4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Idle issue's

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 03:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Idle issue's

Hi please help me my maxima 2.0l QX South African model giving me grief every time i get 2 a stop street and press my clutch in d rev goes up n down continuously it only stops when i move d stick in2 neutral n some times it will do that regardless of whether i put it in neutral I've cleaned d throttle body d Idle Air Control Valve but still does that I've been told by mechanics it's a vacuum issue but d air system on a maxima is difficult I have no understanding of it can anyone help me
Old 02-04-2020, 05:14 PM
JvG

Your description is not as clear as it should be.

Are you saying that the idle speed is steady when the shiftee is in neutral and your foot is not pressing on the clutch pedal?

Also that idle speed is not steady if you have the transmission in first gear or reverse, and when the clutch pedal is depressed to the floor?
Old 02-04-2020, 10:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry n yes it is steady when in neutral n d clutch is in or out it only does this when I come 2 a stop n d car is in gear with clutch in if i move it 2 neutral d high low rev will go away after 1 or 2 last revs then it revs normal it actually will rev up again if I move d shiftee left of right it really is weird thanks 4 ur reply
Old 02-05-2020, 12:10 AM
JvG

Does it act the same way if you press on the brake or you dont?
Old 02-05-2020, 03:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

No not when pressing d brake it only happens if d car has been driven n comes 2 a stop it feels almost like something is supposed 2 open or close n it doesn't so that rev will keep going high n low between 1 n 2.5 until I take d stick out of gear
Old 02-05-2020, 03:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

1 day i took out d 1 way valve n it didn't stop doing that so had 2 put d 1 way valve back in n a mechanic told me it's got something 2 do with d vacuum but that's all i got 4m him
Old 02-05-2020, 10:38 AM
JvG

It would help if you used full sentences and normal English. Slang and abbreviations which are understood in one part of the planet might not be understood elsewhere. Most of our members live in the USA and Canada. We do have members in other countries, including a few in South Africa.

I really don't understand what you are talking about.

I would like to help, but cant. Not enough understandable information from you yet.

Old 02-15-2020, 06:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok I apologize for that. Ok. When I am driving and I have 2 come to a complete halt as soon as I press my clutch pedal in the idle on my car goes up to 2500 rpm and down to 1000 rpm and back up to 2500 rpm and back down to 1500 repeatedly. The only time this issue stops is when I put my gear shifter in d neutral position, there are times when even though I put the shifter in neutral that still happens meaning the Idle will rise and fall erratically please help as my car is old and I can't single out exactly which part is causing that
Old 02-15-2020, 02:08 PM
JvG

All our cars are old. Lol

The iacv valve probably needs cleaning out.
Also known as Idle Air Control Valve .
It's job is to provide air for the engine at idle. It might have sticky deposits in it. I use carburetor cleaner for that.

You might also want to clean your throttle valve while you have access to that.
Use throttle valve spray for that. Carb cleaner would disolve a Teflon coating in there. I open the throttle, then spray and scrub with a toothbrush. Then wipe with a paper towel.

Also look for vacuum leaks in hoses and connections.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you very much Mr JVG really appreciate the help will get down to it while I'm on the topic of my car is it possible to add a turbo to this engine it's a VQ20DE engine
Old 02-16-2020, 12:28 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by Ollies
Thank you very much Mr JVG really appreciate the help will get down to it while I'm on the topic of my car is it possible to add a turbo to this engine it's a VQ20DE engine
As I recall, some members in South Africa had cars with the 3.0 engine.

It would be far cheaper and easier to find and buy Maxima's or Cefiro with the 2.5 or 3.0 engine than to turbo yours.

As I advise everyone, catching up on all deferred maintaince issues can restore any available horsepower close to what Nissan gave it in the first place.

There is a section of the main Maxima forum which is about high performance modifications.
Some members do install turbo setups. A's far as I'm aware, there are no dedicated bolt on turbo setups for these cars.

All 4th generation Maxima in North America had the 3.0 engine.

You might want to look into Nitrous setups.
I'm not personally familiar with them.

I'm mostly just into keeping my 1996 Maxima 3.0 on the road and helping other members do the same.

Best wishes.

By the way, what part of South Africa do you live in.
like province, or near major city there?
Old 02-16-2020, 01:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My province is Kwa-Zulu Natal my city is Durban we do have 3.0l so when I can afford it I will look into getting that engine I really like this car it's awesome that's why I asked about turbo I actually would like to make it look as awesome as possible the previous owner never did anything on this car so everything is exactly the same as the day he bought it all the parts are as old as the car lol but it still has a smooth beautiful ride and aside from the rich idle and the high low rev everything else is good. A real solid car by Nissan.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:44 PM
JvG

You might find that it's a whole lot simpler to buy a different Maxima which already has the 3.0 engine.

Or simply drive and enjoy the car you own.
It might serve you well for a few years.

is your car a manual transmission or an automatic?

How many km has it been driven?

Mine is a manual transmission with the 3.0.
It has been driven 220,000 miles. Or 354,000 km I've owned it 14 years and have driven it for 120,000 miles.or 193,000 km
Old 02-29-2020, 03:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you 4 all ur help JVG i managed 2 sort out d problem i was cleaning the IACV and noticed that the plastic screw was fully open after putting the IACV back and starting the car and finding everything was the same I tightened the screw and the idle was perfect thank you man
Old 02-29-2020, 10:49 AM
JvG

Originally Posted by Ollies
Thank you 4 all ur help JVG i managed 2 sort out d problem i was cleaning the IACV and noticed that the plastic screw was fully open after putting the IACV back and starting the car and finding everything was the same I tightened the screw and the idle was perfect thank you man
Glad that worked for you.

Enjoy driving your car.