4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

NOOBIES: "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread. Read FIRST post BEFORE posting!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 07:25 PM

where is the brake line booster in my max? ( yes seafoam)

Last edited by phenryiv1; 06-30-2008 at 04:50 AM.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:12 PM

i have a 1997 GLE. the service engine soon light came on thursday night. i took it to get an oil change friday morning, and also asked the mechanic to check it out. the light was reset, and the problem was the knock sensor. the car has 108,000 miles. i got it 1,000 miles ago and i've been using regular. should i use premium?
also, say i have 1/4 tank left of regular gas. would it be okay to start using premium? or is mixing them bad?

another thing: the power seat on the driver's side reclines perfectly. however, it does not move forward or back. i can hear the motor, and only the right side of the seat moves less than 1 inch back and forth and the left right stays still. where could i get this fixed? and how much would it be?
Old 06-29-2008, 09:27 PM

Another thing:
I want to get 18" wheels for my 97 GLE. i will also get new tires to fit the wheels. i will probably take them to a mechanic to have them installed. will anything need to be adjusted to have the 18" wheels fit? (since the stock wheels are only 15")
Old 06-30-2008, 06:16 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by J RO 9
Another thing:
I want to get 18" wheels for my 97 GLE. i will also get new tires to fit the wheels. i will probably take them to a mechanic to have them installed. will anything need to be adjusted to have the 18" wheels fit? (since the stock wheels are only 15")
If you get the correct tire size, you should be fine.

i have a 1997 GLE. the service engine soon light came on thursday night. i took it to get an oil change friday morning, and also asked the mechanic to check it out. the light was reset, and the problem was the knock sensor. the car has 108,000 miles. i got it 1,000 miles ago and i've been using regular. should i use premium?
also, say i have 1/4 tank left of regular gas. would it be okay to start using premium? or is mixing them bad?

another thing: the power seat on the driver's side reclines perfectly. however, it does not move forward or back. i can hear the motor, and only the right side of the seat moves less than 1 inch back and forth and the left right stays still. where could i get this fixed? and how much would it be?
Find out what codes exactly were pulled. Also, just fill it up with premium.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:45 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by enik23
where is the brake line booster in my max? ( yes seafoam)

Do you know where the brake booster is? It is the 10mm hose that goes from the intake manifold to the brake booster, the hose runs along the firewall. Easy to see
Old 06-30-2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
If you get the correct tire size, you should be fine.

Find out what codes exactly were pulled. Also, just fill it up with premium.
Thank you.
My check engine light came on Thursday. When I got my oil change, my mechanic reset it. It came back on this morning so I went back to get the codes. They are as follows:
1 of 5: PO325 - Knock Sensor - Bank 1 or Sensor 1
2 of 5: PO440
3 of 5: PO446
4 of 5: PO325 (again)
5 of 5: PO446 (again)
The mechanic told me that the codes besides the knock sensor are emmissions related. I need to get an inspection soon. How much money will it cost to fix these things?
Also, I have a powertrain warranty on my car until september. Will the knock sensor be covered?

Last edited by J RO 9; 06-30-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:13 AM

another thing:
if you look at the pic in my sig, there is the dealer's sticker on the top left. how could i remove that? it is very tough and i do not want to peel off any paint on my car
Old 06-30-2008, 11:23 AM

The knock sensor is $180 at auto zone. I called my local STS tire/auto center and they said that they can install it for $39 and it would take about a half hour. Are there any catches/fees? Because I've heard that it costs a lot more to replace the knock sensor.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:42 AM
dot dot dot ...

Look at the classifieds on here or on ebay. 180$ for a KS is highway robbery. Spend enough time on here and you will see tht it is a fairly easy job.

Spend more time researching and less time posting questions if you are indeed interested in finding out common prices and looking up procedures on ho to DIY.

Unwanted decals are easily removed with a blow dryer and some Windex.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:36 PM

Look at the classifieds on here or on ebay. 180$ for a KS is highway robbery. Spend enough time on here and you will see tht it is a fairly easy job.

Spend more time researching and less time posting questions if you are indeed interested in finding out common prices and looking up procedures on ho to DIY.

Unwanted decals are easily removed with a blow dryer and some Windex.
The blow dryer worked wonders.Thanks
Sorry if my questions seem stupid, and if I'm asking too many. I am a first time car owner and I just turned 17 on Saturday. I'm not too good with cars.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:50 PM

I just bought my 99 SE yesterday and I have 2 questions:

1: the manual says minimum 91 fuel, is there any gain in using 93?
2: the hydraulics for the hood are bad, what should I choose junkyard or new?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-30-2008, 08:26 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by curiosul
I just bought my 99 SE yesterday and I have 2 questions:

1: the manual says minimum 91 fuel, is there any gain in using 93?
2: the hydraulics for the hood are bad, what should I choose junkyard or new?

Thanks in advance!
Not really a gain. Just best of you did. This subject as you probably know has been beat to death in the Fluids & Lubricants Sub-Forum. If you ever get bored, check it out. I would rather save the time of reading it and fill my cars up w/ 91 (high altitude so that's the max I can get up here). I went ahead and went for some AutoZone hood struts. Lifetime warranty. They go bad more often than the OEM Nissan units, but Autoone is just down the road, so

The blow dryer worked wonders.Thanks
Sorry if my questions seem stupid, and if I'm asking too many. I am a first time car owner and I just turned 17 on Saturday. I'm not too good with cars.
I understand, but yeah, doing a lot of research on here can work wonders. i was in the same boat as you years ago, and this site has sine helped me essentially take this car apart, and reassemble, wall while learning the ins & outs.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 06-30-2008 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Do you have any desire whatsoever to DIY?

HA! Not myself, maybe I could get my uncle to do it.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:26 AM

I called up my nissan dealer. He said that the knock sensor would not cause the check engine light to go on, and that he wouldn't recommend me to replace it. the vent control valve to fix PO446 would cost $227.01 with parts, labor, and tax. Is this a fair price?
Also, is PO440 just a gas cap problem? Because that's what I've been reading around here.

Last edited by J RO 9; 07-01-2008 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

1996 Maxima Compatibility

I have a 1996 Maxima, the block is cracked. I want to do an engine swap. We've done the before so no big deal, but I've heard so many different things about maximas and engine swap that I'm afraid to touch anything before I get more information. What, exactly, has to match from the donor vehicle to my vehicle? i.e.: VIN number, ECU number, transmission type, model year, etc. Please inform me of this immediately. We are trying to find, buy, and swap the engine in my two days off, which are today, Tuesday and Wednesday. If not now it will be seven days from now. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-01-2008, 07:14 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by pdudley11
I have a 1996 Maxima, the block is cracked. I want to do an engine swap. We've done the before so no big deal, but I've heard so many different things about maximas and engine swap that I'm afraid to touch anything before I get more information. What, exactly, has to match from the donor vehicle to my vehicle? i.e.: VIN number, ECU number, transmission type, model year, etc. Please inform me of this immediately. We are trying to find, buy, and swap the engine in my two days off, which are today, Tuesday and Wednesday. If not now it will be seven days from now. Thanks in advance!

Any vq30 from 95-99 should be an easy swap. Certain years might need egr swapping(95 and 99)
Old 07-01-2008, 07:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
Any vq30 from 95-99 should be an easy swap. Certain years might need egr swapping(95 and 99)
so ECU doesnt matter, and VIN number?
Old 07-01-2008, 08:25 AM

Sorry for all the questions lol
This should be my last one
I was getting a new gas cap from walmart, and when i came back home, backing into my driveway i hit my moms car. It was very slow, probably 1 or 2 MPH. My mom has a Rav4, so the damage was caused by the spare tire which is mounted on the back of the car.
Will this pass inspection? Or will I have to get a new one? Do I have to replace the entire tail light, or is there a way to replace just the cover?

Edit:
my local dealer told me it was $103. the same thing on ebay is $40-45 shipped. is it the same tail light? here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA:IT&ih=015

Last edited by J RO 9; 07-01-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:15 AM
dot dot dot ...

