4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I've got to vent...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 02:20 PM
I'm so hood

For a time update, I bought my maxi last wednesday. They serviced it on the Monday before that and put in new rear shocks and brakes. It is now Monday, and the new shocks they put in were defective. I took it up there today and told them they were leaking oil all over the place, and the car rode like they weren't there.

So they call me later in the day and leave a message:
"Yea, when we inspected it, we found those rear shocks were leaking quite a bit of oil! We put an order in for a new pair of shocks, she's ready for you to pick her up this afternoon!"

Order? New shocks?? Come on...I had my pops call them up for leverage purposes (nobody levels with a 20-year-old kid)..."Yea, we're out, and can't find any around in the area. It'll be 3-5 days to get a new pair."

*puts his head in his hands*...I can't even drive my maxi more than a fuccing week after I bought it. Not to mention all of the other nasty luck that's been popping up at work/home/etc in the past week and a half. ARG! Had to vent.

At least I'm not leaving there today without getting a loaner. And you can be sure I'll be reeeeeal careful to take reeeeeeal good care of it.
Old 08-06-2001, 02:23 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by blizz20oma

At least I'm not leaving there today without getting a loaner. And you can be sure I'll be reeeeeal careful to take reeeeeeal good care of it.

That's the entire reason that they give you a loaner...so you can vent your frustrations.

Don't sweat it too hard. Just dont give them a 3rd chance to fix it.
Old 08-06-2001, 02:27 PM

Hope this helps

Sounds like you need to have a daily affirmation.

Just look in the mirror and say:
I'm smart enough...
I'm good enough...
And gosh darn it, people like me.

Old 08-06-2001, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg

Nah, let them do it a third time if needed. If they fail three times, you can make them take it back under the lemon law. Or at least, that's how it works in Texas.
Old 08-06-2001, 02:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

damn, that sux man! when i bought mine back in april, one of the first things i said to my sis and my cousin was "if those lil punk kids egg my car im gonna be openin a f*ckin barrell of whoop a$$!!" (theres some kids in my neighborhood that like to egg cars) well, less than two days went by b4 the kids egged my car! i was sooooooo ****ed! it wasnt as bad as your deal, i mean, i could still drive mine, but i couldnt believe that i didnt even have it for a week and they egged it! i havent done anything to the kids yet, cuz i cant prove they did it...
Old 08-06-2001, 02:52 PM

That sux man. Hope they get it fixed good.
Old 08-06-2001, 03:08 PM
I'm so hood

Yea, as soon as they get the car driveable, afa the shocks go, that's the last time they're seeing that car. A friend's family is good friends of the family with the lady that owns the dealership actually. She's getting a letter from me personally hand-delivered by my friend...

Lemon law I think here is 4 times, but it has to be a car that's 2 years old or newer.

Sounds like you need to have a daily affirmation
haha...I *do* have a daily affirmation...however, it involves my good lady Mary Jane

ShortT - that's sh1tty, have they gotten it again since then? I hate it how in some neighborhoods, there's one batch of rotten apples that makes you have to garage/cover your car. Where I live, my old stock 91 Integra got broken into this year, and someone messed up the paint, broke my window, and stole a shoddy $100 CD player (And not the $130 oakleys or the $600 worth of stereo eq in the trunk...). After that I cleared out a garage spot for myself. My rents don't argue about it anymore, since my maxi's the nicest car in the fam

thanks, I can feel your guys' sympathy. I just wanna drive my new maxi!
Old 08-06-2001, 06:02 PM
I'm so hood

Man, they wouldn't give me the loaner because I'm 20 and not 21. Looks like I'll end up driving my 'rents doggy AM/FM-only 94 accord EX. Could be worse

I told my moms to go over some curbs/medians for me in the loaner 01 sentra GXE.

They claim the maxi should be ready on Wed or Thurs. :/
Old 08-06-2001, 06:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mzmtg

That's the entire reason that they give you a loaner...so you can vent your frustrations.

Hehe, I beat the hell out of that Altima loaner.
Old 08-06-2001, 06:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by deezo

Hehe, I beat the hell out of that Altima loaner.
Deezo: You should be kind to your Maxima's cousins, when I got a Camary loaner from my insurance company, I said to my self, now this is a car I can be proud of beating the hell out of!

