4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Bose head Unit Problem? madchef Has the answer.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Bose head Unit Problem? madchef Has the answer.

Ok, last week, I was talking to madchef and he told me he found out how to fix the display & sound of our factory Bose head Unit. Well I didn't think it was going to work on mine.

But today, I decided to give it a try.

Results: IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my display is back, and the sound is better.

I recomend that everyone go ahead and try to do this fix becasue it only costs $0.99 to buy 6 resistors at Radio Shack (you only need 1 or 2)

Here is the link to his web site.I know that there is a link on the how to's but not everyone looks at that, so I'm putting out to everyone to see it.

http://madchef.5u.com/maxima/bose/bose.html

Thank You Chris
Old 04-06-2004, 02:54 PM

No prob, glad to hear that your Bose is working again
How's the y-pipe??
Old 04-07-2004, 06:12 AM

come on, no one likes to know when something actualy works.
PS If you have a Bose with no display, this fix is recomended.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:54 AM

How long does this take approx?
Old 04-07-2004, 10:26 AM

i didnt know there were problems with the bose head unit...does anyone know on a timeline when it goes bad:?
Old 04-07-2004, 10:55 AM

Since no one likes to know when something works....here's a problem for you all. My Bose tape player had been giving me problems keeping tapes in and playing them. It loved to eject them for no reason or skip back and forth between side A and B. Like the idiot I am I kept sticking tapes in hoping it was majically going to play it. Well now it doesn't want to play or eject the tape out. It's just stuck in there. Any ideas on how to get it out?

I've tried prying it with pliers but it seems to be locked into place.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by GoldMax99
Since no one likes to know when something works....here's a problem for you all. My Bose tape player had been giving me problems keeping tapes in and playing them. It loved to eject them for no reason or skip back and forth between side A and B. Like the idiot I am I kept sticking tapes in hoping it was majically going to play it. Well now it doesn't want to play or eject the tape out. It's just stuck in there. Any ideas on how to get it out?

I've tried prying it with pliers but it seems to be locked into place.
I have that exact problem with my Bose...except I don't have a tape stuck in there. It just keeps switching from A to B and back and forth. It's like it's trying to find a tape, but there is no tape in there. Any suggestions?
Old 04-07-2004, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Asian_N02
I have that exact problem with my Bose...except I don't have a tape stuck in there. It just keeps switching from A to B and back and forth. It's like it's trying to find a tape, but there is no tape in there. Any suggestions?
Ah, same issue here. Strangely eject never seems to work, however if i use the tape button (you know down the left hand side) it will eject the tape.

For example: Tape in player, wont eject, wont play, just keeps switching sides.
Turn radio off (or car). Turn car back on, normally the tape will attempt to play. If i hit the tape button immedialy when i restart the car, the tape will eject. (note i said the tape button not the eject button).

Interestingly enough that's also how i get it to play correctly. when i insert a tape, i press tape immedialy to turn off the tape, then tape again and it will play. When i want to eject the tape, i just hit the tape button again and out comes the tape. not elegant by any means and maybe when i take apart my bose to fix the display issue i'll see if it needs cleaing etc....

As for the other question.
95-96 bose stereos seem to lose display after approx 100-150K miles of use. However some lose display sooner, and others never seem to lose display.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:29 PM

dmplus,

I also have noticed that pressing the TAPE button will eject the tape. The tape has even ejected on me when turning off the car. but this time it seems to be really stuck. I've tried everything to get the damn thing out. My display has also begun to go. I'm at 97k and since about 80k the display goes off once every 6 months for about a day and then comes back.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:32 PM
Kevlo for President

Will this work on 97+?
Old 04-07-2004, 01:03 PM

I've never take apart a 97+ Bose, but I imagine it is the exact same solution.
The only prob might be if the power board layout is different...in that case, just resoldering all the resistors should do the job. (since, in that case, you won't know which one is the culprit)
Old 04-07-2004, 01:05 PM

dmplus,

I also have noticed that pressing the TAPE button will eject the tape. The tape has even ejected on me when turning off the car. but this time it seems to be really stuck. I've tried everything to get the damn thing out. My display has also begun to go. I'm at 97k and since about 80k the display goes off once every 6 months for about a day and then comes back.
Wellcome to the display problem, it only gets worse from here. Mine is now to the point where it's only goes on once a day every 6 months or so . Maybe this weekend i'll crack mine open and try the fix.
I'll bet you're to the point where the only way your gonna get that tape out is to dismantle the player :-(
Old 04-07-2004, 01:51 PM

to remove the HU from the dash (5-15minutes)
to take the display section apart (5-10minutes)
to remove and put new resistor in place (7-15 minutes)

Off course this is for first timers.
For example if you are stubburn like me, or experinced like madchef (on removing the HU) then you take a total of 10-15 minutes to do the whole thing.
or 45 to doing carfully.
This is what I think it takes. but doit slowly and you won't forget to put all the bolts in the right place. (I have two small bolts on my cup holders area, that I forgot to put it on.)

Gui
Old 04-08-2004, 06:11 AM

dmplus,

As soon as my display gets bad enough that I have to do this procedure, then I'll go ahead and try and get the tape out. At least the tape is not mine, so I don't really care about it.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:19 AM

dmplus,

As soon as my display gets bad enough that I have to do this procedure, then I'll go ahead and try and get the tape out. At least the tape is not mine, so I don't really care about it.
Are there any fixes for a unit that believes it has a CD in it (green lite stays lit) The Unit will periodically switch between radio and CD thinking there is a CD in there. Then the CD Err. message will appear.

I didn't see anything mentioned about a CD fix. Also, there is NO CD stuck in it and it WON'T except any new CD's. Any thoughts on this.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:09 AM

yo madchef!

my rear left speaker starts to hiss, pop, and cut out at louder than normal volume. Is this the fix for it?

I purchased a working rear amp and speaker and i still got the noise, so i know it is the head unit.

if so, im on it like white on rice, if not, im calling crutchfiled and getting me a new cd/mp3 player.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:22 AM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

im going to do this now, how do you get the dead resistor off? do you jsut snap it off with a screwdriver or does it easily pop off or what?
Old 04-08-2004, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by 96stillen_max
im going to do this now, how do you get the dead resistor off? do you jsut snap it off with a screwdriver or does it easily pop off or what?
Please report back success/failure, tips etc...

Thanks
Old 04-08-2004, 02:49 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

well i failed. either i have a different problem with my display, my soldering sucked (not very unlikely) or i used the wrong resistor. i couldnt find resistors at radio shack exactly like the one on the board and had to use a different 470 ohm resistor.