4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Megasquirt PNP Standalone ECU - ORDER THREAD -

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 06:47 AM

We're not getting anywhere for automatic owners if we don't get someone near GA to drop their auto 4th gen off FOR ONE DAY.

Read my words very closely.

April 1st is the cutoff date, I'm not waiting any longer.

If 4th gen maxima owners want the chance at having support for the auto tranny with this unit, we have to find someone to lend their car to MS for one day, not 3 months, just 24hrs.

On april 6th I will be taking a Maxima to Megasquirt, if no one lends their automatic to MS for one day before the 1st then I will take a manual and you auto guys will lose out on ALL support and that's final.

Sad thing is we have a loaner car here in Houston, but it's auto but it's a waste of time and money for us to drive it over there auto and then find out that it's too expensive to do in the first place. This can be avoided if they get to probe an auto 4th gen for one day to see what the auto unit needs to see to run properly.

With that being said... If no-one steps up by the 1st we'll swap our car to manual and drive it GA.

hell maybe the red car might even go

Last edited by aackshun; 03-19-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun
We're not getting anywhere for automatic owners if we don't get someone near GA to drop their auto 4th gen off FOR ONE DAY.

Read my words very closely.

Sad thing is we have a loaner car here in Houston, but it's auto but it's a waste of time and money for us to drive it over there auto and then find out that it's too expensive to do in the first place. This can be avoided if they get to probe an auto 4th gen for one day to see what the auto unit needs to see to run properly.

With that being said... If no-one steps up by the 1st we'll swap our car to manual and drive it GA.

hell maybe the red car might even go
Say what??? You have an auto donor car but say it's too expensive to drive it to Georgia? If no-one steps up you are going to take an auto car, swap it to manual and then drive to Georgia?

Just send the auto donor you have and be done with it. Maybe I am confused or something.....

If there is not going to be any support for the majority (which are autos) then consider me Done with this
Old 03-19-2013, 12:53 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Hmmm... I must be having an off-day today, but - why does an automatic car first need to go to MS for probing just to find out how to make the automatic work? And then maybe later take the designated loaner car to MS and do all the rest of the work? Is the automatic part likely to be a deal-buster on this ECU project if they can't figure out a reasonable way to make it work? Did MS hint at the cost being the real problem? I can tell you that the factory ECU and TCU does some tricky stuff with the solenoid voltages and timing, fluid temps,TPS, MAF, RPMs and a couple of things I never figured out, just to shift gears quietly with no fuss.

I'm still up for what we agreed to do about getting a loaner to MS in Georgia, Personally, I don't care about which transmission will work with their ECU, but that's just me. If MS keeps the loaner for another 24 hrs to figure out the automatic shifting, then wouldn't that take care of all the MS research?

Old 03-19-2013, 07:53 PM

Seems like this process is being overcomplicated..
Old 03-19-2013, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by ABIGBRAIN
Say what??? You have an auto donor car but say it's too expensive to drive it to Georgia? If no-one steps up you are going to take an auto car, swap it to manual and then drive to Georgia?

Just send the auto donor you have and be done with it. Maybe I am confused or something.....

If there is not going to be any support for the majority (which are autos) then consider me Done with this
No, hold your horses there.

We're set up to get the car here in Houston to Atlanta for testing on running the motor, no problem with that.

This is the problem.... If it is tooo complicated to get the auto tcu to work w/ the MS unit then it will be expensive, which is not a word that bodes well with 99% of maxima owners.

And based on what I'm reading below, it doesn't seem that stock TCU support is not likely....

Originally Posted by grey99max
Hmmm... I must be having an off-day today, but - why does an automatic car first need to go to MS for probing just to find out how to make the automatic work? And then maybe later take the designated loaner car to MS and do all the rest of the work? Is the automatic part likely to be a deal-buster on this ECU project if they can't figure out a reasonable way to make it work? Did MS hint at the cost being the real problem? I can tell you that the factory ECU and TCU does some tricky stuff with the solenoid voltages and timing, fluid temps,TPS, MAF, RPMs and a couple of things I never figured out, just to shift gears quietly with no fuss.

I'm still up for what we agreed to do about getting a loaner to MS in Georgia, Personally, I don't care about which transmission will work with their ECU, but that's just me. If MS keeps the loaner for another 24 hrs to figure out the automatic shifting, then wouldn't that take care of all the MS research?

It's as simple as this.

If the auto guys want automatic support, MS has to take a car for one day to figure out what signals the TCU needs to run properly, if it's something complicated it will be very expensive and it will not be feasible for autos to be involved in this project.

But if it's just a matter of mimicking a few signals and relaying some information back to the TCU then it will be very feasible.

None of which I'm too sure of yet because I haven't went FSM diving, nor is there a car in GA willing to lose one day.

IMO this is a relatively simple request. Is there ANYONE near Suwannee, GA that wants to drop their car off for one day? That's all it takes... Seriously.... The rest of the work will be taken care of by Mightmax95, Flipcpt45 and the VERY generous grey99max.

The reason why we won't take the auto across the country is because if it ends up being complicated, the project is dead in the water because they can't even fully test the car in house because the tranny won't work!