Blizz: Good luck with your car!
Old 08-06-2001, 09:38 PM

Sounded to me like the dealer ordered your shocks and told you that you drive your car in the meantime until they get the shipment in. So, what is the big deal? Did you expect them to have shocks in stock? It's not a common replacement item. You can actually drive the car with blown shocks. It won't ride well, but if you take it easy you can drive it for a week until they get the parts in. It seems to me that you just misunderstood it when the dealer told you what they were going to do.
Old 08-07-2001, 06:30 AM
I'm so hood

Eric - they didn't seem to be out of stock last week when they fixed them during their inspection. Shocks aren't a common item in stock, and aren't a common item to be replaced? In cars around 100-110k, I would think this would be common (at least not rare). It seems silly to me to have someone wait a week on a repair job that takes a half hour.

Yea, I could have driven it in the meantime, but the car was moving side-to-side and almost spinning out, it was so loose (at 35-40mph). Knowing my luck, I'd try to drive it and would spin out into & total some porsche.
Old 08-07-2001, 06:59 AM

Originally posted by ionicmax

Deezo: You should be kind to your Maxima's cousins, when I got a Camary loaner from my insurance company, I said to my self, now this is a car I can be proud of beating the hell out of!

Blizz: Good luck with your car!
Are you kidding? I HATE THE ALTIMA. I don't like anything about it. Except that the 2002 will be a monster... But that only brings me the hope that the Max will go RWD soon...
Old 08-07-2001, 07:05 AM

Originally posted by Eric L.
Sounded to me like the dealer ordered your shocks and told you that you drive your car in the meantime until they get the shipment in. So, what is the big deal? Did you expect them to have shocks in stock? It's not a common replacement item. You can actually drive the car with blown shocks. It won't ride well, but if you take it easy you can drive it for a week until they get the parts in. It seems to me that you just misunderstood it when the dealer told you what they were going to do.
You wouldn't happen to work at a dealership, would you?
Old 08-07-2001, 07:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yea, as soon as they get the car driveable, afa the shocks go, that's the last time they're seeing that car. A friend's family is good friends of the family with the lady that owns the dealership actually. She's getting a letter from me personally hand-delivered by my friend...

Lemon law I think here is 4 times, but it has to be a car that's 2 years old or newer.

haha...I *do* have a daily affirmation...however, it involves my good lady Mary Jane

ShortT - that's sh1tty, have they gotten it again since then? I hate it how in some neighborhoods, there's one batch of rotten apples that makes you have to garage/cover your car. Where I live, my old stock 91 Integra got broken into this year, and someone messed up the paint, broke my window, and stole a shoddy $100 CD player (And not the $130 oakleys or the $600 worth of stereo eq in the trunk...). After that I cleared out a garage spot for myself. My rents don't argue about it anymore, since my maxi's the nicest car in the fam

thanks, I can feel your guys' sympathy. I just wanna drive my new maxi!

hey! no those punk kids havent gotten my car again since, but i was parkin it by the side of our house for the longest time... id park in the garage, but theres too much **** in there... anyways, hope u get your car back soon man! i dont think i could go too long without mine... id have withdrawals...
Old 08-07-2001, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by medicsonic

You wouldn't happen to work at a dealership, would you?

Uh yeah you caught me! I own a Nissan dealership. In fact my last name is Nissan. Hehe just kidding.

What I was saying is that the dude who posted the thread above seemed to jump to conclusions that the dealer was trying to scam him. I was merely replying that I did not think it was unusual for the dealer to need to order parts when doing a warranty repair. In fact, with all the warranty work on my Maxima, the dealer has had to order the replacement part, and it usually takes less than a week to get it in. Even when my alternator broke, stranding the car, they did not have one in stock. Luckily, I have unlimited towing with AAA, so I just had the car towed to another Nissan dealership that had the part in stock.

And no, I don't think shocks are a common replacement part that the dealership would stock a lot of. Oil filters and spark plugs yes...but shocks are not routine maintenance. Maybe they will keep one set on hand, but reading the story above, they used that one set up when they replaced the rear shocks a few days earlier. So, if it really takes them three days to order the part (not unheard of), I don't see how it would be unreasonable if they did not have it in stock when the guy took his car in for warranty repair.

