4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

NOOBIES: The "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
So you see smoke in the interior?
Yes I do, smoke comes out of the steering wheel where the airbag cover is.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:07 PM

I would some additional power sources, I need to know where is the best 12v power source to start with? I'm just running an XM receiver and cell charger right now, but who knows whats in the future (laptop, nav, radar detec) so I'm guessing somewhere in the underhood fuse box for that kind of reliable power. Since this is going to be the deepest I've ever gone into auto electrical stuff so any more tips or info would be awesome. Thanks
Old 08-19-2006, 04:01 PM

I just got my maxima less than a month ago and the tires are getting a little low on tread, so I was wondering what all-season tires would give me the most bang for my buck. Snow WILL be a issue (Minnesota has the white stuff for 5+ months), and price needs to be reasonable because I can barely pay for my books.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Today my '97 5-spd Max started to make a noise best characterized as a pulsing, rubbing/grinding noise. It comes and goes -- it seems to happen most when the steering wheel is turned to the left, but it sometimes makes that noise going straight, too. The frequency of the noise changes with speed -- the slower the car is moving, the slower the noise is, if that makes sense.

It isn't very loud and it's difficult to pinpoint a source, but it seems like it's coming out of the left front.

Tires are great, and it steers, accelerates, and brakes normally. I don't think a brake is dragging. The suspension is in good condition.

My limited auto experience suggests that it's the CV joint. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:30 PM
I support for what?

Originally Posted by JKetzer
Today my '97 5-spd Max started to make a noise best characterized as a pulsing, rubbing/grinding noise. It comes and goes -- it seems to happen most when the steering wheel is turned to the left, but it sometimes makes that noise going straight, too. The frequency of the noise changes with speed -- the slower the car is moving, the slower the noise is, if that makes sense.

It isn't very loud and it's difficult to pinpoint a source, but it seems like it's coming out of the left front.

Tires are great, and it steers, accelerates, and brakes normally. I don't think a brake is dragging. The suspension is in good condition.

My limited auto experience suggests that it's the CV joint. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Check the inner and outer cv joints to see if they are busted open. Check the wheel bearings. Jack the car up and wiggle the wheel.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:31 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

Originally Posted by rzua5

i have smoke that somes out of my a$$ once in a while but not the steering wheel is that bad

j/k what does the smoke smell like ? electrical burning ? oil burning ? (no you cant say my a$$
Old 08-19-2006, 07:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What size lowering springs to use.

I purchased a 1998 Maxima GXE which already had lowering springs and larger wheels on it. It has Kumho 711 235/45R17 tires on it. The springs the previous owner put on it are very cheap and they didn't replace the stock struts so it has blown out the struts. I want to replace the springs and struts but I'm not sure what size lowering springs to get. I have about 2 inches clerance in front and about 3 inches in the rear. Could someone suggest how much lowering I need for the wheels I have and some good springs and struts. Or should I go with coilovers. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks Don
Old 08-19-2006, 08:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by donbryan1970
I purchased a 1998 Maxima GXE which already had lowering springs and larger wheels on it. It has Kumho 711 235/45R17 tires on it. The springs the previous owner put on it are very cheap and they didn't replace the stock struts so it has blown out the struts. I want to replace the springs and struts but I'm not sure what size lowering springs to get. I have about 2 inches clerance in front and about 3 inches in the rear. Could someone suggest how much lowering I need for the wheels I have and some good springs and struts. Or should I go with coilovers. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks Don
There are tons and tons of threads on this subject, but the consensus seems to be to go with H&R or Eibach springs and KYB AGX or Tokico Illumina shocks for the basic setup. That will drop it just enough so you don't look like a 4X4, but not so much that you're riding the bump stops all the time. The seemingly most popular combo is Illumina/H&R, but I have AGX/Eibachs and I'm not complaining. Check the GB/GD (group buy/group discount) area to see if anyone is running specials on those combos. If you want to slam your car (lower it more than 2"), then the best way, I think, is with coilovers, but those are $$$.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks ManualMaxFan I appreciate the info.

Another question:

I have a 98 GXE and when I purchased it the previous owner had taken the automatic transmission out and put a 5-speed in it. They didn't attached the clutch pedal correctly so the pedal braket was loose. I reattached it so it wasn't loose but when I tried to shift from 1st to second it grinds if I get above 2000 rpms. I've tried to adjust the clutch pedal and it still won't fix it. I'm not sure why it only does it from 1st to 2nd. I don't won't to sound like I'm new to working on cars I'm just new to doin the tuner car thing. Please someone help me. It's drivin me up the wall.

I have tried bleeding the clutch. It only makes the noise between 1st and 2nd if your over 2000 rpms

Why would it start this grinding all of a sudden? I just tightened up my bracket the clutch pedal was attached to. It was fine before then.

Thanks

Don
Old 08-20-2006, 05:26 AM
Kevlo for President

I have a 98 GXE and when I purchased it the previous owner had taken the automatic transmission out and put a 5-speed in it. They didn't attached the clutch pedal correctly so the pedal braket was loose. I reattached it so it wasn't loose but when I tried to shift from 1st to second it grinds if I get above 2000 rpms. I've tried to adjust the clutch pedal and it still won't fix it. I'm not sure why it only does it from 1st to 2nd. I don't won't to sound like I'm new to working on cars I'm just new to doin the tuner car thing. Please someone help me. It's drivin me up the wall.

I have tried bleeding the clutch. It only makes the noise between 1st and 2nd if your over 2000 rpms

Why would it start this grinding all of a sudden? I just tightened up my bracket the clutch pedal was attached to. It was fine before then.

Thanks

Don
So it makes no noise shifting into 3-4?(or any other gears)
Old 08-20-2006, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by olsona5
I just got my maxima less than a month ago and the tires are getting a little low on tread, so I was wondering what all-season tires would give me the most bang for my buck. Snow WILL be a issue (Minnesota has the white stuff for 5+ months), and price needs to be reasonable because I can barely pay for my books.
yes they will, brand and price are up to you, ive used cooper cobras in the past, good price, i have kumo ectas right now, also good price.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
So it makes no noise shifting into 3-4?(or any other gears)

Have you tried bleeding the clutch?
im betting synchros
Old 08-20-2006, 08:37 AM
Fire in the hole!

Remote lock and unlock question...

Is there a way to wire the turn signal lights to flash once when the car is unlocked from using the remote?

And why is it that my windows will roll down if I press and hold the unlock button, but there's no way to roll them back up with the remote?

A horn signal would be nice too, for when it's locked, using the remote.

I know my way around a car and some electricals, but I guess I just need to know if there's a way to add this to the car's stock security system.

--Evan
Old 08-20-2006, 12:15 PM

I don't know if any of you have had problems with your speakers giving you annoying feedback, but it could be your cell phone.

It seemed for a while that my speakers would just act up randomly until one day on a long road trip it got very annoying, my cousin said the same thing happened in his car. He said when he had it sitting directly under the stereo he would get feedback.

Since I have never heard of this problem I thought I would put it out there, hopefully nobody else is as dumb as me.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:28 PM

Shifter Concerns.

Hi! I have a 97 Maxima and recently replaced the clutch kit with a 5th Gen kit. What a difference from my old clutch. I am very happy with the new clutch. I have a few concerns regarding the shifter.

Here are my concerns:
  • I hear a noise coming from the shifter, like metal scraping or grinding, a whirling noise or something like that. The shifter also shakes... Is it suppose to do that?
  • When I am in 5th gear and need to suddenly slow down, I go into neutral, brake and when it's safe for me to get back in gear, (at this time, the traffic miraculously picks up within seconds from the time I put the car into neutral, the rpm are REFLECTING low between 2-3, my baby won't let me shift into 4 or 3 from neutral and RPMs appear too low to go back into 5th). I re-enage the clutch and sometimes it lets me shift in 4 or 3 but, the revs FEEL too high, it catches but hesitates to move forward where if someone is not paying attn, I can be easily rear ended. This just started to happen two weeks ago.

Maybe I am doing something wrong when I have to suddenly slow down because there are cars ahead of me suddenly slowing down in a domino effect. This only happens when I am in 5th gear.

I hope you understood my concern. Any and all input is highly appreciated.

Thank you!!!!

Mischief
Old 08-20-2006, 01:33 PM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by Chefasaurus
Is there a way to wire the turn signal lights to flash once when the car is unlocked from using the remote?

And why is it that my windows will roll down if I press and hold the unlock button, but there's no way to roll them back up with the remote?

A horn signal would be nice too, for when it's locked, using the remote.

I know my way around a car and some electricals, but I guess I just need to know if there's a way to add this to the car's stock security system.

--Evan

1. No
2. Can't roll them up
3. Check the HowTo's sticky on how to add a "beeper" so it beeps or honks or w/e you install when you press lock.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:15 PM
Kevlo for President

Loosen it and see if it goes away
Old 08-20-2006, 09:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

acceleration and idle

Hi. I posted this on the i30 section but havent gotten any responses. Sorry for reposting, but i really need some help. the car is staring to feel really bad and i would like some opinions before i bring it into a shop. This was my post:
I got a 96 i30 with 140,000 miles recently. When I first got the car, it drove perfectly fine and smooth. After a while, the car started to idle and accelerate kind of rough. The car would not accelerate as well with a slight vibration in the pedal and I would have to push the rpm's higher to make the car go as fast as it did in the beginning. The transmission would also shift harder. After 3000 miles, i got an oil change, changed the air filter and the car was smooth as silk. After a few hundred miles, the same thing started happening. I got an oil change 2000 miles later, and the car was fine again. A few hundred miles later which is now, the car is rough againwith vibratinos in the pedal. The car gets noticeably worse if i push the car past 3,000 rpms, especially to 4,000 rpms. I've been checking the site for a while and havent really found anything about this. The guy that changes my oil tells me every time i see him that i need an engine flush. I tried searching on that topic but keep getting an error. I drive bout 80-90 miles a day with about 70 being city miles so i dont know if that's a factor. Any thoughts or tips would be great. Thanks
Old 08-21-2006, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Kazoo
I already took everything apart and it was not too bad. Actually all I am going to do is swap the tach. I will save all the other gages just in case another one goes bad. The mileage is another 100,000 over what the car has now so I don't want to use it. But what I will need help on is removal of the needle just in case it is not the same as my stock cluster. I have the white gages with black needles. But I thought I read somewhere that the white gages have red needles. So if they are not the same I will need to swap them. So if you can let me know how to removed them without killing them that would be great.

Thanks,

John

Well got the old cluster and pulled the tach out. The tach and the needle was the same color as my old one. Put it in my cluster and hooked everyhting up. Now everything works perfectly. So the next thing I need to tackle is the sun roof. One of the tracks is broken. So thanks for the help with the tach.

John
Old 08-21-2006, 04:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Gears Grinding

I have a 98 Maxima GXE. When I bout it the previous owner had replaced the auto trans with a 5-speed. The braket that holds the clutch pedal wasn't installed properly so it was very loose. About 6 months after I bought it the braket broke. I re-welded the break and reinstalled the clutch pedal and bracket. Now when I shift from 1st to 2nd it grinds if I get above 2000 rpm's. It did not do this until I reinstalled the bracket. The pedal isn't loose anymore and I have bled the clutch to make sure no air is in the line but it still keeps doing it. I have made adjustments at the pedal for the clutch master cylinder and it still will not fix it. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks
Old 08-21-2006, 04:22 PM

I need a wiring diagram for a 1998 december bose HU .

Any one help me out since i cannot find it in the fsm.

Old 08-22-2006, 04:35 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by 873000
I need a wiring diagram for a 1998 december bose HU .

Any one help me out since i cannot find it in the fsm.
The audio & electronics section has wiring diagrams in the stickies.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:41 AM
What was that?

Originally Posted by Nyczhutpao
Hi. I posted this on the i30 section but havent gotten any responses. Sorry for reposting, but i really need some help. the car is staring to feel really bad and i would like some opinions before i bring it into a shop. This was my post:
I got a 96 i30 with 140,000 miles recently. When I first got the car, it drove perfectly fine and smooth. After a while, the car started to idle and accelerate kind of rough. The car would not accelerate as well with a slight vibration in the pedal and I would have to push the rpm's higher to make the car go as fast as it did in the beginning. The transmission would also shift harder. After 3000 miles, i got an oil change, changed the air filter and the car was smooth as silk. After a few hundred miles, the same thing started happening. I got an oil change 2000 miles later, and the car was fine again. A few hundred miles later which is now, the car is rough againwith vibratinos in the pedal. The car gets noticeably worse if i push the car past 3,000 rpms, especially to 4,000 rpms. I've been checking the site for a while and havent really found anything about this. The guy that changes my oil tells me every time i see him that i need an engine flush. I tried searching on that topic but keep getting an error. I drive bout 80-90 miles a day with about 70 being city miles so i dont know if that's a factor. Any thoughts or tips would be great. Thanks
Never heard of an engine flush. Give the car a tune up and see if it helps. Clean out the throttle body and change all fluids.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:42 AM
Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by QuiksilverMusic
Ok, so i have a question. I bought these Mille Miglia EV-S 19's that have a different bolt setting than what my maxima has. So im going to buy a hub kit for all of it and what not. Do you think it would be worth it to keep my stock rims even though with the new hub kit they will not fit? Or should i just sell them?

all the hub kit is..is a set of wheels spacers with studs in them with a differernt botl pattern that u can take on and off in about 5 min.... so keep your stocks for winter of full size spare
Old 08-22-2006, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaSE96
all the hub kit is..is a set of wheels spacers with studs in them with a differernt botl pattern that u can take on and off in about 5 min.... so keep your stocks for winter of full size spare
sweet. thanks
Old 08-22-2006, 07:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Starting Problems

It sucks not having access to the search function, being a maxima.org forum newbie, but im sure its best for the forum. My question as follows: I have a friend with a 95 maxima, automatic tranny. The car will not turn over every time she tries to crank it. Sounds to me like the neutral safety switch. I have not had the opportunity to look at it yet, before i look at the car i want to be armed with as much information as i possible. I know the check engine light is on, as it was always on before, with a o2 sensor code showing, im sure it is possible to have more than that one code on it now, but like i said i havent looked at the car yet, just from the symptom of intermitten turning over problem i believe it to be the neutral safety switch. I dont know much about maximas except they have a sweet 3.0 in the gen 4s. Looking for information from the valuable informative people of this forum.

thanks and have a great day!
Old 08-22-2006, 07:49 AM
What's next!?..

Originally Posted by rzua5
Sounds like you may have an electrical short circuit somewhere in the steering column or under the driver side dash.

Maybe a loose wire is hitting something it shouldn't while you're driving due to road bumps/vibration.

I'd take it to a good shop to have it checked out asap. Don't want to have a fire in your car.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:01 AM
What's next!?..

Originally Posted by tj00xj91
It sucks not having access to the search function, being a maxima.org forum newbie, but im sure its best for the forum. My question as follows: I have a friend with a 95 maxima, automatic tranny. The car will not turn over every time she tries to crank it. Sounds to me like the neutral safety switch. I have not had the opportunity to look at it yet, before i look at the car i want to be armed with as much information as i possible. I know the check engine light is on, as it was always on before, with a o2 sensor code showing, im sure it is possible to have more than that one code on it now, but like i said i havent looked at the car yet, just from the symptom of intermitten turning over problem i believe it to be the neutral safety switch. I dont know much about maximas except they have a sweet 3.0 in the gen 4s. Looking for information from the valuable informative people of this forum.

thanks and have a great day!
There could be a quite a few possibilties here, but the most common one to check first I'd say is the starter motor. If it's original, then most likely the grease inside it has dried up. It's usually a problem when the car's been sitting for several hours and is still cold. see www.motorvate.ca for more info.

O2 sensor failure is pretty common with 4th gens. Easy enough to change and shouldn't be the cause of the starting issue.

Come back if you pull any more codes from the ECU.
Note: An O2 sensor failure will usually trigger a knock sensor code too. Just change the O2 sensor first, reset the ECU, and see if the KS code comes back.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:20 AM
What's next!?..

Originally Posted by Nyczhutpao
Hmm..interesting that it runs smooth for a little while after each oil change.

Do you know when was the last major tune-up?

I believe an engine flush is when they put some sort of oil detergent in the engine, let it run for 10-15min, then flush it all out, and fill with new oil. They sell the stuff at autoparts stores.

If it were me, I would do a complete tuneup, check all the ignition coils, replace sparkplugs (NGK only!), clean MAF sensor, clean the throttle body, and get all the fluids flushed and replaced. (coolant, tranny, steering, brake, engine oil)

Most of that work you could do yourself to save some money. See the 4th Gen How To sticky.

