4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How to properly tighten belt on my 97.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 09:38 AM

How to properly tighten belt on my 97.

I got a new belt and idler pulley put on (all under warranty at my uncles suggestions after he looked the car over a bit - he's a mechanic) and it now squeals just a bit when first starting. I believe the belt just needs to be tightened but I'm not sure quite how to do this. It seems that either way I turn the little bolt in there it doesn't do any good...I can't tell if it's reverse threaded or not. Anyway, a little help please

I just don't have the time to take it back and yell at them for not putting it on right :P
Old 10-03-2002, 10:53 AM

Re: How to properly tighten belt on my 97.

Does the belt feel loose when you pull in it? It should have some give. Go to Wal-Mart and get a can of "belt ease" for $2.97. That should fix it. It prolly squeels because it is new.

Originally posted by OdiN1701
I got a new belt and idler pulley put on (all under warranty at my uncles suggestions after he looked the car over a bit - he's a mechanic) and it now squeals just a bit when first starting. I believe the belt just needs to be tightened but I'm not sure quite how to do this. It seems that either way I turn the little bolt in there it doesn't do any good...I can't tell if it's reverse threaded or not. Anyway, a little help please

I just don't have the time to take it back and yell at them for not putting it on right :P
Old 10-03-2002, 11:00 AM
RodolfoGraziani

be careful

take your front right tire out.

jack the car up

take the side guard out

loosen the idler pulley

adjust it from top, there is a hexagonal bolt...but be careful not to put in too much power, Nissan adjuster is a piece of cr*p

and put ever'thing back
that's what i did.
hope this helps

Old 10-03-2002, 05:11 PM

Re: be careful

Originally posted by RodolfoGraziani
take your front right tire out.

jack the car up

take the side guard out

loosen the idler pulley

adjust it from top, there is a hexagonal bolt...but be careful not to put in too much power, Nissan adjuster is a piece of cr*p

and put ever'thing back
that's what i did.
hope this helps

Hrm...I thought you could use that bolt up top to adjust the tension without having to take anything off. And...might want to jack the car up before trying to take the tire out eh :P (at least after you've loosened the lugs)
Old 10-03-2002, 05:23 PM

Mine squealed when I first put it on too. It would only when first started or sometimes when I turned the AC on. All I did was went back and kept tightening it little by little and starting the car to see if it went away. The squeal kept getting shorter and shorter till I got it with none.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by Sorgasm
Mine squealed when I first put it on too. It would only when first started or sometimes when I turned the AC on. All I did was went back and kept tightening it little by little and starting the car to see if it went away. The squeal kept getting shorter and shorter till I got it with none.
Mine is the same way but with an added twist. It will only squeal after it's been sitting for a few hours, like the longer it sits the longer the squeal lasts (so in the morning it's like 5 seconds or so whereas if I'm starting it mid-day after driving to work it's just a quick 1 second thing).

The whole problem is that I can't tell which way is tightening the belt on the adjuster. Is it clockwise? Doesn't seem to be putting more pressure on...but counterclockwise makes the adjuster thing get loose but not the pulley??? Basically it doesn't make sense...and whoever said that the design sucks I agree hehe.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by OdiN1701

Mine is the same way but with an added twist. It will only squeal after it's been sitting for a few hours, like the longer it sits the longer the squeal lasts (so in the morning it's like 5 seconds or so whereas if I'm starting it mid-day after driving to work it's just a quick 1 second thing).

The whole problem is that I can't tell which way is tightening the belt on the adjuster. Is it clockwise? Doesn't seem to be putting more pressure on...but counterclockwise makes the adjuster thing get loose but not the pulley??? Basically it doesn't make sense...and whoever said that the design sucks I agree hehe.
I'm pretty sure it was clockwise, but I really can't remember for sure. The reason I didn't tighten it all the way the first time was because mine was making a horrible noise like it was breaking even after I sprayed some lube on it. And yeah, mine was the same way, longer when it had been sitting.