4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What's this Noise? Bad Ac Compressor???

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 08:02 AM

What's this Noise? Bad Ac Compressor???

Hey guys recently after an 2 hour drive my car suddenly starting making this odd noise which is loud at start up. Now I changed the idler pully which made the noise a little less evident but now my guess is the Ac compressor bearing is bad? Video Below. Let me know guys! http://youtu.be/roJqF0R---E
Old 12-20-2014, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMaximaA32
Hey guys recently after an 2 hour drive my car suddenly starting making this odd noise which is loud at start up. Now I changed the idler pully which made the noise a little less evident but now my guess is the Ac compressor bearing is bad? Video Below. Let me know guys! http://youtu.be/roJqF0R---E
I had a similar noise that turned out to be the AC Compressor clutch bearing. To isolate the problem I removed the serpentine belt then started the engine for a minute. With the belt removed there was no noise. I manually turned the ALTERNATOR and the AC pulleys to find the pulley that was causing the problem.

I picked up a replacement clutch from a salvage yard car that has been working fine. IIRC the cost of a new clutch was quite a bit more money than just getting a used replacement. You can cut the belt on a salvage yard car then spin the clutch to see if the bearing is noisy or quiet before you buy it.

We may have a member parting out a Maxima that can make you a sweet deal on a used clutch in the classified section.

NOTE: When I had to pull the AC clutch for replacement, I found an instructional video for a similar series Altima that looks just like a Maxima compressor and clutch. Unfortunately, the guy that made the video left out some key information about how the AC compressor splines can become rusted making clutch remove much more difficult than it appeared in the video. So finally I had to use a puller to remove the clutch from the AC compressor shaft.

Last edited by CS_AR; 12-20-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:45 AM

Sounds exactly like what my mechanic confirmed to me that bearing in the Ac compressor was bad. Now my only concern is it safe for me to drive or will it seize up on me? Because from my knowledge the pulley on the Ac compressor works alongside the alternator.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
I had a similar noise that turned out to be the AC Compressor clutch bearing. To isolate the problem I removed the serpentine belt then started the engine for a minute. With the belt removed there was no noise. I manually turned the alternator and the AC pulleys to find the pulley that was causing the problem.

I picked up a replacement clutch from a salvage yard car that has been working fine. IIRC the cost of a new clutch was quite a bit more money than just getting a used replacement. You can cut the belt on a salvage yard car then spin the clutch to see if the bearing is noisy or quiet before you buy it.

We may have a member parting out a Maxima that can make deal on a used clutch in the classifieds.

NOTE: When I had to pull the AC clutch for replacement, I found an instructional video for a similar series Altima that looks just like our compressor and clutches.
I ordered a remanfactered unit on EBay. The auto part stores wanted a fortune for the Ac compressor $300-$400.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:55 AM

Sounds exactly like what my mechanic confirmed to me that bearing in the Ac compressor was bad. Now my only concern is it safe for me to drive or will it seize up on me? Because from my knowledge the pulley on the Ac compressor works alongside the alternator.
I've got a friend who has been driving his Maxima with a noisy clutch since last spring. I guess it is just the "luck of the draw" as to how long it will run.

I've read where a member used a shorter serpentine belt to bypass the AC compressor pulley. I don't remember if the compressor was removed or he just wanted to bypass a bad compressor pulley.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:02 AM

I've got a friend who has been driving his Maxima with a noisy clutch since last spring. I guess it is just the "luck of the draw" as to how long it will run.

I've read where a member used a shorter serpentine belt to bypass the AC compressor pulley. I don't remember if the compressor was removed or he just wanted to bypass a bad compressor pulley.
Thanks a lot! Now I'm not as worried as before since this sound recently started 3 weeks ago. I guess I'll take a chance at luck. Just couldn't leave my car sitting till I fixed it. Lol. A Chevy Cavalier (2nd Car) isn't exactly a smooth ride compared to these 4th Gens. I was thinking of the Ac bypass but I guess I'll fix the Ac on this car since I ordered the Ac compressor.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:23 AM

Thanks a lot! Now I'm not as worried as before since this sound recently started 3 weeks ago. I guess I'll take a chance at luck. Just couldn't leave my car sitting till I fixed it. Lol. A Chevy Cavalier (2nd Car) isn't exactly a smooth ride compared to these 4th Gens. I was thinking of the Ac bypass but I guess I'll fix the Ac on this car since I ordered the Ac compressor.
Before you remove your compressor and start installing the new one, be sure to check the "in and out" hose size and shape from old to new. I've seen differences between the hose connection shape/size on a 99 model compared to earlier 4th gen years.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:28 AM

Before you remove your compressor and start installing the new one, be sure to check the "in and out" hose size and shape from old to new. I've seen differences between the hose connection shape/size on a 99 model compared to earlier 4th gen years.
I'll be sure to check that out. All the ebay seller asked for was my production which is 6/97. I just got oil for the compressor since they come without oil. PAG46 is the one I purchased. Is that correct for a Calsonic ac compressor?
Old 12-20-2014, 09:53 AM

The eBay seller must be aware of the difference to ask for the date of manufacture.

Here's a thread on the PAG oil viscosity topic/argument below.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...essor-oil.html

Here's a chart that shows PAG46..

http://www.greenvald.co.il/wp-conten...ication-05.pdf

I'll go look in the FSM.. Yep it shows a Calsonic type S

AC note, when I replaced the clutch and removed the compressor to change the oil, I removed the dryer, flushed the system, installed a new dryer, then vacuum pumped the system before charging. One time I had a car that had moisture in the AC system from humid air not being vacuum pumped from the system. The AC line would freeze up from the moisture that kept the compressor from working on a long trip.

Last edited by CS_AR; 12-20-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:32 AM

The eBay seller must be aware of the difference to ask for the date of manufacture.

Here's a thread on the PAG oil viscosity topic/argument below.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...essor-oil.html

Here's a chart that shows PAG46..

http://www.greenvald.co.il/wp-conten...ication-05.pdf

I'll go look in the FSM.. Yep it shows a Calsonic type S

AC note, when I replaced the clutch and removed the compressor to change the oil, I removed the dryer, flushed the system, installed a new dryer, then vacuum pumped the system before charging. One time I had a car that had moisture in the AC system from humid air not being vacuum pumped from the system. The AC line would freeze up from the moisture that kept the compressor from working on a long trip.
Okay I'm ready to go once it arrives. Do you know any places I can find a decent drier? Also I noticed when touch one of the lines (the black one by the engine) it felt like it had a lot pressure going thru it.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:55 AM

Okay I'm ready to go once it arrives. Do you know any places I can find a decent drier? Also I noticed when touch one of the lines (the black one by the engine) it felt like it had a lot pressure going thru it.
I picked up a Murray from a local parts store for $18 and change. I see RockAuto.com has dryers ranging from $8 to $10 and change. Make sure whatever dryer you purchase comes with o-rings. I picked up an assorted package of green o-rings at the auto parts store. I had more trouble with the dryer o-rings than any other part of the job. Luckily the old o-rings were still good so I had to reuse them because the new ones from the assortment pack would not fit properly. I replaced the dryer for long haul. We had a member a few months ago that found descant beads from the dryer up in the AC lines.

Most likely your compressor is still good. It was the clutch bearing that was noisy on mine.

I bought a can of AC system flush like the one in the picture for $17. I used 1/2 of the can on the condenser side and the other 1/2 on the evaporator side then followed up by blowing out the system with compressed air.