I was getting a new gas cap from walmart, and when i came back home, backing into my driveway i hit my moms car. It was very slow, probably 1 or 2 MPH. My mom has a Rav4, so the damage was caused by the spare tire which is mounted on the back of the car.
Will this pass inspection? Or will I have to get a new one? Do I have to replace the entire tail light, or is there a way to replace just the cover?
[IMG]tiny-nark-tailight.jpg[/IMG]

Edit:
my local dealer told me it was $103. the same thing on ebay is $40-45 shipped. is it the same tail light? here is the link:
Check your regional forum and see what inspections laws are. Better yet, call them and ask for yourself.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:18 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by pdudley11
VIN number, ECU number, transmission type, model year, etc. Please inform me of this immediately. We are trying to find, buy, and swap the engine in my two days off, which are today, Tuesday and Wednesday. If not now it will be seven days from now. Thanks in advance!
No way in heck are you going go match the VIN #
Tranny type doesn't matter, nor does year, nor ECU, since I'm assuming you already have an ECU.

All that matters is what Kevlo stated.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:38 AM

Edit:
Well now would be a good time to buy some red/clears off ebay and upgrade. Yes, the ebay tails work just as well as the OEM tails. You could probably even find a few members here that will sell you their old red/orange tails for next to nothing.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:51 AM

bought my 99 maxima 2 days ago and I still have some AC related questions:

When I bought it, the AC wasn't working, the seller told me it needs a recharge. I called some shops and he prices were from 150 and up. I went to Walmart and bought a recharge kit. I connected the kit to the AC line and the gauge showed something between LOW and CHARGED (~25 something - maybe PSI, I don't remember). I put one and a half bottles until the pressure reached the line between CHARGED and CAUTION (~45 something). Before, the air was just as cold/warm as outside, now it's cold but not impressively cold (my subjective opinion). Now the questions:
1: Is it normal that at 25 something the AC to be unusable and at 45 something to be usable (the difference in pressure seems small)
2: How effective is the Walmart kit?
3: Should/can I charge it more (past the CAUTION line)?
4: Should I try a different kit?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-01-2008, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Hexon
Well now would be a good time to buy some red/clears off ebay and upgrade. Yes, the ebay tails work just as well as the OEM tails. You could probably even find a few members here that will sell you their old red/orange tails for next to nothing.
thanks. i might go with the red/clear
are these good? :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...3756.m14.l1318

Last edited by J RO 9; 07-01-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:16 PM

thanks. i might go with the red/clear
are these good? :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...3756.m14.l1318
You do realize those are smoked, right? You can find just the outer red/clear lights on ebay as well, for cheaper. Then you can smoke them yourself, if that's what you are looking for. Or you can always get the OEM red/orange lights off ebay and then clear out the orange. You can find out how to do that in the stickies.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by curiosul
bought my 99 maxima 2 days ago and I still have some AC related questions:

When I bought it, the AC wasn't working, the seller told me it needs a recharge. I called some shops and he prices were from 150 and up. I went to Walmart and bought a recharge kit. I connected the kit to the AC line and the gauge showed something between LOW and CHARGED (~25 something - maybe PSI, I don't remember). I put one and a half bottles until the pressure reached the line between CHARGED and CAUTION (~45 something). Before, the air was just as cold/warm as outside, now it's cold but not impressively cold (my subjective opinion). Now the questions:
1: Is it normal that at 25 something the AC to be unusable and at 45 something to be usable (the difference in pressure seems small)
2: How effective is the Walmart kit?
3: Should/can I charge it more (past the CAUTION line)?
4: Should I try a different kit?

Thanks in advance!
IMO, you should've had the previous owner fix the AC before the sale. "It only needs a recharge" is the typical response from an ignorant or scheming seller. AC is a semi-complicated system. If you have no knowledge about how the system works, let a professional fix it for you. If you insist on trying to fix it yourself, don't charge it past the CAUTION line.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I called up my nissan dealer. He said that the knock sensor would not cause the check engine light to go on, and that he wouldn't recommend me to replace it. the vent control valve to fix PO446 would cost $227.01 with parts, labor, and tax. Is this a fair price?
Also, is PO440 just a gas cap problem? Because that's what I've been reading around here.
I had to replace my knock sensor last summer, that price was about what I paid to replace/repair it. The check engine light did go on for me. I got it checked out, and then the car stopped on me like a month later or so. So I finally had to cave in a get it fixed.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:22 PM

there is an outer shell around the exhaust pipe that protects the exhaust pipe. it was loose and i actually pulled a piece out. the exhaust pipe has some rust on it.
do i need to replace to exhaust pipe? if so, how much would it cost?
Old 07-02-2008, 04:02 PM