That should get rid of some of the possible causes and get you started on a clean slate.

Good luck.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:16 PM

Is it just me or does anyone else think that the stock horn on the 4th gen maximas is pretty pathetic? I looked around and found a few replacements on a few sites, has anyone had any experience with replacing theirs? any advice on a good one?
Old 08-22-2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
The audio & electronics section has wiring diagrams in the stickies.

still cant find any thing , All of them are not for my hu .

Its a bose Model : PN-2261D December 1998

some one please help!

Old 08-22-2006, 01:34 PM
What's next!?..

Originally Posted by QuiksilverMusic
Is it just me or does anyone else think that the stock horn on the 4th gen maximas is pretty pathetic? I looked around and found a few replacements on a few sites, has anyone had any experience with replacing theirs? any advice on a good one?
Here's a few links:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....t=replace+horn

Old 08-22-2006, 05:14 PM

Awesome. Thanks JP
Old 08-22-2006, 05:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

No noise in 3-4 or any other gears
Old 08-23-2006, 04:40 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by 873000
still cant find any thing , All of them are not for my hu .

Its a bose Model : PN-2261D December 1998

some one please help!
Are you looking to retrofit it into your 87? There are wiring diagrams and pin-out descriptions in the FAQs at the top of the audio section...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=60393
Old 08-23-2006, 05:04 AM

Can anyone assist me with my shifter concerns?

Thank you.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:18 AM

2 or 3 gauge pillar pod

Hey guys,
where can I find a good 2 or 3 gauge pillar pod? Also do they replace the A pillar or do they go over it glued on with double sided tape? I want to put in a oil pressure gauge because I like to see the oil pressure on my cars. I am not sure what other gauges to get yet but I will get something else. Thanks,

John
Old 08-23-2006, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Caracicatriz
Never heard of an engine flush. Give the car a tune up and see if it helps. Clean out the throttle body and change all fluids.
nissan dealerships do the engine flush, it is well worth the money. i do it twice a year. i say spring for it, its about 130.00
Old 08-23-2006, 09:43 AM

I have a 98 Maxima GXE. When I bout it the previous owner had replaced the auto trans with a 5-speed. The braket that holds the clutch pedal wasn't installed properly so it was very loose. About 6 months after I bought it the braket broke. I re-welded the break and reinstalled the clutch pedal and bracket. Now when I shift from 1st to 2nd it grinds if I get above 2000 rpm's. It did not do this until I reinstalled the bracket. The pedal isn't loose anymore and I have bled the clutch to make sure no air is in the line but it still keeps doing it. I have made adjustments at the pedal for the clutch master cylinder and it still will not fix it. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks

It's probably more than just the hydraulic system now. It could be your 2nd gear syncro is going/has gone out the door. You should have your transmission inspected by a reputable transmission shop...But before you do that, I'd suggest getting a transmission flush done, and throw some lucas in there to see if it stops the problem. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:55 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by Mischievous2at
Hi! I have a 97 Maxima and recently replaced the clutch kit with a 5th Gen kit.

Here are my concerns:
  • I hear a noise coming from the shifter, like metal scraping or grinding, a whirling noise or something like that. The shifter also shakes... Is it suppose to do that?
  • When I am in 5th gear and need to suddenly slow down, I go into neutral, brake and when it's safe for me to get back in gear, (at this time, the traffic miraculously picks up within seconds from the time I put the car into neutral, the rpm are REFLECTING low between 2-3, my baby won't let me shift into 4 or 3 from neutral and RPMs appear too low to go back into 5th). I re-enage the clutch and sometimes it lets me shift in 4 or 3 but, the revs FEEL too high, it catches but hesitates to move forward where if someone is not paying attn, I can be easily rear ended. This just started to happen two weeks ago.

Maybe I am doing something wrong when I have to suddenly slow down because there are cars ahead of me suddenly slowing down in a domino effect. This only happens when I am in 5th gear.
It is supposed to shake a little bit. If you feel it is excessive, check the condition of your transmission mounts.

Regarding the second part, it almost sounds like a slipping clutch. Are you sure that everything was re-assembled correctly? What about if you are in gear and just press the accellerator all the way to the floor- does the car accellerate smoothly, or do the RPM jump without a proper vehicle accelleration?

Quick Reply: NOOBIES: The "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread...