4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

NOOBIES: The "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by stevenmaxva
I want to upgrade alot on this grand old car, 250k original owner, where do I start?

thanks
Steve
Mantinence, then suspension and tires, then do the Y pipe and exhaust. That is the best way IMO.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:51 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

I want to upgrade alot on this grand old car, 250k original owner, where do I start?

thanks
Steve
Read the sticky threads at the top of the forum. Also, check out the DC subforum- there are a lot of guys over there who can lend a hand with mods and parts for sale.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:30 AM

thanks
Steve
Honestly I don't know about modding the 250k car. You'll have to complete maintenence on the car which could be a lot and then modding will be a good amount of $$. With 250k there really isnt that much time on the car IMO. I've yet to see many at all that get there cars that far along. What shape is the car in? I would say do suspension to make it look nice but I don't think its worth putting any other mods into it. Just my opinion.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Slow Acceleration

HI all sorry for my english , I get my maxima 96 a month ago, everithing seem normal, but first i got a strange shifting on transmision, like lagging on changing speeds, next, when i press the acelerator, the RPM increase but there is a little acceleration compared at first, sometime when i go on reverse the engine turn off.

All the things went worse when i replaced the battery, is when the chek engine light appeared, because the battery die when the car stop for more than 2 days, like if something is in shortcut.

These are the codes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Diagnostic Trouble Code 0407 indicates a malfunction was detected when...
A) 120 degree signal is not entered to ECM for the first few seconds during
engine cranking.
B) 120 degree signal is not entered to ECM during engine running.
C) 120 degree signal cycle excessively changes during engine running.

Possible causes...
- Harness or connectors
- Crankshaft Position Sensor (REF)
- Starter motor
- Starting system circuit

Diagnostic Trouble Code 0503 indicates a problem with the front Oxygen Sensor on the right cylinder bank. The right bank is also called the rear bank. It is cylinders 1,3,5. A normal signal sweeps back and forth between 0.2 volts and 0.8 volts. This malfunction was detected when the Engine Control Module received a signal from the sensor which was a constant value of approximately 0.3 volts.

Possible causes include ...
- Harness or connectors (the sensor circuit is open or shorted).
- Defective Oxygen Sensor
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im not sure if these problems with acceleration are cause by these Sensors.
and i dont know where i can start for fixing.

First the strange transmission, second the battery and finally the poor acceleration.

Can someone Helpme.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi I'm new to this forum. I have a '96 GLE and I am trying to figure out what's wrong with my antenna. It will not extend and I can't get any reception whatsoever. I pulled the lining off and checked the wiring and there doesn't seem to be anything disconnected. Has anyone had this problem before?
Please help!

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2007, 12:33 PM

Motor is probably messed up or the antenna is getting stuck inside. How to's might have something about fixing that, I dont remember. Might need new stuff. Mine is doing it now and I'm about to get a new unmotorized antenna.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Which antenna are you getting? (brand/model?) I am interested but I don't know much about that. Also, do you know how I can get into the antenna box? It seems to be behind a plate of metal that is welded into place. I guess I need to know how to get the box out so I can have a look at it.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:00 PM
cpt

Take the nut off the top of the antenna mount, turn the antenna on and pull it out. There are two screw that hold the antenna unit to the side brace. Either way, I think you are going to have to take it out. Order a new antenna off E-bay or go to auto-zone. You'll get instructions. I took mine apart and relubed everything, pretty bad after 11 years.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:49 PM

I'm just going to get a stationary antenna. Small black on to blend in with the car for now. Maybe sometime in the future I'll reroute the antenna up to the roof for a shark fin. But that's only if I ever get the car painted. Just buy a stock antenna from ebay or on here.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

do you have to use premium in the maxima?

might be a dumb question.. but just wanted to ask.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:24 AM

Manual recommends 91.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:16 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by JPhaSE
do you have to use premium in the maxima?

might be a dumb question.. but just wanted to ask.
Well this is a hotly contested question.

No doubt, the car is tuned for premium (91-93 octane), and it performs best with it. If you run lower, it may knock and then the engine will retard timing to prevent damage to the engine. If you want every last HP, run premium.

IME, for fuel economy the answer is no. I run 89 octane and my fuel economy has not changed one bit. But my fuel costs have gone down, and I keep detailed records to prove it. So you will save money not using the high-end premium.

I haven't tried 87, since I think that might just be too low.

Dave
Old 01-28-2007, 10:20 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by the red death
Hi I'm new to this forum. I have a '96 GLE and I am trying to figure out what's wrong with my antenna. It will not extend and I can't get any reception whatsoever. I pulled the lining off and checked the wiring and there doesn't seem to be anything disconnected. Has anyone had this problem before?
Please help!

Thanks!
Have someone stand by the antenna when you turn the ignition on. If it makes noise, like clicking, just buy a new antenna mast assembly. Undo the nut on the outside (carefully! using needle-nose pliers) and then pull out the antenna. Note that the teeth on the white plastic strip point in a certain direction (forward, IIRC). Now feed in the new antenna strip with the teeth pointed the same way, while someone turns the ignition key from on to off and runs the retractor. The plastic strip should be pulled in. Now just put th mast in and fasten the nut.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bose head unit repair...
Hey guys my bose head unit on my 96 maxima died and will not turn on for anything, the only thing that works on the thing is the eject for the cd player.?.?.? i read the FAQ's and took the head unit out and apart because they said it may be a bad resistor, now I have a soldering iron, but i dont know where i would go about getting a replacement resistor for the unit. I went to radio shack, and the sell some cylindrical 470 ohm resistors but they look nothing like what is on the circuit board.... can y'all help me get this fixed.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:09 PM

fitting seats

i have a 95 maxima and i was wondering if the 5th gen seats would fit in my 95 maxima for the front and back?
Old 01-29-2007, 02:58 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by rxman09
Bose head unit repair...
Hey guys my bose head unit on my 96 maxima died and will not turn on for anything, the only thing that works on the thing is the eject for the cd player.?.?.? i read the FAQ's and took the head unit out and apart because they said it may be a bad resistor, now I have a soldering iron, but i dont know where i would go about getting a replacement resistor for the unit. I went to radio shack, and the sell some cylindrical 470 ohm resistors but they look nothing like what is on the circuit board.... can y'all help me get this fixed.
www.digikey.com
Old 01-29-2007, 06:20 AM

Gauge Cluster Lights

I was thinking about replacing the gauge cluster white (incadecent) lights with leds (white or blue). My question: Will I still be able to control the bulbs with the dimmer or will I need to put some type of resistor in-line to control the brightness?
Old 01-29-2007, 11:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

allright,
so I checked all of the resistors, and they all checked out... so i am pretty much fed up with this whole stereo. If I buy new speakers and head unit to put in the car, can i use the same wires that the bose system ran off of, or did they use some special wire crap that I would have to change?
Old 01-29-2007, 02:46 PM

I've been looking for some good quality aftermarket struts/springs that work like original equipment or better. I'm not really into lowering my car. I just want something good that will last another 213k miles. Any sources? Everything I search for on the web gives me over-kill items that lower the car or modify something.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Q8BallMAXIMA
I was thinking about replacing the gauge cluster white (incadecent) lights with leds (white or blue). My question: Will I still be able to control the bulbs with the dimmer or will I need to put some type of resistor in-line to control the brightness?
As long as you tie the leds into the original wires that have the dimmer control.

Eshelon, check the stickies. Tokico Blues are stock replacement but better. Springs would be your choice. Also look back on here. Somewhere there is a link to maxmods site. That will give you all upgrades for the car, performance and all.

rxman09, whole new hu could work as long as its not a problem with something other than the hu.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, my bro just got new wheels on his 05 STi and I was wondering if his 225/40/17's will fit on my maxima. The rim is 17x8 and with a 53mm offset. I asked some guy today who does alignments and he said it would fit but I would need a new alignment. What do you guys think?
Old 01-29-2007, 06:14 PM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by Eshelon
I've been looking for some good quality aftermarket struts/springs that work like original equipment or better. I'm not really into lowering my car. I just want something good that will last another 213k miles. Any sources? Everything I search for on the web gives me over-kill items that lower the car or modify something.
Keep the springs, but rewrap the end turns with some of that plastic spiral wrap used for wiring, you can get it at radio shack. Put in Tokico "blues" struts for the closest thing to stock. Replace the rubber parts in the strut assembly that are worn out, and replace the front strut bearings if you haven't done that already.

Dave
Old 01-30-2007, 10:35 AM
What's next!?..

Originally Posted by MaxpowerGLE
Hey guys, my bro just got new wheels on his 05 STi and I was wondering if his 225/40/17's will fit on my maxima. The rim is 17x8 and with a 53mm offset. I asked some guy today who does alignments and he said it would fit but I would need a new alignment. What do you guys think?
I believe the offset for a Maxima is between 35-40mm.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:55 AM

I've been a new Maxima owner since Oct 2006 and have found this site very useful. I have a question about taillights.

I have a 99 and didn't realize it when I bought the car that it came with the 95-96 tails. The previous owner must have done things to it I do not know. But anyway I bought some red/clears off ebay. I thought it would have been an easy switch so I tried to put them on this past weekend. Once I got the old tail out I realized the back housing of the 95-96 tails are not like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=140073903445

I was thinking I have to just take the bulbs apart from the housing and place the bulbs in the new tails but wanted to ask if anyone has any any expereince with this. Thanks
Old 01-30-2007, 03:38 PM

Those tails will fit, just because the back of the tail lights are different doesn't mean there not going to fit. The molds may have been different from the 95-96 tails to the 97-99 tails. The bulbs and connectors should be a swap-for-swap on the new tails you got. Just be sure the CLIPS or SCREW HOLES are in the same locations. If not, then the tails are not going to work. Modifications can be done, but not recommended.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by ajh624
I've been a new Maxima owner since Oct 2006 and have found this site very useful. I have a question about taillights.

