4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HELP! Dealer said I need a speedometer head..Anyone heard of this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2001, 09:06 PM

My girl took the max into the local dealership due to the check engine light coming on. I told her it was wasn't called for since I could do a self diagnostic, but I was asleep when she did it. Well, my speedometer has been acting funny and the other day my cruise control began to fail while I was in cruise control. The actual green CRUISE light on the dash started blinking. On the self diagnostic, I came up with a code of 05 05 which is the code for "all clear", so I'm not sure if the dealer is right. Now the dealer is saying that I need a new speedometer head which will cost $226.28 with $105 labor. Anyone have any idea what this is and if the dealer is just trying to screw me? Thanks for any help you guys may offer....
Old 09-04-2001, 07:35 AM

Originally posted by BluethingSE
My girl took the max into the local dealership due to the check engine light coming on. I told her it was wasn't called for since I could do a self diagnostic, but I was asleep when she did it. Well, my speedometer has been acting funny and the other day my cruise control began to fail while I was in cruise control. The actual green CRUISE light on the dash started blinking. On the self diagnostic, I came up with a code of 05 05 which is the code for "all clear", so I'm not sure if the dealer is right. Now the dealer is saying that I need a new speedometer head which will cost $226.28 with $105 labor. Anyone have any idea what this is and if the dealer is just trying to screw me? Thanks for any help you guys may offer....
Nissan dealers are honest and competent businessmen. They never try to screw a customer. Never.

If the Check Engine Light was on, the Engine Control Module stored one or more Diagnostic Trouble Codes for subsequent retrieval. If your readout got only DTC 0505 you may have inadvertently reset the ECM. Don't be embarassed, that has happened to plenty of people. Drive the car normally... the CEL will come back and you will have another opportunity to do a DTC readout.

The DTC(s) are an important clue to solving this mystery. The dealer may be right, and you need a new speedometer head. However, the problem could be a bad Vehicle Speed Sensor and the cost for replacing a VSS is less than $331.