4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

car will not go into gear

Old 03-22-2009, 06:22 AM
Turbo 3.5

car will not go into gear

ok I am have been having this problem, my car does not go into gear while the car is running. I have been adjusting the pedal every few weeks to a month and now I can not get into any gear while the car is running. the clutch does not fully disengage

I changed the master about 6months ago, changed the slave yesterday, drained the entire system and rebleed it no air bubbles

pedal is stiff, the little piston in the slave is moving but no gears, I have to start the car in gear with my foot on the brake cause is does not fully disengage and drive around in that gear

I am all out of idea's and will order a new clutch/psi plate and throw out bearing, since my old clutch has started to slip

any other idea's or suggestions, btw I can go thourgh every gear when the car is off

Old 03-22-2009, 07:19 AM
Maintenance Monster

If you bled the system and changed the slave, I suspect you need to set your clutch pedal to the normal adjustment. There should be no reason to adjust the clutch pedal on this car.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:24 AM
No more Maximas...

Why did you have to keep adjusting the pedal? Did the engagement point keep moving?

Where did you get the master from? Did you bench bleed it prior to installation?

It's most likely a hydraulic problem, but it's also possible that there's a physical problem with the pressure plate or clutch disc themselves.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:00 AM
Turbo 3.5

well when I replaced the tranny the finger did show signs of wear and I adjusted the pedal cause the car would not go into gear.

but adjusting it did not make a difference, well today I had to go to work and drove the car. I drove it in 2nd on the street and was going to just turn the car off and shift into 3rd and restart it for the highway but I was able to shift into 3rd and 4th no problem

got to work in the parking lot with the car a idle and guess what no gears again

I am thinking either the synchro's or the psi plate it bad
Old 03-22-2009, 08:04 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by t6378tp
well when I replaced the tranny the finger did show signs of wear and I adjusted the pedal cause the car would not go into gear.

but adjusting it did not make a difference, well today I had to go to work and drove the car. I drove it in 2nd on the street and was going to just turn the car off and shift into 3rd and restart it for the highway but I was able to shift into 3rd and 4th no problem

got to work in the parking lot with the car a idle and guess what no gears again

I am thinking either the synchro's or the psi plate it bad
The chances of every single one of your syncros going bad is unlikely, to say the least.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:19 AM
Turbo 3.5

Originally Posted by pmohr
The chances of every single one of your syncros going bad is unlikely, to say the least.
so your suggesting the fingers on the psi plate maybe

I am most likely going to order a clutch tomorrow and hope this solves the problem
Old 03-22-2009, 10:55 AM

Id say its your pressure plate. IF you have indeed bleed the system and your still having problems, its possible, maybe you broke one of the fingers on your pressure plate.

The chance of every synchro going bad at the same time is very very un likely to happen.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Turbo 3.5

well this is the clutch I will mostly likely buy just have to call act to confirm that pedal stiffness

Part #NM1-HDG6 - Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, 6 Pad Sprung Race Disc
Torque Capacity - 463 ft/lbs. - Retail Price - $514.85 - Your Price - $375 shipped
Old 03-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by pmohr
It's likely if you continue to drive a car with a dragging clutch.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Turbo 3.5

will I installed a new clutch and the car shifts fine now. the psi plate looks fine, fingers are fine but the disk is trash

btw the nice slave I install about 2 weeks ago exploded when I removed it from the tranny so I put the old one back on and will just rebuild the new one. it was free so I can not return it
Old 12-24-2009, 06:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well I can't create any posts so I had to bump an old one. I'm having the same problem with my Max, and wanted to know if this is possibly the same thing. Ever since I got the Max I had to basically hold the clutch all the way down to the floor almost to get it to shift, but I observed no other issues. The clutch would rattle (I think this is the clutch doing it) when it was NOT pressed in, but would stop when I engaged it.

So yesterday I'm riding down the highway, and I'm in 5th, about to downshift to 4th, but it won't go. No gear will go! So I'm coasting, I get to the side of the road and I'm cursing now, kinda pleading that I can at least get home. It finally goes back into fourth, so I keep it there as long as i can until I get near home.

So getting off the exit, I say to myself, this is the test, let's see what happens. The Max failed! Car shutters as I slow down and I have to pull it over. Now it won't go into any gear AT ALL, and I don't wanna force it. Car is still ON, but it won't shift. I get it towed to the house from here.

Today, I see this thread, and sure enough, the car will go into gear with the car OFF, but starting it in gear or trying to shift it into a gear with the car on makes my car feel like Stephen King's Christine. It just ain't having it! Sooooo, yesterday I was thinking tranny, but now, I'm thinking (and hoping) it is only clutch.

Any ideas, based on this scenario?
Old 12-24-2009, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by cooliojones
Well I can't create any posts so I had to bump an old one. I'm having the same problem with my Max, and wanted to know if this is possibly the same thing. Ever since I got the Max I had to basically hold the clutch all the way down to the floor almost to get it to shift, but I observed no other issues. The clutch would rattle (I think this is the clutch doing it) when it was NOT pressed in, but would stop when I engaged it.

So yesterday I'm riding down the highway, and I'm in 5th, about to downshift to 4th, but it won't go. No gear will go! So I'm coasting, I get to the side of the road and I'm cursing now, kinda pleading that I can at least get home. It finally goes back into fourth, so I keep it there as long as i can until I get near home.

So getting off the exit, I say to myself, this is the test, let's see what happens. The Max failed! Car shutters as I slow down and I have to pull it over. Now it won't go into any gear AT ALL, and I don't wanna force it. Car is still ON, but it won't shift. I get it towed to the house from here.

Today, I see this thread, and sure enough, the car will go into gear with the car OFF, but starting it in gear or trying to shift it into a gear with the car on makes my car feel like Stephen King's Christine. It just ain't having it! Sooooo, yesterday I was thinking tranny, but now, I'm thinking (and hoping) it is only clutch.

atleast your not going thru what im going thru with mines right now...yours should be pretty easy to troubleshoot while as mines...im lookin at a tranny rebuild or new tranny cuz when the cars on...no 1st or 2nd gear...while cars off...no 1st or 2nd gear lol...but i got all other gears on or off just fine...so im probably more pissed at my situation then you are lol...
Old 12-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Clutch isn't disengaging. Possible hydraulic or release problem. FYI the sound you hear with clutch engaged (Foot OFF the pedal) is internal tranny bearing issues, and allthough unrelated might be good to address now.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cool, so I talked to someone else about it today before I have my car towed, and they said similar, that it could be the master or clutch slave cylinders. Thinking about replacing those first to see if it helps (much cheaper if it works). Ever since I had the car I have had to push the clutch nearly down to the floor to get it to engage, so these hypotheses seem reasonable. The car has 270k+ miles on it so maybe they have worn out.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:26 PM

Ok, I have the SAME problem, but I think mine is hydraulic cause eventually it goes away, and this problem only happens in cold weather.

As of august I have a new slave cylinder and fully bled system.

The only difference in mine is that it goes away once the car is warm and has been driven for awhile...

So whatcha think?
Old 12-29-2009, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
Ok, I have the SAME problem, ... eventually it goes away, and this problem only happens in cold weather.

mine goes away once the car is warm and has been driven for awhile...
Mine does the same thing sometimes, I attribute it too having the tranny full of GL5 rather than the GL4. The sychros are slipping rather than grabbing the gears and spinning them up to speed.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:28 AM

Cool, so I talked to someone else about it today before I have my car towed, and they said similar, that it could be the master or clutch slave cylinders. Thinking about replacing those first to see if it helps (much cheaper if it works). Ever since I had the car I have had to push the clutch nearly down to the floor to get it to engage, so these hypotheses seem reasonable. The car has 270k+ miles on it so maybe they have worn out.
I was bout to suggest either the slave or master cylinder. Im not sure about the maxi...but with other cars the cylinders come part of the clutch kit and to remove cylinders u have to remove the clutch.

If the assembly is the same with the max..with 270k miles u might as well replace the clutch too. i think the entire kit is like 200 bucks
Old 12-30-2009, 11:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by cashoit
I was bout to suggest either the slave or master cylinder. Im not sure about the maxi...but with other cars the cylinders come part of the clutch kit and to remove cylinders u have to remove the clutch.

If the assembly is the same with the max..with 270k miles u might as well replace the clutch too. i think the entire kit is like 200 bucks
Well I'm glad it's not like other cars! No I will be able to change it without removing the clutch. Thank God cause I don't know how to remove the clutch or transmission.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:05 AM

That happened to me once, and the result was after i was done installing the tranny, i had to take it apart again because the "through out bearing" was up-side down. That was a real brain-fart in my part.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok, car is running again. Turns out it was the clutch, mechanic said the assembly was "destroyed." So that explains the slipping. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the original clutch either. So now I have a new slave cylinder, and I can return the master I just bought.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:40 AM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

dont return it you will probably need it in the long run these cylinders fail on the 4th gen
Old 01-10-2010, 07:17 AM

It could be the cause of my problems. When I removed the old hydraulic lines out of my car I didn't spot any places where it leaked, and I took apart the slave and it looks to be in good condition, only thing left now is the master, which I don't want to mess with since it's in a fun location...

But hey my clutch is better than ever right now, so I'm not complainin...
Old 01-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Tom I recently went through the exact same problem at the end of this past summer. After troubleshooting everything, the culprit ended up being a spring that completely broke off my clutch disc.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:43 PM

Have about 500 miles on a new clutch I installed myself (first time so if I messed something up inside I wouldn't be totally surprised). Sometimes in reverse it would chatter a little and make a slipping noise (not going forward though). Anyway, last week I replaced the slave line (the one with the block on one end). Yesterday the clutch was fine, but this morning when I drove off to work it felt funny and made a slipping/scraping sound when disengaged. Like a fool I drove to work anyway. By the time I got there the pedal would almost stay on the floor and just barely disengage enough to shift (I actually stopped shifting a few blocks before and even ran a stop sign so I could keep it in gear). So now if I start it up in neutral and then depress the pedal it effects the idle (drops). I thought I was going to see an empty reservoir - but its full. When a slave goes bad does it stay sealed up and not leak all over? The clutch was supposed to be a stage 2 from XTR or something like that - came with the car. What does anyone think? I won't be able to look at it until later this week. What are the odds the new clutch is bad already?
Old 01-19-2010, 07:54 AM

I dont understand u guys...I havent had to replace a clutch with this car but with previous cars the clutch kit comes with both master and slave cylinders.

If u gonna replace the clutch might as well replace both cylinders too. Jus eliminate the headaches and go new all the way.

I seriously doubt the clutch went bad, but if u installed incorrectly......
Old 01-19-2010, 08:01 AM

Sorry, i jus looked and the clutch kit doesnt come with the cylinders. But since its still a mechanical part i wd still change them. THe whole setup would cost 250-300 bucks. I wd replace all and jus be done with it. Hell if the flywheel look worn replace that joint too.

With the maxi, i go hard. Jus my .02