4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Bose Unit on 99 has to much static and poor reception and getting worse.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 02:07 PM

Bose Unit on 99 has too much static and poor reception and getting worse.

Yes the antenna has been replaced a while ago and I was hoping it would get better, but time seems to be killing the radio too. CD player gave up the ghost years ago. 22 years old is no excuse.

Anybody get their Bose back to playing like new? Are the speakers a weak point as well?

I'd like to keep the Bose at a low fix cost and sounding close to new.

Is it possible? If so, how did you do it?

Last edited by KP11520; 01-02-2021 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:57 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

My father CD player stopped working on his old 96. He had the HU rebuilt in the early 2000's.

My 98 HU failed too, around 05.

My father also got a rebuilt unit for his 07 Quest a couple years ago. That one stopped working correctly as well.

My sister's 01 Sentra had radio problems.

The only original radio parts on my 99 when I got it were the front speakers and the foam surrounds were gone.

The 00 I parted out had a dead sub.

See a pattern here?

If you are dead set on keeping Bose, check the physical condition of the speakers. If good and they still sound good get a Pathfinder HU.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:09 PM

Thanks for all the Good News JS. LOL

If the foam surrounds are intact in all 4 corners, I might consider swapping the head for rebuilt or a new Alpine or better that has pre outs and find appropriate wiring harnesses or rewire. But a Head, 4 channel amp and speakers and wiring is going to be expensive to get back to at least where I started when new. OUCH.

Remember, my car needs 2 fenders, a front bumper cover with Fog assemblies and the rot around the rear wheels and trunk pan rot at the right rear wheel all done. That means paint too. Did I say my trim has all been weather stripped as well? OUCH!

Never spent a night in a garage or any place covered. My old girl looks beat, but she's still a tiger in the sack!

Originally Posted by JSutter
My father CD player stopped working on his old 96. He had the HU rebuilt in the early 2000's.

My 98 HU failed too, around 05.

My father also got a rebuilt unit for his 07 Quest a couple years ago. That one stopped working correctly as well.

My sister's 01 Sentra had radio problems.

The only original radio parts on my 99 when I got it were the front speakers and the foam surrounds were gone.

The 00 I parted out had a dead sub.

See a pattern here?

If you are dead set on keeping Bose, check the physical condition of the speakers. If good and they still sound good get a Pathfinder HU.
Old 01-09-2021, 07:16 AM

Has anyone pulled Bose speakers from different year Max and reused? I guess they are compatible although they may appear to differ in form, shape, mounting hole, connector.

Old 01-09-2021, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by saig
Has anyone pulled Bose speakers from different year Max and reused? I guess they are compatible although they may appear to differ in form, shape, mounting hole, connector.

For some reason, JS suggested a Pathfinder HU, I'm assuming from the same year? maybe the CD unit is more resilient as it is an SUV?
Old 01-09-2021, 05:02 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

The Pathfinder Bose from around 02-04? is a popular swap. It has a 6 disc changer built in, might be the reason so many have recommended it.

I used an Alpine HU with the stock Bose speakers and amps. I used a line level converter at first and then switched to the pre outs. It worked just fine for years. I also added an amp and sub and rear tweeters.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:35 AM

Just forget about a sound system Keith ... they’re much over rated.

The sound of your finely tuned and meticulously maintained VQ30 should be music enough.

Emerite?
Old 01-11-2021, 05:39 PM

I have the factory Bose head unit from my '96 if you want it. I have no idea if it works. It was in the dash when I bought the car, but not connected because someone had chopped off the factory harness. I swapped my whole aftermarket system over from another car and stuck the Bose on a shelf.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:06 PM

That is really nice of you to offer. It's nice to see good people are still around and happy to help!!!!

I haven't pulled the speakers (and covers and/or door panels) to see if I have anything to work with yet. Maybe I'll just drive like I'm in the shower and sing to myself! LOL I have no idea what I'll do..... If anything.... Ron (Turbobink) jinxed me..... Again! LOL I'm going to have to send extra retired NYers to his neighborhood for that!

Originally Posted by komik
I have the factory Bose head unit from my '96 if you want it. I have no idea if it works. It was in the dash when I bought the car, but not connected because someone had chopped off the factory harness. I swapped my whole aftermarket system over from another car and stuck the Bose on a shelf.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by KP11520
Ron (Turbobink) jinxed me..... Again! LOL I'm going to have to send extra retired NYers to his neighborhood for that!
I retract all previous statements and potential MoJo.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
I retract all previous statements and potential MoJo.
Remember in Kentucky Fried Movie they did a Bruce Lee Farce called "A Fistful of Yen"? "Take him to DETROIT" was the feared threat!

