4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fog Rewire Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 11:00 AM
Bacon Lover

Fog Rewire Issues

Well search as I might, I still have a few questions that no one seems to be able to answer for me about the foglight rewire. I'm attempting to do this version of the rewire. Now it's not the process that confuses me. It's that I'm not real knowledgeable on electronics and I have no idea what to purchase to do it. They merely list "3 ft. of wire" and a "wire tap." Well, I went to Radio Shack, and they had no clue what to reccomend to me.

What I need to know is exactly what KIND of wire I need. As in, what size, etc. I also need to know exactly which kind of wire tap I need. They come in different sizes based on the guage of wire you want to use them with. Also, the pictures on that site are rather confusing and to be quite honest, I don't know how to use wire taps

So if someone could help me out here and let me know what it is I need to buy, I would be forever greatful.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:07 AM
dot dot dot ...

I used 14 gauge normal Checker auto store wire, they sell a small kit that comes with wire taps etc. Those type of wirte taps are pretty simple. I used one when wiring my tach to my RPM switch, and you just get the 2 wires you want to "tap" togehter, stack them or get them close to each other and squeeze until you hear a slight snap, and they should be making contact by then. Personally I just snip a small piece of insulation from each, and wrap them around, I guess that could be considered the "ghetto" way but it works for me.

I didn't do that version of the rewire either, but as far as supplies go, my advice remains.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:10 AM
blah

If you have hard time understanding that write up I suggest you to leave the stock wiring alone, but if you really want to do it just get some wire from radio shak and some electrical tape. 20-18 gauge wiring should be sufficient for the job I don't know what the exact gauge of the stock wiring is. If wire taps are too complicated just strip off the insulation wrap the new wire around it and throw some eletrical tape on it and call it a day.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Bacon Lover

Thanks for the responses guys, that makes things a lot easier for me. Especially Nmex for explaining how wire taps work for me

Originally Posted by Batxel
If you have hard time understanding that write up I suggest you to leave the stock wiring alone
I understand the write-up fine. It was just very vague when it came to the materials needed.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:42 AM
Bacon Lover

Actually I do have one more question about that write-up...

In the last step where you splice your "new" wire into the red/blue wire of the sidemarker, do you then have another loose wire hanging that needs wrapped with electrical tape? What I mean is, are you cutting the red/blue wire and tapping your new wire into the end that goes into the actual sidemarker itself, and then leaving the other half of the red/blue wire just dangling somewhere...or...are you splicing the new wire WITHOUT cutting the red/blue wire? If you're splicing without cutting, how do I do that exactly?
Old 07-06-2005, 12:55 PM
Bacon Lover

Please...

...help out someone here who's "wiring retarded"
Old 07-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You are just using the wires "energy". All you need is a little splice and what it does is basically it draws the power from the wire you are speaking of and feeds it to the other....there is no cutting involved.

On the splicer there is one open end and then one end that that only goes in past the metal clamp. Put the wire from the fog light into the side that ends and then simply slide the side marker wire in the side next to it WITHOUT cutting it. Here is a pic...see how the black wire runs through it....you are just feeding off of it and not cutting it....on that red/blue wire just pick a place and splice it there....make sure the wire from the fog relay is deep in the other hole that ends past the metal clamp so it feeds off of it. On the last pic the fog wire goes into that bottom hole....whats when you clamp it. Good luck

I was a noob too....I figured all that **** out on my own and TRUST me....if I did it you can EASILY do it.

Old 07-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Bacon Lover

Yeah, I eventually did figure it out without ever having read your post

Took my dad and I some time, but we got it right eventually. I knew what I was doing, however we couldn't get it to work and completely missed the obvious (didn't have the relay plugged back in). Here is a finished picture:

Old 07-06-2005, 07:19 PM

You should have done the independant mod....so the fog works completely alone....still looks good though.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:22 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by Nick7455
You should have done the independant mod....so the fog works completely alone....still looks good though.
I was going to...but couldn't find the write-up. Is it much more complicated than the way I did it? And could you link me to the write-up for it?
Old 07-06-2005, 09:46 PM
dot dot dot ...

I think it's actually easier ..

I found it in the stickys, but this was last summer so it may not be there anymore.. Haven't looked lately though.

The hardest thing for me was getting that b@$t@rd plastic cover off
Old 07-06-2005, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I think it's actually easier ..

I found it in the stickys, but this was last summer so it may not be there anymore.. Haven't looked lately though.

The hardest thing for me was getting that b@$t@rd plastic cover off
Yea....it is actually easier....and I had the same problem....fukin plastic
Old 07-07-2005, 07:16 AM
Bacon Lover

Which plastic cover?

I had one hell of a time getting the cover off the relay box, if that's what you're referring to