4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My new intake setup (56k beware)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 09:52 AM

That dryer vent will do absolutely nothing, except clutter up the engine bay and possibly get caught in your serpentine belt. If you want a cold air advantage and not draw the warm air from the engine bay, design a heat shield and allow the intake to draw air from your drive side fender. If you want to take it a step further and attempt to acheive ram air, need a pressurized air box and not just a heat sheild.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Radiohead
I did something similar in my GTI where I ran 3" ducting from the OEM airbox to the lower grille, and it definitely made a difference. I might try the same idea on my Maxima, but I'm not sure where I can run the ducting to to get the most air.
I read an article that specifically spoke about the best place to locate an intake based on air resistance; i.e., the higher the resistance, the greater the air pressure. They suggested where I have my arrow drawn (actually the arrow should be where your license plate is located, or to the right of it).

Find an open space through the bumper and try routing the air duct through the space between the battery, headlight, and radiator. If there is no room, then you can route it under the car up in front of the radiator and through the bumper space.

Actually, I tend to agree with the rest about the usefulness of such a setup. I have gotten good results with my stock intake simply by blocking off the resonator branch using a paddleball placed inside the open ing and reinstalling the elbow:

I did test measurements with this setup that showed an air velocity increase of 8.3 fps over the stock 1.4 fps when travelling at only 25 mph!
Old 05-21-2006, 08:39 PM

Duct needs to be pressurized. Incoming airflow must not have anywhere to go but the intake. This meaning air box and tubing must be completely airtight with the only opening at the duct at the front of the car.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I made a ShopVac OSCAI for my Maxima. No idea about gains, figure it should be a little better than stock. But honestly I don't use it because I like the sound with the snorkel removed and stock airbox (with K&N of course).

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...akeoutside.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...intakedown.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...ntakeunder.jpg
Old 05-22-2006, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by FantasyGod
Duct needs to be pressurized. Incoming airflow must not have anywhere to go but the intake. This meaning air box and tubing must be completely airtight with the only opening at the duct at the front of the car.
Good info, FantasyGod. I would only add that the other problem area are the number of twists and turns your tubing needs to take before reaching the air box, as well as the overall length.

The best setup is one that has a straight pipe from box to outside air. All things considered, the stock set-up may not be the straightest or the shortest route, but it is direct to the front.

If someone could augment the scoop in front (I'm working on that as we speak) to draw in more air, the better.

BTW, cleaning out the inside of the stock air system can make a bigt difference! You'd be surprised how dirty they can get, and how much a dirty pipe slows down air flow.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:15 AM
This ORG has saved me $$$$$$$$

looks to me like you'd get gravel or water or something splashing into your engine compartment that way.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Juicey
looks to me like you'd get gravel or water or something splashing into your engine compartment that way.
Since water is heavier than air, you could rig up a water trap that would allow water to flow towards the roadway while allowing the air to pass through.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by dr-rjp
I read an article that specifically spoke about the best place to locate an intake based on air resistance; i.e., the higher the resistance, the greater the air pressure. They suggested where I have my arrow drawn (actually the arrow should be where your license plate is located, or to the right of it).

Find an open space through the bumper and try routing the air duct through the space between the battery, headlight, and radiator. If there is no room, then you can route it under the car up in front of the radiator and through the bumper space.
My original plan was to remove the stock snorkle and replace it with a duct going from the airbox to where you suggested, but I was worried about how close the ducting would be to the radiator. Also, the duct would have a lot of twists and bends, so I'm starting to wonder if it's even worth it.

Originally Posted by dr-rjp
Actually, I tend to agree with the rest about the usefulness of such a setup. I have gotten good results with my stock intake simply by blocking off the resonator branch using a paddleball placed inside the open ing and reinstalling the elbow:

I did test measurements with this setup that showed an air velocity increase of 8.3 fps over the stock 1.4 fps when travelling at only 25 mph!
So far I have the same setup as that, with a hacked airbox and K&N filter. I removed the elbow pipe to the intake resonator and plugged the opening on the snorkle with a spraycan cap. I wasn't expecting a big gain in air velocity though!
Old 05-22-2006, 01:57 PM

Wow talk about brought back from the dead. The duct is still on the car. There has been a little more dirt around the intake area but its mainly just a kind of dust no rocks or anything. I've driven through many very large puddles here in the city and I stopped to check to see if any water was in the engine bay and so far no water has gotten in so thats not a problem. Do I feel a diffierence with it on when I driving no. Did I see a difference in track times after I installed it yes. Whether it was just the intake that made the difference I dont know. I know this isnt the best design or place to have the duct thats one reason I started the thread for suggestions. So far it looks like some good info and ideas are coming up. I dont have any plans on moving it anytime soon but I'm always looking for something new to do.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:36 PM

good job!!!