4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HID question and what HID bulbs that fit.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Whatchyou say?

I still say in my book if it will pass inspection, it's just fine. Speeding is illegal too ... but as mentioned, you gotta get caught.

If you are putting HIDs into the stock housings, you are wrong. Plain and simple. It's not about the $$$, it's doing it right that matters. You should read that sticky thread that Phenry and Matrai edited. There's only like 3 posts in there and one of them is mine. Not trying to start an argument or a 'I'm better than you' fuss .... but you have to see that without projectors, you are a danger to everyone you pass on the road.

There's an old saying, "if you aren't going to do the job right, don't attempt to do it at all." Seems to fit here.

Cheers!
Old 04-09-2009, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by JtzMax
I still say in my book if it will pass inspection, it's just fine. Speeding is illegal too ... but as mentioned, you gotta get caught.

If you are putting HIDs into the stock housings, you are wrong. Plain and simple. It's not about the $$$, it's doing it right that matters. You should read that sticky thread that Phenry and Matrai edited. There's only like 3 posts in there and one of them is mine. Not trying to start an argument or a 'I'm better than you' fuss .... but you have to see that without projectors, you are a danger to everyone you pass on the road.

There's an old saying, "if you aren't going to do the job right, don't attempt to do it at all." Seems to fit here.

Cheers!

You wanna give me or get me a pair of projectors then all the power to you bro. I don't have $400 to spend I am sure you don't wanna give away retrofits for free either. Either way you look at it. What happens too ur projectors when you bounce? I 10x worse beam of light that is directed into the eye. The 2001 maxima has HIDs and no projectors. Infact I don't have stock housings on my car if that matters. They have no cap for the bulb. So less glare.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Coolsaber57
lawls...4300k ftw.
OR 5K.

which I am trying to get too increase my Lumen s.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Whatchyou say?

It's your car, you do what makes you happy. I don't have any trouble with my lights at all. This topic has been covered so many times I'm suprised this thread is not locked yet. If you understood what projectors do to properly direct the output of the light, you would be more open to just waiting to do the job properly. I'll make this my last post in here, not trying to upset anyone, but I've said all I can at this point. Good luck, I hope it all goes well for you. I'd enjoy pix if you get some.

Cheers mate!
Old 04-10-2009, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by S1cTech
You wanna give me or get me a pair of projectors then all the power to you bro. I don't have $400 to spend I am sure you don't wanna give away retrofits for free either. Either way you look at it. What happens too ur projectors when you bounce? I 10x worse beam of light that is directed into the eye. The 2001 maxima has HIDs and no projectors. Infact I don't have stock housings on my car if that matters. They have no cap for the bulb. So less glare.
The 2001 Maxima has H4 halogens.

The 2002-2003 has HIDs in a reflector housing that is DESIGNED FOR HID BULBS

If you don't have $400 to spend on retrofit, then don't waste your money on a BS kit. If you can't afford to do it right, that doesn't make it okay to do it wrong. That's like saying "Well, gee, I don't want to wait two whole weeks to get my paycheck from work, so I'll just embezzle some money." then justifying it as "Well, if you were to give me money for free, then I wouldn't embezzle"

Also, 5000k has less output than 4300k. Well documented fact.

Also, removing the metal cap around the bulb increases glare like crazy. It's there to block unfocused light directly from the filament, so removing it will add a ton of glare.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:58 AM
Banned

^like he said the cap inside the headlight is there to reduce glare...and i just happen to have a set from 97/9 headlights that i'll sell you cheap. let me know if interested.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Whatchyou say?

So what do I need and how much is this gonna cost me? Can't I just buy BI-xenon bulbs?

A few things .... you'll need. Projectors (that you'll have to fit / get fit into your headlight housings) and a ballast kit. The difference between xenon and bi-xenon are the projectors. Same bulb, there is no bi-xenon special bulb. Also, if you find a way to put an HID bulb in your stock housing w/o using projectors, you will have terible glare and it will not look right / good.

Sounds like you need to do some reading yet. HID planet .com has some awsome info. That is where a lot of the guys on the .org go for HID info. You can search the .org too, but the planet has lots more info, since it's just HID forums.

yah, except I remember I was giving to buy HIDs with BI-Xenon which gave me hi's and lows for $100 bucks more then what I paid from that guy from Group deals over a year ago. I can't afford projectors and really don't have the time to retrofit them and I lost my dremal tool so thats out. IS there no other options to get hi-beams?

As I said ... the projector gives you hi / low beams. W/o the projector, you only get low beams (and tons of glare). Sorry ... wish things were better. The ballasts don't make one **** of difference for xenon -vs - bi-xenon. The output is the same from the ballast .... the bulb doesn't have a dual filliment like the stock 9004 bulbs (the 9004 bulb burns two diff filliments - one for low, one for hi beams).

ok, thats all I needed to know. I can buy 9004 HIDs that have HI and low. That is all I want. I just wanna pass inspection.

I knew you had PMd me bout this before .... I just had to find it. Sharing PMs is not something I'd normally do, but it's warranted here I suppose.

IBTL
Old 04-11-2009, 10:39 AM

I don't see why our PM was necessary here. but Ok? People including me disagreed with you about it being illegal and you pull that. Thats wonderful MATE.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:58 PM

OR 5K.

which I am trying to get too increase my Lumen s.
Um, just FYI, 4300k has more lumens than a 5000k.

5000 is more blue than 4300k.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Whatchyou say?

My point is that you are not even sure what it is you're looking for and don't fully understand things, by the sound of it. You have an HID kit in your car now, in 'stock' housing without the reflector ... correct me if I am wrong here. You think that is ok and you fail to understand what it is you are doing.

You can get upset if you like, my point here is that you are WRONG for what you are doing / have done.

I hope others will help you from here on out, cause I really have nothing more to say.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:20 AM

cops are jerks and should let us have our fun im in the process of getting the parts to have my headlights retro fitted but hidillusioz i was able to get a set fo fx35 projectors for under 100 bucks on ebay. i got luckey. but i live on worcester ma and its a big city and cops are jerks out here sometimes. so hopefully i wont get pulled over with my 4 projectors im gunna have
this is the look im going for but im looking to do something with the corner any ideas insted of just a stock bulb?

Last edited by new maxi owner; 04-14-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by new maxi owner
cops are jerks and should let us have our fun im in the process of getting the parts to have my headlights retro fitted but hidillusioz i was able to get a set fo fx35 projectors for under 100 bucks on ebay. i got luckey. but i live on worcester ma and its a big city and cops are jerks out here sometimes. so hopefully i wont get pulled over with my 4 projectors im gunna have
this is the look im going for but im looking to do something with the corner any ideas insted of just a stock bulb?
Uh...cop bashing on this forum will get you

Also, please use punctation next time, reading your post gave me a headache.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:20 AM

my apologies
Old 04-17-2009, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by new maxi owner
my apologies
You will be forgiven....this time.