4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Pulley questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 07:20 PM

Pulley questions...

Hello there,

Just this past weekend I was replacing my A/C belt and I realized the common crack in the rubber around the crank pulley. So I need to replace the pulley and to be honest I would prefer to go with an aftermarket pulley but I dont like the idea of underdriving my car. So what I want is just an aluminum lightweight stock size pulley. The thing is though the only one I can find is the $240 unorthodox pulley. Me personally I dont want to spend that crazy amount of money on a simple pulley. Maybe if it was a complete set I'd jump right on it but for one pulley thats a bit high in price for me personally.

So here is where I need your help... I have been looking around for other crank pulleys that are not under drive just lightweight pulleys for a 1996 Nissan Maxima with the VQ30DE engine. Like I have said the only one I can find thus far is the unorthodox one, However while searching I have seen some stock size lightweight aluminum pulleys for the VQ35DE maximas so what I am wondering is would the crank pulley from a VQ35DE maxima fit on a VQ30DE maxima engine? Also while I am at it I might as well ask if the pulley set for the VQ35DE 350z's will also fit onto the VQ30DE?

If anyone has any idea about the answers to any of these questions and would not mind informing me it would be greatly appreciated. I have searched and I am thinking from what I have read thus far it will work but I have not found a definite answer yet.

Thanks
Stephen
Old 02-18-2009, 07:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This is not an all-motor worthy topic.

You must use a VQ30 crank pully if you're using a VQ30 ECU. Simple as that. A VQ35 pulley will fit but it won't have the "teeth" that the VQ30 CPS (REF) is looking for.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
This is not an all-motor worthy topic.

You must use a VQ30 crank pully if you're using a VQ30 ECU. Simple as that. A VQ35 pulley will fit but it won't have the "teeth" that the VQ30 CPS (REF) is looking for.
I apologize next time I will post a thread about some guy trying to lie to people about his dyno numbers to make his car seem faster than it really is, cuz thats more of an all motor topic...... THANKS!!!
Old 02-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Blackmax1924
I apologize next time I will post a thread about some guy trying to lie to people about his dyno numbers to make his car seem faster than it really is, cuz thats more of an all motor topic...... THANKS!!!
It involved a very complicated swap into a chassis that was never meant to accept such a large motor, but thanks for playing.

Maybe I should have locked this one outright instead of actually providing a helpful answer.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:31 PM

If it's any help, just for comparison I had to replace my crankpulley/harmonic balancer (that's what that black rubber is I was told) and could only find one through a nissan dealer for $250. That was a few years back, but consider paying that amount for a OEM pulley. Have a great day!!
Old 02-18-2009, 09:12 PM

well replace it soon. the rubber that holds it togather seperated on my car, throwing the alt. belt, and the only reason my car was running was 2 ribs of the power steering belt that hadnt been eaten away by the pulley moving in. it was FUN trying to get that bolt off...... anyways have you price checked that stock crank pulley....they aint exactly cheap my friend.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
It involved a very complicated swap into a chassis that was never meant to accept such a large motor, but thanks for playing.

Maybe I should have locked this one outright instead of actually providing a helpful answer.
But it also isnt into a maxima now is it... 1 for me!
Originally Posted by WhiteMaxima9600
If it's any help, just for comparison I had to replace my crankpulley/harmonic balancer (that's what that black rubber is I was told) and could only find one through a nissan dealer for $250. That was a few years back, but consider paying that amount for a OEM pulley. Have a great day!!
Yea I ended up just biting the bullet and ordering a unorthodox stock diameter pulley from 2kracing.com as they were the place that offered it for the cheapest price I could find. I paid in total $213 I am satisfied with that considering the price for the stock one new...
Originally Posted by fishforlife2007
well replace it soon. the rubber that holds it togather seperated on my car, throwing the alt. belt, and the only reason my car was running was 2 ribs of the power steering belt that hadnt been eaten away by the pulley moving in. it was FUN trying to get that bolt off...... anyways have you price checked that stock crank pulley....they aint exactly cheap my friend.
I am not even driving my car with the pulley like that, it was the reason why my belt was squeeling, and when I was adjusting my belt and started it to make sure it was good it was making a really bad noise that I did not like at all. So until my pulley and crankshaft oil seal are here and installed on my car I will not be driving or even starting my car at all.

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-11-2009, 05:26 PM

My crank pulley separated from the harmonic balancer today, threw the belts and ruined my day. I need a new one, but don't want to spend a lot of money. Has anyone used OBX stuff before? They're like 75 bucks after shipping on ebay, much cheaper than oem.

I've removed and reinstalled the crank pulley on my mustang several times (not to mention the engine); so I have some experience with this type of repair. How easy is it to do on a 96 Maxima? Do I need anything special, other than the pulley tool? How accessible is the front main seal when the crank pulley is off.? If it's a quick fix I'll replace that at the same time.

thanks
Old 05-11-2009, 05:40 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Max95Max
My crank pulley separated from the harmonic balancer today, threw the belts and ruined my day. I need a new one, but don't want to spend a lot of money. Has anyone used OBX stuff before? They're like 75 bucks after shipping on ebay, much cheaper than oem.

I've removed and reinstalled the crank pulley on my mustang several times (not to mention the engine); so I have some experience with this type of repair. How easy is it to do on a 96 Maxima? Do I need anything special, other than the pulley tool? How accessible is the front main seal when the crank pulley is off.? If it's a quick fix I'll replace that at the same time.

thanks
Remove bolt, R&R pulley, replace bolt.

The front seal is right there behind the pulley. They never really leak. If yours isn't leaking, don't replace it; no reason to replace a perfectly working seal for no reason.

I'd just go with a used crank pulley. The UDP doesn't gain you virtually anything, and IMO it's got a lot more potential to cause problems.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:53 PM

Thanks for the reply, I won't replace the seal if it's not leaking, but I think it is. I'll have to really look at it when I get in there.

I don't want a udp, I just want a cheap stock-size replacement, but I can't find a used one near me on car-part. com

Will a pulley from a 1995 up through 1999 fit?
Old 05-11-2009, 05:56 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Max95Max
Thanks for the reply, I won't replace the seal if it's not leaking, but I think it is. I'll have to really look at it when I get in there.

I don't want a udp, I just want a cheap stock-size replacement, but I can't find a used one near me on car-part. com

Will a pulley from a 1995 up through 1999 fit?
'95-'01.

There are several part outs in the classifieds right now. Or check with Maxima_Joe.