I am not just supporting the dealership here. In fact, I hate dealers. The only time I go to the Nissan dealer is for warranty work. All other times, I go to my trusy independent mechanic, or just do the work myself.
Old 08-07-2001, 11:30 AM

2002 Altima

Originally posted by SithMax

Are you kidding? I HATE THE ALTIMA. I don't like anything about it. Except that the 2002 will be a monster... But that only brings me the hope that the Max will go RWD soon...
If anyone gets motortrend magazine, make sure you read the article on the altima. They made the altima into a brother of the maxima rather than its little cousin. They got rid of that nasty ugly trunk, and put a sweet engine in it. Nissan is really showing what they are made of, i wonder if they have any drastic plans for an upcoming maxima, RWD would be nice. They have to do something, otherwise altimas and maximas will be fighting over the same buyers.
Old 08-07-2001, 12:04 PM

Re: 2002 Altima

Originally posted by 97MaximaSE-L

Nissan is really showing what they are made of, i wonder if they have any drastic plans for an upcoming maxima, RWD would be nice. They have to do something, otherwise altimas and maximas will be fighting over the same buyers.
Nissan = made entirely of NA sedans? .. eck! I wish Nissan would bring over some of the japanese turbo power they got over there, even if it was just one (ie, sylv or skyline), it'd be sweet. Every time I see something better of nissan's over in japan, it makes me dislike how they operate in North America even more ...

Screw demand, we want skylines!
Old 08-07-2001, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by speedy-t

Nah, let them do it a third time if needed. If they fail three times, you can make them take it back under the lemon law. Or at least, that's how it works in Texas.
The lemon law only applies to new cars, and since he is posting this in the 4th gen forum, I am assuming it's not a new car, but used.
Old 08-07-2001, 01:15 PM
I'm so hood

Yea, the lemon law here only applies to cars 2 years or newer.

Eric - well, another thing is when I was walking with the service dept manager, I said "Out of shocks, eh?" and he said "We have plenty of aftermarket shocks available, but nobody in the area has any OEM Nissan shocks in stock. And we need to replace these with OEM Nissan ones."
Since before, they did the job the same day as the inspection (this isn't warranty work, but routine inspection work to a car that they bought), there's a 95% chance they installed the 'aftermarket' shocks they have on stock. Regardless, the shocks failed practically immediately, and from what I know it's hard to improperly install a pair of shocks.
But now they've gone to saying "We HAVE to use OEM shocks", which is fine by me...I just would think somebody around would have a pair in stock. And I kind of wonder about the quality of these aftermarket shocks they put on people's cars normally.

I dont really think they're 'scamming' me, but I'm annoyed that I bought a car and a week later, it's still not driveable (unless all the driving I had to do was on residential streets), and that a new pair of shocks would be defective.
Old 08-07-2001, 01:18 PM

Yea, the lemon law here only applies to cars 2 years or newer.

Eric - well, another thing is when I was walking with the service dept manager, I said "Out of shocks, eh?" and he said "We have plenty of aftermarket shocks available, but nobody in the area has any OEM Nissan shocks in stock. And we need to replace these with OEM Nissan ones."
Since before, they did the job the same day as the inspection (this isn't warranty work, but routine inspection work to a car that they bought), there's a 95% chance they installed the 'aftermarket' shocks they have on stock. Regardless, the shocks failed practically immediately, and from what I know it's hard to improperly install a pair of shocks.
But now they've gone to saying "We HAVE to use OEM shocks", which is fine by me...I just would think somebody around would have a pair in stock. And I kind of wonder about the quality of these aftermarket shocks they put on people's cars normally.

I dont really think they're 'scamming' me, but I'm annoyed that I bought a car and a week later, it's still not driveable (unless all the driving I had to do was on residential streets), and that a new pair of shocks would be defective.

Yes they probably used the cheap aftermarket shocks on your car. So did your dealer give you an ETA on the OEM shocks? If you get them to commit to a specific date, it puts more pressure on them to deliver the goods.
Old 08-07-2001, 04:18 PM

Eric L. gotcha. Hell, I went to the Nissan dealership for spark plugs, and they were out of stock with the 5 heat range, they only had the 6 heat range ones. They REALLY don't keep anything in stock.
Old 08-07-2001, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
Eric L. gotcha. Hell, I went to the Nissan dealership for spark plugs, and they were out of stock with the 5 heat range, they only had the 6 heat range ones. They REALLY don't keep anything in stock.

I always buy my sparkplugs online...much cheaper that way. I bet Courtesy Nissan has plugs in stock all the time.