Now it's sending NYers. LOL

It is sounding better and running well @ 226K. Just replaced all the coil packs with Hitachi. RockAuto has a closeout special averaging $30 each.

Kitty Cat purrrrrs.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:55 PM

That is really nice of you to offer. It's nice to see good people are still around and happy to help!!!!

I haven't pulled the speakers (and covers and/or door panels) to see if I have anything to work with yet. Maybe I'll just drive like I'm in the shower and sing to myself! LOL I have no idea what I'll do..... If anything.... Ron (Turbobink) jinxed me..... Again! LOL I'm going to have to send extra retired NYers to his neighborhood for that!
I guess I could bench test this one. I went out back to the shop to make sure I could still find it and was surprised it had wires. Now I kinda remember getting a stock harness from a junkyard many years ago. Even if you don't want it I may hook it up this weekend out of my own renewed curiosity. I also have a (very dusty) CD changer minus the essential cartridge. I could probably discard that, but you never know.

Name:  wpUuZsOh.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  138.2 KB

Name:  seopiSHm.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  23.7 KB Name:  3eMNdhJm.jpg
Size:  25.6 KB Name:  Elswlc0m.jpg
Size:  17.6 KB
Old 01-20-2021, 01:20 PM

It is sounding better and running well @ 226K. Just replaced all the coil packs with Hitachi. RockAuto has a closeout special averaging $30 each.

Kitty Cat purrrrrs.
I purchased the same Hitachi coil packs from RockAuto, but when they arrived I noticed the part numbers/brand name had been scraped off. They came in a Hitachi box, but I have no idea what brand these coils actually are.

Old 01-20-2021, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by 98 i30t 5spd
I purchased the same Hitachi coil packs from RockAuto, but when they arrived I noticed the part numbers/brand name had been scraped off. They came in a Hitachi box, but I have no idea what brand these coils actually are.

Call and discuss with RA for return. There is no way to prove authenticity of the part for warranty claim if you need it. You'd better do it quickly.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by saig
Call and discuss with RA for return. There is no way to prove authenticity of the part for warranty claim if you need it. You'd better do it quickly.
I just received them today and I’ll be returning them tomorrow morning. I don’t even need them, I was just going to put them on the shelf just in case. According to RockAuto’s website, manufacturers buy parts from other manufacturers and back up the parts with their warranty. Only problem is, I don’t know where Hitachi bought these coils from because someone scraped off the name.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:38 PM

Mine came definitely brand new and with the white sticker on. No sticker? Send 'em back and make them send PROPER ones at their expense.

Closeout doesn't mean used, tried, defaced and/or returned.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:16 AM

Mine came definitely brand new and with the white sticker on. No sticker? Send 'em back and make them send PROPER ones at their expense.

Closeout doesn't mean used, tried, defaced and/or returned.
The six coils I received are definitely brand new and they all have a white sticker on them. But what if I remove the sticker and place it on my radiator? Does it now mean I have a Hitachi radiator? Stickers mean nothing.
Recheck your coils to make sure the ones you received aren’t scraped off like mines.

This is straight from RockAuto website:

“the part I received looks like it was made by a different brand or company! Sometimes manufacturers buy parts from other manufacturers and re-sell them as their own. In doing so, they declare the quality of the part worthy of their name and stand behind the product with their warranty. Finding a Brand Y part in a Brand X box can be a nice surprise when Y is the vehicle manufacturer (OEM) or another respected brand. It can be frustrating when Y, sold under its own brand, costs less than X.

We have no control over manufacturer supply chains. When we buy a part from Brand X, we pay X's price for it, and your price is based on our cost.

Also see "Private Label Pkg".

If you disagree with a manufacturer's purchasing decision, you may return the part (see "What is your return policy?" and "How do I set up a return?"). Shipping is not refundable, and if you re-order the same brand and part number, you'd likely receive an identical part.”

Old 01-21-2021, 07:53 AM

I don't know what you're implying about what was sent. Mine with the stickers, looked exactly like the ones I pulled out. Which were replaced by a Nissan Dealer in 2009. EXACTLY!

And the car runs better.

Good luck with that! But please remember..... This is a Bose HU thread.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:03 AM

I know this a Bose HU thread, I only replied to it because I noticed you purchased the Hitachi coils from RockAuto. All I’m saying is recheck the new coils you received from RA to make sure the part numbers weren’t scraped off like the ones I received. You still have the ones from the dealer from 2009? Are the part numbers from the dealership coils still intact? Or have they been scraped off too?