Originally Posted by CallMeThatOneGuy
Seems like this process is being overcomplicated..
I know... It's a very simple dilemma.....

Last edited by aackshun; 03-19-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:50 PM

Suwanee is a 4hr drive for me. And my car probably isn't fit for probing anyways lol. What ever happend to each of us donating for a donor car or something? I thought there was a plan here?
Old 03-20-2013, 03:21 AM

wat the hell do these Ga guys drive u mean no 1 has a 4th gen over there.com on somebody go drop car and go to work and pick it up the next day wat so damn hard com GA guys somebody step up.
maybe we can have 150 dollars at the door of MS when u get their.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:32 AM

Why not use the FSM? It tells you exactly what sensors and inputs it uses.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:38 AM

Weird, for some reason I was under the assumption that a vehicle was already there and the testing had begun....
Old 03-20-2013, 05:44 AM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by max1008
Weird, for some reason I was under the assumption that a vehicle was already there and the testing had begun....
Old 03-20-2013, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by CallMeThatOneGuy
Suwanee is a 4hr drive for me. And my car probably isn't fit for probing anyways lol. What ever happend to each of us donating for a donor car or something? I thought there was a plan here?
Please read my very long post above, it explains the dilemma.

Originally Posted by max1008
Originally Posted by maxprivate
No, only my ecu, harness and sensors are @ MS right now.

The reason why there isn't a test car there ATM is well.... Read above.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:09 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by Max streets
wat the hell do these Ga guys drive u mean no 1 has a 4th gen over there.com on somebody go drop car and go to work and pick it up the next day wat so damn hard com GA guys somebody step up.
maybe we can have 150 dollars at the door of MS when u get their.
This. ^ ^ ^ . Aaron, can we offer a bounty to anyone who can leave their car at MS for at least one day??? I'm sure money can be found for a bounty - really sure...

Keep in mind that the ECU-to-TCU wiring for the 95-98 and 99 TCUs are different, so that a MS solution may be possible for one or the other - but to find a solution for both generations of TCU would require MS to perform the "probe" twice. That probably won't happen.

Last edited by grey99max; 03-20-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:53 AM

I think someone did offer a bounty to a donor car.... I will go back through my PM's
Old 03-20-2013, 07:58 AM

95-98s have 1 wire of communication that's not listed in the FSM between ECU and TCM.

Should be easy right?

99's have two wires of communication that's not listed.... Just has two random wires going back and forth for no reason, all other functions are tapped or sent directly to the TCM.

Soooo... Easy enough ey?

Hell maybe I can do some probing myself here....

And harold your situation is different, what you're describing are things the TCM does, not the ECU. We are trying to figure out what the ECU provides to the TCM.

So far after an initial read.... Very little... Which is very good for you auto guys.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:05 AM
Black Lion

I wish I lived In GA I would lend my Auto for probing for a day... no big deal. If a small donation is needed to cover expenses for the donor auto, everyone serious should chip in if need be. Lets not let this opportunity go by if we are so close. Plug and play standlone = awesomeness!!
Old 03-20-2013, 08:09 AM

I'm in add me again please.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:28 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

95-98s have 1 wire of communication that's not listed in the FSM between ECU and TCM.

Should be easy right?

99's have two wires of communication that's not listed.... Just has two random wires going back and forth for no reason, all other functions are tapped or sent directly to the TCM.

Soooo... Easy enough ey?

Hell maybe I can do some probing myself here....

And harold your situation is different, what you're describing are things the TCM does, not the ECU. We are trying to figure out what the ECU provides to the TCM.

So far after an initial read.... Very little... Which is very good for you auto guys.

Kinda- but although the transmission is identical for 95-99, the TCU control functions are the same for the transmission and torque converter. It's the ECU-to-TCU connections that are different. More wires for the 95-98 cars than the 99 uses. I do wonder if the MS ECU was developed for the 95-98 if a 95-98 TCU could be wired into a 99 and have the same control of the transmission while using the new MS ECU. The TCU outputs and the selector switch is the same from 95-99. It's the inputs that are different.

But, the real unknown is whether MS can come up with the control logic for the TCU using either the 95-98 or 99 versions, right? If they can't, then they won't proceed?

Old 03-20-2013, 11:10 AM

How about everybody cough up $5 and we collect this fund for whoever can manage to drive over to GA, i'm in for this.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by grey99max
Kinda- but although the transmission is identical for 95-99, the TCU control functions are the same for the transmission and torque converter. It's the ECU-to-TCU connections that are different. More wires for the 95-98 cars than the 99 uses. I do wonder if the MS ECU was developed for the 95-98 if a 95-98 TCU could be wired into a 99 and have the same control of the transmission while using the new MS ECU. The TCU outputs and the selector switch is the same from 95-99. It's the inputs that are different.

But, the real unknown is whether MS can come up with the control logic for the TCU using either the 95-98 or 99 versions, right? If they can't, then they won't proceed?

How about this.... Whoever has a 99 auto just get a 95-98 TCM and call it a day? Mwahahahahahahahahaha

I will do TCM research on the maximas tomorrow @ work, to see how many different part #'s nissan came up with for the 4th gen.

