4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

cleaning headliner

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 03:40 PM

cleaning headliner

This vehicle, formerly my wife's daily, is now mine. There are many things about it that apparently didn't bother her but that annoy the S out of me. For example: dents in the leather from child seats. Also: these stains on the headliner as shown.

I'm pretty sure the small brown spots in a splatter pattern in the middle of the roof is "chili". I'm not sure where the larger circular discoloration above the rear seat came from / what it is.

What's the most sympathetic method to clean the headliner / avoid the headliner sagging ?

Thanks -

BrianA

Old 01-18-2019, 03:47 AM

I will once again let you know that based on my personal experience, a mild mix of blue Dawn, warm to very warm water and a damp micro-fiber works very well.

Use very light pressure initially, increasing once you get a feel for it so you don’t “detexturized” the fabric.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
I will once again let you know...
In fairness now you were talking about cleaning engine rooms earlier. I read 'em all (just I suspect you do too) and of course I respect your advices.

Thank you for sharing your experience cleaning 20 year old upside down Japanese fabric and glue things. I myself have None in this regard.

Should I try applying a vacuum cleaner to the headliner re: removing any remaining cleaning solution / wet dirt - or better to let it air dry and brush again?

I'm trying to Not Cause any of the headliner to fall down you see. Thanks again.

BrianA in Houston
Old 01-18-2019, 11:30 AM
JvG

Originally Posted by reallywildstuff
In fairness now you were talking about cleaning engine rooms earlier. I read 'em all (just I suspect you do too) and of course I respect your advices.

Thank you for sharing your experience cleaning 20 year old upside down Japanese fabric and glue things. I myself have None in this regard.

Should I try applying a vacuum cleaner to the headliner re: removing any remaining cleaning solution / wet dirt - or better to let it air dry and brush again?

I'm trying to Not Cause any of the headliner to fall down you see. Thanks again.

BrianA in Houston
Brian, Ive also been successful by using Dawn, liquid laundry detergent, garden hose's and shop vacs to clean interiors.

I feel that the Dawn solution might work, but might weaken the bond between the head liner and what it's bonded to. I'd let it air dry. I think that the vacuum cleaner might cause the layers to separate, then sag.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:42 PM

i used the dawn solution on a microfiber cloth to blot the chili away

i then rinsed the areas i used the dawn on with clean water on another microfiber cloth

i didn't really hit the huge other discoloration above the driver's side rear seat passenger because WOW its amazing what you notice all at once when you really start looking, this car has had a leak at the top of the rear window glass for quite some time.

not riding with the chili on the ceiling was good enough for the moment so i didn't go any further trying to clean anything