4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Stinky smell in AC - RESOLVED!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2001, 07:03 AM

Thanks to www.keep-it-kool.com, I was able to resolve the stink smell coming from my evaporator core. Their product is excellent and worked almost immediately! It's comparable to DWD2 ($59.95). However, it's a lot cheaper ($24.95 - includes shipping cost). It's also easy to apply. The evaporator canister sits right behind the glove compartment inside the car. Just remove the glove compartment and you will see the canister with the blower sitting adjacent to it. There is a resistor connector that is attached directly to the canister by two screws. Remove the two screws and the connector and you will have access to the interior. When you look in, with a flashlight, you will see the blower on the right side and the evaporator core on the left. The product comes with a long hose. Insert the hose and spray to your left (on the core itself). Make sure to shake the can a lot, this will increase the "foaming" action when you apply it. Apply the entire can to the core. There will be a strong scent of citrus. Let it sit for 15 mins. while it works (with the car turned off). Then run the blower for about 5 mins. (at low speed). That's it!!! The air will intially come out with a citrus smell and over a period of time will continue to eliminate all of the gunk and fungus in the canister. This stuff is great! And you can't beat the price! When you go to site to look for the product, it will be the Air Repair Evaporator Treatment.
Old 06-03-2001, 05:31 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

A/c smell

FYI

I found the same product at www.refrigerantsales.com for $9.95 a can.

Old 06-03-2001, 07:24 AM

Seems like a deal - is the hose needed ?

The only diff I could see is that the keep it kool version comes with a hose for spraying into the evap core and the $10 version does not.

Is the hose needed for satisfactory application ?
Thoughts after applying it, maxnewbie ?

Bob
Old 06-03-2001, 08:45 PM

Re: A/c smell

Yes the hose is absolutely needed. Don't assume that refrigerantsales.com does not include it. I'd call tha 800# and ask. I found the site after I bought mine from keep-it-kool so I can't tell you what they ship for the $9.95. But I can tell you that even the K-it-K can does not come with an aspirator on it. The aspirator comes with the hose (rendering the can useless unless you get both). That's what makes me think that refrigerantsales.com probably will do the same. Even if they don't, you'd probably still come out ahead if you had to buy it.

I'd be interested in maxnewbie's impressions too, especially over the long haul. I have a 95SE. When it came time for me to spray mine, I got a little adventurous and partially disassembled my evaporator housing so I could see inside. I found lots of small leaves and pine needles. The core itself looked pretty clean. It seems my problem was that the leaves and pine needles were getting damp and creating the swampy smell. Without removing the leaves, I'm not sure that the spray would have done much.

Let me know how it goes for you. I'm interested. Glad I could save you a few bucks...

...enjoy the ride!

Old 06-04-2001, 05:26 AM

You will definitely need the hose as it will allow you to get into the lower areas of the evap. core. To date, I can happily say, that the product I purchased worked great. I haven't had any problems with the odors I had before (and they were pretty bad). I highly recommend the product - it's worth the $25.00. Beats paying $60.00 for similar products.
Old 06-04-2001, 11:46 AM
seanqlee

Originally posted by maxnewbie
Thanks to www.keep-it-kool.com, I was able to resolve the stink smell coming from my evaporator core. Their product is excellent and worked almost immediately! It's comparable to DWD2 ($59.95). However, it's a lot cheaper ($24.95 - includes shipping cost). It's also easy to apply. The evaporator canister sits right behind the glove compartment inside the car. Just remove the glove compartment and you will see the canister with the blower sitting adjacent to it. There is a resistor connector that is attached directly to the canister by two screws. Remove the two screws and the connector and you will have access to the interior. When you look in, with a flashlight, you will see the blower on the right side and the evaporator core on the left. The product comes with a long hose. Insert the hose and spray to your left (on the core itself). Make sure to shake the can a lot, this will increase the "foaming" action when you apply it. Apply the entire can to the core. There will be a strong scent of citrus. Let it sit for 15 mins. while it works (with the car turned off). Then run the blower for about 5 mins. (at low speed). That's it!!! The air will intially come out with a citrus smell and over a period of time will continue to eliminate all of the gunk and fungus in the canister. This stuff is great! And you can't beat the price! When you go to site to look for the product, it will be the Air Repair Evaporator Treatment.
your link dont work. www.keepitkool.com got me some other service company. I'm interested in this product, can you repost the link?

Old 06-04-2001, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by seanqlee

your link dont work. www.keepitkool.com got me some other service company. I'm interested in this product, can you repost the link?
If you use the dashes, as it shows in my posting, you shouldn't have a problem. I just tried it and it came up with no problem.
Old 06-04-2001, 12:31 PM

Get rid of the period at the end of it.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:51 PM

I just got the can treatment can today and tried looking for the evaporator through the glove compartment, but couldnt find it. Can you kinda explain more in detail how I can get to the evaporator(and how it looks like) Thanks.

Originally posted by maxnewbie
Old 12-13-2002, 01:58 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

It's behind the glove box. Take out the 3 or so screws down below that hold the glove box in place and you'll see the entire HVAC system.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:08 PM
Sin

You guys don't really need the hose. Just find the air inlets, and start spraying there. I prefer this method because it cleans the ENTIRE HVAC tract, and not just the core and everything afterwards. Don't forget to run full hot, full cold, as well as recirculate. When you do recirculate, spray into the interior air inlet instead of the exterior inlet.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:19 PM

brb

Originally posted by Sin
You guys don't really need the hose. Just find the air inlets, and start spraying there. I prefer this method because it cleans the ENTIRE HVAC tract, and not just the core and everything afterwards. Don't forget to run full hot, full cold, as well as recirculate. When you do recirculate, spray into the interior air inlet instead of the exterior inlet.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:27 PM
Sin

Originally posted by Max4Good
brb

brb?
Old 12-13-2002, 04:28 PM

Ok, I just took out the glove compartment, but I'm not sure how the evaporator looks like. I took a picture of the inside. I'd appreciate it if you guys help me out, thanks.

http://max4good.tripod.com/DSCN0003.JPG

I just noticed theres something wrong with the link. If the link says something like ....al/remote.jpg, just change it to DSCN0003.JPG
Old 12-13-2002, 05:10 PM

Ok, I just took out the glove compartment, but I'm not sure how the evaporator looks like. I took a picture of the inside. I'd appreciate it if you guys help me out, thanks.

http://max4good.tripod.com/DSCN0003.JPG

I just noticed theres something wrong with the link. If the link says something like ....al/remote.jpg, just change it to DSCN0003.JPG
bump
Old 12-13-2002, 05:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

bump
Still no pic here!!
Old 12-14-2002, 12:19 PM

I figured it out finally. I got confused when he said there is a canistor with motor attached to it and I was looking for something that looked like a can with a motor. I saw a white "plug" that was screwed to the black panel and unscrewed it, and pulled it out. White thing had couple rods attached to it, i guess that was the motor. In the hole where the rods were, to the left i saw the evaporator(kinda like radiator) so I foamed it. Hope I did it right. THanks for the help guys.