I keep driving my old car one year after doing what you did and it's still fine. Unless you hear strange noises, I wouldn't worry about it!
Old 07-03-2008, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by DreamCatcher
I have a 1999 Nissan Maxima with 159000 miles on it.

The car was recently taken on a 600 mile round trip. When the car came back, it was sounding a little more "deeper" than usual- sounds more "meaner" for lack of a better word. I am sorry I cannot really describe it more! The difference in the sound is subtle, but I have been driving the vehicle since 1 year, so even a subtle change in sound is noticeable to me. If I sold the car now to someone, they won't find anything wrong with the sound.

Essentially, the exhaust sounds louder, but in a lower pitch (as if it's got more bass).

The car works great- just the way it used to before the sound changed. I recently had the alternator belt tightened but the mechanic didn't really say anything bad about the engine (not that I asked him to look over it).

Pardon me, I am a total idiot when it comes to the mechanics in a car, so I was wondering if you folks could tell me if there may be something to be concerned about, and if I should pay 100 bucks to get it checked out.

I do understand that I haven't given a lot for you all to work with, so please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher
I did a quick visual inspection, but nothing seemed abnormal. It could be possible that the puncture/damage is very small, and needs to be thoroughly checked to get an idea.

Any other possible reasons as to why I may be having the problem- if it is not the exhaust?

Thanks for your help!

Sorry for being nagging, but I would really appreciate if someone could give me any more ideas as to what could possibly be wrong with the vehicle.

Thanks a lot!
Old 07-03-2008, 12:40 AM
dot dot dot ...

If it acts up again, let us know. Until then,
Old 07-03-2008, 12:46 AM

have u checked all ur exhaust joints and stuff, could be just a minor exhaust leak!
Old 07-03-2008, 01:16 PM

At first I had roaring engine sound when I was going between 78Mph and 83Mph. Than some time later my ignition coil went bad, now after replacing it at the same speed range I don't have any extra sound, however steering wheel and hwole car shakes. As soon as I go beyond 83Mph it all goes back to normal. So far I've replaced my front brake rotors, but that did not help. Any suggestions?
Old 07-03-2008, 01:28 PM
dot dot dot ...

Tire balance / alignment / new tires.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:05 PM

I looked at the tutorials to change the knock sensor but my engine looks different - there's something else blocking the (already) small passage ... I'll post pictures later. I suspect it's Cal spec ... if so, how bad is my situation?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I can't post pics (yet) so I post a link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/126931294/pics.zip.html

Please help???

Last edited by curiosul; 07-03-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:07 AM

Ok i need a website that sells cefiro parts? can anyone help?
Old 07-04-2008, 11:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

97 GXE. Car started flickering panel indicator lights, and shutting off when I hit brakes and any kind of power load was applied.

Replaced battery and fix terminal wires, and car is dead. Not even the interior lights show signs of life. There is absolutely no ticking, clicking, lights, nothing....

Any ideas ?

Thanks
Old 07-05-2008, 06:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

**UPDATE**

Reinstalled new battery and lights came in... What's up with that. ECU resetting itself ?

No sign of life yesterday with 2 batteries and 18 hours later all good ??? confused
Old 07-05-2008, 04:12 PM
dot dot dot ...

How are your grounds?
Old 07-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by mustanghater
Ok i need a website that sells cefiro parts? can anyone help?
the Cefiro is the Infiniti I30.....if you want more info look in the i30 area.......

But other than body panels most every part on the maxima and the I30 are interchangeable......
Old 07-07-2008, 12:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anyone else have a problem with the HID a little out of position? they seem to be pointing down, i can only get a good view about 10 ft in front.. is that normal?

Quick Reply: NOOBIES: "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread. Read FIRST post BEFORE posting!