4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

max wont start :-(

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 04:06 PM

max wont start :-(

i dont know if this problem is the cause or just a coincidence but lately my whole middle panel( cd player, clock, cig lighter) of dash board would die on me while driving n then turn back on, on its own in 5-10min unless i restart the car and this has been happening more frequently lately.
Today, i started the car, put it in reverse, the middle dash died, so i put it in park, turned the car off, n try turnin the car back on but it wont budge, its just dead.

I have no clue on what the problem is, is it some blown fuse, a shortage somewhere, or maybe the alternator?

when i put the key in - everythig works, headlights, power windows, the dash, itt just doesnt start. And theres also somethig thats draining the battery because it dies pretty quickly after tryin to start the car n than i have to put it on my other car n recharge it.

Has anyone had this problem b4? Please help
Old 06-02-2004, 04:47 PM

well, if everything electronic works [dash, headlights] it's probably your starter. i had to replace mine this weekend. i was driving all day and everything was fine, then i got out for literally two minutes and it wouldn't start but everything still worked electronically. luckily the starter in the maximas is pretty easy to get at. thats weird about your panel though...
Old 06-02-2004, 08:47 PM

thanx for the replie,, with me it was i turn it off n turn try to turn it back on in literally 2 seconds...
And for some reason the tow truck driver n the mechenic of the shop ive talk to seem to think its some other electrical problem other then the started or the altenator. like sumtin is drainig the battery more than usually n they think it has to do sumtin with the middle dash board shuttin off.

Has anyone else had a problem like that
Old 06-02-2004, 09:45 PM

plus the thing is that if its the starter the head lights are suppose to dim when u try to sart the car but they dont. so im really clueless
Old 06-03-2004, 06:29 AM

You might have an alternator that is starting to go bad. The alternator keeps all of your lights lit up normally. If it starts to fail the car switches to battery. Once the battery is tapped the car will eventually die. It sounds like the alternator is dropping out but coming back at some point. When you turned the car off while the lights were out you were trying to start it off of a drained battery most likely. I would definitely have the alternator checked. Other than that it could be a short in whatever circuit powers that panel.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:33 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Go to Autozone (if your car starts) and have them check your charging system - that will help rule out or pinpoint the alternator, battery and battery cables etc...
Old 06-03-2004, 05:22 PM

well the car does not start, and ive tryed it with a different good battery and still nothing, and the car should still start even if the alternator is bad it just runs of the battery so its not that. im thinkin of a burned fuse or wire or sumtin, but where or which one would that be
Old 06-03-2004, 05:38 PM

I bet ur alternator is dead. replace it.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:36 AM

Try this! Go to a local auto part store or Harbor Freight and look for the REMODE STARTER (It cost appx $6-10 bucks). Be sure your battery is fully charged and have good connections. Open the hood and clip the gator clips to the starter solenoid terminals, insert the key then turn it to ON position. Now, put the button to start the engine (Don't forget to press the clutch pedal if you have a 5sp). If the car won't start then your starter is bad, but if it starts right up then your ignition switch need to be replaced. Hope it helps.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:55 AM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

mine's been starting like crap lately, on cold starts it'll crank as if it were dead, it takes a few tries to get it started and i've came to the point where I even have to press the gas a little to get it running, but when the car is warmed up it starts like a champ ... alternator was replaced 2 yrs ago by recall, so i'm hoping that's not going bad again
Old 06-04-2004, 09:59 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by Wht98SE
mine's been starting like crap lately, on cold starts it'll crank as if it were dead, it takes a few tries to get it started and i've came to the point where I even have to press the gas a little to get it running, but when the car is warmed up it starts like a champ ... alternator was replaced 2 yrs ago by recall, so i'm hoping that's not going bad again
Does it crank slowly when cold or just turn over a lot before catching? or is it just not catching... it could be your ECTS that is not detecting the cold start and thus an improper fuel mixture is being sent to the cylinders...
Old 06-04-2004, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by njmodi
Does it crank slowly when cold or just turn over a lot before catching? or is it just not catching... it could be your ECTS that is not detecting the cold start and thus an improper fuel mixture is being sent to the cylinders...
it cranks very slow, almost like if the car was dead
Old 06-04-2004, 10:09 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by Wht98SE
it cranks very slow, almost like if the car was dead
Are you still using the original battery? It sounds like your battery is about to give up the ghost... I would recommend Interstate batteries - Optimas are another excellent choice, but more expensive.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by njmodi
Are you still using the original battery? It sounds like your battery is about to give up the ghost... I would recommend Interstate batteries - Optimas are another excellent choice, but more expensive.
kinda hard to tell, looks like the original but I'd doubt it would last 6 years .. looks like it was changed in '00 .. either way i'll have the electrical system checked out and load tested .. someone suggested autozone, how much can they load-test the system?
Old 06-04-2004, 03:08 PM

well,, had a car electrician come to my house to diagnose the problem and guess what - he comes, tryes it and it starts, what a f'kin joke....

but the middle dash panel going off turns out to be the result of a bad ignition switch,,, the guy think the car not starting and those lights going off are probly are a result of that switch going bad, but it might also be a coincidence , so....
Old 06-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Kevlo for President

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....gnition+switch

I had to replace mine.