I have a 99 and didn't realize it when I bought the car that it came with the 95-96 tails. The previous owner must have done things to it I do not know. But anyway I bought some red/clears off ebay. I thought it would have been an easy switch so I tried to put them on this past weekend. Once I got the old tail out I realized the back housing of the 95-96 tails are not like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=140073903445

I was thinking I have to just take the bulbs apart from the housing and place the bulbs in the new tails but wanted to ask if anyone has any any expereince with this. Thanks
The problem you are experiencing is that the trunk lights on the 95-96 are a different shape I believe but the outer tails are the same. If you want the red/clears you will need to by 95-96 red/clears or a trunk lid for the 97-99.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:37 PM

Great Info
Old 01-30-2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Q8BallMAXIMA
Those tails will fit, just because the back of the tail lights are different doesn't mean there not going to fit. The molds may have been different from the 95-96 tails to the 97-99 tails. The bulbs and connectors should be a swap-for-swap on the new tails you got. Just be sure the CLIPS or SCREW HOLES are in the same locations. If not, then the tails are not going to work. Modifications can be done, but not recommended.
That's not true. The shape of the lights are different. He probably has a 95-96 trunk so he needs to buy 95-96 lights are change the trunk.

:edit: as mazzivart already said. My bad.

What are you talking about how long do you have left?
Old 01-30-2007, 05:39 PM

No it's just the 95-96 lights on a 99 trunk and back. It already looks off because the 95-96's are on it. This is what I meant:

The stock 95-96's on the left and the new tail (for this case the 95-96 CE tails) The review for that install said it came with a wiring harness. I just have the tail itself. I don't think I would need anything extra would I?
Old 01-30-2007, 05:46 PM

Here is the new tail, compared to the setup ofthe stock 95-96 tail above

Old 01-30-2007, 05:47 PM

Those are the outside tails. Those will fit no matter what year. The inner tails are what is different because of the trunk. You can't mix tails so you need to make sure you get a full set of tails, inside and out for 97-99 if thats what you want.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:54 PM

I'm sorry if I'm not making my question clear. The white "board" where all the bulbs are attached to can just be taken out and put on the new tail I bought? I tried to change them this past weekend when it was 15 degrees outside and didn't have patience to look things through. At first I thought I would just see wires and bulbs that can placed in the new tail, but instad I saw the bulbs attached to the white "board" (don't know what to call it)

Call me a noob but this is my first time doing this stuff to a Maxima.. just need some help along the way.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:01 PM

I don't know if those can be changed. It doesn't look like the white plate can go on the new tail. The new tail has spots for the bulbs already. I don't know what kind of harness was supposed to come with them but you might need that.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
I don't know if those can be changed. It doesn't look like the white plate can go on the new tail. The new tail has spots for the bulbs already. I don't know what kind of harness was supposed to come with them but you might need that.
then that is indeed the problem I am facing...
Old 01-31-2007, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by ajh624
then that is indeed the problem I am facing...
No you dont have a problem at all. You are confusing the outer tails and the inner tails. The outer one has the 3 holes where the harnesses will fit into. The inner tails have the white board with the lights on them and snap into the new tails.
I have the Ebay version but are the same basic thing. You seem to have a 95 96 trunk on your 99 and that is why you are not able to put the new inner tails on. My advise is to attempt to sell the 97 to 99 tails and buy the same ones for a 95 96 max instead.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:05 PM

18X9 with +24 offset?

Will these work on my max? And if so what would I need to get them to work and what size tire am I looking at. I am completely stock right now, but I plan on doing a H&R spring with Illumina shocks soon. Thanks
Old 02-01-2007, 06:34 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by mikey chalupa
Will these work on my max?
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=244080 Do the math.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:52 AM

Does anyone know where the fuse is located for the corner/parking lights. In the engine the fuse box cover says "corner lamp" but when you open it up, there is no fuse. I am lost.

1997 Maxima SE
Old 02-03-2007, 08:14 AM

ok here's what's going on. After all of your feedback I set out to change the lights this morning. I bought the outer 99 red/clear tails off ebay to put on my 99 Maxima with the 99 trunk and back because the previous owner had the 95-96 outer tails on them. Everything is a 99 except for the outer tails which are 95-96. I just wanted to make that clear as there was some confusion to the set up I have form the above posts.

The picture above shows the 95-96 tail on the left and the new tail on the right. How can I get the bulbs to work on the new tail? I took apart the "white board" housing that the bulbs are attached too but then I had problems with securing the bulbs on the new tail and also placing the ground. I do not know what I am doing at all as I just thought it would be an easy switch. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me out or would like to sell me some 97-99 tails?
Old 02-03-2007, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisD
Does anyone know where the fuse is located for the corner/parking lights. In the engine the fuse box cover says "corner lamp" but when you open it up, there is no fuse. I am lost.

1997 Maxima SE
I can't remember what fuse it is exactly but I know its not just the corner lamps. I believe the fuse runs all front lights. Keep looking on the fuse readout and look for anything that has lights. I believe it was on the left row. I'll try to get back to you with the correct one tonight.

Quick Reply: NOOBIES: The "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread...