4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HIDs are MESSED up

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 01:36 PM

HIDs are MESSED up

i just received my hanabi 8,000K hids yesterday, installed them, and they worked fine for the whole night. then today, i decided to relocate one of the ballasts after reading some posts on here about ballast locations. I did this before my trip to wal-mart to get some 25 amp fuses for the lights. on the way to wal-mart, i kept the lights off, got the fuses, came out to the parking lot, installed the fuses, popped on the lights, and only one of the lights turned on. then i checked everything over, and nothing changed. drove home, popped the hood again, jiggled all the wires, nothing changed. only thing is that when i jiggled the harness that plugs into the stock harness, i could hear the relay clicking for that same side (the relay that came with the hanabi kit). turned the lights on and off a few more times to see if it would work. then, i went to turn the lights on a 3rd time, and boom, the driver's side light (which was working) turned on, and then went out. now, neither of them turn on. checked all the fuses, relays, connections, etc. no change. i noticed that when i turn on the lights, the dash lights dim slightly as they did when the lights used to work. whats the deal???? i was supposed to leave for a road trip in about an hour and had to cancel the trip!!
Old 05-02-2003, 01:49 PM
GoldenGlory

Re: HIDs are MESSED up

Originally posted by Stillen_I30
i just received my hanabi 8,000K hids yesterday, installed them, and they worked fine for the whole night. then today, i decided to relocate one of the ballasts after reading some posts on here about ballast locations. I did this before my trip to wal-mart to get some 25 amp fuses for the lights. on the way to wal-mart, i kept the lights off, got the fuses, came out to the parking lot, installed the fuses, popped on the lights, and only one of the lights turned on. then i checked everything over, and nothing changed. drove home, popped the hood again, jiggled all the wires, nothing changed. only thing is that when i jiggled the harness that plugs into the stock harness, i could hear the relay clicking for that same side (the relay that came with the hanabi kit). turned the lights on and off a few more times to see if it would work. then, i went to turn the lights on a 3rd time, and boom, the driver's side light (which was working) turned on, and then went out. now, neither of them turn on. checked all the fuses, relays, connections, etc. no change. i noticed that when i turn on the lights, the dash lights dim slightly as they did when the lights used to work. whats the deal???? i was supposed to leave for a road trip in about an hour and had to cancel the trip!!
so the new fuses crapped up ur lighting sytem.?
i changed all of mine and upgraded to higher AMPs.
say 25 to a 35.
make sure everything is plugged in all the way in!
ballast hasnt sank in water or dropped?
any pix of where the ballast are?
dont jiggle the wires... duh
grap each one...should be a blue one a red one and 2 coming from the ballast. make sure everything is plugged all the way in.
and the plug to the stock harness... by the way have u upgraded ur harness?

Old 05-02-2003, 02:35 PM

awwww......... don't do this to me...
My Hanabi 8000k is on the way~~~
Old 05-02-2003, 03:02 PM

Really sounds like two bad ballasts you got there. If everything else checks out alright, it's gotta be the ballasts.

And just FYI, it is not necessary to upgrade the fuses, the HID's run on less wattage than stock bulbs do. My 8000k's have worked perfectly for 5 months with stock fuses.

Just some info for thought...

Sorry bout the problems you're having
Old 05-02-2003, 03:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by araffio
Really sounds like two bad ballasts you got there. If everything else checks out alright, it's gotta be the ballasts.

And just FYI, it is not necessary to upgrade the fuses, the HID's run on less wattage than stock bulbs do. My 8000k's have worked perfectly for 5 months with stock fuses.

Just some info for thought...

Sorry bout the problems you're having
Same Here all stock fuses, but then mine is not the Hanabi Kit. Have you try your regular halogen and see if they atleast work?
Old 05-02-2003, 04:56 PM

I've never used fuses when I had my kit and never had any problems.
Old 05-03-2003, 01:16 AM

are the hannabi bulbs direct replacement , is the wiring the same , direct fit onto stock clips ?
or is splicing needed?

bulbs fit right in, same size as 9004?
Old 05-03-2003, 08:48 AM

Hanabi's are Plug and Play...remove stock bulb, insert HID bulb, plug in all harnesses and wires, mount ballast, done.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:55 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by araffio
Hanabi's are Plug and Play...remove stock bulb, insert HID bulb, plug in all harnesses and wires, mount ballast, done.
not sure about 8k but 6k have to be hardwired, same scenario really.

But if u just bought it you are still under warranty.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:36 AM

ballast burned out..cheap ballast
Old 05-04-2003, 10:12 PM
GoldenGlory

Old 05-06-2003, 11:25 PM

ok i just removed the entire kit from the car, and had to mail it back. I'm leaving for school on Friday (will be away from the car for four months!!), so I hope they send them back fast (since i overnighted it). Looks like i'm going to be spending much more money on these things than i thought. both ballasts seemed to have burned out...the bulbs seem to be fine. hopefully i will receive a kit without relays so that i dont have to worry messing with the battery again. why did this have to happen to ME of all people?
Old 05-07-2003, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by Stillen_I30
why did this have to happen to ME of all people?

Where di you purchase your HID kit?
Old 05-17-2003, 06:20 PM

i got the kit from Freddie (he's on the org). He sent a new set of ballasts, the ones with the relays. now the lights dont dim, and they seem to work fine. however, i only had a day to test them out, etc...as i am back at school now...wont be with the car agian until late august.