4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

WTF Very Bad Day also very long

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 05:54 PM
Kevlo for President

WTF Very Bad Day also very long

so i go to the nissan dealer that is about a hour away to get my timing chain tensioner replaced, they tell me 2 hours lator they need to order a gasket before the can do that and i have to come bak wednesday... so am mad on hte way home and it is raining like hell, when i am finally in town i noticed that the clock is very dim and i was comming up at a stop light. when i hit the brake hte radio turned off and i am very confused. i turn off hte A/C and the radio turns bak on. i thougt my battery was bad. i go to auto zone now and get my battery and alternator tested. they tell me that the alternator is putting out no power at all BTW i heard it whine for hte first time at the stop light in town. so i am ok, do yall have an alternator and they did for 200. i buy it, go to firstone(i get most of my car work done there) to have them replace it, i wait 2 hours and they tell me a fuse is blown and hte new alternator is bad. i go bak to autozone and have tehm look at it and they see that teh battery is weak so they charge it, an hour lator they test the alternator and saw that the harness is very loose. they try to put it in and they can't do it. so i can't tell if hte alternator is bad until i get the harness in. autozone tell me firestone is gonna have to drop the alternator again and reinstall the harness. firestone is closed until monday and my car is running off hte battery only. i have no car for hte weekend and i spent all day hoping to get a problem fixed and another one pops up.

know what could have caused my alternator to die today. i thought they usually whine for awhile before they die. also nissan dealer told me 250 to get the tensioner replaced
to make things worse a few days ago my car was in a hit and run and my front bumper had alot of paint taken off
Old 07-11-2003, 06:18 PM
Sin

Re: WTF Very Bad Day also very long

Originally posted by kevlo911
so i go to the nissan dealer that is about a hour away to get my timing chain tensioner replaced, they tell me 2 hours lator they need to order a gasket before the can do that and i have to come bak wednesday... so am mad on hte way home and it is raining like hell, when i am finally in town i noticed that the clock is very dim and i was comming up at a stop light. when i hit the brake hte radio turned off and i am very confused. i turn off hte A/C and the radio turns bak on. i thougt my battery was bad. i go to auto zone now and get my battery and alternator tested. they tell me that the alternator is putting out no power at all BTW i heard it whine for hte first time at the stop light in town. so i am ok, do yall have an alternator and they did for 200. i buy it, go to firstone(i get most of my car work done there) to have them replace it, i wait 2 hours and they tell me a fuse is blown and hte new alternator is bad. i go bak to autozone and have tehm look at it and they see that teh battery is weak so they charge it, an hour lator they test the alternator and saw that the harness is very loose. they try to put it in and they can't do it. so i can't tell if hte alternator is bad until i get the harness in. autozone tell me firestone is gonna have to drop the alternator again and reinstall the harness. firestone is closed until monday and my car is running off hte battery only. i have no car for hte weekend and i spent all day hoping to get a problem fixed and another one pops up.

know what could have caused my alternator to die today. i thought they usually whine for awhile before they die. also nissan dealer told me 250 to get the tensioner replaced
to make things worse a few days ago my car was in a hit and run and my front bumper had alot of paint taken off
Alternators only make noise if the bearings are failing. Often, it is the brushes that fail. When they start to fail, they make no audible noises. However, as a car enthusiast, you should check your electrical system on a regular basis. If you had, and if your alternator really has failed, you would have noticed a decrease in alternator output, and if the battery had failed, signs of the battery failing.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:36 PM
Kevlo for President

well i had the alternator test last week and it was good
Old 07-11-2003, 06:41 PM
Sin

Originally posted by kevlo911
well i had the alternator test last week and it was good
But when was the last time it was checked before that? Just because it was done last week doesn't mean its performance has been monitored adequately.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:47 PM

i'm not accusing anybody.. but it is very odd that this happened after you left the dealer..
Old 07-11-2003, 07:48 PM
SmackDown85

Dang man, sorry bout the bad luck..I feel ya tho man..we all go through some major with our cars sometimes

Old 07-11-2003, 09:58 PM

sorry bout that, tomorrow is a new day, maybe you might run into some supermodels
Old 07-12-2003, 02:28 AM
† ErV †

electrical problems hit with no warning. at least you weren't on a roadtrip...

Old 07-12-2003, 02:44 AM

Re: Re: WTF Very Bad Day also very long

Originally posted by Sin

Alternators only make noise if the bearings are failing. Often, it is the brushes that fail. When they start to fail, they make no audible noises. However, as a car enthusiast, you should check your electrical system on a regular basis. If you had, and if your alternator really has failed, you would have noticed a decrease in alternator output, and if the battery had failed, signs of the battery failing.
no. when the diodes are out of phase or burned up then it will while like crazy until it finally burns out. thats the reason for the 97 alternator recall, defective diode. brushes would last longer than the life of the alternator and car.

kevlo911- you should talk to the dealer for the recall to see if your vin# qualifies.
Old 07-12-2003, 06:32 AM
Kevlo for President

my car didn;t qualify for hte recall, i got my car in 96 as a 97 so it wasn';t covered. also when i was getting my core charge bak the guy at autozone said hte old alternator was way to hot(it had been out of hte car for 2 hours)
i don't know if that means anything though

also i get my alternator/battery checked around once a month
Old 07-12-2003, 06:43 AM
Boosted like Snipes tax refund

You'll definitely see signs (difficult to start because battery is dead, accessories which intermittently malfunction, relatively high idle rpm) etc...
Old 07-12-2003, 06:49 AM
Kevlo for President

what freaks me out is that no symptoms until i got home from the dealer
Old 07-12-2003, 07:24 AM
Kevlo for President

can some one tell me which wire goes into which hole?
here is how hte harness looks
[x] ---no wire goes here
[O] ---yellow wire?
[O] ---red wire?
[x] --- no wire goes here

that is how it look top to bottom if u have hood open and u are looking down at it
Old 07-12-2003, 07:33 AM
CaLSoNiC

Your car doesnt fall under the recall does it? Since you already paid for a new altenator, Nissan should reimburse you.

Old 07-12-2003, 07:37 AM
Kevlo for President

ok i see that my alternator fuse is blown too, is it ok to put a 10amp fuse insteadof 7.5 also i need quick answer to my harness post
Old 07-12-2003, 08:44 AM

The charge light didn't come on? I had the alternator stop charging two different times in my last car, once when it failed and once when the belt snapped. Both times the charge light came on immediately and it was warning enough to give me 20-30 miles of driving in the city before my battery went.

-Ryan
Old 07-12-2003, 08:48 AM
Kevlo for President

nope no batt light
Old 07-12-2003, 10:26 PM

When my alternator went bad, I had the "battery" and "brake" dash lights on.
Plus my Passport 8500 is always set to "voltage meter", which constantly measures the voltage output of the alternator. When I saw my battery dash light on, I looked at my Passport which usually says 13.3V-13.6V, then said 11.1V. The Passport 8500 can be a handy thing to have on your side. I was on my way on a 30 mile trip. Had i not turned around and went home, I could have been stuck installing a new alternator in a parking lot 30 miles from my house.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:50 AM
Kevlo for President

yay i think i got it fixed
when the car is off, its around 12v when its on its around 14+
thnx to 97MaximaSe