4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Latest And Final Update On Totaled Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 07:21 AM
Sports Button FTW

Latest And Final Update On Totaled Maxima

ok, money is set and they have decided not to give me more than i asked for which i guess i have no choice to be ok with. Only thing now is deciding to keep the car or not.

First they wanted 1500 for it but after annoying them and telling them i need to take tranny out since they not paying me enough for it, they said they'll let me keep car for 1250 ( i told them we'll take it for 1,000 and they said they'll meet me halfway). My pop's wants to keep the car and see if he can fix it. His company owns a car shop where they can change doors, back area and do whatever, PLUS they can hopefully change car from stick BACK to auto. This way i can take my trans out and save to sell or keep just in case my new car trans dies on me.

QUESTION 1: Is it worth it to keep car for 1250? This will allow me to get money MUCH faster and also he won't be paying out the pocket that much since its from company and he plans to give car to my younger brother if its fixed right.

QUESTION 2: WHERE CAN I GET A WRITE UP ON HOW TO CHANGE MANUAL BACK TO AUTO? Is it as easy as just plugging everything back? when doing conversion, is anything cut or damaged so 5 speed would work? I WANT MY TRANNY OUT DAMMIT!

thank u all for final input on the future of my first love....mrs. maximaand
Old 10-10-2002, 07:50 AM
Sports Button FTW

ahem
Old 10-10-2002, 08:47 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by meccanoble
ahem
IDK about your real q's, but what did they finally give you FOR it?
Old 10-10-2002, 08:58 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by phenryiv1

IDK about your real q's, but what did they finally give you FOR it?
can't say yet , gotta buy this car first and then i'll let u all know or hit me up on PM and i'll tell u. Lets just say i'm happier....
Old 10-10-2002, 09:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ok, on Question no 1,
I have been following your story as it unfolds and I have to say, that you should keep it, if and only if it doesnt keep you from getting your new ride. Remember that is priority no 1!!!
With that said, if your dad owns a shop and can possibly repair it, or just by the simple fact that it appears that you could atleast part it out yourself and break even on the deal, I say keep it for $1250. Just dont fix it and sell it with out telling the next guy that it was wrecked, I HATE when people try to do that to me, I can tell when almost any car has had bodywork done, and these people think we are stupid, and just dont know, like the common person!

OK, now that I got that out. I dont know about question no 2, I made sure to buy 5spd the first time.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:10 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by way2fast95
Ok, on Question no 1,
I have been following your story as it unfolds and I have to say, that you should keep it, if and only if it doesnt keep you from getting your new ride. Remember that is priority no 1!!!
With that said, if your dad owns a shop and can possibly repair it, or just by the simple fact that it appears that you could atleast part it out yourself and break even on the deal, I say keep it for $1250. Just dont fix it and sell it with out telling the next guy that it was wrecked, I HATE when people try to do that to me, I can tell when almost any car has had bodywork done, and these people think we are stupid, and just dont know, like the common person!

OK, now that I got that out. I dont know about question no 2, I made sure to buy 5spd the first time.

Hope this helps, good luck.
thanks for the advice bro. And no we were not gooing to sell it if it was fixed, just going to give it to my younger brother who's in college with me so he can get from place to place easier.

As far as the 2nd question is concerned, through a little research i think the only thing changed between auto and manual are that there are hoses to the radiator for cooling (manual has a hole in tranny top used to cool tranny) and like 1 or 2 more hoses to the shifter and a couple plugs that are disconnected for manuals since they don't run on a computer type thing. but doesn't seem to be hard at all, just need instructions...thanks all for advice and recommendations

if anyone has MORE INFO on 5speed to auto, please let me know in here
Old 10-10-2002, 11:39 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Except for possibly the shifter cable, nothing should have been cut. There is NO manual tranny cooler, and NO lines from the radiator hook up to the tranny. You should be able to reconnect any wires, as long as you didn't cut the harness or splice them, and reconnect the tranny cooler on the auto, change out the motor mount, and be good to go...
Old 10-10-2002, 11:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The easiest thing to do is swap out on teh spot for someone who wants a 5 speed swap...that would get you ala the parts you need for the auto and HABU for the 5 spd swap ... won't take too much time to do if you have both cars together and some experienced wrencher...too bad I am not closer...
Old 10-10-2002, 12:23 PM

thanks for the advice bro. And no we were not gooing to sell it if it was fixed, just going to give it to my younger brother who's in college with me so he can get from place to place easier.

As far as the 2nd question is concerned, through a little research i think the only thing changed between auto and manual are that there are hoses to the radiator for cooling (manual has a hole in tranny top used to cool tranny) and like 1 or 2 more hoses to the shifter and a couple plugs that are disconnected for manuals since they don't run on a computer type thing. but doesn't seem to be hard at all, just need instructions...thanks all for advice and recommendations

if anyone has MORE INFO on 5speed to auto, please let me know in here
how much did they want to give you?
Old 10-10-2002, 03:23 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

i might have missed something here, but why do you want to keep the tranny?
Old 10-10-2002, 11:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by nismo2020
i might have missed something here, but why do you want to keep the tranny?
Good question. Why not give your bro the car w/5spd, and get yourself a 5spd?
Old 10-11-2002, 06:06 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by sryth

Good question. Why not give your bro the car w/5spd, and get yourself a 5spd?
My guess is b/c he can sell the barely-used 5-speed for more than the auto that he has sitting around.
Old 10-11-2002, 10:20 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

is it a brand new/low mlie tranny?

thats a lot of trouble for some extra pennies.

he must not be walking.
Old 10-11-2002, 10:26 AM
Sports Button FTW

wow, a lot of responses

ok, pop's had someone look at car and damages were a little mroe than we had hoped for so once again we are going to let car go unless they give us like 500 for it which we doubt.

WHY DO I WANT TO KEEP TRANNY?

ok, i have a tranny with 54,000 miles and a brand new ACT clutch in that beech that JUST got broken into. I am still paying for conversion as we speak and why should i give up that tranny to them? first, i can easily sell that combination for around 1,000 dollars. Second and most importantly, whatever 5 speed 4th gen i get next won't have close to the mileage on this tranny so even if i don't find someone to buy this tranny IF they let me take it out, I can save it just in case mine goes bad.

I also have all the parts from auto. I did conversion and haven't sold anything, not even the ECU. SPEAKING OF WHICH IF ANYONE WITH A 95 MAXIMA DID A CONVERSION AND WANTS THEIR ENGINE LIGHT TO GO AWAY YOU CAN COME TAKE MY ECU, i put in a new one to get rid of light.

Now i'm going to call these a holes to see if they'll let me take out tranny....
Old 10-11-2002, 02:28 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

wow, a lot of responses

ok, pop's had someone look at car and damages were a little mroe than we had hoped for so once again we are going to let car go unless they give us like 500 for it which we doubt.

WHY DO I WANT TO KEEP TRANNY?

ok, i have a tranny with 54,000 miles and a brand new ACT clutch in that beech that JUST got broken into. I am still paying for conversion as we speak and why should i give up that tranny to them? first, i can easily sell that combination for around 1,000 dollars. Second and most importantly, whatever 5 speed 4th gen i get next won't have close to the mileage on this tranny so even if i don't find someone to buy this tranny IF they let me take it out, I can save it just in case mine goes bad.

I also have all the parts from auto. I did conversion and haven't sold anything, not even the ECU. SPEAKING OF WHICH IF ANYONE WITH A 95 MAXIMA DID A CONVERSION AND WANTS THEIR ENGINE LIGHT TO GO AWAY YOU CAN COME TAKE MY ECU, i put in a new one to get rid of light.

Now i'm going to call these a holes to see if they'll let me take out tranny....
act clutch makes worth the trouble.

yeah you can defitnetly let the set up go for a grand.

i know a few people who would be intrested. :brick: