550-700 with tires. but im going to try and take a lot of pix and try to help the guy do it so ill know what it what if something goes wrong.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:44 PM

JUst got my engine today 137k on it hopefully it will last longer if not as long as the other one *will post pix soon*
Old 03-07-2010, 12:08 AM

PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-07-2010, 12:12 AM

Old 03-07-2010, 12:14 AM

Old 03-07-2010, 12:16 AM

Just waiting to full in the hole... with this...

Old 03-07-2010, 01:02 AM

Do you mine fill in the hole with this? What was wrong with the old engine? Overheated or locked up?
Old 03-08-2010, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Do you mine fill in the hole with this? What was wrong with the old engine? Overheated or locked up?
Sup? Well I really don't know what happened to that thing I wrote up a thread on it once and got rid of it but It was a cold morning and I was on my way to school got about a mile from the house and something felt all messed up and i left something so i had to turn back around... anyways i cut the car off and ran in the house came back out tried to start it and a big cloud of blue smoke came out the tail. then it started but ran really hard and something popped then steam came out popped the hood and oil and antifreeze was on the ground mixed the guy fixing it said something about a blown head I really dont know but it died on a full tank and @ 260k miles the new one has 137k
Old 03-18-2010, 09:55 PM

sup guys... I have my car back got it back tonight but its kinda skipping and i dont know where its coming from
Old 03-21-2010, 11:05 AM

IM BACK AND RIDEn' better then ever...
Old 03-21-2010, 11:37 AM

IM BACK AND RIDEn' better then ever...
Glad you got your car back on the road, I cant wait to get mine bak on the road. Did you find your engine in the area or did you have to get it shipped? Im asking because Im back again having trouble with getting my transmission shipped. To make a long story short, My car was in the shop for over a month just to find out the tranny that was installed was bad, so I have the car home now, the guy gave me my money back, and im searching on car parts and I find a tranny for $250. Its $420 shipped with 110,000 miles. Sounds like a great deal until I call and one person says it will come to your door, and the next person says it has to go to a commercial address or a business. I know of 2 that i can ship it to, but I dont want to have the car sitting there because it has to be towed, and then they will charge me $250 for the work, and I already have most of it torn down already the only thing thats left is to disconnect the mounts and the torque converter and put it on a tranny jack. So im kinda stuck.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:46 AM

What did you do with the old engine?
Old 03-22-2010, 04:20 PM

Glad you got your car back on the road, I cant wait to get mine bak on the road. Did you find your engine in the area or did you have to get it shipped? Im asking because Im back again having trouble with getting my transmission shipped. To make a long story short, My car was in the shop for over a month just to find out the tranny that was installed was bad, so I have the car home now, the guy gave me my money back, and im searching on car parts and I find a tranny for $250. Its $420 shipped with 110,000 miles. Sounds like a great deal until I call and one person says it will come to your door, and the next person says it has to go to a commercial address or a business. I know of 2 that i can ship it to, but I dont want to have the car sitting there because it has to be towed, and then they will charge me $250 for the work, and I already have most of it torn down already the only thing thats left is to disconnect the mounts and the torque converter and put it on a tranny jack. So im kinda stuck.
YEAH....! lol I got my baby back... I had this guys that works in Advance to order it for me from Savannah, GA it has 137k miles for $640 I bought new plugs and wires and some other stuff didnt bother putting the factory stubs back in I have some grade A bolts in the mani...studs break to easy...I didnt need a tranny again but they guy told me if i did get one that he would install it for FREE...Well the first person that said it would come to your door lied... which is why the guy that works at advance got it shipped to their store... The guy had my car for about two weeks and i went by everyday to help out a little but i spent $1500 500 for him towing and labor and 1000- engine, mounts, studs, gaskets ect. the car wasnt worth that much money lol but now it is... so yeah tryin finding the best deals and someone with a pick up truck to pick it up for u...
Old 03-22-2010, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
What did you do with the old engine?
it should still be at that guys house im not sure... i thought about taking it to tha scrap yard it had 260k miles on it.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:29 PM

wish you were closer to Texas I would come take it off you hands...That's a well heat treated block.....
Old 03-22-2010, 11:49 PM

YEAH....! lol I got my baby back... I had this guys that works in Advance to order it for me from Savannah, GA it has 137k miles for $640 I bought new plugs and wires and some other stuff didnt bother putting the factory stubs back in I have some grade A bolts in the mani...studs break to easy...I didnt need a tranny again but they guy told me if i did get one that he would install it for FREE...Well the first person that said it would come to your door lied... which is why the guy that works at advance got it shipped to their store... The guy had my car for about two weeks and i went by everyday to help out a little but i spent $1500 500 for him towing and labor and 1000- engine, mounts, studs, gaskets ect. the car wasnt worth that much money lol but now it is... so yeah tryin finding the best deals and someone with a pick up truck to pick it up for u...

Well I figured out what I was going to do. I found a decent shop to get the transmission delivered to. Im most likely going to do it first thing in the morning. Ive got 225,000 miles on my engine but its still good just have to replace the tranny and my baby will come back to life.