4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fixed oil light flicker

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 05:48 PM

Fixed oil light flicker

My oil light would flicker when I would start it up from letting it sit for a while. Now it does not do that anymore becuase it was bad fuel injector pintle caps and heres what I did. For all 4th Gen owners stop wasting your money on sensor that are not bad. Check your fuel injectors pintle caps which break and let the fuel leak which causes hard start and long cranking for it to start and check your fuel pressure regulator as well. Trust me don't listen to most people that say change your sensor when there not bad and there's no code. Most of them are guessing. I listened to most people over here for a longtime wasted my money on sensor when I should of checked the obvious thing field or spark and it was fuel. Now my car starts on the first attempt every time by fixing my pointless caps and just krazy glueing them so they will never move or fall off.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:44 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The pintel cap plays no role with fuel delivery and has absolutely nothing to do with oil pressure or the oil pressure light for that matter.

Crazy glue will dissolve quickly with the exposure to gas.

Ultimate FAIL...
Old 03-10-2014, 05:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

leaky fuel injectors does not cause oil pressure light to come on.
the prolonged cranking caused the light to flicker which you solved by fixing the initial problem that you had. Don't blame others who tried to help you with you car problems when you misdiagnosed it. Glad its working for you now, but i'm sure you'll have to replace those injectors soon enough.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:47 AM

Without pintle caps your car will fail to hold fuel pressure and the o-ring will fall off and the reason why the light came on was because when I would start the car would idle at low rpm which caused low oil pressure and made the light come on.

Last edited by Maxima 97 SE; 03-10-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Maxima 97 SE
Without pintle caps your car will fail to hold fuel pressure and the o-ring will fall off and the reason why the light came on was because when I would start the car would idle at low rpm which caused low oil pressure and made the light come on.

That right there was your problem. Low rpms at startup. The oil pump is chain driven. So if the engine is moving slowly, so is the oil pump.

There would be valid concern for an oil light flickering if the engine was idling properly and the light came on.

Anything that is chain or belt driven on most any car will not operate optimally if engine rpms are low. For our car, that means AC, steering, alternator, water pump, and of course, the oil pump.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
That right there was your problem. Low rpms at startup. The oil pump is chain driven. So if the engine is moving slowly, so is the oil pump.

There would be valid concern for an oil light flickering if the engine was idling properly and the light came on.

Anything that is chain or belt driven on most any car will not operate optimally if engine rpms are low. For our car, that means AC, steering, alternator, water pump, and of course, the oil pump.
Yeah but that was only when I would first start the car becuase the fuel injectors would have no fuel pressure and which in turn caused low rpm at startup because the engine would barely have enough gas to start. This is all im going to say. If anybody has starting problems just check your fuel pressure before replacing any parts to save your self some money and the hassle of installing and returning parts that were not needed. Theres no way to prevent your pintle caps from breaking and not everybody has broken pintle caps but its always good too make sure that your fuel pressure is up to par and not waisting any money on ects, ckps, cps,or etc. Im just happy that my car starts on the first try and thats all I needed and its a good thing that I took out my fuel rail and saw that my pintle caps were loose and broke. Because before it would crank for at least 6 seconds and then start. It would crank for a very longtime and people would suggest replacing my crankshaft position sensor which was ok and its not there fault its just a suggestion but its always good to make sure if that is the problem before spending your money on parts that are not bad.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:02 AM

the oil light was a SYMPTOM of the problem, not the actual problem. The actual problem got fixed (the injectors or whatever) and as a result, so did the symptom.

It's like saying your runny nose is gone when you took Tamiflu...whereas the underlying issue was the flu you had, and the runny nose was a symptom of the flu. You're basically saying "take Tamiflu for your runny nose!"

Regardless, though...glad you fixed the problem and she starts up nice now.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:00 PM

Gas disolves crazy glue right? That's what I thought. Hey, it works that's all that matters right.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:40 PM

I crazy glued the inside of the pintle cap so where the gas doesn't go through. So hopefully nothing goes bad.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima 97 SE
I crazy glued the inside of the pintle cap so where the gas doesn't go through. So hopefully nothing goes bad.
I knew you'd say that. I was thinking about that because of the way it goes together. All that matters is that you fixed it yourself and it's working and saving you money to keep the car going.