Originally Posted by eddie982
How about everybody cough up $5 and we collect this fund for whoever can manage to drive over to GA, i'm in for this.
Please re-read, that is not the problem.

So for right now we can do a $$$ bounty for whoever can loan their maxima to Megasquirt before the April 1st deadline.

Requirements:
-Must have a fully functional 4th gen maxima, mainly NO SHIFTING/DRIVING issues (bad wheel bearing, no seats, hole in the floor no big deal).
-Must be able to go without your car for 1 day.

Prize: $100

I'm going to do this on the .org for a week, after that I'm making a craigslist ad

^ Kinda not kidding though...
Old 03-20-2013, 06:34 PM

I got your PM about leaving my car but my tranny is far from stock and Im sure it wouldnt be what MS needs
Old 03-20-2013, 08:39 PM

What's been done it to electronically?

IIRC all you have is a valve body upgrade, unless you snuck in a bunch of other mods we don't know about?
Old 03-20-2013, 08:59 PM

well not much electronically, just the JWT TCU atm. Mechanically a level 10 valve body recalibration, higher stall speed torque converter, phantom grip LSD, and the cooler. I have a stock low mileage tranny that I am thinking about putting in though.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:20 PM

I'm still interested in this, but the main thing right now is about how much are you expecting this to cost? ball park
Old 03-20-2013, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
well not much electronically, just the JWT TCU atm. Mechanically a level 10 valve body recalibration, higher stall speed torque converter, phantom grip LSD, and the cooler. I have a stock low mileage tranny that I am thinking about putting in though.
Go rip off a tcu from the junk yard, grab a buddy and do the swap. Should take an afternoon.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:26 PM

I would have already volunteered if I thought I would want the MS in the near future. Honestly, I cant justify it until I am ready to install the V2 and even then I will be short on cash. I'm a poor .org member lolz. Sorry I cant be more help Aack. Would if I could homie
Old 03-21-2013, 12:05 PM

^ So you're poor and you're refusing to accept $100?
Old 03-21-2013, 12:10 PM
Black Lion

^ So you're poor and you're refusing to accept $100?
Old 03-21-2013, 01:22 PM

Can someone else explain the situation in different words?? I think everyone is lost here...
Old 03-21-2013, 01:51 PM

bro if i lived closer to GA i would loan mine for a day im a lil to far away have you reached out to some of the cats from SC ?
Old 03-21-2013, 02:47 PM

^ Your car is 5mt IIRC, so we can't use you!
Old 03-21-2013, 03:03 PM

^ Your car is 5mt IIRC, so we can't use you!
sold it last year bought a 97 se-l auto

i also have a 95-96 tcm i can donate if need be

Last edited by luke95gxe; 03-21-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:27 AM

Ah win!

And I posted a thread in the SE forum, I'm gonna try my4thgen next.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:16 PM

i got a 96gle 5 speed price on that pnp
Old 03-22-2013, 05:30 PM

I live bt some junkyards they always have maximas there so if you need any part then I can look. just sayingh.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:40 PM

I have the next 9 days off from from work..... do I wanna drive 2000 miles roundtrip to Georgia and spend a night in a crappy motel away from my newlywed wife of 7 1/2 months..... I wanna do my part guys to ensure the autos get supported.... I could use some backing here.. either moral or financial.

Andy
Old 03-22-2013, 09:53 PM

I have the next 9 days off from from work..... do I wanna drive 2000 miles roundtrip to Georgia and spend a night in a crappy motel away from my newlywed wife of 7 1/2 months..... I wanna do my part guys to ensure the autos get supported.... I could use some backing here.. either moral or financial.

Andy
If I can drive from Kansas to sugarland, Texas for a weekend 3.5 swap, you can do this.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:31 PM

Andy
Well... You'll get $100

I'm going to make a craigslist ad, this is absolutely sad, absolutely NO ONE has a working 4th gen near Atlanta, GA that wants to donate their car for one day?

You know what, I'm calling my uncle, surely a member of his church has a 4th gen and can use $100.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:45 PM
Kevlo for President

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/3626896759.html
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/3697023689.html

buy one of dems

have each person put 100 dolla extra as a deposit to buy a vehicle
Old 03-23-2013, 02:14 PM

My car is 100% in working order...well maintained (documented) 99 I30 Auto. No CEL any bounty or gas funds should be sent to my paypal addy of ABIGBRAIN@aol.com

If you want this to happen I NEED fundage!! Don't BS me... put the gas funds into my paypal account. so I can get there and back. I will sleep in a sleeping bag if need be to make this **** happen. I don't extend my services often so a 2000 mile trek is monumental for me.

Andy
Old 03-23-2013, 02:22 PM

Well... I hate to say it but Andy may be our only way out of this....

PONY UP THE CASH GUYS!!!

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/3626896759.html
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/3697023689.html

buy one of dems

have each person put 100 dolla extra as a deposit to buy a vehicle
What happens when the auto tcm is too complicated to make affordable for us?

Then we're stuck with a car, when we already have one here in Houston for that...

Quick Reply: Megasquirt PNP Standalone ECU - ORDER THREAD -