4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Smells Like Marshmellows

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 08:10 AM

Smells Like Marshmellows

ok guys i just got my apexi ws installed on my 99 yesterday and this is what i noticed:

1. smells like a campfire marshmellow roast when standing at the back bumper while car is running

2. hear a knocking noise as the engine starts up and hear the same noise when going over bumps (dont think its the tip hitting the bumper though) - maybe the bpipe hitting something?

3. filled my gas tank today but the fuel guage is not reading completely full

Does anyone know whats going on with any of this - and how i can fix any of it? Please help!
Old 08-20-2003, 12:49 PM

Re: Smells Like Marshmellows

cmon guys help me
Old 08-20-2003, 12:56 PM

Isn't it sad you've had 22 hits on this post and not a one has helped. This is really really weird. None of this was happening before you threw on the WS?
Old 08-20-2003, 01:03 PM

yeh all of this only happened right after the exhaust installation. i did however have the check engine light on before the installation which i ran a test on today and got 0138 and 0140 both having to do with the o2 sensor (bank 1 sensor 2). this might explain the fuel guage problem but still dont know whats up with the knocking sound or smelly muffler -
Old 08-20-2003, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by javasmiles
ok guys i just got my apexi ws installed on my 99 yesterday and this is what i noticed:

1. smells like a campfire marshmellow roast when standing at the back bumper while car is running

2. hear a knocking noise as the engine starts up and hear the same noise when going over bumps (dont think its the tip hitting the bumper though) - maybe the bpipe hitting something?

Does anyone know whats going on with any of this - and how i can fix any of it? Please help!
Sit behind your exhaust pipe for a couple of minutes and you will forget why you where there in the first place

What is this apxi ws, is it a muffler. As for the knock it could be a variety of things including, as you suggested, your bpipe(I assume its an aftermarket brand). For the gas, try running your car until its almost empty and then try to put as close to 16 gallons of fuel as possibly can.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:48 PM
Kevlo for President

1.) i hove no idea why the smell is there, was it there b4 the install, maybe something is stuck in hte pipes.

2.)i knocking noise at startup could be your timging chaine tensioner, where is the noise comming from? hte knocking over bumps means u have blown shocks/struts or somthing worn in hte suspension...njmax know alot obout this kinda stuff.

3.)?????????? maybe u only thought u filled up all hte way. how mcuh off is it?

ecu codes are defined in my sig or the third link in hte sicky for check engine light
Old 08-20-2003, 02:02 PM
Lightly modded

did you ever smell your exhaust before the install? i doubt the new exhaust changed the smell. the banging noise is probably an exhaust hanger hitting these metal hook by the muffler. i had that problem on my last max, and i just took the hooks off, and the problem was gone. i might have the names mixed up, but if you move the muffler around and look under the car, you can probably figure out what i mean.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:09 PM

If anyone figures out what causes your exaust to smell like roasted marshmellows let me know. I could be the first car on my block with marshmellow exaust.

^^^
Sarcasm
Old 08-20-2003, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by 95maxrider
did you ever smell your exhaust before the install? i doubt the new exhaust changed the smell. the banging noise is probably an exhaust hanger hitting these metal hook by the muffler. i had that problem on my last max, and i just took the hooks off, and the problem was gone. i might have the names mixed up, but if you move the muffler around and look under the car, you can probably figure out what i mean.

thanks for the input - dont we need the exhaust hangers to hold the exhaust up? are you saying we can do without them? if so...what will keep the exhaust on the car? thanks!
Old 08-20-2003, 02:38 PM

thanks for the input - dont we need the exhaust hangers to hold the exhaust up? are you saying we can do without them? if so...what will keep the exhaust on the car? thanks!
sorry maxrider i read your post wrong you said take the metal hooks off not the exhaust hangers huh - i'll take a look at that thanks

any more suggestions for the other problems guys? thanks!
Old 08-20-2003, 09:21 PM

bump, cmon guys i know theres people that know...
Old 08-21-2003, 06:42 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

if ur topic said something about ur exhaust problems, im sure people who might have an idea would chime in, i only looked at this cuz i was like wtf, did u get a damn air freshener that smells like marhsmallows??
Old 08-21-2003, 07:07 AM

ic...shouldve used some common sense

i just thought it might attract more hits...guess not -
Old 08-21-2003, 07:32 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

as for the mashmallow smell, possibly something in the exhaust burning off, wait a few more days and see what happens. 2) definately one of the hangers or something making noise, once you get warmed up, its gone right? so the metal changes shape a bit from the heat of the exhaust and the hangers fall a lil lower and allow it not to hit anything 3) i would go as far as to say its completely un related to the exhaust, unless some how the exhaust note vibrates enough to mess up something in the fuel cell

for the hanger problem i would go back to whoever installed it and ask them if they can do anything about it
Old 08-21-2003, 10:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

For a few days my exhaust was bumping like that too. The last hanger in the back had slid out, and it was rattling against the underbody. It took 10 seconds to fix and finally stopped that annoying noise.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:46 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

I am just guessing, so don't listen to me, but if you put in a new exhaust and it smells funny, I would tend to imagine that it was stuff in the exhaust burning off since it's new. I mean, if it really smells funny you miht want to ahve it checked out, but I would be that there's chemicals or whatever in the exhaust components that will burn off as you drive. Like I said...just guessing.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:51 AM
ivelweyz

The smell is NORMAL for the first week or so...

Old 08-21-2003, 06:22 PM

thanks guys for all the help

i think the marshmellows are all gone now and i got the knocking sound fixed, it was the bpipe hitting a crossbeam, just tweaked the positioning alittle bit and good to go

as for the fuel problem i still have no idea - im still guessing its related to the bank 1 sensor 2 error codes ive been getting -